• Solo • Everything You Cling To Will Rot

3rd of Saun 720

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

Most shops, parlors, workshops, and other businesses are found here, as well as the homes of those wealthy who are not of royal title. Guilds bleed the citizens dry of coin through taxes and fees. Trade is limited in Quacia, and supplies can be expensive.
Vito Rossau
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: 110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Everything You Cling To Will Rot

3RD OF SAUN, ARC 720
“You are dying, Herald.”

Herald, they spat at him over and over. The incessant mockery of worshippers long dead echoed in his ears, rattling his aching skull as a child might pull a bell’s rope to hear it chime. To hear himself called Herald had been a dream, an aspiration he had strived towards for longer than even he could recall – since his prepubescent trials, when he would listen to the Heralds speak and pray above their congregations, and nearly trip over his feet to appease them. How simple his life had been when he was but a child, an orphan striving to gain the respect of his masters; how little he himself had changed in the arcs that had passed since then.

A child tripping over himself to fulfil the will of others.

“Did you hear me, Herald? Have you lost your hearing along with your blood?”

“I have not,” scratched forth from the dry throat of Vito Rossau, his voice as rough from its lack of use as the stone floor beneath his limbs. There was not a part of his body that did not ache with a soreness that was strange and unfamiliar to him, one that went beyond the fatigues and aches of ordinary overexertion. It was foreign.

The room – if it was a room at all, for there was too little light within for him to make out any part of it – would have been silent then, had it not been for the low groan of… people, perhaps, all around him, their pains reduced to mere background noise, but the voice from before was silent for a handful of trills. His spark bristled at the palpable emotions in the air even so; the strength of an anxious energy that centered somewhere before him. It, too, was strange and unlike the tangles he had encountered before, if it was even a tangle to start with.

“I said that you are dying, do you not care?” came the voice again, and by this time Vito had awoken enough to listen closer. It sounded vaguely female, vaguely familiar, vague in every sense of the word – for even when he tried, he could not identify any other distinguishing characteristics of it.

When his hands moved to push against the floor, it was not stone he felt beneath him, but flesh and tattered cloth. With but a trill of hesitation, he pressed against the cold, unmoving form below and pushed himself to his knees, where he stayed. His head spun in the darkness, and he was glad for the fact that he could not see the room around him spinning. Each breath pulled into his lungs was slow and labored, made worse for the fetid stench of old blood and flesh and stone permeated the humid air around him.

“Where are we?”

“You have ignored me yet again,” said the woman lost in the darkness, irritated by his disrespect.

Vito wiped a wetness away from his eyes that felt too thick to be tears and too thin to be anything but blood. It covered his face and matted in his hair, and when he coughed, more of it spat into his hand. Yet the taste on his tongue was old, and not the sharp, metallic taste of fresh blood.

“Are you near? Have you any source of light?” Vito asked, as he chose to ignore the voice’s irritations in favor of trying to make sense of his own situation. When she did not respond, he attempted to push himself to his feet, and instead found himself falling against another unmoving mound of flesh below.

A low hiss escaped from the cracks between his gritted teeth. His body was weakened, hurting, hungry. Never before had he experienced a hunger of such magnitude, even as a child living in Shanty that missed more meals than he found. It was almost enough to make him sick, if the smell of bodies all around him did not sicken him first. He swallowed the taste of old blood, squeezed his hands into fists, and pushed himself up again, successfully this time.

“Are you still there, woman?” he called into the shadows, but was once again met with pointed silence.

So he moved, his legs shaking with each step, threatening to collapse beneath him. His limbs moved as if each miniscule movement was a battle, a motion they struggled to gain control over; if only he could see himself, he would see the awkwardness of a body that had gone far too long without moving of its own will. The ground was uneven below, littered with more lifeless forms than he cared to count as he stepped over them. He walked until he felt something loom up ahead, and reached out a hand to touch cold stone.

“Herald?”

