• Mature • In The Cold Light

38th of Saun, 722

With the escalation of hostilities between Etzos and Rhakros, a series of small walled towns is being established as a network of early warnings and defenses against Rhakros' reprisals. Only the very bravest and most formidable of characters should risk themselves on the Witches' Wilds frontier.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Kasoria
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Renown: 1260
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: In The Cold Light

When did I become so bloody transparent? Then again, when last did I speak with someone who knew me?

Kasoria couldn't help but smirk at her evaluation of him. That obvious, was it? For all his protestations and attempts, he still missed... something. He didn't want to admit it, because he knew damn well what it meant. But he was here, and he was trying. There was no point in being ashamed in loving the roar of battle in your ears, the animal pleasure of conquering and killing and surviving your enemies. Any man who claimed such joys were a lie, or the preserve of madmen and monsters alone, was a liar. Even good men relished combat. Even they missed the purpose it gave them.

All true. But you are not a warrior. Not really.

Yet he had grown wiser, and his smile morphed into a frown as Maxine's mockery turned back to the task she had ahead of her. She spoke of slaughter. Massacre. No survivors, no tongues to speak or eyes to identify. Long ago, he would have approved of such a plan. It as simple but brutally effective, and it was the most hideous of logic to conclude that with none left alive, none were left to threaten you. But this was not long ago... and he was no longer the man she knew.

No. I'm more useful.

"That the extent a' yer plannin'? A heap a' fuckin' corpses? Fates, girl. I thought more of yeh than that."

Whatever shock or indignity she would feel from hearing that - from him, of all fucking people! - Kasoria ignored it. This needed to be said plain, but also well and without argument. As she'd spoken he had felt some... rage, welling in her words. She didn't just want to get the job done, she wanted to exact some measure of satisfaction from all that blood. And him, of all fucking people, knew that never worked out well.

Not when-

"Youse have other options. Stop thinkin' like some Oh'Pee scratcher rollin' a few drunks. Yeh've got a lotta killin' in mind, fer one girl on her own, wi' that wee sword in yer hand. Oh, dun' get me wrong. I dun' doubt you got plenny tasty over the arcs. Learned more than I taught yeh, I'd mark. But it's still jus' you. On yer own. Against a whole caravan. An' all it takes is one lucky guard or des'prut traveler t'stick somethin' sharp in yeh... or crawl off when yer not lookin'."

The Raggedy Man, as was, shook his head. The arcs of experience evaluating her plan and finding it crude and wanting.

"Yeh need t'think beyond yer blades, girl. Take it from one who shoulda', long time ago. 'specially now yeh got me t'help. That wee trick I pulled in the bar wi' the Shield? Jus' a taste. An' that's not the only kinda magic in me..."

To make his point, he willed his incessant Transmutation Spark to life and commanded it to fill his black eyes with a brief glow of Brilliance. Jet black pulsed into turgid, dirty blue for a moment, letting Maxine see one of the twins Kasoria bore inside him. Elements of power that he'd never have thought to possess when she'd known him, and yet now he mastered like obedient and terrible hounds.

"Plenty nuff t'distract an' focus attention. Plenty fer youse t'make yer move, without havin' to slaughter yer way across half the countryside. A countryside, I'll remind yeh, that's still thick wi' army patrols, bandit, sellsword bands hirin' t'the Council an' t'any man wi' coin. Ain't like the old days, when it was a half-dozen fat cunts in cheap armor babysittin' a few merchants. Now it'll be lads who were at Rkahros, survived the Siege, mebbe even fought at the Crescent Arena."

The thought of her, of him, matching swords with such men made him pause. Not for fear of death, injury, or even defeat... but the shame. Aye... he'd found he could feel that, after all these arcs. There were still bad men in Etzos and he didn't lose a wink killing them that would hurt his city. But some poor sods looking to feed their families by pulling caravan detail? That wasn't what he was anymore. That wasn't what he wanted for his people, even if it was to help this girl.

"I don't promise yeh shite, girl, an' if yer bent on this way an' no other... I won't stop yeh. Much as I should. But if yeh try something else, think a diff'rent direction... I'll be wiv' yeh. An' we can keep the bodies to a minimum, ye'ken?" He held out a fist to her, and wrapped up his little speech. Thanks be to that gnarled old cunt Bangun, for teaching him a little of negotiation, with a dash of theatrics. "Yeh said yeh were tryin' to change, an' no fuck up anymore. Then try somethin' new. Think a diff'rent way. Mebbe it'll work fer youse, more than fer me..."

