Allebles and Paragories

Oram ponders the deeper meaning of Dancing Bears.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ranger-in-Chief
Renown: 960
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Allebles and Paragories

16 Ashan 721

”The bears clearly represent slave labor,” insisted the one student, ”force by an oppressive patriarchy to dance to the tune of their masters!”

”That makes no sense!” replied the second. ”the main antagonist is a bear himself. The bears must represent something else…”

”Slave masters recruit overseers from within slave ranks!” persisted the first student. ”It’s a metaphor for the process of co-option…”

Oram sipped his tea and listened to the students who had joined him at the Scholar’s Nook. While all the bickering and unfamiliar big words made the hunter’s head hurt, he nonetheless was finding this exercise useful. He had been puzzling for trials about the meaning of the story of Si and the Dancing Bear. And he had no question that it had meaning. The book containing it had appeared among a collection of books and maps that had all promised to be highly useful to his intelligence efforts against Slag’s Deep. That book, and it’s fable, had been strikingly out of place with all the other stuff, and after puzzling over it a while, Oram had decided that this book, far from being a useless accident, might actually be the most important clue in the pile. But he had not been able to see how, no matter how many times he’d pored over it.

Oram remembered hearing stories involving talking animals before, and he knew that they weren’t just stories about talking animals. Usually they were meant to teach morals, and that, he had assumed, was the point of this story as well: specifically, that it was a fable about not going against an enemy unprepared, and that some enemies might require specific weapons or tactics to defeat. The traveler had felt pretty clever when he came up with that, so he decided to come here, to the Scholar’s Nook, to see if any of the even cleverer and better-read students agreed, or if not, if they had a better idea what the moral might be.

He’d at first thought to go to the Viden Academy itself, but quickly realized this might not be a good idea; everybody there was too busy to set aside time for requests like his. But the Scholar’s Nook seemed to be full of students who were happy to start a random conversation with a stranger about an interesting book or subject, and so he decided to try to ask for help there. He brought the book along, tried to strike up a conversation with some bored-looking students, and offered to buy them hot chocolate if they would spend time looking at the book, listening to the story, and sharing their thoughts about what it might mean.

The ploy had succeeded beyond Oram’s wildest dreams. Three students had quickly joined his table and, for the cost of a few mugs of (albeit stiffly-priced) cocoa, coffee, and tea, settled down for a long, in-depth discussion of the meaning behind the story of Si and the Dancing Bear.

That discussion had quickly taken a turn Oram hadn’t expected, though. He had been thinking in terms of a morality fable or parable, and had assumed the students would end up suggesting various morals the story was supposed to be teaching. Instead, they began speaking in terms of “allegory” and “metaphors”. Everything and everyone in the story represented somebody or something specific in the real world. The bear was slavery. Si the Smith was the presumptuous, complacent, bourgeois class that thought they could remedy the situation through simple engagement and negotiation, only to discover to its cost that defeating slavery required radical systemic change. Or not. It really had something to do with the Shattering, and the nature of Immortals. Or it was really an encoded alchemy text.

This went on for perhaps half a break before the students needed to excuse themselves to attend to their various affairs, leaving Oram with an open book, a cold tea, and a spinning head. Browsing the books on the shelves of the Scholar’s Nook revealed a literary dictionary that explained terms like “fable”, “parable”, “allegory”, “metaphor” and so forth, all the various words the students had used and clearly expected the traveler to know. The dictionary tended to describe these terms abstractly, with definitions that sounded very similar to each other. The one new thing Oram came away with was that allegories often used figures that represented other real-world things. So an argument between a talking owl and a talking bear might represent a dispute between Alberach Kura and Councillor Bao Bao, for instance.

Putting the dictionary back and returning to his own table and book, Oram pondered while he drank the cold remains of his tea. Maybe Cassion wasn’t just teaching him a moral about how to go about his project, Oram realized. Maybe he was actually giving him some sort of coded information about the actual situation he was up against in Slag’s Deep. It was a lot to think about, and by the time he finished his tea and left the shop, he was no closer to figuring out the true message of the story than he had been when he walked in.

He thought about it the rest of that afternoon and evening, and even while he lay in his cot, getting ready to fall asleep. Tired from all the fruitless thinking and puzzling, Oram decided to leave it until the morning. Reluctantly, his spinning mind calmed down enough to give itself over to silence and dreams.
word count: 938
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ranger-in-Chief
Renown: 960
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Allebles and Paragories

17 Ashan 721

When Oram woke up the next morning, he wasn’t much more enlightened than he had been the evening before, but he was better-rested and thinking more clearly. He got up, made himself some coffee, then placed the book and his writing-slate side-by-side on the worktable. Putting on his reading glasses, he spent several bits looking back and forth between the open pages of the book and the blank surface of the slate, hoping that some insight would jump out at him from the one and land on the other.

Finally, with a sigh, he picked up his chalk and jotted down: ”Bear-something someone powerful, so powerful even a strong hero, even an Immortal like Cassion, would be hard-pressed to defeat it. Si needs something to defeat the Bear. Something specific he doesn’t have.
“There is a greater bear and a lesser bear. One is a student or disciple of the other. The Warden is one of them? Which one? And it can turn others into bears, too. A corrupting power?”

