[Scalvoris Mountains] Life Forged, Death Forged

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

[Scalvoris Mountains] Life Forged, Death Forged

Arriving
They came from the East.

As they stepped through the portal, each one of them, they saw the place. They were in a cave, deep in the heart of the Scalvoris Mountain and there at the center of this Cathedral-like place was a roughly circular area on which stood an altar. The altar was plain, and on it burned a tall flame. Yet, it was not fire, exactly, that flame, even as the lava which surrounded it was not only hot.
The flame which lifted to the roof of the ceiling in this enormous place was all four - all five - all six elements, together. The heat was incredible as they stepped through, but those who did step found themselves assaulted by immense heat and freezing cold all at once, even in those extremes and the impossible feeling of such, there was the coolness of a spring breeze and the heat of a humid jungle.

The central area was roughly circular. There was the altar and there around the altar, one on each corner, stood the four Induks. They were beyond impressive, beyond impossible. The power in this place was raw and primeval and unlike anything of Immortal or Domain. This was the spirit of Scalvoris and they were in its heart.

In the same way that the Induks themselves were immense and yet contained, so too was the flame. It was flickering tendrils of fire and ice and air and earth, it was spirit and it was life and it was death. The four beings stood around it and, high above them, six birds circled - impossible birds but Darius and Arlo I don't believe anyone else has hunted them, but if they have, you'd recognise them too! might recognise them as distant relatives of the etchwing. Icewing, firewing, soulwing, songwing, spiritwing, lifewing and deathwing flew above them.

Around the edges of the vast room, too, they saw movement.
There were Wolves, as seen many arcs before, and lions and tigers - smaller animals too - each one touched by one of the six elements here. The four, the two, the point of balance. It was exactly as Arlo remembered it and Elisabeth had seen it, but it was also very different. Before, it had been filled with vines and thorns which attacked and strangled and now? Now it was full of life of an entirely different kind.

This was the life of Scalvoris.

In front of them as they walked in were two of the Induks. Here, in the East, they were Life Forged, and so in front of them was the Induk Scaltoth and the Induk Sweetwine. They could see the other two Induks clearly and, as they arrived they realised that they were not all here.

In fact - only half of them were.

Then, they saw the other half of the group - coming from the other side of the vast space. Led by Elisabeth, they were the Death Forged and to this group they seemed slightly "out of synch" with reality. Like they were almost in a dream state. That they were there was undoubted, but the two places - the two halves of this place were not yet balanced.

Not yet.

And then, the Induks began to speak. All four of them spoke, in turn.
"When I was freed, I believed I was here, but now, we stand in the true Heart of Scalvoris. This is the ScalvFlame,"
Faldrass said.
"You have balanced the Four. The Four Induks are free. You have our gratitutude. But now, we must balance the two,"
it continued. For those who had spoken to Chuckles in the Glass Temple, or previously, they might recognise that way of speaking - like it expected all of those listening to know, to understand.

"In order to balance that, to balance the two, there must be Four Induks, and Forged of each one present. Then, there must be Life-Forged and Death Forged."
Ishallr explained.
"And so, we would offer you, our saviours, to become the Forged."
It stopped talking and waited, just for a moment. Then - for reasons which perhaps the Induks understood, Scaltoth took over.

"To each of you, we offer our thanks,"
it said. Then, it explained.
"Each mortal may be Forged by only one of us. That is the Four. The Two, Life and Death, they are those who have risen in power in their Forging, and have become the pinnacle of the Forging. It is the final ploy of those who have restrained us. There are no living Forged who are LifeForged or DeathForged. So, we have made another choice."

The Induk Sweetwine pointed to Arlo,
"You are Life Forged."
it said. Scaltoth continued.

"If we were to give you the power that entails, either of you, it would consume you. So, we have named you such and will impart a single leaf, rather than a tree, to you both. When the time comes, if it does, you will be Life Forged, Arlo Creede"

Scaltoth paused then, and then spoke again.
"The Life Forged and Death Forged are only ever created by invitation and mutual agreement from the four of us,"
it said.
"and only in response to great deeds. Should any of you here present become one of the Forged, and rise through the ranks of your chosen Forging, we are agreed that you will be given Life or Death forging of your choice."
To Arlo, then, it spoke.
"Since there will be no choice for you, in that time, there is a choice for you now. You may be Forged by any one of us, of your choosing."
it said.

Then, Scaltoth fell silent.
"Arlo Creede,"
Ishallr spoke.
"we would offer you LifeForged when the time comes and, in this moment, your choice of any Forging from the four"
It's voice was cold. Oh so cold.

It waited for the two to answer. The thing was, they couldn't see or hear what was happening to the Death Forged. It was all too blurry.

"Doran,"
Faldrass said,
" your work has been with these three groups and you may choose to be Forged by Ice or Song or Soul. If you wish, you may pick one."

