• Closed • Fantastic Mortalborn and where to find them: The Crimes of Grindelbran

(Nat Greg)

This is where the majority of dreaming threads will take place.

Moderator: Staff

Oberan
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Fantastic Mortalborn and where to find them: The Crimes of Grindelbran

Vhalar 79th 721

They sat in the dark, all of them. Though no torches hung nearby, not outside the cells and not further down the hallway, the prisoners weren’t quite stooped in absolute darkness. More like a twilight moments before a moonless night blanketed the world. What little light reached the deepest reaches of this labyrinth was nothing more than the last few gasps of a photon’s dying breath.
Not quite enough to make out details, but sufficient to see in, to an extent. Only flickering shadows of black at first, then shades and shapes of gray when their vision adapted.

The air was cold and stale, thick with the scent of dried blood and piss. Of mold and rot, and fear excreted as drops of sweat. Sickness and death.

It was quiet too, safe for the slow drip-drip of water on stone, the hushed conversation of the guardsmen standing down the hall, and the soft sobbing coming from several cages within the dungeon. There was no talking between prisoners, they barely made any sound at all. Wallowing in their own misery, questioning their life’s choices, wishing for the opportunity to turn back time. Hoping it was all but a dream, an awful nightmare they would eventually wake from.

One way to cope with the reality of your own bad decision making.

Oberan shifted position, rocking back and forth on aching butt cheeks in an effort to alleviate the growing numbness there. Rough straw scratched at his skin, clung to his loincloth –the only article of clothing they were allowed to wear. That and some chest wraps for the women among them. Beasts wore no clothes at all, and having broken the law in some way, shape or form, all of them were no more than wild animals now. Smart ones shaped like people, talking like people, but animals nonetheless.

There’d be no mercy. Unlike people, human or otherwise, monsters and animals were not protected by the letter of the law. No rights, not anymore. They’d been stripped of those the moment they were arrested and put on trial. No, it was earlier than that. The moment they made the choice to walk the path of the criminal. They’d no-one to blame but themselves, really. All of them had known what waited for them if they were caught, when they were caught. No-one escaped the all-seeing eye of the law very long.

From above, the distant sound of a roaring crowd echoed through the tangled web of hallways and corridors. The guards perked up, money changing hands. Some grinning, others scowling and cussing. The prisoners tensed like rabbits caught in open field, shaking their heads, clasping their hands in prayer.

Knowing they were coming. Knowing they might be next.

Something stirred to Oberan’s left, a form pushing itself upright in the cramped cell next to his. Roused by the cacophony, or perhaps the sleeping drug had simply worn off. He raised an eyebrow, squinted against the dark. A young woman with dark hair, confused at her surroundings, startled by the bars surrounding her at all sides.

“No use checking the bars,” Oberan whispered, “they’re old and rusty, but not weak. You’ve more chance cutting yourself and developing a disease than bend or break them. That’s how Lou died, couple weeks ago.”

Prisoners in the cages close to his shot him dirty glares, some hissing for him to shut up, eyes anxiously glancing towards the room’s entrance where the guards were. But they were preoccupied and a low whisper wouldn’t even reach their ears.

“I’m Oberan, by the by. What did you do to end up in here? Ah, that’s rude of me to ask, huh? No need to be ashamed of it, really, we’re all in the same boat. Boris there--” he pointed his thumb at the cage opposite hers “—sold hotdogs without a permit. Deborah--" he gestured in the direction of a woman a few cells away “—smoked a blunt once. Geoff parked his carriage in the spot reserved for the disabled. Bernadette cut in line at the postal office.”

“Will you shut up!” someone hissed from the cage above. “What we did is our business, not the newbie’s! And even if it was, it isn’t your place to tell them! How many times do we have to repeat the message before you’ll stop, huh?”

Oberan raised his eyebrows, rolled his eyes, and pretended to saw his own arm off. “Mark here is a bit of a grouch because the wind snatched a cigarette butt out of his hands and he couldn’t pick it up before anyone saw. Littering by accident is still littering, Mark!”

Mark grumbled something incomprehensible, though it sounded strikingly similar to a promise to kill Oberan with his own bare hands one day –but only after subjecting him to numerous hours of blood-curdling torture—or a ritual curse spoken in a forgotten ancient tongue, aiming to bring comedic misfortune and unending suffering upon the unfortunate victim. Oberan ignored it all the same.

Rather than pay Mark any further mind, he jabbed a finger at the burly figure to his left, whose expression wasn’t anything at all concerned or wrought with misery and self-pity, like many of the others present. Instead, as far as the light allowed to see, he was calm and serene, and looking mighty pleased with himself. “Ricky there killed seventeen redheads with big boobs and a pet dog, because they reminded him of the girl who didn’t want to date him when he was in high school.”

With a wide smile, Oberan turned back to the new girl, arms spread in a jovial gesture. “So you see, nothing to be ashamed about. We’ve all made mistakes, some bigger than others, but we’re all in the same place now. I won’t judge you, Immortals know we’ve already been ostracized enough by society itself for it. Besides, we it’s not like we’ve got much time left anyways, might as well make your peace with your missteps.”

“Shut your trap, Oberan! Read the room. No-one wants to talk with you, just leave her alone.”

“You shut up, Mark. Just because we’ll have to kill each other eventually doesn’t mean we don’t have to be friendly to one another. I am just trying to liven this place up a little and give the newbies a chance to distract themselves from their fate. If you want to be miserable, fine, but do it alone and in silence.”

word count: 1117
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Profession: Professional Nuisance Wrangler
Renown: 170
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Fantastic Mortalborn and where to find them: The Crimes of Grindelbran

Arc 721, Vhalar 79
“When we are asleep in this world, we are awake in another.”
― Salvador Dalí

To those around her, it would appear that the figure didn’t open her eyes at first. The noises and smells coming from around them were enough to convince anyone that perhaps opening their eyes wasn’t in their best interests. Laying against the cold stone, the body was still for a long time, drips of water echoing, unrelenting in their pursuit to force everyone to open their eyes and accept the grim reality around them.

As far as the light would allow one to see, the form finally, slowly pushed itself up into a sitting position. Or as much as it could, given the cramped space. The quiet was deafening, speaking to the severity of the situation, and only served to amplify the more ambient sounds of the room – the dripping water, for example. Looking down, Natalia quickly noted her dress, or lack thereof, swearing under her breath but appearing to not give, what amounted to a small piece of fabric and bandages, a second thought. The female body wasn’t a mystery, after all, and there were bigger concerns that were immediately apparent.

It was then that a voice spoke to her, a low, deep whisper, telling her about the bars. Glancing in the direction the words came from, her golden gaze found a pair of dark eyes looking her way. There were others, for the sporadic sobs and groans gave that away, but a voice speaking directly to her was something unexpected. A small act of benevolence set against a backdrop of despair. Despite having far more crucial things to consider, Natalia couldn’t help but be intrigued by the gesture but then again, curiosity was a bit of a burden at times.

In the depths of torment, who knew what another was thinking?

Nodding to him, her lithe body slid back against the stone, letting eyes adjust to the state of near non-existent light, listening as the others being held voiced their assorted displeasure at the fact that the man had spoken to her. Perhaps it was an unspoken rule that prisoners weren’t to speak? Who knew, but it was evident that they were displeased with the situation, which was utter nonsense really.

Perhaps she should have been scared. Others certainly were, but did that emotion serve a purpose? Fear was simply a reaction to a perceived danger, real or imaginary. There was no doubt that she was in danger, so what was the point in indulging it?

The man’s voice spoke again, introducing himself. Whether or not it was his actual name, she wouldn’t know, but at least it was something. Closing her eyes, she leaned her head back against the wall and waited a beat before responding. “Natalia,” she whispered softly, voice a bit raspy from not being used for a bit, appearing to ignore the others whining for the time being. Truth be told, they were being louder than she and her new friend were, so if they wished to make a genuine issue out of it, Natalia would gladly engage in that.

Glancing up at the voice above her that urged Oberan to stop spilling secrets, searching for the irritating owner of such, the young woman arched her eyebrow gently. “And just what exactly do you think I’m going to do with that information, good sir? Mark, is it? I’m not quite sure how knowing that will give me an advantage currently, but when I figure it out, you will be the first to know, since you are so concerned.”

Despite the situation, Oberan would note a smile flitting across her lips as he made mention of their disgruntled neighbor’s unfortunate attitude. “Indeed, I did notice his apparent resentment. He must be a delight at parties.”

‘Mark’ continued, but Natalia followed Oberan’s lead and paid him no further mind. Sitting in abject squalor, having a conversation with the oddly cheerful stranger, seemed to be the best choice currently available to the young woman, and it was pointless to waste the moment on something less appealing.

