[Scalvoris Library] Making Connections

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2080
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

28th Cylus, 717
The library, again. Faith considered that this was the only other building on Scalvoris other than the house which she and Padraig had purchased which she had set foot in every trial they had been on the island. This trial, she'd come here and taken one of the large wooden desks to herself. She had books piled on it and Rose, the librarian, watched the intense young human woman every now and then. Faith was focused completely on what she was doing, entirely so.

The books which surrounded her were on the Immortals. With the Institute for Metaphysics being open in the Academy, Faith suddenly had access to more books on the Immortals than she had ever had before. Maybe, she considered, in Andaris library there was a section like this and she simply had not thought to look. There was no point to berating herself about that now, but it was definitely something worth remembering, she felt.

The books in front of her were in three almost-piles, each one consisting of too many books to pile up together. Famula, Vri and other Immortals. She had bought some supplies and she was going to make sure that she was doing this properly. There were so many snippets of information kept here and kept there and she needed a system. So, she determined, a system she was going to have.

Starting, of course, with Famula, Faith pulled over some of the note paper that she had and she started making notes from the books she had. Many of the facts and information about Famula, she already knew, but she wanted to make sure that this was done correctly. She was glad that she did because, whilst she already knew that Famula was the youngest of Cierel's children, for example, she had not been aware of the alliance between Famula and Moseke.

The hand she lifted to her cheek was an unconscious gesture, but the cheek where Moseke had touched her and, Faith thought and believed, healed her of the slave brands and scars which had marked her body. That added a whole new dimension to what she was going to read and the young woman made notes with care.

So far, she had Vri, Moseke, Jesine, Pre and Pier as names to also be writing about. She was sure that more would come as she read about them. This was a big job and the devout young woman gave a prayer of thanks to Famula that she was able to serve in this way and to learn as much as she could.
Off Topic
Deductions from Ledger:
Blank Journal x 2 - 10gn
Scribes Kit - 18gn
Total: 28gn
word count: 451
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

With the basic information recorded for Famula, Faith moved on to Vri. She knew that this was the best way to do it, to structure her research in such a way because if she didn't, then she'd end up focusing on Famula and pursuing every angle and going off on all sorts of tangents. No, if this research was going to be useful and helpful, then she'd need to make sure that she moved each subject in tandem with each other. So, having written out her basic facts about Famula, she moved on to Vri. There was more here that she hadn't known or read about before, but then she had worshipped Famula since she could remember. Her worship of Vri was much more recent and linked more with her freedom.

Still, she opened the book and started to read. He was the sibling of Pre and Pier ~ they were his sisters. Child of Brelt'ek, so not related to Famula, but she was listed as his ally. Jesine was his daughter and seemed, therefore, to be a Mortalborn, not an Immortal. Like Kura, their friend, born of Vri and a mortal woman. That explained why he oversaw Love, Sadness, Remembrance and Death. He, like Famula, was neutral in the war and had no wish to fight any of his siblings.

In terms of his enemies, Lisirra, Sintra and Syroa were listed and Faith frowned, for a moment. She hadn't made note of those for Famula and so she went back. There, looking at the pages of the book on Famula, there was a name. Aelig. She wrote it down with a hand which trembled slightly. Faldrun, Kata and Aelig were Famula's enemies and Faith wondered if that was why, why he had done the things he had.

She felt physically nauseous as she turned to the page and saw the diagram of him. There, she clenched her hand more tightly than it had been and felt a depth of emotion which she could no more stop than she could verbalise. What he had done to her, to them. She did not understand why, she could not understand why. He had taken and twisted her around, tied her in a knot until she did not know herself any more. If it had not been for Padraig, for his stubborn and determined love of her, Faith really didn't know what she would have done.

Sitting there, in the library, she heard Tristan ask her, what if it wasn't an illusion and he's taken your baby?, she heard that single, beautiful cry and Padraig's voice telling her, unless you tell me it's what you want, I'm not going anywhere. It was that last one she held on to, that determination to support her, even when he could barely stand. That was real, that was all that was real in this whole thing.

With calm and deliberate movements Faith reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of cloth. White brocade with lace, frilly and pretty. Just a small square of it, it was all she needed. Faith didn't show her emotions, she was far too disciplined to do so. That didn't mean, however, that she didn't feel them; she very much did. She prayed to Vri that her love might see her throught his, might make her strong enough. That she should remember, always even though the memories hurt. They hurt because she loved, and that would never be a weakness.

So, with renewed determination as she looked at the small piece of cloth, Faith turned her focus to making notes on Aelig, the Immortal who had messed with her and Padraig so much. He held dominion over Illusion, Mimicry and Chaos. His only allies were Lisirra and Syroa and he had created the Yludith. Sintih. Sintih, she was sure was one, for he had no blood. The only other one she had known was a friend or lover of Tristan's half brother.