Sweetwine spoke then.
"I offer my Forging to all of you who have released me."
it said.
"Zoro and Bao, you are invited to become Song Forged."

After that was dealt with, Scaltoth spoke again.
"I make the same offer to Hart who freed me, and to Nir'wei who is Fire Forged, the offer to become Soul Forged, should you wish it."

Finally, Ishallr spoke.
"Darius, I would mark you as Ice Forged, should you wish to change your allegiance."
Ledas stood next to Darius and there seemed to be some communication between him and Faldrass - they shared a glance, certainly. Faldrass inclined his head. Arlo, of course, got to choose any one of the four, should he wish it.

And then, finally, Ishallr explained.
"You must make your choice individually. When you have chosen, step on to the area for your chosen Forge"
, there were four obvious areas on this side of the altar - with the chainstone symbols. To Arlo, though, Scaltoth spoke.
"You, Life Forged. Take my hand"
The Induk held out a hand to Arlo

Info & Rules

Ok so.

1. Are you going to accept the Forging? It follows the same structure of Fire-Forged, but each one has a different set of abilities. What are they? Not telling :D
2. If you swap allegiance from Fire to another - you may keep your diri, but it will change with you. You start again at 0 points.
3. Arlo - you have a choice of any one Forging from all four.
4. Oram, Nir - Faldrass doesn't want you to stop being Fire Forged but will, grudgingly, allow it.
5. Darius - Although Faldrass doesn't want to lose you, either, he seems more understanding that with Ledas as a companion, you may choose to.
6. You need at least one of each of the four (not including Arlo).
7. Because this group had limited options for Ice - if no one chooses it, I'll have the NPC Eckman standing there. :D Please choose as you would.

Forging

The Four branches of the Forged are here: here they be!
Please feel free to assume that you know what the rough idea is / powers are / etc for the Forgings you have been offered. You just... know. That way, your PC can choose what's actually best for them.
Next Post: Sunday 11th July
word count: 1428
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

[Scalvoris Mountains] Death Forged

Arriving
They came from the West.

As they stepped through the portal, each one of them, they saw the place. They were in a cave, deep in the heart of the Scalvoris Mountain and there at the center of this Cathedral-like place was a roughly circular area on which stood an altar. The altar was plain, and on it burned a tall flame. Yet, it was not fire, exactly, that flame, even as the lava which surrounded it was not only hot.
The flame which lifted to the roof of the ceiling in this enormous place was all four - all five - all six elements, together. The heat was incredible as they stepped through, but those who did step found themselves assaulted by immense heat and freezing cold all at once, even in those extremes and the impossible feeling of such, there was the coolness of a spring breeze and the heat of a humid jungle.

The central area was roughly circular. There was the altar and there around the altar, one on each corner, stood the four Induks. They were beyond impressive, beyond impossible. The power in this place was raw and primeval and unlike anything of Immortal or Domain. This was the spirit of Scalvoris and they were in its heart.

In the same way that the Induks themselves were immense and yet contained, so too was the flame. It was flickering tendrils of fire and ice and air and earth, it was spirit and it was life and it was death. The four beings stood around it and, high above them, six birds circled - impossible birds but Darius and Arlo I don't believe anyone else has hunted them, but if they have, you'd recognise them too! might recognise them as distant relatives of the etchwing. Icewing, firewing, soulwing, songwing, spiritwing, lifewing and deathwing flew above them.

Around the edges of the vast room, too, they saw movement.
There were Wolves, as seen many arcs before, and lions and tigers - smaller animals too - each one touched by one of the six elements here. The four, the two, the point of balance. It was exactly as Arlo remembered it and Elisabeth had seen it, but it was also very different. Before, it had been filled with vines and thorns which attacked and strangled and now? Now it was full of life of an entirely different kind.

This was the life of Scalvoris.

In front of them as they walked in were two of the Induks. Here, in the West, they were Death Forged, and so in front of them was the Induk Faldrass and the Induk Ishallr. They could see the other two Induks clearly and, as they arrived they realised that they were not all here.

In fact - only half of them were.

Then, they saw the other half of the group - coming from the other side of the vast space. Led by Arlo, they were the Life Forged and to this group the others seemed slightly "out of synch" with reality. Like they were almost in a dream state. That they were there was undoubted, but the two places - the two halves of this place were not yet balanced.

Not yet.

And then, the Induks began to speak. All four of them spoke, in turn.
"When I was freed, I believed I was here, but now, we stand in the true Heart of Scalvoris. This is the ScalvFlame,"
Faldrass said.
"You have balanced the Four. The Four Induks are free. You have our gratitude. But now, we must balance the two,"
it continued. For those who had spoken to Chuckles in the Glass Temple, or previously, they might recognise that way of speaking - like it expected all of those listening to know, to understand.

"In order to balance that, to balance the two, there must be Four Induks, and Forged of each one present. Then, there must be Life-Forged and Death Forged."
Ishallr explained.
"And so, we would offer you, our saviours, to become the Forged."
It stopped talking and waited, just for a moment. Then - for reasons which perhaps the Induks understood, Scaltoth took over.