As he pointed out ‘Ricky’ and explained his transgressions, Natalia gave a theatrical gasp, turning the burly man's way. “No means no, Ricky!” Truthfully, the others weren’t nearly as intriguing as Oberan, so her acknowledgement of them was brief, interest quickly returning to the charismatic source, ready to answer his earlier question.

“Speaking of, as for the why, someone didn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. He didn’t take kindly to it when I reinforced the sentiment with my fist. Or the dagger, come to think of it. Perhaps an overzealous overreaction on my part to being manhandled but here we are.” Wincing a bit at the memory, she looked down at her hand, as if assessing for bruises. “I assume he was someone terribly important for me to have ended up here.” Her voice was soft, laced with a bit of amusement for there really was no point feeling any other way. There was something to be said about acceptance of one’s situation. Either she’d find a way out, or not.

He was very full of himself. Oberan, that was. Or appeared to be, but charismatic and wholly unique. If she was to die, there were worse ways to go. At least the company would be pleasant on the way out.

‘Mark’ seemed to have further business with her companion, but he was quickly shut down, amusingly so in her opinion. Apparently, there was to be fighting involved in their grisly ends. Interesting development, to be sure, but again, perhaps something of interest would come of it.

She waited for a lull in the griping before interjecting again. “Mark, darling, the last time someone decided to make decisions for me, I ended up here. This does not bode well for you, if you continue to speak for me, so please cease. I’m perfectly content with Oberan’s company and his insistence to..“ Stopping mid-sentence, the young woman glanced over at her companion, contemplative look on her face. “How did you put it? Oh yes. ‘liven this place up a little and give the newbies a chance to distract themselves from their fate.’ I don’t know about you, but it sounds like an excellent idea to me.”

And that was that, and while 'Mark' continued his grumbling, it became remarkably less noisy.

Leaning her head back against the stone wall again, she turned her head in Oberan's direction. "And you? If we are to have no secrets between us, tis only fair for you to confess what led you here to this moment, surrounded by the best civilization can offer."

Softly laughing, fully recognizing the ridiculous nature of her remark, she waited for his answer, with another in the wings, hoping to enrage their neighbors just a bit more with their clever bantering. "So, Oberan, tell me - how is this situation going to play out?"

Template Credit: Oberan
Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1186
"A girl should be two things: who and what she wants."

Oberan
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Oberan allowed a smile to curl the corners of his mouth, show the barest hint of teeth when the young woman –Natalia—engaged in conversation despite the complaints from the other prisoners. Then it grew wider when she sassed Mark without a second thought. And even more so when Mark nearly choked on his breath in response, uttering sound of offense and indignation both.

Ricky turned when addressed, blinking and shifting slow as if just waking from a trance. “Yes. No means no,” he nodded, regardless of whether or not anyone bothered listening. “Is why I left her alone. Didn’t push or insist or assault her after. I love her, I want her to be happy.” He sighed. “But I have feelings too. I wanted to be happy too. It hurt to see her with someone else. Made me furious. Thinking back to her rejection still makes my blood boil.” He clenched his fists, the muscles in his forearms rippling. “My therapist said it’s not good too bottle up your feelings. It’s not good to hold your anger in until you explode. You need to let it out somehow.” He nodded again, fingers flexing, wrapping around something unseen and squeezing hard. His voice grew softer now, barely audible, the words too quiet to understand as he mumbled to himself.

Natalia revealed her committed crime then, speaking of someone who wasn’t quite the gentleman Ricky was. Though she kept her story short and free of detail, the picture pained was more than clear enough. He heard nothing that ought to have landed her here though, until she mentioned the dagger. Punching the offender was one thing, but brandishing a knife was another.

“Someone important?” He chuckled. “’Fraid not. Non-consensual fondling of another’s sensitive parts is sexual assault, simple as that. Which is, I needn’t remind you, is forbidden by law. So Mr. Cop-a-feel should be in here somewhere too.” Not that they’d easily find him; there were hundreds of people incarcerated in the dungeon, several of them on similar charges.

“Self defense is technically assault, but as you aim is to defend yourself from harm, it is excused and doesn’t constitute a crime. Of course, your claims will be thoroughly investigated before any judgement is made.” He paused, scratched his head. “Now, drawing a blade on someone and attacking them with it, given the situation, is what we call ‘excessive force’. I suspect that if you’d stuck to punching, you’d have gotten away with it. Then again, if you punched him and he still pressed his luck, or got violent himself, it would be warranted…”

Oberan frowned then, a thought floating to the surface of his mind. “You wouldn’t happen to have, by any chance, acquired that knife illegally, did you? Did you have an official permit for it? You know, fancy-looking document. Swirly letters, signatures of government officials, the national crest watermark? Has your license number on it, some kind of funky and unique string of numbers and letters, as well as the expiry date?”

Another frown, scoring deeper lines in his brow. “You really ought to know all this. It’s elementary. They teach schoolchildren about the law the moment they’re able to read and write. And they should have reiterated the relevant ones during your trail as well. Do you not remember? Maybe it’s the anaesthetics. They sometimes do weird things to your head if you’ve been under for too long, especially shortly after waking.”

He brought one arm up to the bars, pressing it close so she could see. “Then I suppose you don’t remember this either?” On his arm, as on those of everyone else within one of the many cages, eight letters had been burned into the flesh, scabbed and scarred. A simple word in an easily readable font so even dyslexic individuals could decipher it without too much issue –supposedly.

Unfortunately, the reason behind the font choice was not legibility. No, with its unbalanced visual weight and poor letterfit, it served to humiliate the prisoners further. Just like the rags they wore and the animal cages they were kept in. And yet, the font had been popular for a while, taking the country by storm. It appeared everywhere, granting its visual flare to all sorts of messages, casual and businesslike, no matter whether or not the style fit the contents.

Until someone used it to print out the holy word of the law.

The bubble popped. Outrage followed. People recognized the font for what it was: an affront to nature, and graphical abomination of the highest order. In no time flat its use was banned, with the exception for branding the lowest of the low. The dregs of human society, those few who discarded their humanity and degenerated to beasts.

And so it happened that the word “criminal” marked on every person within the dungeon, written in Comic Sans.

The expected question soon followed, Natalia wondering about Oberan’s own misdeeds. He gave a little smirk and leaned in close. “Tax evasion,” he said.

“Hey, you filthy liar, that’s not what you told me,” Mark protested. “You said you dined and dashed!”

“Jaywalking! He said it was jaywalking!” someone hissed.

“What? He told me he embezzled government funds!” another said.

“I heard he ran a pyramid scheme,” Deborah piped up.

“There’s no two identical stories! He’s been spouting nonsense the whole time!”

“So then everything he said about stealing the crown princess’s heart is a lie also?”

“Ah, to be young and in love again,” Oberan sighed.

“Her heart? He claimed it was her virginity when I last talked to him!”

“Stolen according to the royal family, she gave it to me willingly.”

“Tall tales all, just like your lies about infiltrating the national bank and emptying the entire vault!”

“And defacing all the Capital’s monuments, for shits a--”

“For shits and giggles, yes,” Oberan laughed. “I hear they had a tough time getting that alchemical ink washed off.”

“Also he mentioned to me he scammed thousands of people out of their savings by pretending to be a long lost relative in need of money!”

“Well, if they’re stupid enough to fall for that, they definitely deserved it,” he shrugged.

More and more voices joined the chorus, louder and louder, bouncing off the walls within the large space, all with their own account of what he had done. Switching all male and female undergarments within a village, dressing up in cape and mask to deliver vigilante justice in the night for the heck of it, organizing workers’ unions and encouraging laborers to go on strike, sneaking into the mayor’s bedchamber and farting on her pillow,… The list grew and grew, as did the noise within the dungeon. Reaching, then exceeding the upper limit as to what might go unnoticed by the guards. Fortunately, it seemed the continuous roars of the crowd drowned out everything else. For now.

Oberan banged a fist against the bars, made them ring like a bell. The cacophony of grumbling ceased, thankfully, the prisoners remembering their position and the consequences of causing too much of a fuss.

“Well, I understand your confusion,” Oberan began, his whisper carrying, “but I am not a liar. I did all those things and more.” He shrugged. “But believe what you will, it’s no skin off my back.”

He turned back to Natalia then. “Want to know what got me caught?” His expression lost some of its amused confidence, make way for sheepishness and slight embarrassment. “Lollygagging.”

Within moments he went back to his normal self. “As for what comes next, well--”

The walls shook, the cages rattled. Dust rained down from the ceiling. Several booms pulsed through the entire building, pounding to the rhythm of an unheard voice. But nearly everyone in the room knew the words, heard them drone within their mind. Thousands of voices chanting them loud. They’d been up their themselves, once. Before committing the crime that landed them here. We want more! We want blood! We want more! We want blood! We want more!

