[Saiore's Dream] A Fairly Failsafe Fairy Adventure? - Part 4

39th of Ashan 724

Your thread has been submitted for review! See your request here.

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Cadouri
Profession: Groundskeeper
Renown: 841
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Saiore's Dream] A Fairly Failsafe Fairy Adventure? - Part 4

Winston took another look at the damp, tattered remains of Cage's fairy map that had led them to this underground lake. Much of the ink had run after being soaked, rendering most of the map illegible. He furrowed his brow, trying to recall the key details from memory.
"Me pretty share et menchuned a song party... Tuh trigger whatever treasure es down 'ere?"
He explained to
Joe

The spirit cockced an eyebrow acusingly.
"You mean we're going to go blundering off half-cocked into who knows what just based on your addled recollection?"

"Yup, mar ar less!"
Replied the adventurous Cadouri chirpily.

The diri spirit rolled his eyes as he considered what he remembered himself of the riddles.
"I think you're right. There was a line about if our 'song party rules' then some prize would rise up."

"Grand!"
Winston exclaimed, pricking up his ears.
"Den me suppose we'd betta get singin'!"

He took a deep breath, preparing to bellow out a rousing tune. Joe winced, covering his non-existent ears.

"Winston, wait! Let's, uh, try to keep it subtle at first, yeah? Don't want to cause another cave-in."

The ferret looked a bit deflated but reluctantly nodded nonetheless.
"Yuh prabably right, mun. Let's start aff easy den, jost tuh get de 'magic' flowin'."

He began to hum a jaunty little tune, clicking his fingers in time. After a few bars, Joe cautiously joined in, harmonizing off-key in his ethereal voice. Mrs. Mistoffelees the duck looked on bemusedly.

For a while, nothing happened, until the ferret realised that two doth not a party make and with a little focus, he channeled his Song Forged gifted ability to sing with the voice of a harmonised ferret quartet.

"...wid a chirp and a spring, we all started tuh sing,
And wid a little bit af luck we might see the special ting!"

As their crime against music continued, Joe was happy they were the only people able to hear it, but Winston seemed delighted. As the music grew in volume, he detected a faint glow emanating from beneath the dark waters of the underground lake. He gestured for the others to be quiet, continuing some wordless humming.

The glow brightened, small pinpricks at first but growing stronger.
"Jost like en de verse!"
Winston stage-whispered excitedly.
"Me reckan de treasha most be under de wata!"

Joe looked apprehensive.
"Of course it is. Because why would anything be simple..."

Undeterred, Winston began removing his clothes down to his bare fur.
"Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I'm going to take a look."

He considered the the water-breathing enchantment on his gauntlet, licking his lips.
"No salt... Darn... De wata es nat salt wata soh my gauntlet es nat goin' tuh work."

"Oh well. Too bad. Home it is then."
Offered Joe rhetorically, knowing all too well that was not going to happen.

With a shrug, the ferret continued to venture in to take an experimental look under the water.
"Me gat tuh get down dere an' see what's makin' dat light! Dis is too brilliant tuh pass up!"

"Winston, wait!"
Joe cried in alarm.
"You can't just dive into that lake, it could be hundreds of feet deep! You'd drown for certain!"

"No me won't. I CAN swim yuh know."
He whined in a slightly hurt tone of voice.

"Look, you have no idea what's down there and you're swimming has thus far exclusively included the ability to brieth under water or nearly drowning with no ground inbetween."
Demanded the Diri desperately.

The ferret paused, ears drooping slightly as the truth of Joe's words struck him. As nimble and sure-footed as he was on land, he was only just an adiqute swimmer at best and not capable of deep diving.

"Well... drat,"
He muttered, frustration creasing his brow.
"Me suppose yuh right. Me simply most investigate doh! Per'aps me cun make sometin' wid a Wind well? Tuh make air onda de wata?"

For her part, Mrs Mistoffelees had been quietly observing the pair ever since waking from her nap. At Winston's dramatic show, she let out a series of loud quacking sounds.

"Eh? What's dat, me fine feaddad friend?"
Winston asked, turning to regard the massive duck.
"Yuh 'ungry?"
He asked, reaching into his pack for some bread.
"Yuh 'ave some ideas on 'ow me might explore de depths?"
He said, pointing at the lake.

More raucous quacking was the response, and Winston peered at Joe as if for translation. The spirit merely shrugged, as mystified as his companion as the duckess waddled over to the shore, splashing up to the ferret, settling in the shallows of the lake before him and waited expectantly.

"Joe, meh do believe our overly large friend 'ere es affering tuh ferry me about an dese waters! 'ow very clever an' gracious af yuh!"
He gave her soft downy feathers an affectionate pat as she gobbled several ferret-sized loaves of bread.

Undeterred, he hopped up onto her broad back and settled as best he could upon the... flying mount.

"Oh no, absolutely not,"
Joe protested, zooming over urgently.
"Winston, I simply cannot allow you to dive into that lake on the back of a duck, no matter how enormous. It's far too dangerous!"