"To each of you, we offer our thanks,"
it said. Then, it explained.
"Each mortal may be Forged by only one of us. That is the Four. The Two, Life and Death, they are those who have risen in power in their Forging, and have become the pinnacle of the Forging. It is the final ploy of those who have restrained us. There are no living Forged who are LifeForged or DeathForged. So, we have made another choice."

Raising a finger to point at Elisabeth, it spoke.
"You are Death Forged. There is another such. If we were to give you the power that entails, it would consume you. So, we have named you such and will impart a single leaf, rather than a tree, to you both. When the time comes, if it does, you will be Death Forged, Elisabeth Angelus"

Scaltoth paused then, and then spoke again.
"The Life Forged and Death Forged are only ever created by invitation and mutual agreement from the four of us,"
it said.
"and only in response to great deeds. Should any of you here present become one of the Forged, and rise through the ranks of your chosen Forging, we are agreed that you will be given Life or Death forging of your choice."
To Elisabeth though,
"Since there will be no choice for you, in that time, there is a choice for you now. You may be Forged by any one of us, of your choosing."
it said.

Then, Scaltoth fell silent.
"Elisabeth Angelus,"
Ishallr spoke.
"we would offer you DeathForged when the time comes and, in this moment, your choice of any Forging from the four"
It's voice was cold. Oh so cold.

It waited for the two to answer. The thing was, they couldn't see or hear what was happening to the Life Forged. It was all too blurry.

"Kura, you are Fire Forged,"
Faldrass said.
"Do you wish to change allegiance to another?"
It didn't sound thrilled at the idea, but it was rather hard to tell.

Sweetwine spoke then.
"I offer my Forging to all of you who have released me."
it said.
"Oram, as an existing FireForged you may switch allegiance if it pleases you, or may remain as Faldrass-Forged. Xander, you are invited to become Song Forged."

After that was dealt with, Scaltoth spoke again.
"I make the same offer to those who freed me, Woe and Ralgar, the offer to become Soul Forged, should you wish it."

Finally, Ishallr spoke.
"Praetorum, you are Ice Forged. Please, step on to the dais on my side of the altar."
Elisabeth, of course, got to choose any one of the four, should she wish it.

And then, finally, Ishallr explained.
"You must make your choice individually. When you have chosen, step on to the area for your chosen Forge"
, there were four obvious areas on this side of the altar - with the chainstone symbols. To Elisabeth, though, Ishallr spoke.
"You, Death Forged. Take my hand" The Induk held out a hand to Elisabeth.

Info & Rules

Ok so.

1. Are you going to accept the Forging? It follows the same structure of Fire-Forged, but each one has a different set of abilities. What are they? Not telling :D
2. If you swap allegiance from Fire to another - you may keep your diri, but it will change with you. You start again at 0 points.
3. Elisabeth - you have a choice of any one Forging from all four.
4. Kura - Faldrass doesn't want you to stop being Fire Forged but will, grudgingly, allow it.
5. Prae - you're ice.
6. You need at least one of each of the four (not including Elisabeth).

Forging

The Four branches of the Forged are here: here they be!
Please feel free to assume that you know what the rough idea is / powers are / etc for the Forgings you have been offered. You just... know. That way, your PC can choose what's actually best for them.
Next Post: Sunday 11th July
word count: 1367
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Councillor of Natural Affairs
Renown: 922
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Scalvoris Mountains] Life Forged

They collected the last Chainstones. They returned to the chamber. The Chainstones broke. The Induk 'Scaltoth' was free... and just like that, they were in a room. He'd always misunderstood the ScalvFlame, as they'd put it, as something more conceptual than physical, yet there it stood, blazing with a half-dozen different colours and somehow incredibly hot, freezing cold, and many other things at the same time. Upon arriving, he became so transfixed by it that he failed to notice the four Induk entirely until they began to speak, but even then, dragging his attention away only allowed him to pick a new fixation. Wolves, of different elements. He vaguely recalled a notice about one that had cropped up on noticeboards but despite the obvious curiosity, he'd never found the time to handle it. Now, of course, he had to ask again if there was any significance to wolves... or if it could just be happenstance.

Right. Yes. The fate of Scalvoris. Come on, pull it together.