Oberan raised his eyebrows, shot Natalia an impressed look. “Seems like the audience is all fired up. Won’t be long now. They’ll be here, soon, I think.”

The words barely out of his mouth when the prisoners nearest to the doors began shushing, slicing their air with sharp hisses. Everyone fell silent. Conversations and grumbling, the soft wails and sobs and other sounds of misery. Oberan caught Natalia’s eyes and held a finger against his lips.

And only moments later, the double doors were thrown wide open.

word count: 1462

Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Arc 721, Vhalar 79
― Salvador Dalí

She saw it – the smile. Natalia allowed one brief shining emotion to seep in, pleased that, at the very least, she provided a source of amusement for another in midst of the vast, wallowing, and frankly, utterly depressing pit they found themselves in. Almost as quickly as it was felt though, was it shuttered away again, making room for more pressing things.

Ricky’s words were interesting. In a psychologically horrific way, certainly, but interesting. There were pieces she could have replied to but chose not. She knew nothing of love or the torment it could wage upon one, and speaking out of turn was not something Natalia did. Didn’t mean she wouldn’t continue to consider the context of what he said, however.

It was at that point that her new companion, who apparently moonlighted as a jailhouse lawyer, began going over the finer points of law which, while amusing, she was already aware of.

And he kept on…and on, prompting an amused smirk to slip free when he finally wrapped it up. “Just because I shouldn’t, doesn’t mean I won’t. Just because I know the law doesn’t mean I won’t break it if I feel justified. Or because I want to. Besides, the knife was merely to emphasize the point, that I wasn’t going to acquiesce to his implicit wish.”

And that was, apparently, all she had to say about that.

When Oberan showed her the brand on his arm, Natalia turned her head away. Of course, she hadn’t forgotten about it, but what point was there in acknowledging it?

More than the actual brand, seared into her flesh, did she detest, was the collection of symbols with similar characteristics that had been chosen for the deed. It screamed of tastelessness, and she was morally offended for even being associated with it. The word? Whatever. But the font? Inexcusable. There were few other things that could inspire such hatred, especially with almost no effort whatsoever.

As he leaned close, her eyes found his, curious if she would see any indication of truth. In a place, such as the sinkhole they found themselves in, truth changed from one moment to the next. Fleeting obscurity, offering varying levels of comfort depending on what one wanted or needed at the time.

The answer that came wasn’t entirely expected, but the responses from the other denizens were nothing more than comical. From every direction, a new crime, all supposedly the reason why he found himself the resident of the world’s worst country club. Laughing softly, juxtaposed against the harshness of the environment and situation, wholly out of place, Natalia couldn’t help herself.

The more they spoke, the softer her voice got, as if keeping what she said between just she and Oberan, or trying to at least. “You’ve been busy. Scheduling must have been a nightmare, but I suppose if you enjoy the work, that’s all that matters.”

The roars of the crowd nearby grew louder, pulling everyone’s attention back to the more immediate issue. Natalia leaned against the bars a bit, finding a spot near where they disappeared into the wall that wasn’t rife with sharp edges, watching the man with her.

There was a difference in his demeanor as Oberan spoke of what, he said, had gotten him caught. Gifted a rare smile, whatever response she had planned for him was interrupted by the shaking of their cages. Glancing up, Natalia attempted to ascertain what was going on, only able to surmise that it had something to do with the crowd. Before she had a chance to return to the subject, the soft edge was gone in his expression. He was, once again, as he had been, and its absence troubled her. She wanted it back.

It appeared things were quickly coming to some sort of agreed-up conclusion. She watched as the prisoners moved as far back in their cages as they could, the sounds of despair ramping up again. The animals knew what was coming, but the young woman did not.

Her eye caught movement from Oberan, putting finger to lips. Offering a quick nod, she returned her attention to the doors, which then opened.

Bright light poured through the doors, accompanied by the deafening sounds of the crowd. Well, it could have been normal light for all she knew, but after sitting in near darkness for as long as she had, any light was blinding. Blinking, the young woman shielded her eyes carefully with a lithe hand, curious as to what was to happen next, but also, gathering information for her own next move.

Back at the doors, a pair of guards emerged. An unlikely pair for sure – slender man about Natalia’s size, and a slightly larger woman with a sneer. Beyond those specifics, the young woman simply didn’t care. To those watching the dark-haired newcomer, they would see her eyes darting about furiously, but let nothing on outwardly, simply sitting against the bars that separated her and Oberan, silently observing, hands folded in her lap.

The light streaming through the doors, thankfully, illuminated the situation far better than the previous darkness. It was a blessing and a curse. Golden eyes could see everyone else much, much better, but that also meant that others could see her. Curves for trials, it was apparent the lithe brunette was in excellent physical condition, but something about her body was so beautifully balanced, almost as if a sculptor had brought her to life. The muscle was there, but nothing overt, blending perfectly against her curves. Smudges of dirt and other assorted nastiness did nothing to hide the near-flawless, slightly sun-kissed skin Natalia was blessed with.

Quietly assessing and watching, the prisoners waited to see what the pair of guards had in store for them.

The man spoke first. “Which ones are we taking?” Rolling her eyes, the woman jerked her head towards Natalia’s cage. “That one. He wants her up there first. She took out three guards before she was subdued, so he’s hoping that she puts on a good show.” A smirk slipped against her lips. The comment she spoke was meant for Oberan but speaking directly to him would put her one and only companion in further danger by drawing attention, and she wouldn’t do that.

“Further evidence that when I say ‘no’, I mean ‘no’. I had other things to do and I didn't wish to waste time being detained. Really and truly. We all just had a good, constructive lesson about that, and I feel like we are in a better place to make more appropriate choices about consent. Giving Oberan a bit of a sideways glance, she continued to vocalize her thoughts. I don’t think I can be blamed for feeling that way, but you all do you and I’ll sit here and watch the show.” Grinning a wickedly little grin, the female guard, pushed the young man towards Natalia’s cage. “Never you mind that, little girl. You’ll have a show soon enough, I think.” Arching her brow at the male guard, she pointed at the cage. “Go get her, you buffoon. Stop standing there, Carl.”

It was evident he was wary of the caged young woman, and as soon as he started walking towards her kennel, Natalia straightened up, glancing over at Oberan. Giving him an appraising once-over look and mischievous smile, her spoken words were laced with a gentleness foreign within those walls. “See you on the other side.”

Moving, Natalia met Carl at the front of the cage, watching as his hands fumbled with the keys. Rolling her eyes, she made a motion with her hand, indicating for him to hurry along the process. “Anytime now, Carl. I have a nail appointment in fifteen bits and my cuticles are in serious need of attention.” Sneering, the female guard came over to and poked Natalia with her staff thingie, pushing the young woman slightly away from the door. “Back up…or else.”

Once the key was turned, the door started to move and Natalia found that she really wanted to know what the ‘or else’ was, motivating her into action. She had one shot and a lot to do.

The young man wasn’t difficult. A quick thrust of her fist to his throat and swift knee to the groin took him down in an expected, rapid fashion. Stepping quickly over him, the female guard moved to contain the prisoner, stumbling a bit in surprise, but one look told Natalia exactly what was needed in the situation. Lowering, she executed a graceful back sweep, taking the woman’s feet out from underneath her. As soon as the guard’s body started falling, her hand shot to the guard’s head, making sure it smacked the cold stone hard.

Looking at the pair, she quickly assessed the damage as cell keys were retrieved, moving swiftly as she spoke. “Carl, awful, awful listening skills. You had already been told that getting close to me was a bad idea. Not only did you do it, but you….oh! My new favorite word, in fact. You ‘lollygagged’ with the keys. Also, put your free hand up to protect your face and neck. Always.” The incapacitated guard, to his credit, tried to move. A sharp eye from the dark-haired prisoner stopped him in his tracks. "I wouldn't, Carl. Stay. Good boy."

Turning to the female, knocked out cold, Natalia considered her clothing quickly. Grabbing one end of the guard’s jacket, she pulled, effectively rolling the guard out of it. I confess, I'm a bit confused at the 'or else'. I don't think those words mean what you think they mean, darling, but no matter. Also, I have one word for you – footwork. Atrocious. Oh, I guess that was two words. No matter.”

Sliding the light jacket over her near-nothing pieces of material, she found herself a bit swamped, owing to the clothing being too big. Sighing, she added on to her earlier assessment of the woman.“And carbs! You gotta watch the carbs. They are a thing!”

Removing their weapons and tossing them across the room, she had some parting words. “I know, I know – these critiques are harsh, but how will you ever improve if I’m not honest with you both?”

Standing upright, keys in hand, golden eyes found Oberan’s, smiling. “I kinda like this side better than that side. Join me?”

