• Solo • You can spell "Ranger" with an arrrbitrary number of "Arrrr's!"

1st of Ymiden 723

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

Darbyton is a well established little village, most of the inhabitants are quick to point out that they were the first proper settlement in Scalvoris history. Although primarily focused on logging, enough hunting and trapping goes on to largely fulfil their own food needs and almost every home regularly grows bean sprouts to help make sure nutritional needs are met. Between that and spruce tips and the like, very little is imported, which fits in with the nature of the people who live here.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ranger-in-Chief
Renown: 960
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

You can spell "Ranger" with an arrrbitrary number of "Arrrr's!"

1 Ymiden 723 (yes, still)

continued from here

Oram stepped out into the soot-filled corridor outside his office and immediately noted the bloody footprints that hadn’t been there before. He immediately knew who must have left them. ”Dammit, Refed,” he muttered, feeling more disgust than anger. The eidisi must have left them when he came back to return the keys. After locking up his office, the hunter took a few moments to examine the prints. They were the only ones, he noted.

When he had arrived, he had noticed the blood pool and avoided it. So, apparently, had whichever Rangers had discovered and removed the Secretary’s body, which was no a trivial feat. Oram guessed that was Hop’s handiwork. The killer, too, had apparently avoided stepping in the blood and leaving any footprints, which only strengthened the hunter’s suspicion that the culprit was a veteran at this sort of work. That left poor, hapless, preoccupied Refed with the dubious honor of sole bloody-bootprint-leaver.

The lower floor was empty and quiet at the moment. The Rangers were apparently all outside eating. Oram followed them outside and went to the dining fly. Rangers generally liked eating outdoors when the weather was nice, so the fly and its adjoining field kitchen had already existed prior to the fire, although these were both considerably busier today than they would otherwise be. Among the throng of eaters Oram found Hop, who was sitting with some Rangers he guessed were the ones sent earlier to track and investigate. He also found Refed, and returned the secretary’s keys before rejoining Hop. Rosser Hopkin’s specialty was debriefing patrols, so Oram would want to sit in on that. For now, though, everyone was eating, so Oram grabbed some food as well. He found that he was quite hungry -not surprisingly, considering how busy the morning had been.

When he had finally eaten his fill, Hop and the trackers were already filing out for their debrief. A large pavilion for meetings had been staked out, but not yet erected, so Hop instead led the Rangers to a shaded, quiet spot next to the Headquarters, on the opposite side from the burnt stables. Oram trusted that Hop knew what he was doing, and as the older Ranger was the one who would have briefed the patrols before those had headed out, the Chief Ranger elected to observe rather than insert himself into the process, sitting in a spot where Hop could see him but the other Rangers would be unlikely to notice him.

Hop did his debriefs by the numbers, so there would be some preliminaries that Oram wasn’t necessarily interested in. While he waited these out, he noticed somebody approaching. Looking up, the Chief Ranger recognized Jim, who sidled up to Oram and took a seat. The hunter guessed, although he did not actually know, that Jim knew Common Sign, and so he signed: ”Hop told me you were in town,”

With a smirk, Jim signed back: ”Unable to confirm.”

Smartass the Chief Ranger thought. Instead, he signed: ”What have you been up to? And what have you found so far?” He tried to keep his expression and body language neutral, not wishing the questions to come across as accusations.

Whether he noticed the tone or not, Jim chose to take the questions at face value. ”Trying to find out what happened to Elliott” he responded. After a brief pause he added: ”No luck.” There was yet another pause. ”Body’s been moved. Doctor. Sawbones Shack.”

The two men exchanged a look letting them both realize that neither welcomed the news. Oram pondered their options. After a few moments, and a sigh, he signed unhappily: ”We wait and see. No other responsible options for now.”

Jim nodded his agreement. As unsavory a character as the Doctor was, it seemed unlikely that he would do anything untoward with the body, or lie about it in any way. With nothing else to be done on that issue, Oram turned his attention to the debrief, which was just starting in earnest.
Last edited by Oram Mednix on Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:19 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 688
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: You can spell "Ranger" with an arrrbitrary number of "Arrrr's!"

Be brief, Debrief!

Hop’s approach to debriefing was thorough, yet he also moved things along. It was an impressive thing to watch. First, he went over the patrol’s missions, the routes they took, and so forth. When he got to a particular point, he would switch to asking what the patrols actually did, and what they observed. If he had a checklist, it wasn’t written down, and yet, he rarely missed or overlooked a detail.

The Rangers had set out at first light to track the arsonists. Trackers had set out in pairs from each of the targets known to have been hit last night: the Ranger Headquarters, the Dockmaster’s offices, Elliott’s house, Larksong Willow’s house, Gavrik Spinalt’s house, a former Sweaty Brown office/warehouse. The Rangers tracked egress routes first, as these would be freshest, and thus most likely to yield useful clues. Because they had needed to wait for light, however, they had lost precious breaks on their quarry. These had, the trackers figured out, taken different routes out of town after they had done their respective deeds.

From there, from what the Rangers could tell, the culprits had all turned south. Their trails all ended at the bank of the river. In one case, they found drag marks across a shingle suggesting that someone had recently launched a canoe.

”We got lucky,” Oram signed. ”Either the boat was too heavy for them or they just got lazy and dragged it instead of carrying it to the water.”

Jim nodded, then signed back: ”I often rely on the laziness of strangers.”

