• Solo • Advocating for an Accurately Reflected Review

It's performance review time and Kotton is challenged by supervisors who seem to have no idea what they are doing

98th of Ashan 724

Your thread has been submitted for review! See your request here.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Kotton
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Scribe
Renown: 130
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Advocating for an Accurately Reflected Review

98 Ashan, 724
A young man’s eyes glazed over, multi-coloured irises churning in the heat of anticipation. The moon was nonexistent amongst the waking sky, but it was still there, and it was coursing energy into those who relied on it for whatever purpose. A smirk had subconsciously slid onto this young man's lips before it was wiped away with the back of a hand. He felt prepared. He felt confident. And above all else, he felt ready.

However-

There were questions, far too many questions, and they were all directed at him. Even more than just questions, they were questions he wanted to ask if he could be so enabled to. But now wasn't the time.

It was review time. It was just him and his two supervisors. They were all alone in a room together. In silence. There was always silence, because the young man couldn’t hear much of anything, but this silence was a little more silence than normal silence and it made him feel quite uncomfortable. He wished he could have a representative at his side, someone he could look to for advice when his throat dried up and his tongue tied itself.

Supervisor 1: There are several criteria we have scored you on based on last arc’s performance.

Supervisor 2: *Head nods*

Kotton: *Twiddles fingers* *Is desperate to look away, but understanding that if he were to, he would be unable to understand anything being said to him*

Pause.

Supervisor 1: We’ll start at the beginning.

Supervisor 2: Attendance and dependability. You are good at being here regularly for your shift. Prompt and punctual; ready to start your day. You are dependable to get your own work done but you are insufficient about fitting in additional tasks as requested by management. You are also not dependable to help your coworkers when needed and often portray a ‘what if’ mindset. You don’t stay late and do not offer to cover other shifts outside your scheduled working hours when the team is in need.

This review was already off to a rocky start. The paper the young man had been handed at the start was quivering between ghost-white knuckles. In big, bold letters was the letter ‘three’. The rating scale was based on a range. The range was between the numbers one to five, and it regarded the reviewees proficiency in terms of the criterion they were being graded on. A three meant ‘meets requirements' and so on.

The young man tried to hold his tongue and reigned in the impulsive outburst he so very wished to spout. His skin vibrated like the static in the air that came right before a heavy lightning storm. But he steeled himself, kept silent, and readjusted his position on the stool he sat on instead. He took a deep breath. But this breath would do him nothing. His mind was a story entirely different from the calm that should have happened due to his deeo breath.

He felt slighted by the score he had received. He held the knowledge of another’s review in the back of his mind like a ghost who couldn’t quite master the talent of making themselves known. Forever unknown would this be until it could introduce itself by way of manifesting an apparition or throwing objects across the room.

Kotton (thinking): I am here on time and I leave on time. That is what the contract I have signed states. One of my coworkers is here on time and always leaves late. They pick up shifts outside their scheduled shift, yet they have received the same score I have. Where is the sense in that? Where is the median? Where is this rubric to follow so I can be the best employee that I can be?

Unfortunately, since he did not verbalise his thoughts, they remained lingering in the stagnant air just like the ghosts that were unable to move objects or make themselves known. He did, however, manage to utter a simple question.

Kotton (aloud): Is there a wubwic I can follow to become a bettew employee?

Supervisor 1: *looks at supervisor 2*

Supervisor 2: That is proprietary knowledge.

Kotton (thinking, sarcastically): Just the answer I was hoping for.

Supervisor 1: Next up is communication skills and interactions with others.

Supervisor 2: *Clears throat* You have good ideas. You just need to be able to collaborate them with the rest of the team in a positive and productive manner. You can complete your duties with the team in mind, but management would like to see you refrain from participating in workplace drama that is not conducive in terms of positive interactions. You have a lot of opportunities to improve your soft skills, that is, communication skills that are nonabrasive and thus helpful to others. Management asks that you refrain from sending out department-wide letters or verbal declarations without first speaking with management first.

Supervisor 1: *Makes eye contact with supervisor 2*

Kotton (thinking): I don’t dabble in drawing smiley faces and other flowery things on the letters I write. I am direct and factual. Since when is that not professional? When have I ever not been professional in my letters to the rest of the team? When have I ever been 'abrasive' when verbally communicating with my coworkers?