Walking over to his cell, she quickly unlocked the door, letting it swing open. “I assume you have some dash dining, pyramiding, embezzling, jaywalking, defacing, and stealing of various things, if the claims are to be believed, to get back to..."”

Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1835

Oberan
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Light fell into the room, and with it came two guards. Their eyes swiveled back and forth over the rows upon rows of cages, the prisoners within either shrinking back or freezing under their gaze. Only a select few did not react. The reasons varied, some still too drugged to comprehend the situation, others still asleep. There were criminals like Ricky, who had been living mostly within their own mind, shutting out the real world. A few clung to pride, refusing to flinch, refusing to show any outward signs of being intimidated. No more than a thinly veiled façade fooling only themselves.

But among the miserable creatures were some who simply did not fear the guards or their fate. Or perhaps they simply did not care enough about either for the emotion to manifest.

Natalia seemed to belong in the former group. Fearless. Even when it became clear that the guards had set their sights on her. Even now the thunderous call for blood from above could finally be clearly understood now the doors were open and the noise was invited in.

Though it seemed the new girl had left out some key details regarding her arrest.

Oberan whistled sharp and low, yet barely audible. “Three city guardsmen? Not too shabby.”

The male guard approached Natalia’s cell gingerly, treating her every bit like a dangerous beast. Hesitant steps, baton ready, eyes flitting from left to right in a nervous attempt to take notice of every little motion she made.

“See you on the other side,” Natalia said.

Reclining with arms crossed against the rusted bars of his cage, Oberan bared his teeth in a sharkish grin. “Sure,” he said, “Why not. Might as well.”

Carl fumbled with the lock, put on edge by Natalia’s taunts and behavior, his partner looming behind, tapping her foot impatiently, and the fact he stood more or less between the two of them. Really, he didn’t know what to do. The prisoners never acted like this when they were picked. They cried and sobbed and begged and tried very much to become one with the bars of their cells. Never, not once did they implore him to hurry it up.

And never did one fight back.

Perhaps she was too fresh. A recent arrival who hadn’t had the chance to become a gaunt and weak, half-starved husk yet. Hadn’t had the time to give in to self-pity and misery, to fall so far down the pit of despair that she felt resistance was futile. She wasn’t broken yet, and perhaps, even given an extended stay in the dark and dank and rank dungeon, she never would have.

Either way, the two guards had never dealt with any prisoners other than the hollowed shells. Their job was easy, rarely requiring them to pay much attention, and when one of the halfway-dead beasts did struggle, beating them to a bloody pulp posed barely a challenge.

In short, they were not prepared.

Natalia made quick work of them, ruthless and efficient, if not a bit too loud. Fortunately, the roar and rhythmic stomping of the crowd drowned out most of it. Within the span of a couple eyeblinks, both guards were down on the floor, one unconscious, the other wishing he was. Not much later she’d thrown their weapons across the room, claimed the woman’s coat along with her keys. Eyes catching Oberan’s, she smiled.

“Join me?”

“Each side has its pros and cons,” he said, shrugging slightly. “I am exactly where I want to be.” A sigh followed, and he waved her closer. “But I suppose I can’t let a kindred spirit down, and I would not be a gentleman if I let her ill-considered escape attempt be in vein.”

The keys turned, the clock crunched, and the cage door swung open. Oberan stepped out, stretched his arms high above his head, and relished in a couple quick pops in shoulders and spine. Then he crouched in front of Carl –who’d made attempts to inconspicuously crawl towards the door while Natalia’s back was turned-- and rapped a knuckle hard against his temple. The guard sagged, eyes rolling back in their sockets. Oberan stripped him bare in a moment, then reluctantly wrung himself into the outfit.

“Two guards go in, two come back out. Put on the rest of the uniform too,” he said. “You can’t pass for one wearing just the coat. Which is fine if you plan on fighting everyone we run into. I wouldn’t recommend it though.” As he spoke, Oberan fetched the weapons Natalia had tossed away, handing one over to her, and slipping Carl’s baton through a loop in his belt.

He looked her up and down, hand cupping his chin, lips pursed. “Those boots suit you,” he decided, “but the rest looks like you could get lost in them. Ah well, it’ll do, I suppose. It’s the thought that counts.” It wasn’t like his own disguise fit that well either. For one, guard outfits never looked quite right on him. Additionally, Carl’s level of slender approached that of some of the prisoners. As a result, the clothes were a little too snug for Oberan, especially around the shoulders, thighs and rear. It inhibited his range of motion somewhat, but other than that he could endure it.

“We best get these clowns out of the way so no-one stumbles over them lying around.” He grabbed Carl by the ankles and began to drag him towards his former cell. “Fortunately, these five star lodgings just so happen to have some vacancies. Give me a hand, will you?”

Once the two unconscious guards had been relocated to their luxurious accommodations and the door to their cage was locked tight, Oberan clapped his hands together and sighed deep. “Right, so. Now we do have a couple options. Two, in fact. To go loud, or try to be sneaky about it. In my professional opinion, sneaky is best. When it fails, we can still go with plan B. B for ‘beat everyone up’.” He raised an eyebrow.

“To increase our odds of escaping unnoticed, even with these shitty uniforms, we have to show the guards outside exactly what they expect to see. Which is two guards, male and female--” he pointed at himself, then Nat as he spoke. “--Check. Escorting prisoners. Two is probably a good number, they usually come get us two at a time. And crucially, we’ll need to deliver those prisoners to the theatre, so no one will suspect anything is amiss. If we don’t, I’m sure they’ll send some people to come see why it’s taking so long for the fresh blood to arrive.”

A grin spread across his features, flashing teeth. “So we’d need some chumps to, well, condemn to a painful death.” He sounded quite cheery about the whole thing. “How about we both pick someone? I’ll nominate Mark, because he sucks." What did Mark suck? She did not want to know, even if she thought she did. Because once she did, she'd wish she didn't. "How about you? Want to see if you can find the gentleman friend who got you dragged into this place?”

word count: 1229

Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Arc 721, Vhalar 79
― Salvador Dalí

If there was anything about his sharkish grin that gave her pause, Natalia didn’t show it. Her movements were swift, graceful and efficient as she dispatched the two guards. Her offer was met with apparent disinterest, but that didn’t stop her from opening the cell door for Oberan, shrugging her shoulders lightly. “As you wish, but if you’d like to stay in the cage, have at it. Far be it for me to judge one's wants.”

Carl, the guard that had endured the young woman’s fist and knee in some very sensitive spots, fell victim of Oberan’s knuckles, and then was stripped, clothing quickly being donned by her companion, followed by a hefty recommendation for her to do the same with the female guard.

Quickly, she undressed the unconscious woman, having decided on the name ‘Cyclops’ in lieu of the guard’s actual name. The pants were far too large, but she made do with a few adjustments and knots in discreet places. The shirt had a similar story but was far easier to dart and tuck underneath the coat, making her look somewhat the part. Oberan was right; the boots were about the only thing that did fit, but it was what it was, and she would make do.

Taking the offered baton from him, she slid it into the loop on her belt, all while listening to his plan. Eyes darted over his form, noting the tightness his clothing posed. She could help with a bit of that, at least. They had a serious time issue and not a moment to waste, but it wouldn’t take but a moment.

Slipping her newly acquired jacket off, Natalia swiftly moved to Oberan and began to pull his jacket free of him, handing him hers. “We should have switched clothes to start, but no matter. Hopefully we won’t have to be in them for long.”

The smiles that were plentiful earlier vanished for the time being. The reason wouldn’t be apparent, but then again, they had bigger things to worry about. For good or ill, she had tied her fortunes to the mysterious, sorta tall, dark and ruggedly handsome stranger. There were worse games to play.

Pushing the freshly liberated jacket between her thighs for a moment to free up her hands, she moved behind him, grabbing the material between his shoulders and ripped it, pushing the tear down. “There. The coat will cover the tear, so no one is the wiser. It will give you more range of motion.” Retrieving her own coat, she quickly slipped it on and double-checked everything.

The final detail – the hat. Coiling up her long, dark tresses, she quickly managed to stuff said strands up into the ridiculous cap. The only reason to wear the abomination was to hide her features, and she needed all the help she could get in that category.

After stowing the guards in the cells, the pair had some decisions to make, as was quickly pointed out. Listening to the entirety of his thought process, she found one flaw in the grand design of their soon-to-be dramatic escape. “One thing – they are expecting me out there. Even if I find Mr. Grabby Hands, he is certainly not female. Nor is Mark for that matter. I think they would notice immediately the lack of appropriate parts, so to speak.” The costume of the prisoners left little to the imagination so it was relatively clear someone would notice the distinct differences.