They'd successfully freed all four Induks... somehow. But it was clear that something still wasn't quite right between them all - the way that Scaltoth and what he could only assume was Sweetwine seemed normal enough, but Faldrass and the pale shade of Ishallr looked as if he could stick a hand through them and find nothing but mist. A seam running straight down the middle of the chamber... or as they'd put it, two halves that needed to be reunited. They would all become Forged, one way or another. Arlo would become something more, when the time came it wouldn't turn him into a fine paste or something. But he was given a choice, too. Soul, or Fire. "What's the difference again," he whispered quietly to Gaddwin, who quietly explained. "Oh. Uhm." It felt very odd, he had to say. He'd always questioned how one could hold allegiances to multiple Induk, in that case being Lovalus and Faldrass, but he'd always penned that down to Lovalus' veil of mystery and refusal to speak in plain terms. To find a new set of tenets shared between four in the same nation left his loyalties in a muddle. "I'm afraid I can't really abandon Faldrass," he decided, looking up to Scaltoth. "Everything I did, everything I fought for... I can't discard that easily. Plus, Faldrass is my home now. I feel... connected to it, more than ever." Karem above, he knew that this was supposed to be some sort of reward or thanks for his help, but it still felt horrible turning it down, like he'd rejected an obligation. "If there's anything I can do to help in the future, around Scaltoth, I'd be happy to accept your call."

With that, he stepped towards Faldrass and took up his stand. All of him, seven wolves materialised and gathered at his feet. "Cyshe. By the way. If you're hiding like four other Induk in Rharne that I'm going to have to pick between one day, now's the time to tell me about them."
word count: 526
We return to where we started, and pass onwards into history.
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

The Albarech, Doran decided as he listened to Kura speak, did have a certain point. He agreed with her as far as hating sparks simply for existing was concerned. He also agreed that most powers could be abused and had the potential of consuming you if you weren’t careful (He had to admit that he was momentarily surprised when she revealed her fracture scar.). In the end, he continued to share Jacien’s and Chuckles’ views to a great extent though, even though he was aware that both of them might be somewhat biased when it came to magic.

There was nothing about the spark or what it did to one’s soul that he considered to be worthwhile.

He did not involve himself in the discussion on magic any more than he had already done though, but kept his views to himself for the most part. He only inclined his head slightly when Elisabeth told him that she was aware of what Flaying was – and he thanked her for the information that she had provided. What she said about the vines and her visions might turn out to be especially useful. Arlo reserved similar words of thanks.

Before long, he focused on the White Eagle again though. For a moment, he couldn’t help but wonder if things were just about to begin. They were very close to restoring balance on Scalvoris, but it seemed as if the Warden and his daughter as well as entourage were still out there. If they were free, there was no guessing as to what would happen.

He only allowed himself to relax slightly when the woman voiced her suspicion that they had left the island. If that was the case, Scalvoris might be safe, at least for the time being. With that thought in mind, he focused on the two groups that were still out there again, wondering what could possibly be done in order to help Scaltoth free their Induk, and then …

… and then, the world suddenly shook for a moment, and the son of Ziell stopped dead in his tracks because the new turn of events was quite unexpected. Scaltoth had constituted the cause of considerable concern, but somehow, they had done it. He had always been hopeful, of course, but he had never thought that it would happen so quickly.

The remaining two Induks were finally free. All they had to do now was to enter the Heart of Scalvoris. He smiled lightly at the people gathered around him, the people who had helped save the island, and most likely the world on top of it before he stepped through the portal, his blue eyes widened momentarily as he took in his new surroundings.

He had seen a lot and done a lot over the course of the nearly four centuries that he had been alive, but that single trial had challenged him and surprised him in several new and different ways. He looked at the flame on the altar that did not only seem to be made of fire, but of all of the elements together, observed it, marveled at it, before he pulled his cloak tighter around his body only in order to push it away again a moment later.

It was incredibly hot and cold at the same time, but the presence of the Induks kept him from focusing on the impossibility of the weather (If ‘weather’ was the correct term for what was happening in the cave.) for a longer amount of time. They were beyond impressive, and they were unlike anything he had ever seen before, including the Immortals.

He bowed, in a gesture of deepest respect, before his gaze was momentarily drawn towards the animals. This place, he realized, was full of life, but … incomplete, or maybe unbalanced. Only half of them were truly here. Elisabeth and her group seemed to exist in some sort of dream state. He observed them for a moment before he turned to listen to the Induks speak, standing completely straight, his attention focused entirely on them.

He had thought that only those that had gone to Ishallr, Sweetwine or Scaltoth would be able to become Forged, and thus he could not help but be surprised when Faldrass extended the same offer to him, the offer to become a part of something that was bigger than each one of them.

He did not hesitate, or even think about it for more than a couple of trills – even though he normally tended to consider each option carefully. His decision had already been made the moment that the Induk finished speaking, in fact. There was not a single doubt in his mind.

He had found companionship and even friendship on Scalvoris, and in Hopetoun, but a part of him still needed and would always need to be surrounded by ice and snow, by his father’s Domain of Winter, and yearn for the frozen lands of the north. To him, ice meant peace. Neither earth, nor air or fire had ever held that kind of appeal for him. Even when he had still been Sesser and thought that the world was doomed and there was no hope, his fury had been cold rather than hot like fire.