But Mrs Mistoffelees, not to mention the ferret, paid the ethereal guardian no heed, waddling right into the shallows until the waters began lapping at Winston's ankles. The ferret held on tight as she ventured deeper, her bulk slowly becoming more buoyant as her weight was dispersed by the water and swayed from side to side.

"Don't worry Joe, Mre Mistoffelees knows wat she's doin'!"
Winston called back over the growing sloshing and splashing noises.
"Just tink, two intrepid adventurers aff tuh uncover de secrets af dis mysterious underwater glow! Aren't yuh de least bit curious?"

But if Joe had any further misgivings, they were drowned out as Mrs. Mistoffelees took the plunge, submerging entirely beneath the dark surface in one mighty push of her webbed feet.

Winston had only a moment to take one final gulp of air before he was underwater, clinging tightly to the duck's broad back as she began powerfully kicking and paddling downwards. The ferret opened his eyes under the water's surface, relieved to find that he'd managed to hold on. Remembering how Vega and Kisaik had directed their mounts with raigns, it wa all he could do to hold on while the duck took him where-ever it was it was going.

The bluish-green glow emanated from somewhere further below, and he could make out the vague outline of rock walls and structures as they descended into the flooded caverns. His ears began to ack as they descended and he focused on holding on as they shot towards an opening.

After what felt like far too long of steady kicking, Mrs Mistoffelees broke through into an air-pocket, some sort of domed underground ruin. Winston greedily gulped down deep lungfuls of air while the duck paddled over to a crumbling stone ledge and settled beside it.

As the ferret caught his breath, he could finally take in the full scope of their surroundings. They appeared to be in some sort of half-flooded complex, carvings and facades crafted in an elegant, flowing style quite unlike any architecture he'd seen before. The ethereal blue-green glow seemed to come from clustered patches of moss embedded in the rockface at various points.

"Cage's fairy maps really know 'ow tuh send a fellow an de journey af a lifetime,"
Winston murmured in wonder as he slid off the duck's back onto solid ground again.
"Wherever or whatever dis place once was, et must be ancient... an in serious need af a maintenance agreement."
He kicked a rock across the floor and it echoed out across the room as it rattled to a halt. short distance from a further opening.

He crept forward, mindful of broken tiles and columns from rooms and hallways now partially reclaimed by the water.

Joe zipped in through the underwater entrance, looking relieved to find them both unharmed in the air-filled chamber.
"Winston, are you alright?"
Called Joe as he appeared by his side.

"Never better, me friend!"
The ferret replied cheerily, his explorer's curiosity utterly piqued now.
"Look at dis place, mun! Dis place es... es... well me don't rightly know wat et es, bot et's incredible!"

He pointed out some of the carvings and crumbling statuary he could make out by the soft glow-light.
"We need a lital mar light dough. Me really shud add some kinda torch tuh dis ting."
He said has he regarded his gauntlet and reached into his pack to
retrieve his Glowstone

Holding it aloft, he channeled just a little energy into it, causing it to illuminate the chamber more clearly and revealing something ahead of them in the gloom beyond the fungal glow...
"Is dat a collapsed bookshelf?"
He queried aloud as he moved towards the pile of detritus. Excited his pressed forward, ducking under broken rafters and rotten things of a time long past.
"Yeah boo..."
He stoped mid sentence as the very predictable reality of the situation struck him and the 'books' he saw all turned out to be empty, rotten carcasses, their pages long since ruined by the damp.

"Oh well."
He said, with a resigned sigh.
"Let's see wat else dere es 'ere."

With that he began rummaging around in the remains of the room, digging up anything that looked interesting and discarding everything else. It was some time before he spotted it, but as he gradually investigated piles of dead books,
Joe sensed something
radiating magic.
"Hang on, there's something over here..."

Winston's ears pricked up and he scamperred over to the spirit.
"Wat es et..? Es et magical?"
He asked and the Diri floated over a patch of yet undisturbed rubbish.
"Yeah, something just under this lot."

With eager hands he began to remove layers of rotted books and dust. Taking his time and suppressing his urge to dig with gay abandon, lest he find something dangerous, the cover of a book slowly became visible.
It was small, some kind of journal, but it looked like it was nearly perfectly preserved with it's pages and bindings all in tact.
"OOOooooooohhhhh... A magic BOOK?!"
He beamed as he finished uncovering it and looking at it with an insatiable curiosity.

Continued here >>>
word count: 1782

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

Winston usually carries the following on his person:
  • Cassion's Locket hangs snugly around his neck.
  • Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Cadouri
Profession: Groundskeeper
Renown: 841
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Saiore's Dream] A Fairly Failsafe Fairy Adventure? - Part 4

Rewards Requested

Notes/Warnings: The book he finds i from this approved PSF.

Thread: [Saiore's Dream] A Fairly Failsafe Fairy Adventure? - Part 4
City/Area: Faldrass Island

Renown: None
Do you want this to be considered for Mark Progression? (Y / N) N
Wealth Points: None
Collaboration: No
Local Language Thread? No
word count: 117

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

Winston usually carries the following on his person:
  • Cassion's Locket hangs snugly around his neck.
  • Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.

Your thread has been submitted for review! See your request here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Faldrass Island”