“They are expecting two guards, male and female—” pointing at herself, then Oberan before continuing. “—Check. Escorting two prisoners, one of which is expected to be a devilishly-delightful female with an excellent right hook.”

Glancing at the prisoners, Natalia snapped her fingers. “Although…” she began, letting the sentence trail off slightly, golden eyes searching the cells. “Grab your prisoner. I’ll be right back.”

Tossing him the keys freed earlier, she grabbed the duplicate set off Cyclops’ belt. Quickly, she entered the stacks of cages, intently searching for the one she hoped would be there. It was a good bet that they would be, but one never knew.

Finally, the search paid off. A grin slipped free as she spotted a slim figure hovering near the front of her cage. The prisoner, a young woman nearly the same size as Natalia but featuring short, spikey blond hair, sneered as soon as she noted Natalia, quietly greeting the brunette by spitting at her.

Gasping theatrically, Natalia chuckled lightly and moved to unlock the cage. “Good to see you too, Hilda. We are going on a little trip, you and me. I expect you to be on your best behavior.” The remark earned a few more gobs of spit.

Opening the door wasn’t pleasant, but after a minor scuffle, Natalia managed to lock the woman’s arms behind her back, allowing them to move out of the cell and back down into the main portion of the room for introductions. “I’d like you to meet Hilda,” Natalia began, bucking her knee into the back of Hilda’s leg to keep her from fighting her too much. “A fine piece of work if I’ve ever seen one. I’m not sure what got her locked up in here, but I hadn’t seen her on the streets in a while, so it was reasonable to assume…”

Hilda, taking exception to something, struggled a bit more, leading Natalia to shake her, pulling the woman’s arms back further. “Hilda…is not a good person. Even by non-good person standards.”

She didn’t speak further on the topic, instead moving on to explain her idea as she pulled out hoods from the pockets of the coat she ‘borrowed’, tossing one to Oberon. “I found these when I stripped the guard. If we put them over their heads, we can give those out there what they are expecting to see. At least for a few moments. Gags will stifle any screams and such, giving us maybe a bit more”

Oh, and there was one other thing.

“You said theater before,” Natalia noted, looking at Oberan with an arched eyebrow. “What theater?” She had assumed, incorrectly it seemed, that the prisoners were being forced to fight, but all indications were that it was some other type of ‘show’, and she wanted to know what before she waded into it.

Her body double chose that moment to kick up a fuss, leading Natalia to kick out the woman’s foot from beneath her, shoving her to the stone floor, face first. “I said to behave, dear. You aren’t listening very well.”

Sighing, she glanced up at Oberan. “At the very least, she’s feisty so it will be believable to those out there that she’s me.”

Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1167

Oberan
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Natalia raised an interesting point. She called it a flaw in his plan, but Oberan wasn’t a hundred percent convinced that was an accurate description. While, yes, the guards had been sent to fetch her specifically, only the gamemaster would know that. Possibly. Everyone else they’d come across couldn’t care less. Even the crowd. Especially the crowd.

Though maybe the gamemaster would kick up a fuss about it, even if they fed them a plausible excuse, such as the anaesthetic not yet having worn off. That did not mean their deception would be discovered, but Oberan had to admit that tipping the scales as much in their favor as possible was more than sensible. The less social interaction they needed to partake in –just deliver the prisoners and walk out as quickly as possible—the better the odds of escaping unnoticed.

She went off in search of someone to take her place, someone who could easily be mistaken for her. Quite a task. Oberan didn’t know whether Natalia hoped to find a woman with similar body shape or attitude as herself, or both, but considering the extended stay in a cold, damp, dark and cramped cage as well as the lack of proper sustenance most prisoners endured (unless they were lucky –or unlucky, depending on your point of view—to be picked for the games soon after arrival) those criteria might be difficult to fulfill.

In the meantime, Oberan busied himself with getting Mark out of his cell. While he struggled and resisted, Mark had been caged too long to put up much of a fight. Oberan overpowered him with little issue, though he couldn’t do much about the incessant string of complaints streaming from his lips.

Not much but to put a sock in it, literally. One of Carl’s, stained with yellowish spots of sweat and salt, and reeking of moldy cheese. Mark didn’t like it one bit, coughing and gagging and making faces to get it out of his mouth, to no avail. Then he gave up, shoulders sagging and form slumping over in defeat.

Then Natalia returned with her replacement, defying all expectations. There was a lot of fight within this Hilda woman, snarling and cussing. Upon seeing Oberan she greeted him by launching a glob of spit right at his face, firing with the impressive range and accuracy of a highly trained llama. She must have practiced a lot. Still, her unhygienic projectile was easily blocked; Oberan dragged Mark in front of him to serve as a shield. It caught the unfortunate man right between the eyes, saliva running down his nose as one big blob. He sighed –it came out as a pathetic moan-- wiped the spit away with a finger, then flicked it onto the floor.

“A feisty one indeed,” Oberan said, taking note of Hilda’s struggles against Natalia’s hold. “Quite the find. She’ll do nicely as a stand-in for you.” He ran his gaze up and down Hilda’s fit form again, then shot Mark a pitying glance. “I feel bad you’ll have to take her on, doesn’t bode very well for you.”

Mark groaned something incomprehensible.

“No, honestly I do think you stand no chance at all. You’re boned, Mark.”

Letting his head hang, the unfortunate prisoner somehow succeeded in looking even more pathetic and miserable than before.

“Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble like that. But at least you might enjoy a quick death? A luxury to be hand in a place like this, surely.”

Whimpers against the gag. It seemed he didn’t agree.

Oberan shrugged. “Tell you what, if you don’t cause trouble, I’ll give you a fighting chance. Sound fair?”

A nod and a quiet mumble of agreement.

Then Natalia handed Oberan a rough-spun canvas hood, and he presented her with Carl’s second sock –it had a large hole where the big toe should go—in return. For Mark and Hilda the world grew somewhat darker and gained a smell of old potatoes, an improvement over the scent of the dungeons, really, and both escapees were ready to move out.

Well, after a question and Hilda attempting to break Natalia’s hold and escape, that is.

“Curious about the theater, huh?” Oberan let a smirk spread across his face, only the barest hint of flashing teeth. “I guess you’ve not seen it yet, then? It is… hm, difficult to describe. It changes according to the situation. But I can assure you of one thing: there’s nothing else like it, and people are put on the waiting list years in advance just to get hold of a ticket.”

He dragged Mark to the double doors, cracked his knuckles and neck. “Right-o. You ready? Put your game face on, this is critical moment number one.”

A deep breath in through the nose, then slowly released from the mouth. Oberan made an honest attempt to conjure a dour expression on his face and tame the glint of mischief in his eyes. It worked for approximately three seconds. Then the façade cracked like an egg, the usual amused and oh-I-am-totally-not-up-to-something-no-sir-not-at-all look returned.

Oberan either didn’t notice, didn’t care, or was satisfied with this half-assery, for he muttered an excited “Showtime!” and threw the doors wide open, and shoved Mark through none too gently.

The adjacent room they now found themselves in was simple and mostly bare, housing only a table with a couple stools scattered around it. There stood a peg in the far corner, some of the guards’ coats hanging from it. Attached to one of the walls was a single lantern illuminating every square feet. On another, an odd metal box had been bolted, a red disk in the middle.

In theory, no other objects should be present. Guarding the dungeon room was a serious task which required all of the guards’ attention. No distractions were allowed. And yet, a thin, foldable bed had been placed next to the peg. On the table lied a chaotic mess of playing cards, as well as several tankards and an empty keg of beer.

Four guards were present in the room, none of them wearing their overcoat or weapon belt. A clear sign none did take their job as serious as they were supposed to. In fact, only two guards were awake, sitting at the table engaged in joyful conversation, gesturing wide and laughing loud. Between them slumped a third, head face down in a puddle of still-foaming beer. When they breathed out, bubbles formed and grew, threatening to pop, but shrinking before they could. The last of the four was on the bed, snoring.

The conscious guards half-turned towards Natalia and Oberan and company as they entered, not ceasing their conversation. One gave them a furtive glance, then returned his full focus back to the topic they were discussing, shaking his head and proving mathematically that ogres had to secrete insane volumes of earwax to be able to create candles out of them on the regular. His partner insisted they could do it because they ate snails.

Mark and Oberan passed without issue, heading for the door on the other side of the chamber. It would bring them into the labyrinthine network of hallways and tunnels spiderwebbing out underneath the theater building. In the middle of it they’d find their destination; the theater itself, where the game master impatiently awaited the delivery of two fresh prisoners to entertain his audience with.

When Natalia and Hilda traversed the room however, Hilda bucked and flailed, hissing and gurgling through her gag. It earned her stern and violent disciplinary action by her escort, though it came just a moment too late. Hilda managed to kick one of the guards in the side before she could be brought back under control.