That laziness had netted them a clue, even if it was unclear how useful it was: the attackers had crossed the Whisker by separate boats. Presumably, they had a rallying point somewhere on the west bank. It gave them a lead, a place to look for more. The Chief Ranger looked up. The sun was sliding well into the afternoon breaks already, not leaving much time for another patrol, especially not when the search area was so large.

The debrief was coming to a close, and Hop thanked the Rangers for their efforts. As they adjourned, Hop came over to where Oram and Jim sat. ”What do you think?” the older Ranger asked. ”Do we send out a patrol tonight to check out the west bank?”

Oram thought a trill, then shook his head. ”It will take time to prepare a proper mission,” he pointed out, and everybody’s already tired from the morning’s work. Let’s focus on preparing this afternoon, and set out first light tomorrow. I reckon we’ll get better results with a well rested patrol and an entire trial’s worth of sunlight to work with. Even if it does mean losing some time.”

The other two Rangers both agreed with this. Then it was Jim’s turn to speak.

”I spent the morning examining the attack sites themselves, as well as asking some questions about town. Do you want to debrief me fully, or do you want the quick version?”

Oram looked questioningly at Hop, deferring to his judgment.

The old Ranger worked his mouth for a few trills before answering: ”We’re running short of time. Against my inclination, give me the quick version.”

Jim continued: ”They didn’t leave many clues around the sites. They were clearly an efficient, thorough, and well-prepared crew. They didn’t cover all their tracks, though. A couple of the sites, especially the Dockmaster’s office and that Sweaty Brow warehouse, showed signs of being ransacked before they were set afire.”

Oram recalled what he had discovered at the Ranger Headquarters, but resisted the urge to jump in before Jim was finished. So the attackers weren’t just arsonists or assassins, he thought. They were looking for something. Or multiple somethings.

”Anything else?” prompted Hop.

Jim answered: ”The bodies have been removed from the sites. The Doctor has them, I presume to perform autopsies.”

Hop frowned, clearly no happier about this development than the other two had been. He said nothing, though, and asked Jim to continue.

”Inquiries around town bore some fruit, though. Several townsfolk remember seeing lights and hearing activity on the night of 120 Ashan, seemingly centered in the vicinity of the Sawbones Shack.”

Oram scowled. The Doctor’s name was coming up far too often in this matter for his taste.

”Also,” said Jim, ”some townsfolk remembered interesting happenings from a bit farther back, earlier last season. A few remembered visitors to Darbyton asking rather specific questions about the very locations that got hit last night. They were strangers, and they said that they were couriers from the Watchers’ Union in Egilrun, trying to verify an address for a delivery.” The Head of Security paused. ”There’s no indication of any relevant deliveries being subsequently made, though. Might be related, might not.”

The three men mused silently on everything they had learned for a bit. Suddenly, Oram realized he hadn’t shared his piece yet. ”Someone planted smoke bombs in the Ranger Headquarters,” he observed. ”It wasn’t all just fire. They seemed to know the layout pretty well. I think we may have another Pattis on our hands.” The other two listened grimly as Oram relayed what he had discovered.

”Also,” the Chief Ranger continued, ”I think I should pay this Doctor a visit. He’s far too involved in everything for my tastes. And as Chief Ranger, I have a valid pretext, since we have two injured Rangers currently under his care.”

Jim rejoined: ”In that case, I should probably come with you. You play it straight with your visit. Let me do the sneaking and snooping.”

Oram liked that idea. ”Sounds like a good plan,” he agreed. ”But what about the traitor in our midst?” Rooting out such things was squarely in Jim’s domain.

”I’ll get on that first thing tomorrow,” Jim answered. ”We all have plenty on our plate in the meantime.”

The other two Rangers mumbled their agreement, and their meeting broke up. Hop went to plan and arrange the next patrol, while Oram and Jim went to prepare for their visit to the Sawbones Shack.

to be continued…
word count: 1045
Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Rewards Requested

Notes/Warnings: Not requesting full knowledges.

Thread: You can spell "Ranger" with an arrrbitrary number of "Arrrr's!"
City/Area: Darbyton

Renown: N/a
Wealth Points: N/a
Collaboration: No.
Local Language Thread? Yes. Common Sign.
 ! Message from: Pig Boy
Done!
word count: 93
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Oram Mednix

Feedback

Heya, you requested common sign as a local language, but it ain't. Local language for Darbyton is Scalveen, so neener. I gave you Linguistics with common sign flavor instead.

This was a good bridge from the last one to the next stage of the investigation, so it seems. I am a lilttle concerned to hear the Watcher''s Union might be involved. I never trusted those guys. And they failed to deliver a package, even worse! Should've subscribed to Watcher's Union Prime :tm:

Anyway, here's hoping Oram finds more clues to the involvement of these miscreants who went about murdering rangers...

Good writing

Rewards

• XP: 10

Knowledges

• Investigation: Absence of clues can also be informative
  • Leadership: Trust skilled followers to do their thing
  • Intelligence: Proper reconnaissance takes time to prepare
  • Leadership: Be mindful of followers' fatigue
  • Linguistics: Common Sign: Having more complex conversations takes a lot of effort when signing.
  • Linguistics: Common Sign: It's helpful to use sign language when you need to be silent.
word count: 172

Your thread has been reviewed and its rewards issued! See your request here. Manage your rewards here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Darbyton”