Kotton: *looks at the soft skills pamphlet that was just given to him*

Kotton (thinking): When have I not adhered to these very guidelines?

The pamphlet given to him would be deposited into the wastebin after the meeting.

Kotton (aloud): I have wowked with several people on many diffewent activities, so I don’t quite undewstand what you mean when you say I should ‘complete duties with the team in mind’. My letters to the depawtment are pwofessional and concise. They do not accuse anyone, awe devoid of insults and vulgaw language, and they shouldn’t wequire management’s appwoval befowe being published. Can you please pwovide me a few examples as to when I have been 'abwasive', and can you please give me evidence as to why I have weceived the scowe I have gotten?

Kotton: *looks down at paper and bites lip with repressed frustration at the medial score that is ‘capable, but could improve' (which was a two on the reviewal scale)*

Supervisor 2: *looks at supervisor 1*

Supervisor 1: *gives an example of an unprofessional letter sent to the department*

Kotton (aloud): This is an example from this awc, not last. Is my weview not supposed to be based on last awc's pewfowmance?

Pause.

Kotton (aloud): Nonetheless, I see no evidence of unpwofessionalism in this letter. Not only have I not called anyone out, I was not insulting in any way, shape or fowm. I conduct myself in 'a positive and pwoductive manner' as you have genewally advised. The only "wowkplace dwama" I have been apart of has been due to fwustwations that have been bwought on by management.

Supervisor 1: *writes down something in journal*

Supervisor 2: *utters a soft sigh*

Pause.

Supervisor 2: Next up is productivity.

Kotton: *resists to the best of ability to let go and instead exhale an aggravated sigh*

Kotton: *looks down at paper, still agitated with the lack of conclusion that was concluded from the last criteria reviewed*

The young man could barely keep within himself the irritation associated with the score that had been published on his pamphlet. He was more than unhappy with what he had received. It did not accurately reflect his ability to be 'productive'. So what in all immortal's view were they basing his ability off of?

He tried to make calm of his frustration and unequivocal hilarity by establishing several deep breaths. He forced himself to locate a soft spot on the ceiling to gaze upon. The moments passed, but they were of inconsequence. Still, he tried. And with his try, he was able to find some secular mode of comfort. He used this newfound comfort to adjust his composure.

The young man looked back up at his supervisors.

Supervisor 2: You prioritise and complete tasks within your scheduled shift on a regular basis with minimal supervision and you do not stay late to finish any extra work.

Kotton (thinking): You mean to define this "extra work" as work from other employees, not from myself. I always complete my work.

Supervisor 2 (continuing): You pay attention to detail and can produce quality work with equally quality results. However, you can work on your professional presence by reflecting on having a ‘can do’ attitude, being aware of what you say in the presence of others, and adopting a more team-oriented mindset. You also tend to avoid taking the initiative to perform additional tasks even when asked by management.

Kotton (thinking): If this is about productivity, then why is my attitude and character being judged so harshly? I am professional, as I have shared only seconds ago. I only complain when complaining is necessary and I only complain to those I trust or to those who have shown to me a similar mindset. That leaves me to wonder who the rat is in the room. But beside that, it doesn't seem fair that other criteria are being merged in with others. This wasn't the trait of a blacksmith attempting to fuse copper with iron with silver. Sure, the overall grade was important to know, but why split it up into specific sections if you aren't to pin-point particular performance?

Kotton (aloud): I’m confused.

The young man chose to find a passive approach to confront his supervisors. The very supervisors who seemed to be inaccurately reviewing his performance. He confronted them so as not to appear hostile or resistant against the degree of criticism he was being given- constructive or not, he would spit on it if he so chose to do. But he chose instead to employ proper etiquette by reiterating what he had been told, making sure that what he had been told was correct, and ending his reiteration with a soft and open ended, "is that right?"

However, the young man found it difficult to stop whilst he was ahead.

Kotton: I do what I am told. I comply with whatevew task management instwucts me to pewform. And if I cannot pewform said task wequested of me, I will pwioritize it for the next day. Can you please give me an example of when I have avoided any additional tasks?