The guards jumped to their feet immediately, one annoyed, the other purple-faced and scowling, spitting curses that would have made his mother cut her own ears off from shame. Some were for Hilda, but most for Nat and her inability to keep a dumb animal properly in check. Oberan threw up his hands in a placating gesture, hoping to calm the heated emotions before things could get worse. “It’s one with a fire for a heart,” he said apologetically, despite his face refusing to convey the same emotion. “The game master wanted to spice things up a little.”

“Then you should’ve fuckin’ put her in irons before taking her out the fuckin’ cage, you incompetent pieces of horseshit!” He gestured at his shirt, which now sported a grimy footprint. “I’m fuckin’ hurt! She attacked me! I’ll be bruised tomorrow, and I’ll have to have this washed. You know what that’s going to cost me with the price of water being this fuckin’ high? Huh? Fuckin’ moron! Do I look like I’m made of money?”

“Yes, terribly sorry about that,” Oberan said, shuffling further to the door and beckoning Natalia with his eyes. “But perhaps you can get a doctor’s note calling it a work accident, and take the next couple days off?”

The guard snapped his open mouth shut, cocked his head and tapped his chin, anger momentarily forgotten. “Now here’s an idea…”

“Hey wait a second!” the other guard shouted, reaching for the baton that would have been on her hip, had she been wearing her weapon belt. Now however, the belt lied discarded in a corner and she grabbed only air. It didn’t stop her from pointing and yelling though. “It’s deception! These two aren’t guards! They’re wearing the uniform properly and according to all rules and regulations!”

The first one snapped out of his thoughts instantly, eyes and mouth wide and accusing. “Fuck! They’re criminals! Escaped from their cages!” He dodged a swipe from Natalia, kicked his stool at her and ran for the odd box at the side of the room.

Oberan sighed, stepped forward. “I think it’s best you two go take a nap as well,” he said. And then, commanding, glare hard and sharp as razors, “SLEEP!”

Both guards swooned, limbs as jelly, eyes rolling back and lids shutting. They hit the floor –one banged their head on the table first—and did not stir. They still breathed, however, slow and deep. Oberan glanced at the other two guards, but they remained fast asleep.

Another sigh.

He strode up to Hilda, grabbed her hooded head by the jaw, fingers digging in her cheeks. Little left of his earlier amused and relaxed attitude, replaced by a darkening storm cloud. “Listen up, little one. I don’t particularly mind a bit of extra challenge, but I do loathe those who’d spoil my fun. You are on thin ice. Thin ice. Allow me to repeat myself, so the message reaches you loud and clear. Don’t. Spoil. My. Fun. Behave yourself.” Strength seemed to leave Hilda in very much the same way as it had the guards, albeit to a far lesser extent, evidenced by her continued consciousness.

Oberan released her, almost throwing her face out of his hand, flicking it a couple times as if he’d just touched something disgusting. A moment later his previous self returned, the contrast so great his threatening tone and demeanor seemed by a distant dream.

“Well, enough dilly-dallying,” he said, heading for the door, smiling, “we’ve got an escape to attempt!”

word count: 1946

Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Arc 721, Vhalar 79
― Salvador Dalí

When she returned, she found her companion had retrieved Mark, who wasn't putting up any fight. At all. Well, rotten luck she had, but of course, Natalia had brought it upon herself by procuring Hilda as her personal body double. It was something like trying to wrangle a pit viper in all her pissed-off glory. Typically, it wouldn't have been a problem, but Natalia had fewer tools at her disposal than usual, and time was running short. Not the most optimal circumstances one could be in, but certainly not the worst either.

Hilda's rather gross attack on Oberan, deftly deflected by Mark's surprised face, was met with a bit of humor on the part of her companion. Natalia, however, was obviously getting a bit irritated at the woman's failure to fall in line.

Furrowing her eyebrows, the lithe young woman grabbed her stand-in by the throat, shaking her just a bit, voice calm and steady, but the edge was unmistakable. "Stop. Moving. Are you trying to make me look bad? I went to all the trouble to find you so I could show you off, and while I can appreciate the effort and showmanship, let's save it for the end, shall we? Your attitude didn't help you last time we saw each other; it won't help now."

Listening to the exchange between Oberan and Mark, Natalia nodded her agreement to the quite thorough assessment, glancing over at the pair. "Oh, absolutely. Completely screwed. Once I let Hilda free, it will be a bloody rampage. Now, me – there are lots of things I abhor the messiness of. Always an elegant solution to everything, I say. Hilda?"

Giving her prisoner another good shake, Natalia continued with her appraisal. "She thrives on all things messy, gory, immoral, and in all ways unfathomable. And while she would love to kill me, right here, right now, she'll settle for anyone she can get her hands on, won't you, Hilda? The bloodlust runs deep in this one."

Of course, Oberan threw the man a proverbial bone. Although Natalia was intrigued by how he would provide Mark with a fighting chance against a ruthless powerhouse like Hilda, the young woman said nothing. Busying herself with shoving the nasty sock in Hilda's mouth, which caused yet another little tussle, a dramatic sigh escaped Natalia's lips. "I'm beginning to regret my commitment to realism for this escape. I suppose that's the bane of all true artists, though. Oh well."

The sharkish grin he flashed her when she asked about the theater was mildly concerning, but there was no time to fret about things in the future. They had to get to the 'theater' first, which was looking to be a tall order. A challenging order, which Natalia welcomed, but she wasn't one for underestimating the size of the test.

"By your description, I'm not sure I want to see it, but I suppose we will take this one step at a time." Shaking her head gently, expression a curious mix of amusement, uncertainty, and bewilderment, Natalia watched her companion prepare for his debut as a guard.

To be fair, he managed to hang on to the gloomy look for four trills and maybe a few nano-trills beyond, and he was back to his usual, jovial self, causing Natalia to roll her eyes a bit. "Just, don't even try, darling. You are far too….you. I'm afraid it can't be contained." Giving him a wink, she watched as he shoved the doors open, causing Natalia to take a deep breath and push Hilda forward, silently wondering what the beneath she had gotten herself into and with whom.

Quickly assessing the scene before them, Natalia relaxed slightly as it appeared they wouldn't be fighting immediately. It seemed to be a guards' chamber of some sort, separating the prison block from the rest of….well, wherever they were. The cheering of the crowd could still be heard, a bit louder than before.

None of the four guards present seemed to be in the mood to actually guard, which was several points in the escapees' favor. Distractions gone wild, each guard was entertained by their own brand of vice, be it sloth, gluttony, greed, or indifference - there were several on display to choose from – and clearly not interested in the small group wishing to pass through the room unhindered.

Natalia heard the conversation between the guards but paid no attention, realizing quickly that Hilda was going to be a problem. There was only so much the young woman could do to keep her in line without inflicting serious injury, and frankly, she needed her spry and feisty enough to pass for Natalia herself.

Before Natalia could control Hilda again, the damn woman had gone and kicked a guard – a conscious one at that – drawing his ire. Cursing under her breath and a few choice words for Hilda, Natalia found herself being accosted by a most uncouth man. She had dealt with his type before, so she knew how, but before she could open her mouth, Oberan returned, handling the situation rather elegantly.

Catching his eyes, she knew he wanted her across the room and out the door before the guard changed his mind, and Natalia didn't have to think twice about acquiescing to his request to get a move on. A lingering look at Oberan made her note that he really needed to work on making his expressions match the tone of his voice, but she was delighted to wait, giving her something to bring up in the performance review at the end of the night.

Keeping her mouth shut, she shoved Hilda forward towards the exit. Too many cooks in the kitchen just mucked everything up, and Oberan had firm control of the room…until he didn't. And then did again. It was all very confusing. There was yelling and cursing. There was pointing, which really wasn't very polite. There were big words being thrown about, like deception and regulations.

Natalia cursed as one guard went for the box on the wall, which she surmised was some sort of alarm. Dragging Hilda with her, she started pursuit when she suddenly heard Oberan's voice behind her. In all fairness, it was the tone that got her attention. Despite the mischievous nature she knew to be all Oberan, that tone would have woken her from the dead.

Whipping her head around, the two guards, including the one she had been chasing, fell to the ground. A bit wide-eyed, she watched as Oberan walked over and grabbed Hilda by the face, issuing his ultimatum. A chill shot up Natalia's spine as she listened. Ice cold the delivery was, and even though Natalia had been threatened by the best – at least in her opinion – his little speech to Hilda was enough to make her rethink those ranks. Enough to make her do the unthinkable.