“I choose to become Forged by Ice, Lord Faldrass”, he spoke and inclined his head politely and respectfully. Having said that, he stepped on to the area for his chosen Forge.
word count: 909

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Oram Mednix
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Ranger-in-Chief
Renown: 960
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Scalvoris Mountains] Death Forged

Getting all our induks in a row

Oram had never seen so many fairies.
Oram had never felt such joy and relief.
Oram had never danced well.

That last one didn’t actually change this trial, yet the hunter didn’t care, nor, apparently, did the myriad creatures that now filled the air in the heart of the Emerald Tree with their light, their motion, their music, their joy. It seemed the Scaltoth team was ready at last, and so it was time to place the chainstones upon the waiting mushroom caps.

Things happened, things Oram would struggle ever after to recall or describe clearly, things that culminated in the appearance of a vast, humanoid form in their midst. Sweetwine wasn’t the first induk the hunter had seen; there was no mistaking what it was, even before it spoke. And it sang, too. Not in the high, tinkling tones of the fairies, but in deep, powerful sounds that seemed to stalk slowly but surely through the air.

As the induk intoned his music and absorbed Mildred’s body into its own, Oram looked around at the others, stunned and breathless. All he could say was: ”We’ve done it! We’ve all done it!”

But there was more to do. Doran and the others at the Glass Temple had spoken of the need to go to the Scalvflame at the Heart of Scalvoris. Sweetwine apparently agreed, and opened a portal to take Oram and the others there.

The place they went to was even more breathtaking, in its way, than the Emerald Tree. It was stone rather than living wood; the interior the hunter found himself in was enormous, soaring, vaulting, yet for all that he could feel the mass of rock surrounding him. The Heart was in the mountains, he recalled the others saying. And now he was in the Heart.

The Scalvflame towered before him; it was not hard to guess that that was what the thing was. An enormous inferno that was more than just a regular fire. It gave off intense heat, yet also intense cold, as well as other sensations. It seemed to incorporate many different elements, to burn different colors. It made Oram’s head hurt.

The induks were there, the four of them. The traveler could guess what the other two were: Ishallr and Scaltoth. It wasn’t until they began to address the group that Oram realized that he was not with all of his earlier group. Xander was with him, but not Bao or Zoro. Instead, others from the other groups were with them: the Alberach, Woe Morandi, the hulking ithecal, the strange man from the jungle who may or may not have spoken common, and the woman, Elisabeth? Who was apparently “named Death-forged?”

The others were there, Bao, Zoro, also Darius. But they were in another group, at the far end of this impossibly huge cavern. Oram could only apprehend dimly what they were doing: talking to induks as well, apparently. Probably the same induks. The hunter looked forward to once more only being in one place at a time, and to dealing with things and people that were, as well. The one place in particular that he had in mind to be in was bed; it had been an incredible trial, but he had had enough of it.

The induks told them that they had a choice to make, whether to be “Forged”, or, in his case, re-forged. Oram had no interest in such things. Yes, the Sweetwine was more or less his home away from home, his favored hunting and stomping grounds. He definitely had a connection to the place. However, he already had powers and spirits and diris enough. He did not want to have to get used to a new form or personality for Amoach, nor to learn new powers. He looked at Sweetwine. ”You honor me with your offer,” he told the induk, ”but I do not wish to transform. Thank you.” He then went over to the Faldrass side of the altar.
Last edited by Oram Mednix on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 681
Villains are powerless against story beats.
Woe
Approved Character
Profession: A Very Kinda Not Good Boy
Renown: 1500
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A lot was accomplished already, and yet for a few moments he found himself floundering in ignorance, not knowing what the others were doing, what was going on below. Woe sat staring at the wall as he waited for communication to filter back in through Nir'wei's spirit companion who he'd left behind. Maybe Nir'wei never said anything back to him, maybe too much was going on below for anything to come through, or maybe Woe was just lost in reverie, staring at the wall.

So stare at the wall he did, , until the time when Scaltoth as well as the rest of the group appeared beside him. The dream-like veil of the ruins seemed to melt away in a sense, shedding its chrysallis, and fell away and they were all before the Induk. The great spirit explained more of the situation, and what would happen now. Woe couldn't help wondering what happened to the Warden in all of this, but he supposed there'd be time to take stock later. For now, it appeared, they had succeeded, which was cause for relief if nothing else.

Then, they were brought elsewhere, to the Scalvflame itself.

Woe listened to more of what it said, what all four of them said. There were others with them, Oram was there, and a few other people he recognized. He waited for the moment when the Induk would offer her power again to Woe, and then he shook his head, "No, I'm afraid I cannot accept your offer Scaltoth, but perhaps later." Was all he said. He still wasn't entirely sure what it meant to align himself with a spirit, but did hope for no further conflicts of interests, particularly with regard to his patron Chamadarst.

So he stood where he was while Breen the diri of Sorrow materialized beside him, sitting on his haunches. There, they watched the forging as it would get underway. He had every confidence, of course, that Ralgar would choose Scaltoth, being devoted to the spirits of the land, as well as his tribe. Surely he would accept such an honor.