Supervisor 1: *clears throat* An example would be when you were asked to deliver a sample to the analytical nurse, but appeared angry that you had to perform such a task. You also stated something along the lines of ‘I am already tending to six other patients’. It is important than you also utilise the shift exchange form for those tasks you fail to complete during your shift.

Kotton (thinking): So what should I have done instead? I'm approached in the middle of my shift when I am already in the thick of attending to multiple patients- a trait that should be viewed as overperforming. Should I push off those commitments I have already made to tend to the request that was asked of me? I already stated that I would prioritize it for the next day. And yes, *fumes with disagreement* I always fill out the shift exchange form for my fellow coworkers to utilise when they follow my shift.

Kotton (aloud): *unable to vocalize his concerns before being given a reply, albeit unwarranted*

Supervisor 1: You could have maybe chosen to attend to five patients instead of six.

Kotton (thinking): I remember this request, actually. It was halfway through my shift, like I had thought. I had already prepared my day with the intent of overperforming as I usually like to. How am I supposed to drop all my patients that were given to me by directive in order to perform a menial task such as delivering a sample to another part of the clinic? And wait a minute. Wasn’t this a situation that occurred this arc, not last? Am I not supposed to be reviewed based on my performance of last arc?

Kotton (aloud): It’s disappointing to think that my expwession of concewn as to being ovewworked was taken as an act of wesistance.

Pause.

Supervisor 1: Your "expression of concern" was seen as combative, therefore our decision to give you the score you received. Usually requests from management trump any current issues. If that has not been made clear, please let us know.

Kotton (thinking): I remember from my writing course at the university that the use of "I believe" or "I think" denotes your level of authority and value, so I should refrain from using such phrasing.

Kotton (aloud): It's difficult to modify a twial mid-way to accommodate additional duties not otherwise scheduled, especially after I have declawed they would be done the following twial. Whilst this is also an example of this awc, I will ignowe it and instead focus on the fact that communication fwom management is not cleaw. The impowtance of specific tasks should be bettew addwessed, mowe stwaight foward, and if anything, verbally wequested.

The room was starting to get cold. This was unusual since both parties had implicitly expressed some form of frustration that had easily translated to hot bodily emissions. Still, the cold nipped at the young man's nose and made his eyes sting. He tended to have a 'fifth sense' when it came to injustice and unfairness, gifted to him by Pre and Pier, so it made little sense that it was just a 'systematic reaction' to having heard exasperating and irksome news.

He had tried to advocate for himself. He had already deposited substantial energy into standing up for what he thought was right. So it was only natural that the remaining control of his emotions was slipping into the realm of exhaustion.

Supervisor 1: It’s important to be more forward thinking in the case of the requests that may be asked by management.

Supervisor 2: *nods in agreement*

Kotton: *tries his hardest to keep from spurting profusive and inappropriate terminology*

Kotton: *desperately tries to keep his fingernails from digging any additional pockets into the palms of his hands*

Supervisor 2: Now, we have job knowledge and judgement/decision making.

The young man had already glanced at his score for this particular criteria just as he had with the last. The very action almost broke him. The sight of the score was enough for him to forget all about being kind and courteous. He forgot all about maintaining a cordial and professional smile. A smile with the sole purpose of prevailing amidst all the bullshit and buffoonery that had been directed his way.

He forgot that he had been holding a piece of paper determining his raise. It crumpled underneath the force of his white knuckles. He quickly released his death-hold and repositioned the paper so that it was placed safely underneath his left leg. The young man hoped no one had seen his brief act of aggravation.

Supervisor 1: You effectively think things through when you have an idea. You will ask for help or provide suggestions for a possible solution. You have more than a basic understanding of tasks and can recognise when results deviate from what is typical. However, you tend to display issues following procedures. There were a few examples where you didn’t enter results for multiple days and didn’t perform duties because you didn’t want to. You also decided on your own to go against the standard operating procedure to change a particular procedure without consulting management first.