A power? Oram thought. He looked over into a corner of the tent where Amoach stood, regarding him. ”Didn’t the Baron write something about “powers beneath” in his book about the colored sands of Scalvoris?” he asked the diri. The question was rhetorical, and Oram already knew the answer to it was ‘yes’, so the diri just looked at him without responding. Oram thought of something else, then pulled out the book on the Scalvoris sands. ”Slag’s Deep mines sand,” he said, after perusing the book for a few bits. ”And they dig deeper than that, too, I bet. Maybe they mined all the way into those powers beneath?”

Again, Amoach simply looked at him, not saying anything. Oram looked away, staring unseeing at the tent wall in front of him, tapping the chalk absent-mindedly on the slate. At length he wrote a few more notes. Then, after thinking a few bits more, he pulled out pen and paper and did something that came very painfully to him: he composed a letter:

17 Ashan 721

Dear Albarech Kura

My name is Oram Mednix. We’ve crossed paths before, worked together last arc to save Faldrass. You might not remember me. Anyway, I’m working with Chief Ranger Elliott now, mostly in Egilrun. Welfare Bao Bao requested a while back that we all pray to our Immortals, especially those of us who are marked, so I did. I prayed to Cassion. And he answered! I think. Sort of.

I received a bunch of books and maps, all relevant to our intelligence work against Slag’s Deep. Everything except one thing. A story about Si the Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear. I think its supposed to be some sort of coded message or allegory. I haven’t figured everything out yet, but this is what I get so far:

Cassion is on our side. He doesn’t like whatever it is we’re fighting against in Slag’s Deep and wants to help.

He doesn’t have himself whatever tool or ability he needs, though, to defeat Slag’s Deep, and so he can’t give it to us, either.

There’s some kind of powerful being or influence down there, and the Warden is its disciple or protege or thrall or something.

The next bit is more of a guess on my part, so take it with even more salt than the last bit:

This powerful something or other has one specific power that distinguishes it. It can grant this ability to others. It can also block those outside Slag’s Deep from using that ability. So maybe there’s some ability or magic or something people in Egilrun and Scalvoris are suddenly having trouble using? Something they could do before and now can’t? I haven’t figured that bit out yet. But whatever that is, this thing is able to do it a whole lot and enable its followers to do it, too. And there’s some other specific thing that Cassion thinks is the best way to counter it.

I’m also guessing it might have something to do with what the late Baron von Smooglenuff called in his books the “Powers Beneath.” He thought the colored sands around Scalvoris came from beneath the earth, and were driven to the surface by some sort of “Powers Beneath”. Slag’s Deep mines a lot of sand, doesn’t it, for glassmaking? Maybe the Warden dug too deep and contacted whatever those powers were, beneath all the sand.

I’m using up a lot of paper and ink for guesses that might well be wrong. And I know you’re busy. So I’ll stop here. I’m investigating these things still. What the Powers Beneath are. What the Warden’s doing. What the “Dancing Bear’s” power might be, and what might counter it. If you think any of this is any good, let me know. If there’s any guidance you can share, something you want to me to look into, let me know.

I’m writing this without the Rangers’ knowledge. Chief Ranger Elliott can be trusted, but he thinks the Rangers have been badly infiltrated, so I’m not sending this through them.

Regards,

Oram Mednix

When Oram was finished with the letter, he sealed it with wax and delivered it by hand to the Council Halls, to the attention of the Alberach, care of the current Proper. That was something Signy his sister-in-law had suggested. It was the first time Oram remembered ever doing something so important based on Signy’s advice. He hoped it was the right thing to do.
 ! Message from: Peg
While he's delivering the letter, he overhears a conversation. It's two people discussing Egilrun. It goes like this.
"I don't understand where all that anti-mage sentiment comes from, anyhow?"
"Right. I mean, it never used to be that way."
"Right, weird huh?"
"Ah well, at least all the mages are in Slags Deep."
"Yeah. Is that a good thing?"

It's strange. All the way home he's followed by a monkey who throws nuts at his head. It's a very good shot.
word count: 1054
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Avalon
Race: Prophet
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Re: Allebles and Paragories

Review Rewards

Name: Oram the Monkey Man

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:
[Etiquette] Offer people something for their time.
[Meditation] Letting your mind go blank can help you relax and concentrate.
[Research] It can be useful to consult people with more expertise than you.
[Storytelling] A story may sometimes be a fable or an allegory.
[Storytelling] Audiences tend to read their own experiences and concerns into the stories they encounter.
[Writing] Writing a formal letter is hard.

Loot: A new friend?

Renown: 5 (for writing to the Albarech and for creatively involving students in his deliberations about the book)

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriate to level

Notes:
Sometimes asking questions helps. Sometimes, not so much....

I confess - I'm impressed. Oram realizes his limitations and figures out ways around them. In this case, he knows he might need some intellectual help, and instead of the University, he picks Scholar's Nook. Even more than that, he thinks actively about each option, letting the reader in on the decision. He's a pretty smart dude!

When he considers what to write Kura, I love the process his mind goes through. He weighs the information and breaks it down, giving her the pieces that he determines are most worthy of passing along. If he doesn't have enough evidence, it's not included or is included with a note saying "Put this on the 'maybe' list..."

I always enjoy how you write Oram with a bit of humor and fun. Research threads like this can be challenging to write but you did amazing with the material you were given.

Ahhhhh...the monkey. I might love that monkey.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!

Avalon

word count: 294
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”