As he walked away, she collected Hilda from where he had tossed her and gave the woman one small act of kindness, despite her better judgment, in the form of a whisper. "I'd do what he says. That was not a look I would ever want to be leveled at me." Hilda was the worst of the worst, and while Natalia would not mourn her death, there were some things no one deserved, and at that moment, Natalia had believed him capable of anything. He was either a very good actor, or very dangerous.

There was something about the way he teetered back and forth between opposing personalities intrigued, and if she was being honest with herself, terrified Natalia. For ill or otherwise, she had tied her fortunes to Oberan, and she was committed to seeing things through with him.

He declared it was time to move on, and she couldn't disagree with that assessment. They had wasted far too much time already. Pushing Hilda forward, Natalia regarded him carefully. "You are very serious about your fun. I'll have to remember that about you after this is all said and done." Her tone was even, perhaps a bit lighthearted, but laced with just enough sincerity that it would be apparent she meant every word.

Gliding into the hallway, or more specifically, the labyrinth of hallways, the first thing that Natalia noticed was that the yelling and stomping were coming from directly above them. In fact, one could see and feel the vibrations in the ceiling. It was only a lull in the noise that allowed them to hear a pair of voices ahead of them in the corridor, in fact.

"We should get up there. The next pair should be coming along shortly."

"Oh, there's no rush. Always takes them a bit to navigate things around here. Especially that newer guard that went down with Linda. I'm sure she's having a bit of fun scaring him, and I wish she'd stop doing that. We won't have any guards left by the time she's done with everyone."

As luck would have it, the small group was far enough back to hear the conversation but not see the two speaking. All that could be discerned was that they were somewhere ahead of them.

A few trills later, the hallway split into three, and again, their luck held. Natalia poked her head quickly into each corridor and easily discerned that the hall to the left was the one to take. "This way," she said to her companion, pointing to the correct passageway. "I think we can assume they are going where we need to go, this lovely little theater you speak of."

The young woman could move quickly with her newly compliant prisoner, noting that the passageway seemed to be angling up.

Suddenly, the loud 'thud' of a door slamming shut echoed ahead, and for a moment, her pulse quickened, hoping they could somehow get through it. Turning the next corner, a closed-door appeared. Presumably, the one they had heard, but Natalia couldn't be sure of anything and didn't wish to make assumptions. "Hang on," she said, glancing at Oberan. "Let me check the room before we go in."

Opening it a crack, she carefully peered inside. It wasn't a large room, but the defining feature was the presence of the two guards on the far side, going through another door. They didn't look back into the room, but she could distinctly hear a voice laughing before the door closed. "Set the grid, Hank. That way, Linda will have something to torment the kid with on the way through. If she's not in the mood, she can always disarm it herself."

Natalia watched as a hand snaked back into the room, pushed a panel next to the door on the wall, and the room lit up with glowing white beams of light, crisscrossing at every turn.

The far door closed with a thud, prompting Natalia to fully open their door, allowing Oberan to see their next challenge, sighing softly. "That's….unfortunate. Beautiful, and a delightful feast for the eyes, but unfortunate."

Stepping into the room, she noted the matching panel near their door but had no idea what it was for, other than knowing the beams had started when the matching one was pushed from the other side.

Pacing the width of the room, gently biting her bottom lip, Natalia studied the grid carefully, making small movements with her feet as she followed the beams of light, wherever they were coming from. It took a beat or two, but soon enough, her eyes caught Oberan's.

"I can do this. Piece of cake. I've seen this type of thing before. A few flips, jumps, splits, slides, and seductive bend or two and I can get to the other side, but….and a big but here, I don't know how to make the beams go away so the rest of you can get through. Thoughts?" There were multiple paths available to them if they considered going backward. The pair were bound together for the moment, and his opinion seemed important to her because of that. As such, the young woman waited, curious to know his mind.

Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 2088

Oberan
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

While Oberan had returned to his usual cheerful self, there was little talking during the escapees’ stroll through the hallways. Not by lack of trying at making conversation though. Rather, the thunderous stomping and yowling of the crowd boomed more in the foreground ever since stepping outside the guards’ room, and its volume only increased with each step taken. It made for a convenient way to track their progress, as well as marking the correct path to the theater. Just follow the noise.

Still, every so often there was a break in the wall of sound, the halls and tunnels suddenly feeling too quiet. Hearing footsteps on tiled floor, haggard breaths puffing out from lips when ascending winding sets of stairs, or the whimpering of Mark whenever Oberan pushed him into picking up the pace rather than drag his feet to purposefully slow them down and prolong his own miserable existence for just a few more moments.

The quiet changed the feel of things too. Without needing to compensate anymore for the tremors rocking the whole building, walking felt awkward and clumsy, bodies not able to shift gears fast enough. No dust and pieces of rubble fell from the ceiling, no lanterns and torches clattered in their holders on the walls. The vibrations didn’t rattle Oberan’s bones either, and he found himself miss the jittery sensation quite profoundly. It ached and gnawed, begging for the tremors to start again. It was a strange thing to derive pleasure from, and he vehemently hoped he wasn’t the only one to feel it.

And, of course, without the audience’s roar to guide their way, an alternative method of navigation was required. Natalia proved to be in fortune’s good graces, as a guard patrol up ahead presented itself, their conversation carrying far enough to lead the escapees onward.

Less fortunately, though, the room they entered contained some form of security measures, blocking the path to the door with several dozen beams of concentrated light. A setback—or a welcome interruption of the dull and uneventful march up until now.

Oberan stepped into the room, Hilda and Mark in tow, cast an appraising look from the haphazard web of bright rays to the smooth and featureless boxes on both ends of the chamber. Natalia did just the same, pacing back and forth to study the interweaving beams of light from different angles, getting a good idea of where she could find some room to dance through.

"I can do this,” she determined. “Piece of cake.”

He’d have to agree, the crisscrossing beams were intimidating at first glance, but slipping past them wouldn’t be that difficult for someone with a flexible body and a bit of a knack for acrobatics. However…

“Big butt?” His eyes flicked to Natalia’s rear for half a second. Sure, it was full and round, and definitely nice –perhaps one could call it big—but it wasn’t so big as to pose a problem circumventing the grid. “I don’t think it’s that bad--”

“I don't know how to make the beams go away so the rest of you can get through.”

“Oh, that’s what you meant. I knew that.” He nodded, mostly to himself, brow creased and gesturing a finger as if tapping it on something invisible floating in the air. “I can deal with that, I think.”

Without further ado, he turned to the panel next to the door they’d entered from, and traced a series of symbols on its smooth surface in rapid succession. There was no hesitation. His every motion was confident, deliberate and purposeful, as if he’d operated these kinds of panels many, many times before.

As he finished and turned back around, however, the grid did not disengage. Its beams didn’t slowly fade out. In fact, for a few moments, nothing happened whatsoever, earning a frown and some surprised muttering from Oberan. Then the air filled with a hum and whirr, building in volume over the course of a couple seconds, and one by one additional beams of light sprung to life. Stopping only when there were double the amount there’d been before. All of a sudden the grid seemed a whole lot tighter, and many of the easily identified weak spots no longer existed.

“Oh no,” Oberan said, “I made it worse. They must have changed the passcode since I was here last. I guess we will have to find a different route.”

As if on cue, the door behind them slammed shut, and if Natalia turned to look at it fast enough, she’d catch a multicolored veil shimmer across the portal for just a moment. Then it vanished and didn’t reappear, like it’d never been there in the first place.

Oberan rushed over to try the handle, but it didn’t budge. Not even when he let his whole body dangle from it, curled up into a ball as to not touch the floor. He threw his weight into the door next, with equal amounts of success. It didn’t even rattle in its frame. He repeated the attempt a few more times, resulting only in a bruise on his shoulder. He rubbed it a couple times, but didn’t seem as perturbed as he perhaps should.

“Well, I guess out only way out is by crossing to the other side,” he said. “You think you can still do it? It’s a bit harder than it was earlier, but nothing a few flips, jumps, rolls, dives, splits, crab-walks and perhaps a few strangely seductive bends or three can’t overcome.” Oberan patted her encouragingly on the shoulder. “I’d do it myself, but I’m not good at those.” He seemed genuinely dejected about it. “I guess I’ll look after our doubles. Someone has to make sure they don’t walk into those beams. Because if they do…” A grimace.

From an inner pocket of his borrowed coat, Oberan pulled a strip of salted jerky and threw it right into the grid. Somehow it made it through two small triangular openings before being caught by one of the rays. It immediately turned to dust and dissipated mere moments later, the smell of char filling the air.

“You best be careful too, you wouldn’t be the first to attempt a crossing and end up dusted.” He pointed at a couple signs at the side of the room. Colorful things with yellow and black stripes, large exclamation points enclosed by triangles, and text written in thick, bold font. Most prominent of all were the ominous words “danger!” and “warning!”, but the sentences following those were important too.