Elisabeth was there too, as it seemed apropos, given what'd happened earlier just that day. She looked changed somehow, different. Not in a bad or a good way. It seemed she'd made strides herself through all of this ordeal. As had they all, they'd all, he supposed, been given cause to reconsider their place in the world.

Woe, for his part, decided that he was too quick to jump at power without question. That was the reason for his refusal.

Template by Natalia Gregorios
word count: 445
Image*Image*Image

Disguises

Often Woe will travel in disguise.
Erebus Identity
[

Mutations/Scars/Markings

Merged Shadow
Poison Blood
Strong Shadow
Horned Shadow
Winged Shadow
Shadowscar
Ignorance Domain
/tabmenu]
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Arc 721, 30th of Ashan
Ledas made no noise when Elisabeth thanked him, but there appeared to be a sense of understanding in his eyes.

Darius was still swallowing tears at that point, and when Elisabeth stood and hugged him, the Scalvorian held her tightly. There was a beating in his chest; a sense of relief that threatened to overwhelm him, if it wasn't for the critical task at hand.

"No apologies," he shook his head, his gravelly voice rumbling through his chest as they held their embrace. "What matters is that you're 'okay', whatever that means."

He chuckled lightly at the word as as he eased himself out of the embrace, for it was essentially meaningless given the situation. Even so, it felt good to find an excuse for a dose of levity, however brief it might be.

Darius nodded at Elisabeth's insistence that he eat, but it wasn't until Kura's insistence that he rest that he gave himself permission to relax. He settled himself down next to Elisabeth and shared his plate of food with her as Praetorum joined them and sat on the other side of the Videnese.

And then, just as he was beginning to feel the weariness gently wash away, there was a flurry of activity across the room. Reports were coming in that both the Sweetwine and Scaltoth groups had completed the tasks they had set out to do, and Chuckles was urging everyone through a portal that Darius had not noticed until that moment.

With a quick glance towards Elisabeth, Darius rose to his feet.

"Things might be about to get a bit hectic," he spoke quietly to the Videnese. "Whatever happens, trust your judgment. I certainly do."

There had been mishaps on Ishallr, but Darius didn't want that to make Elisabeth doubt herself. He was sure she would make the right decisions on their upcoming expedition.

And with that, he took a piece of hardtack and turned towards the portal, eating his food as he went.

If Darius' body had wanted to feel weary in the Glass Temple, it wasn't offered such a luxury on the other side of the portal. There was a bristling raw power that surged throughout the space that the Scalvorian entered, and he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

Darius Baer had had the rather unusual good fortune to have been in the presence of an Induk, not just once, but twice - but even those experiences paled in comparison to the awe he felt as he took in everything around him.

Four Induks watched over him and those who stood alongside him. It took several trills before Darius could pull his eyes away from the beings and note who was with him.

Some faces were more familiar than others, but he saw Arlo, Doran, Hart, Nir'wei, Zoro, and Bao Bao in the same chamber. There was no opportunity for any reunions; there was work to be done. It was a few more trills before he realised that Ledas had followed him through the portal. Darius and Elisabeth had, it seemed, been separated once more, but as the Induks began to speak, the situation became more clear.

Each of the Induks required at least one person willing to champion their cause, but such things could only be done by invitation. Darius was already FireForged, and he watched as Faldrass invited Doran to become the same, if he so wished. Scaltoth, and Sweetwine, neither of whom Darius had seen before, spoke next, and the Scalvorian noted that with their invitations to Zoro, Bao Bao, Hart, and Nir'wei, all of the four Induks could be represented.

And then Ishallr spoke. His voice was just as booming as in the large cavern as it had been in the comparatively confined space of the Ishallr Caves. Darius hadn't expected to be addressed, and he looked into the Induk's ice-cold eyes until he saw another incline his head.

Faldrass.

As best as Darius could tell, Faldrass seemed to be willing to let Darius change his allegiance, but even as he searched within himself, the mariner could find no reason to take such an action. As difficult as he knew it would be to decline Ishallr's offer, he knew in his heart that there was no alternative.

"I am honoured by your invitation, Ishallr," he spoke sincerely, "and were I not already FireForged, I'm sure I would accept."

Darius sent a glance towards Ledas, and the tiger returned a stoic gaze, revealing nothing of what he made of the Scalvorian's decision. As Darius turned to look back at Ishallr, he hoped the tiger's silence simply meant that he was not trying to influence the bearded blond one way or the other.

"But I swore an oath" — it was true, even if it had been a monosyllabic one"to Faldrass, and I have put great effort into aiding the island and its people. I have rescued some and buried others. It was Faldrass who tasked me with establishing a settlement on Faldrass, and I have seen the Hopetounians flourish in their new home."