A different voice echoed this time off the stone walls, small and oh so afraid. In his disorientation, Vito braced himself against the wall and tried to peer out into the darkness.

“H-Herald Rossau?”

Herald, he repeated scornfully again in his head, as if he could beat meaning into the word.

“Yes, my child, I hear you,” answered Vito, scraping together what he still could of his voice to carry across the space. “Go to the wall if you can. Follow it until you reach me.”

Above the resounding groans, a shuffling sound reached his ears as someone fought their own way out from the downed bodies and to the wall. The trills stretched on forever as he listened to the shuffling grow closer and closer, inch by inch, until finally he felt something brush against his side. It – they – jumped away in initial surprise, but just as quickly latched small hands onto the sleeve of his robes and clung as tightly to the biqaj as they could.

“Did you banish her, Herald?” the child – a young boy, he thought – asked quickly, his voice half-muffled in Vito’s robes. “The hungry lady-ghost?”

“Lady–” he began with a start. “Come, child. We haven’t the time for this. We need to find a way out of here, unless you would prefer to lie down and rot with the rest. How long have you been awake, child? Have you any idea which direction Captain Morandi and the others went?”

“Captain Morandi…?”
Last edited by Vito Rossau on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 1061

Notable Characteristics

• Marked with countless, overlapping ritual scars from the neck down. The most noticeable are the deep lines from his palms to his elbows, and the Mark of Faith carved on the side of his neck.
  • The pads of his fingertips glow a faint, dark green from his Empathy spark.
Vito Rossau
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Everything You Cling To Will Rot

3RD OF SAUN, ARC 720
Vito, having already resumed his painful movements along the wall in search of an exit, turned his head to glance down at where he assumed the boy’s face must have been in the darkness. In one jerky motion, he pulled his arm from the boy’s grip, and grabbed his hand to pull him along with more ease.

“Captain Morandi,” confirmed Vito. When his other hand, feeling along the wall, felt the stone give way to a sudden emptiness, he nearly stumbled forward into it. Upon catching himself on the wall, he pulled the boy forward with him. “You must have seen him. He led the congregation at my side, he was…”

The priest’s red eyes squinted into the dark. He could barely recall anything beyond that fact – he reasoned that he must have hit his head, or perhaps shed too much blood all at once for the Wounded God. He and Woe had led the congregation down into the ancient Underway beneath the chapel, he could remember as much, but the details that came after were foggy, blurred in his memory. With a shake of his head, Vito continued forth into the unknown, where the stone walls around him opened wider.

Woe and the others had to be close. They could not have gotten far since he last laid eyes on them, not while the Creep still pushed through the city.

It was only then that it occurred to him that he could no longer hear the sound of it far above, crashing through the chapel in its endless pursuit of destruction. It was not in his nature to be optimistic, and he had his doubts that the silence was to their fortune.

“I-it’s been trials since we saw him, Father,” said the boy as he struggled to keep in line with Vito’s awkward pace. “Trials… longer than that…”

Trials? We would not have survived down here for trials, child, do not be–”

“Father, I wouldn’t lie to you!” he insisted, and Vito felt the fear in him rise to the point of almost boiling over. “D-do you not… remember?”

“Hush,” Vito said with a finality he reserved for troublesome parishioners. He tugged on the boy’s hand, disguising his own need to use the child to balance himself with admonishment for the boy’s contrariness.

“Keep your eyes and ears open. We are going to find a way out of here.”

And so it was that the pair traveled through the catacombs, slowed by exhaustion and a seemingly endless darkness. When they had walked far enough that a crack of light appeared in the distance, the child nearly knocked Vito over in his excitement to finally escape from the depths. Together, they pushed open an old, wooden door and felt the warmth of fresh evening air touch their skin for the first time in a while.

The door scraped open into what appeared to be a path just as old and forgotten. The stones underfoot were broken up and beaten down, but appeared to be undisturbed by regular passage. Vito, for all his knowledge of his home city, did not recognize it as one that he had ever travelled on.