It read: “Do no attempt to cross room while Disintegration Photon Beam Grid is active”. And, “Days without disintegrated guard personnel: - 3”.

Oberan gave Natalia a meaningful look. “You don’t have to do it if you believe you’ll be adding to those numbers. I’ll just try to input some more access codes, and we’ll see where we end up. Wouldn’t want you to end up as scorch mark on the floor. But, for what it’s worth, I’ll be severely disappointed if you let that stop you from trying.” The grin he gifted her was no less cheerful than any other he’d showed before, as if the lethality of the grid was but a trifle, and her possible death no real concern.

Still, when Natalia did tackle the grid, he cheered her on with surplus enthusiasm, let out ooh’s and aah’s at appropriate moments, and even sucked in his breath, holding it as seconds ticked away when she found herself in precarious positions, only one small misstep away from instant annihilation. And when she eventually reached the other side of the grid, he applauded, elated, and glowed with pride, laughing and praising her performance.

"Try the panel next to the door," he yelled, "Draw a spiral, a circle with a dot in the center, a squiggly diagonal line, three interlocking triangles, and finish up with a little crown and a little crescent moon side by side. Moon on the left, crown on the right!" His instructions did not match the sequence of symbols he'd traced himself on the panel on his side of the room. And yet, as the crowd began to roar and pound again, rocking the walls and floor, raining down dust from the ceiling, drowning out the buzz of the security grid, the beams of white light winked out all at once.

word count: 1439

Natalia Gregorios
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Arc 721, Vhalar 79
― Salvador Dalí

As the small party moved through the corridors, Natalia kept a close eye on her partner in all things mischief, or seemingly did. The inconstancy of the thunderous noises above bothered her, but she couldn't put her finger on just what the issue was.

Happening upon the grid room, she assured Oberan that she could get to the other side. It had been a very carefully worded statement, earnestly said because she could get to the other side, but before Natalia had the chance to continue, the man decided that a little gawking was in order.

Arching her eyebrow gently, a look of confusion passed over her features before being replaced by a grin. "Your ass is nice too. I mean, I'm happy to exchange compliments, and I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't already privately made that observation, but maybe it could wait until later?"

He had quickly determined that she hadn't been speaking about her own backside, though, and the conversation got back on track, but at least the observant pair had exchanged some brief pleasantries. Those were always nice.

As her companion worked the panel, Natalia watched, curious about the seemingly haphazard set of symbols, but said nothing. At least not until the alarm sounded, adding to their already dangerous situation.

Perhaps the young woman was fortune's good grace. Still, if she was, then Oberan was her chaotic opposite, pulling bedlam from every corner of the situation to counter whatever luck she possessed. Finding herself trapped with only one way out and rapidly vanishing options, Natalia knew things didn't look good. There was one card left to play, and no amount of luck would help her with it.

Fortune's good grace was all well and good, but there was a price to be paid for such exclusive favor, and she seemed to be the only one capable of paying it - or willing. The moment Natalia saw the grid tighten up, she was aware that she wouldn't be able to make it through without a scratch – it was impossible.

The gold flecks in her eyes shimmered against the light of the beams, narrowing in concentration as she tried to pick a path through, but knew the challenge would take a piece of her, at the very least.

Natalia's expression didn't change in light of that revelation. The mischievous disposition she carefully maintained remained, and while escape was preferable, inaction in the face of overwhelming odds was unfathomable to her. She would go into the breach with a smile on her face, and even if the task was somewhat impossible, the thrill of the challenge was intoxicating.

After a few more moments studying the grid, Natalia replied to him as she quickly took off her hat and began braiding her hair into a tight fishtail. "Easy." That was, of course, a big fat lie, but the others didn't need to know that. What good would the truth do them?

He patted her shoulder, telling her that he would be disappointed if she didn't try. Smirking, the young woman rolled her eyes, offering up a dry, flat delivery of her reply. "Oh no. How would I live with myself? I'm not sure I could bear the shame of disappointing you. It truly is the overriding purpose of my life to entertain you…"

Quickly taking off extraneous pieces of clothing that would hinder her, she set her hat on Mark's head, handed the baton to Oberan, and tied the laces of the boots together, wrapping them around Hilda's neck. "I expect these back on the other side, my darlings."

Quickly twisting and stretching, she appeared to be testing the limits of her appropriated clothing, making sure nothing would hinder her during a critical moment. Natalia was a conscientious and thorough professional by all appearances, making sure everything she could control was contained. The loose clothing would provide additional issues, but rolling up the sleeves and pantlegs helped make things as tight against her body as possible.

Before she could take position next to the grid, another alarm sounded. As she looked up at the panel, a countdown timer lit up. 4:00. Four bits. Something was going to happen after that length of time passed, and she wasn't sure she wanted to find out what.

Quickly, her mind worked, glancing at Oberan, offering up a grin. "Gotta turn the world into one's dancefloor. Three bits, thirty trills. Means only one thing…" Before he could inquire as to what that 'one thing' was, Natalia bent back, entering the grid with a graceful, careful back-walkover, body arching carefully over a crisscross set of beams.

"Some legends are told, some turn to dust or to gold…" she sang, loud and clear, feet finding the floor once again, cautiously planted behind a beam, landing light as a feather as her eyes came up to find his again, continuing with the verse. "But you will remember me, remember me for centuries…"

It was clear at the point that Natalia was using a song to help her navigate through the grid, dancing her way through the hurdle in their path, although the young woman didn't explain nor comment on the matter. Her focus was entirely on precision movements and adjustments, all while singing and dancing.

"And just one mistake, is all it will take…"

Turning slightly, she lowered down to the stone, sliding one leg beneath the arch of the beam, pushing her head through, followed by a controlled, slow crawl through, rolling her hips and ass under and clear of the obstacle, followed by a deep breath. Watching the young woman was akin to viewing poetry in motion, if one was keen on such things. There was beauty and grace to her movements – fluidity in which one motion connected to another exquisitely, but always with maximum control.

"And I can't stop 'til the whole world knows my name, 'cause I was only born inside my dreams.." A sharp pirouette and hop, followed swiftly by tight somersault, feet planting on either side of a low beam, spotting it right before she performed the maneuver.

Halfway through the grid – halfway through the song.

Slipping sideways a bit, she danced over a beam elegantly, realizing quickly a miscalculation, which caused a very last-minute correction on her part. Quickly performing a front walk-over, Natalia twisted to avoid a blind landing for her feet at the last minute.

Catching her breath quickly, heart racing, things were getting a bit trickier, but there was light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Maybe she could make it through after all. "We'll go down in history…remember me for centuries…" If she heard Oberan's enthusiastic support, Natalia gave no indication.

Laying on her back gently, she eased her lithe body under a low beam which, unfortunately, had another slightly above it, causing her a whole host of problems. Midway past the beam, Natalia split her legs quickly, using the energy of the maneuver to propel her hips up a bit, arching her legs up and rolling onto her hands. Disaster struck, just as she was pushing up and over the second beam, at the last moment, as her arm shifted the briefest amount, brushing it up against the bright ray.

The pain was indescribable, but to her credit, the young woman didn't cry out or scream, blood cascading down her arm. Holding the position, because to let go of it would mean crumpling fully into the beams and a certain unpleasant, disintegration-type death, she maintained the handstand and carefully let her feet down, biting her lip but unwilling to stop. Almost there.

"Some legends are told, some turn to dust or to gold…"

With thirty trills to spare, a quick leap, turn, and final somersault brought her against the far wall and panel. Oddly, as she stepped into the outlying area, the door opened on her side, revealing another hallway.

Turning, she flashed a pained smile at Oberan. "Spiral, a circle with a dot in the center, a squiggly diagonal line, three interlocking triangles, and a little crown and a small crescent moon side by side. Moon on the left, a crown on the right? Ummm…nooooo. I don't think so."

Slipping her hand inside her shirt, the bleeding young woman produced what looked to be a key card. "Lifted this from one of the guards. Pretty sure I know what it will do, considering there's a slot for it beneath the panels. I thought maybe I could move faster on my own."

Tapping the card against her chin gently dramatically, she appeared to consider what her next move would be. "I was going to leave you here. And then we had that nice moment of complimenting each other, and I thought better of it." With the briefest of looks, she slipped the card into the slot beneath the panel, five trills showing on the countdown timer, and pushed.

The grid flashed for a moment, and slowly, one by one, the beams vanished until the path was clear for the Oberan and the two doubles. "You'd better hurry before my apparent, and surprising, fondness of your ass diminishes."

Kneeling, Natalia grit her teeth a bit, taking a breather as they crossed the room, trying to contain the pain.

Last edited by Natalia Gregorios on Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1598

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Dreamscapes & The Veil”