No more to be said. He waited with an arm outstretched, for her to either bump with her own fist or bat aside. Either way, he wasn't going to ask twice.
word count: 910
Common Speech | Thoughts | Ith'ession Speech | Speech of Others
Max
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 965
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

She'd made her intentions clear and she could see the change in his demeanor as he digested them. Mirth soured into disappointment. He shunned the very sort of planning that he had taught her. Her eyes narrowed ever so slightly. It was in the wake of the Raggedy Man's carnage that she once stepped over slain bodies in the silence that came after his deeds done, wetting the bottoms of her shoes with the warmth of blood petering out in unavoidable streams in her path. Kasoria's own lessons had turned archaic and draconian by his own judgements now. Things truly had changed.

Last time I saw you, Old Man, you were trying to convince me to kill. Now you're sitting here trying to talk me the fuck out of it.

Maxine's huff was audible in the face of the hypocrisy. Frustration tightened her expression. She was always being pulled so violently in two different directions. Chrien and Audrae lulled the darkest parts of her impulsive passions one way. Blackwood, the Albarech, Kasoria, all the people who dared to tempt her into being that something more, tugged her in another. The Rusalka ran her hand down her face. Her thoughts were committed but her ears listened anyways.

He tried persuading her in the ways he know how. In the ways he thought she might listen. Here in the safety and comfort of his home, in the bright Saun light, he knew he could appeal to what had always driven her: self preservation. They both knew he was right. She would remain outnumbered. Only an idiot would take on multiple attackers by absolute choice. A master swordsman of any caliber could fall under the right conditions to far lesser men. Any craven or blooding husk could drag themselves out of her line of sight and vanish while her eyes were occupied in the heat of battle. Another party of soldiers, travelers, or sellswords could march out of the woodwork and multiply her problems.

They could be set on by wolves. A tree could fall on her head while she rifled through the cargo. These were all equal editions to the endless list of "what ifs" and "could go wrongs." He wanted her to fall behind the safety of his magic. As much as he knew she loathed it, Kasoria wanted to use it to show her another way. A better way.

"I'm not trying to change," Maxine corrected him bluntly, eyes distant on the table where she dug with a fingernail at a groove in the wood. "Every time I think I am, I get...lost. It happens quick before I see it, and next thing I know, the next fuck up overshadows the last by leagues." She shook her head. "No. People like me don't get more chances. We don't get redemption."

After a moment the Rusalka pried her focus from the table and met Kasoria's face. Her hands curled to fists on the surface of the table. Slowly, one raised to meet with his in alliance.

"But I'll try something new. Your way. Then we'll see if I'm wrong and you're right."

Max offered him a small smile before dropping her hand and leaning back in her seat again. Chrien would have to bide her time before Maxine was completely consumed in the storm of her domains. A tether, this tether lost and now found again, had resurfaced to keep her from falling off the ledge into the darkness calling her name from the abyss she feared there was no returning from. It might've been the only one left.

"You got a map around here or somethin'?" Max glanced around the humble abode, small smile widening into a smirk. "I should know its exact timeline soon, but for now, we can at least plan where in its travel we strike it..."

word count: 655
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

RPG Rewards:

Kasoria

• XP: 15

Max

• XP: 15
Link to Review Request on the Forum: viewtopic.php?p=194188#p194188

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriately to PC's level
Notes: Always a pleasure to read about these two characters sharing a scene. This follows on well from the previous story that I saw in this series. When Kasoria was busy making breakfast for Maxine, I was ready to award him homemaker of the year, about until he kicked her in the behind about as hard as he could, to wake her up. That was a funny and only a little bit unexpected.

Maxine's reaction to getting a cold boot in the behind on waking was understandable, but impressively tempered when she regained her senses and defensive instincts fell by the wayside. I thought they'd done a lot of catching up in prior threads, but for all they've been through since last seeing each other, there was often more to tell and recount.

They've really been through the wringer each in their own way.

Maxine's reflection on how Kasoria's lessons when she was just a girl cursing him for being so hard and impatient with her as a learner was paid off well in the end. And the fact that with everytime those lessons paid off, Kasoria was proven right in her mind and thus redeemed a little bit over time, was really a good set up for how this one ends. I enjoyed their philosophical banter, about who was least wise out of the two of them, and finally deciding to settle it on one person's idea over the others?

Hopefully Kasoria's way will bear some fruit, and in that event, I do wonder how it will change the outcome of Maxine's efforts?

Great writing, thanks for the read!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 327
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Outlying Cities”