It didn't warrant any repeating, but the young man had thrown what little remained of his cool, calm, and collectedness. Out the nonexistent window they went, made to fly like the birds that chose to migrate to the south. Whilst there was still a small smile latched onto his face, it wasn’t genuine. His knuckles were still a ghostly white and they curled ferociously inward against his palms.

However, the young man held this aggression in a place where no one apart from himself could see it. He knew how to be polite, and he knew how to be professional when faced with those of higher authority, no matter if this 'authority' was valid or not. Yet, the tale of narcissism and egotism was a tale to be unfolded during another time.

The young man's mind was protesting against the fire that raged incredulously inside his skull. He resisted the urge to scream and pound his fists against the walls that surrounded him. Using this infuriation and rage, it was easy for him to locate the word 'solution' and translocate it to another use of the very same word. Where there was 'ask for help and provide suggestions for a possible solution', there was also a description that detailed his adequacy pertaining to 'communicating with others to find solutions to problems'. Frustration was a concept long already introduced and recognised, now it was time for contradiction and inconsistency to play their part.

Kotton (thinking): I didn’t enter results because I don't routinely check every clipboard in the department. I didn’t perform my duties because I 'didn’t want to', but because I do what is manageable for me and with the consideration of those who follow me. This 'going against standard operating procedure' is nonsensical. I’m certain you’ll find a letter at the bottom of your pile that details the findings of my experiment. I really would have appreciated a reply, but I didn't get one, so I was unaware that what I had done was something wrong. It isn't right that I have been judged on behaviour I had no knowledge of being incorrect.

The young man was better than that. He knew those who fought so desperately to remain right, and resist being wrong, wouldn't take a second to think about his logic or reasoning. So the young man decided to paraphrase and hit them where it hurt most. And made the most sense to him.

Kotton (aloud): I would vewy much appweciate if you would wefwain fwom using contwadictions duwing youw evaluations of my weview.

The young man was very antisocial, but his passion for fairness, equality, justice and that which was true and false was a source that made him stronger.. Whilst soft-spoken and avoidant of disagreement and confrontation, he had a heart of such prowess and strength that it could defend against anything that shrieked potential against what was notably honourable. In fact, the young man had a difficult time not calling on the immortals he worshipped to tip the scales. He had been shown that he had abused his power for situations that weren't important enough according to Pier and Pre. But now was as time as any, and it reeked of injustice. So much so that he was confident in the use of his blessing and its importance.

The young man's part in this entire scenario did only encouraged his intense desire to make right what was wrong. It only made sense that he would reach for the blessing he had been given and use it for the purpose it had been gifted for.

Kotton (aloud): This is the twuth. The weviewal pwocess is unfaiw. This is the twuth. Using examples of pewformance fwom this awc to detewmine last awc's pewfowmanced is ewwonious.

The fact that his statement was backed by factual evidence made his declaration all the more believable. He brought forth evidence of the inaccuracy he had witnessed solely during his own review meeting. He had no need to use his ability of ‘Hear No Evil’, because he already knew that most of what he had been told was untrue. And he was almost certain that his supervisors knew it was untrue as well.

Kotton: I appweciate the time you have taken to meet with me.

The young man stood from his chair and exited the room, leaving both supervisors reeling with the statement that had been issued to them.

Would his review be changed? Would his coworkers? He didn't know, and he honestly didn't care much either. His focus was more on how things would become after the fact. He hoped there would be more understanding and compassion and justice towards employees if not for the sake, but for those he worked with.

In conclusion, he wasn't worried about his review and what edits would transpire after his meeting with his supervisors. He had done what he thought was right. He even took the time to express genuine gratitude to Pre and Pier for the blessing they had gifted him with.

He would sleep well that following night, remiss of any consequences- lulled into a restful slumber with the contentment that resulted from having done what he believed was righteous.
word count: 3562
Kotton
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Scribe
Renown: 130
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Advocating for an Accurately Reflected Review

Rewards Requested

Notes/Warnings: Some possible, mild language

Thread: Advocating for an Accurately Reflected Review
City/Area: Scalvoris Town

Renown: +5 for standing up against those of higher authority
Wealth Points: N/A
Collaboration: No
Local Language Thread? No - Common
word count: 126

Your thread has been submitted for review! See your request here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”