At the time, Faldrass and Saoire had not wanted the refugees to know who was behind the founding of the new settlement, lest they become dependent on such powerful beings, but Hopetoun was now established, and its inhabitants were standing on their own two feet.

"I will be forever grateful to you for Ledas' guidance, and I know he will make a fine guardian, for as long as he wishes to stay by my side."

It was a decision made entirely independently of anyone else's choices. He hadn't been invited by Scaltoth or Sweetwine, and Ishallr would, he hoped, find someone to take up his cause. But without having even taken his gaze away from the Induks to see what the others in the group had decided, Darius took a deep breath, and then approached the area by the altar that was closest to Faldrass.
word count: 1017
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 721, 30 Ashan

Kura added her thoughts to the mix of things, giving Elisabeth much more information to consider when the time was right. She respected the unique perspectives of the people that had spoken but wished to make sure to give the things said the proper time and space for which she could work through them.

The Albarech also answered her question regarding Ru, easing the young woman’s mind.

As Darius embraced her, the tears threatened to erupt but she held them back, barely. She was ever-grateful for him in that moment, always knowing the right thing to say. Quietly, as their embrace broke, she gave him a smile. She wanted to say more words but the right ones wouldn’t come

It didn’t take long before Praetorum came to her. She already knew that would be on his mind and trying to figure out just how to tell him what had transpired proved to be difficult, and knowing Darius was nearby really didn’t help. She didn’t want to tell them how close things had come for her. Elisabeth would, when the time was right – if they didn’t deduce it on their own in the meantime.

Eyes lifting to meet his, she gave him a smile, reaching out to touch his arm. “I’m alright now. I know that the ghost is gone. I don’t know about the emeyans. I don’t hear anything in my mind, but no one ever said anything about them. Jacien,” pointing out the man that had just returned from his scouting mission, “He took care of me, healed me, and saved my life."

Taking a deep breath, she squeezed Prae’s arm gently. “You did what you felt you had to. I know that. You were trying to protect me. I’m sorry I put you in that position, needing to make that choice. I’ll do better.”

Turing to Arlo, she had another apology to make. “I’m sorry that I endangered the group. Thank you for helping me. I’ll learn from it.”

As Prae sat down near her, she offered him some bites from the plate of food she and Darius were sharing. He had gotten more than enough and her opinion about eating when they could still stood.

It was only moments more before the reports came in. Sweetwine and Scaltoth had been successful. Letting out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding in. Scalvoris would be alright. Gazing down at the silver band on her finger, Elisabeth let her thoughts briefly go to Balthazar and Haven.

Chuckles voice broke through, urging them through a portal that had just popped up. Apparently, it was time for them to go, and Darius’ words found her. Taking a deep breath, she nodded to him.

As they came through the portal, things shifted. Prae was still with her, but Darius was not. Kura, she was there…Doran not. And while Elisabeth recognized immediately where they were, it looked…different.

There were animals, and elements, hot and cold – an assault on the senses. Everywhere she looked, there was something different. The difference between the visions and what she saw around her was vast, amazing, and beautiful.

Standing near Kura and Prae, the young mage looked around, seeing one man she remembered from the Temple, one man she didn't. Xander Andaris from Rharne – whom she did recognize – and one other person.

Woe.

It was difficult to believe that it had started with the two of them. Not the whole situation, of course. But that trial, the two of them in the Glass Temple. Everything had started from that point. Bao had joined them, Chamadarst, Ziell. Then the mad dash to the Element Hall. Kura, Moeske, Chrien. Then the true beginning – the summoning of those that would work together to protect Scalvoris. It felt like a lifetime since she had walked into the Glass Temple, and events had begun to spin…

She had things to say, but again, it wasn’t the time. Inclining her head towards him, she offered a small smile, grateful he was unharmed.

Induks. Faldrass and Ishallr stood before them. It was then that Elisabeth noticed where the other half of the group was, beyond a haze with what appeared to be two other Induks.

The raven-hair mage listened carefully for what they were saying was important. There was still work to be done. Life-Forged. Death-Forged. She was Death-Forged – Chuckles had said so. She had no idea how that had become the case, but she was.

Scaltoth pointed at her, saying her name, and explaining what was to happen. She was Death-Forged, but they were offering her a choice of Forging now. Turning to Ishallr, who repeated the offer, it seemed she had a choice to make.

Stepping forward from the group, she addressed the four Induks as one. “I would be honored to heed the call from any of you. Should I be needed, I will be there.”

Turning to Faldrass, the young woman smiled. “Faldrass is my home and I will always help you and your Forged in any way I can."

Finally, to Ishallr, Elisabeth inclined her head. “I choose to be Ice-Forged, if you will have me.”

Her thought process had been quick, coming down to only two choices. Faldrass was her home, and Elisabeth would protect it with everything she was. She had fire within her, and it would have been easy to choose to be Fire-Forged.

Balance.