“Where are we?” asked the curious boy. Though the light outside was dim, Vito’s eyes swept over him in quick inspection: he was a thin, bony thing, with pale skin stained red and brown and black from head to toe. Vito himself was the worse sight between the two, drenched in silver and red blood alike that had long dried and caked across his appearance.

“Gleam,” answered Vito. The buildings that surrounded were much too tall to have been placed in Shanty, and the air did not stink of Lair, and they had traveled too far to still be within the walls of Fortress.

But he still could not hear the destruction wrought by the Creep, nor could he see the smoke of fires raging against it, nor hear the yells and screams of battle being fought. Gleam was quiet, which concerned him more than the sounds of war would have then.

“Father?”

Vito turned his head to the boy. There was a different note of concern in his small voice that had not been there before, and had he possessed the energy, Vito would have reached into his tangle to find it.

“Father, you don’t look well,” the boy continued, his dark eyes wide above his frown. “Let’s find somewhere to sit, can we?”

“I am fine,” Vito insisted. Every part of him screamed to the contrary, from the pounding in his head to the bottomless hunger in his stomach, but he could not slow down. For if he stopped, he was afraid that he would not get up again for a very long time. There was much to do, and at the top of that list was finding his mentor and what remained of the congregation he had been entrusted with.

“I must find Captain Morandi and the others. If you wish to sit, child, then by all means, find a place for yourself and sit down, but I cannot rest until–”

“Father!”

As he stepped forward, Vito’s legs gave out beneath him, pushed far beyond what they could take and finally drawn to collapse. The dark-haired child rushed forward in an effort to catch him, slowing his descent as he fell heavy and all at once against the ground.

“Uh oh,” strained the boy, worriedly pulling at the priest’s shoulders to try and push him back up. A pained groan escaped from Vito’s throat.

Now that he had fallen, he had no desire at all to stand back up. Not for a while. It sickened him to relive how it had felt all those arcs ago, before he had trained his will not to be broken so easily. Before he had given every part of him, body and soul, to a greater cause.

The cause would simply have to wait until his eyes opened again.
word count: 1018

Notable Characteristics

• Marked with countless, overlapping ritual scars from the neck down. The most noticeable are the deep lines from his palms to his elbows, and the Mark of Faith carved on the side of his neck.
Vito Rossau
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Rewards Requested

Notes/Warnings: This thread is kind of a continuation from this thread, in which Vito (and Woe) led a congregation down into the catacombs during the Creep's assault on Quacia. He was possessed by a ghost (which I'm assuming left his body by this point), and I'm using this thread to explain some of how he made it out from there and why there is a gap between the end of that thread and this one in Saun, so I apologize for any lack of context! There's a little more info on the ghost situation here if needed, and I will be going over more of it in the other placeholder threads I have.

Also, this is my first time using this new review system, so my apologies if I've done anything wrong!

Thread: Everything You Cling To Will Rot
City/Area: Gleam

Renown: N/A
Wealth Points: N/A
Collaboration: No
Local Language Thread? No
 ! Message from: Pig Boy
Done!
word count: 206

Notable Characteristics

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Vito Rossau

Feedback

Ahhh, this was a brilliant vignette following the events of the Quacian War. Very atmospheric and poignant as Vito was reunited with the little child he'd connected with during that whole ordeal.

I must admit to some nostalgia, hearing this scenario played out after the fact. I'm glad Vito has returned to the site, at any rate, you're an amazing writer and your presence was missed.

You did a good job operating within the new system!

I look forward to seeing the rest of these placeholders/memories play out!

Rewards

• XP: 10

Knowledges

• Endurance: x1
  • Empathy: x1
  • Endurance: x2
  • Endurance: x3
  • Empathy: x2
  • Endurance: x4
word count: 111

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Gleam”