She could sit here and look at that not-face for breaks, rehashing and replaying every horror but what good would it do? She had other things to do, other connections to make. Things which had been unclear seemed more apparent now, things which she hadn't known made the picture more clear, like a jigsaw being completed piece by piece.
word count: 739

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"You look upset"
Faith knew who it was before she looked up. The overwhelming smell of musty old books was there before he spoke. Marl, the ghost of the librarian who had been here before Rose, who had lingered because this was his home. Faith wanted to help him pass, to give him the opportunity of going on and doing whatever he should do, but he was about as stubborn as a mule.
"Do I, Marl?" Faith smiled a slight smile to him.
"Well, no, not really, but you know ~ I see things differently to most. Death has benefits."
Faith had an air of disapproval to her glance, but she said nothing. Death was not something to be mocked, after all. The ghost gave her a rare and utterly unapologetic smile.

"You didn't tell me why you look upset." He sat next to her and Faith looked at him.
"You didn't ask me to tell you anything." She smiled at him and he shook his head at her. She was as stubborn as him, he'd thought, but he was starting to think that she was actually just literal.
"Do you want to talk about it?" Faith shook her head.
"No, Marl. Thank you, though. I appreciate it." She didn't want him to feel upset or anything, after all. It was just personal.
"What are you reading?" She slid the book over to him and he read, almost hungrily. "What are you trying to work out?" Marl wondered, looking at that and her notes.

"I'm trying to increase my knowledge of the Immortals. I want to make sure that I know all the connections, the links." He nodded, his ghostly finger tapping soundlessly on the parchment she'd written on. How did he not slide through the chair or the table, she wondered. Was it because he expected not to?
"Friends and enemies, knowledge and power. All of that is good to know. Will it make you serve better?" Faith looked up at him in surprise at that, it was an insightful question and then some.
"I believe so, Marl," she spoke quietly. "I believe that in order to serve, it is as well if you know everything you can about the one you are serving. That way, you can meet their needs, expectations and desires before they have to express them. If you're very good, you can do it before they know they have them."

Marl looked at the young woman and he asked her outright. "How long were you a slave?" Faith didn't consider how he knew, she assumed that it was something that he had worked out. Marl was nothing if not observant, after all.
"From the time I was born until," she did some quick calculations in her head. "One hundred and twenty three trials ago today." Insightful or not, Marl looked surprised at that. That was no time at all.
"Do you serve her better now?" he wondered. Faith nodded her head, immediately. There was no doubt in her mind that she did. "How is that so?" Marl wondered.
"I choose to worship. Choice is the most powerful thing. I have chosen to cast aside other things, other trappings. But I choose to worship, choose to serve." Marl smiled at her and patted her hand. It was the only time that Faith felt cold, these trials, because of her Zuuda mark.
"And?" Marl asked and Faith considered.

"And so now, I have to know. I do not follow blindly but through choice, so I need to know everything I can. I need to make all the connections. That's why I'm doing this, why I'm learning. Because I choose to." She smiled at that realisation, turning to him even as she realised that he'd gone, leaving her to her work.
word count: 644

~ Rharne HQ
Bumblebee
Prophet of Old
Profession: Desnind Mod
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Staff

• Faith

5/5/0
    • Structure: 5
      Story: 5
      Collaboration: 0 (solo)

These points may not be used for magic.
    Knowledge
    Famula: Has an Agreement with Moseke
    Famula: Enemies to Faldrun, Kata & Aelig
    Vri: Brother to Pier & Pre
    Vri: Father to Mortalborn Jesine
    Vri: Child of Brelt'ek
    Vri: Neutral in the War
    Vri: Domains - Love, Sadness, Remembrance, Death
    Vri: Enemies to Lisirra, Sintra & Syroa
    Aelig: Domains – Illusions, Mimicry, Chaos
    Aelig – Created the Yludith
    Aelig: Allied with Lisirra & Syroa
    Aelig: Cruel
    Research: A Structured Outline Prevents Wasted Efforts
    Immortal: Pier & Pre
    Immortal: Jesnine
    Immortal: Moseke
    Marl: Ghost of Scalvoris Librarian
    Devotion:
    +1 Famula (Prayer)
    +1 Vri (Prayer)

Loot: A plethora of new knowledge? :)

Fame: N/A

Reviewer's Notes:
    Easy to read, and easy to grade! I love when a thread flies by, because it doesn't make the process feel arduous and I get to fully focus on the character at hand. These simpler moments are just as fascinating to me as the grandous plots and while some might disagree, I liked this. When Faith pulled out the lace and thought of Tristan's hypothesis that the baby was actually real and taken, it really made me feel for your PC. Lovely stuff.

As always, if I missed something or you're unhappy with my work, just shoot me a PM, skype message, or catch me in chat. Have a great day!
word count: 275
Work Hard. Stay Bumble.
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”