There needed to be balance with that fire, and a need to remember her past, allowing it to meld with the woman she was becoming. She had gone to free the Induk of Ishallr and fallen short. She couldn’t change her past actions, but she could focus on the future and help Ishallr.

Ishallr held out a hand to her and without hesitation, Elisabeth took it, following wherever the Induk would lead her.

word count: 1005
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Back in the Temple, before they'd stepped through the portal, Kura had asked him a question regarding the ScalvFlame, and Arlo had felt compelled to provide whatever details he could in that regard. "Vega was Death Forged then," he remembered of when he'd last been there. It was arcs ago now. "Not being forged myself, I couldn't get down there. I can't imagine that anyone not forged, would have easily been able to." Without help, at least. "But there were ghosts there, and one called Biffino helped me. Still, the heat was incredible."

There'd also been a number of other entities similar to Chuckles, he added, addressing not just Kura but all of them who'd been present in the temple. "A river flowing with lava, with six inch or so platforms to stand on. Circular, with the scalv flame in each. Sort of...six paths to or from a larger circle. Like the spokes of a wheel. If I had any advice to offer?" Arlo concluded then. "Based on my experience, protect your feet. Better if Chuckles would accompany us." With a glance towards Chuckles in particular, he added, "You might make it so we can get to the ScalvFlame?"

Then they passed through the portal, and everything changed. Of course, where they ended up was a place which Arlo found to be strikingly familiar, and yet...no longer the same. But of course it would have changed. The cavernous space was as vast and as vaulted as any cathedral Arlo had ever seen before; not that he'd been in many cathedrals; but even then the towering flame and the presence of the six elements made it almost seem small. He involuntary shivered, from the cold and the heat both at once, and to say that he was awestruck by it all would have been a very large understatement.

The arrangement was similar to the things that he'd described to the others, just a few bits ago now. And yet, not. Then there were the animals, and the wolves in particular struck a chord, and Arlo reached up to place his hand briefly on the wolf's tooth that he wore. But then he noticed, strangely, that half of those who'd been sent off to one part of Scalvoris or another, were apart from the group he'd arrived with. Sort of, but beyond some sort of invisible boundary. He didn't stop to wonder how this was possible. He'd seen plenty of impossibilities before.

He'd only just taken it all in when the Induks began to speak. First Faldrass, then Ishallr. Scaltoth, and when that Induk pointed directly at him, Arlo dipped his head in a gesture of deep respect. He was still caught in the process of attempting to understand the full meaning of being Life Forged. And now, in addition, it appeared he was being offered an opportunity to choose again. From his perspective, all of them present had made sacrifices beyond what was asked of them. But it was not for him to ask these questions, and he was deeply honored and humbled by the gesture.

"I am deeply grateful and humbly accept," he said in regards to having been made Life Forged."[/b] As for what he might choose in addition to that, he only paused a trill or two before speaking again. Any of the four would have been an honor and gift, but instinctively Arlo knew what suited him best, and where he'd be best used in that regard. Even while a child in his mother and stepfather's home, he'd been more at ease in the outdoors. Before meeting Vega, he'd happily wandered the wooded paths and open plains, sleeping beneath the stars and at one with the wilds. And since they'd met and married, not much about that had changed.

The choice then was easy for me. "I thank you all, for your offers," he said to all the Induks, then addressed Scaltoth in particular. "If you will have me, I choose to be Soul Forged." And then, it was Scaltoth that held out it's hand, expecting that Arlo would step forward. And so he stepped forward, reaching out his own hand to the Induk.
word count: 720
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Elisabeth squeezed his arm, and he draped his tail over her shoulders. “We both will,“ he promised. Mistakes had been made that they could not afford to make again, by all of them—except perhaps Arlo. The lack of information about the Emeyans concerned him, but there was nothing to be done about it right now. He’d bring it up again once this was all over and done with.

Settled by Elisabeth’s side, eating the food she offered, Prae listened quietly to the conversation between Chuckles and Kura. What caught his attention was the assertion that the Immortals were not natural either, that the Induks had existed long before the Immortals had been… Created?

Prae didn’t have much time to consider this new information—before he could dwell too long on the implications, news came in that both Sweetwine and Scaltoth had finished their tasks, bringing with it a wave of relief. Chuckles opened a portal, and Prae stood. Time to see what the Scalvflame held for them.

Walking through, Prae found that the lot of them had been reshuffled—Darius was no longer with them, nor Arlo, whereas a few people he had seen join the other groups had shown up, presumably through their own portals. Prae nodded to Woe in greeting, the only one of the lot that he recognized.

Then, the Induks began to speak.

They had come here to balance the Two, and now the Induks explained what it meant to be Life Forged and Death Forged. To become the pinnacle of the Forging… Praetorum did not know what that meant, but he had a feeling he would be finding out at some point.

After all, he was Ice Forged. And when Ishallr addressed him, he bowed in respect, and did as he was bid, striding over and taking his place on the dais.
word count: 311
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high