[past lives] access and magic

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Hart
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[past lives] access and magic

Sorry if this has been asked before. I looked through the archived Q&As, and did a search of the wiki, but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

1. Are past lives available to all PCs, and do potential stories / references about past lives need to be PSF'd?

2a. If a person's past life had magic, is it possible for a PC to "initiate" into that magic through their past life; ie because the spark remained with the soul between lives?

2b. If 2a is possible, would that past life need to be written up as the mage mentor NPC?

Thanks!
word count: 106
Rakvald
Approved Character
Race: Immortal
Profession: Degenerate Elite
Renown: 570
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [past lives] access and magic

2a. Oracle answered this for me, as I had a Lotharro that was reborn. (he died from a initiation into hone, but somehow the spark stuck to him and reawakened when he had a memory thread.) viewtopic.php?f=451&t=15285#p106345

I'm not sure if its relevant to your question though.
word count: 54

Fleshbound Tome~
Arcane Apprentice
~
Commissions Welcome!
Hart
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [past lives] access and magic

Gosh I searched the forums, somehow did not find that. Will quote that here for future reference.
Rakvald wrote:"Alrighty, I think I asked this a while back in chat, but figured I should leave it here for posterity.

Very hypothetical situation follows: What would happen if a mage initiated a lotharro, who then died from the initiation, and then was reborn from the dead Lotharro. Would he be able to attain initiation with the spark having been in him, or is it failed? Or is that left up to my discretion? This applies to any magic really"
Oracle wrote:So I discussed this with the magic working group and I believe this could possibly work. It would only happen if the Initiation was technically successful but the strain of it killed the body of the Lotharro, forcing them to be reborn in a new body. The soul goes to the new form and takes the newly bonded Spark with it. I think this is fine since you are primarily using it for narrative purposes in order to enrich your RP experience. It also works since the bond with the Spark is so powerful and new that it manages to make the transition with the soul to the new body.

Hopefully that makes sense.
I think that does help. It seems, from Oracle's answer, that the spark can only transfer into the next life if the initiation is successful, but the initate dies. Otherwise, the bond with the spark is not strong enough to transfer between lives.

She was talking about Lothar specifically, but I feel like her answer could possibly be applied to other races. Thanks!
word count: 278
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”