• Solo • Observance of Knowledge

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Observance of Knowledge

Ymiden 10, Arc 722

“With that being said, the Viden Academy will host an event in honor of Padraig Augustin and his resurrection of Treid this season, as you probably know. I’m grateful to all of you that have already decided to participate. And if any of you have just come up with an idea for a mini-lecture now, I’d love to hear it and help you realize it”,
Doran told the teachers of the Institute of Sciences in a calm tone of voice and smiled very lightly. They had gathered for staff meeting that he had been leading this trial, to discuss their plans for the cycle as well as possible concerns.

He had to admit that he was glad to finally be back in Viden. He had enjoyed his adventures, and his trip behind the Barriers – and he appreciated the fact that the Council of Scalvoris had made him their Devout – but there was a part of him that longed and that would always long for the ice and snow of his aunt’s city, and for the Academy’s ancient halls. Viden wasn’t perfect – he doubted that any place in Idalos was – but it was his home.

With that thought in mind, he turned to look at the men and women around him and noticed that Orik Qy’Azour, a young man of mixed blood that he had taken courses with when he had still worked on his degree in chemistry, stroke his chin thoughtfully before he started to fidget slightly and blush, as if he wanted to say something, but wasn’t sure if he should. Orik was a brilliant chemist, but he had always been a little shy.

He met Orik’s gaze for a moment before he added in a firm and encouraging tone of voice, as talking to him in private rather than in front of a large group might make him, and possibly a few other members of staff, more inclined to share their ideas, “My office is always open, to any of you, of course. In fact, I’ll be there for the next two breaks to reflect on this meeting and work on some of my lesson plans”, he added and nodded to Orik before he packed his things (a notebook, a pen and a bottle of water as talking for an extended amount of time tended to make him thirsty) and rose to his feet.

“Thank you again for attending this meeting. I’ll see you again in a seven-trial”, he added and nodded at his colleagues. He didn’t leave the meeting room right away though, but waited until the last person was gone, in case someone had a question for him, before he made his way to his office. As he did so, he noticed that Orik was behind him and trying to catch up with him.

He slowed down, turned around and smiled at the younger man.
Notes
From the Viden calendar:

In honor of Padraig Augustin and his resurrection of Treid, the Viden Academy hosts the 'Observance of Knowledge - Commemorative Congress of Treid's Return.' Professors from every department at the Academy give free mini-lectures to the public on various topics, celebrating the sharing of knowledge. Astrophysics is of particular importance, being Padraig's specialty, as are historical accounts of the events that led up to and involved the Immortal's resurrection, including the resurrection itself, the sharding of Treid and the events of Tried's Tomb. While the Academy runs the event, these lectures/classes/demonstrations are offered throughout the fortress, often with local artisans and craftspeople joining in and giving demonstrations of their skills. Viden's streets are (tastefully) alive throughout these trials with music, food, and celebration.
word count: 630

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Re: Observance of Knowledge

“Shall we go?” Doran asked Orik and raised an eyebrow slightly. “I look forward to hearing what you have in mind”, he added in an encouraging tone of voice which caused the mortal to momentarily look surprised. Apparently, he had not expected Doran to realize why he wanted to talk to him. He returned the smile and nodded though.

They entered Doran’s office.

Once upon a time, before he had found forgiveness and hope, it had been nearly barren. There had been few decorations and personal items, few things that told a visitor what kind of man worked in it. That had changed though. Doran still wasn’t interested in potted plants or random knick-knacks – the latter just gathered dust which was something that he wasn’t particularly interested in – but there was a soft rug on the floor.

There were paintings, showing the Cold Mountains, Viden and Scalvoris, books and lamps that filled the room with a pleasant golden light when it was dark, among other things.

Doran gestured for Orik to sit down in one of the two comfortable armchairs in front of his desk that was made of dark wood before he took a seat himself and asked the younger man,Can I offer you anything to drink? I have water as well as a bit of juice”, he added – possible restrictions on alcohol consumption aside, he considered it unacceptable to drink alcohol while he worked – or offer his staff alcohol, for that matter.

“A bit of water would be great”, Orik admitted. Once Doran had poured him a glass, he took a sip before he leaned back and fidgeted a bit again, as if he wasn’t sure how to begin – or reluctant to do so. Finally, he took a deep breath though and told Doran, “So, as you know, I specialize in materials chemistry, and I would of course tell people about that. I don’t only want to talk about the theory though as that would probably just bore them.”

“We have local artisans and craftspeople giving demonstrations of their skills as part of the festival. I thought I’d bring my own materials, examples of the practical applications of materials chemistry, things that people can touch”, he said.

“If that’s something you think I could do, of course”, he added, worried that his idea was a bit out of the ordinary. He was not a craftsman after all, but someone who studied crafting materials, more or less.
word count: 417

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“That’s an excellent idea”, Doran replied in an honest tone of voice, secretly wondering why exactly Orik had been so shy and so reluctant to share his idea with him.

There was nothing wrong with it in his opinion.

“You could hold your mini-lecture in one of our classrooms, and we’ll set up a few tables with different materials on them. Perhaps, you’d also like to work together with a craftsman or craftswoman who has made something out of certain materials?” he continued, raised an eyebrow slightly and looked at Orik questioningly.

Orik took another sip from his glass before he nodded and replied, smiling very gently as he did so, “I’d like that. I think that’s a very good idea, in fact. You know”, he added. “Just a few seasons ago, our roles were reversed. I was a professor, and you were doing your Charter. Seeing you – a man who has invented a new branch of alchemy – in the classroom felt weird. I’m not sure why they didn’t let you teach chemistry earlier”, he admitted, shrugged his shoulders and drank more water.

“Because I didn’t have the required documents yet”, Doran replied in a dry tone of voice. There needs to be a way to verify someone’s skills and make sure that they are indeed capable”, he added and proceeded to shrug his shoulders very lightly.

He wasn’t criticizing the way that the Academy handled such matters though. On the contrary, he approved of it and supported it. Exams and qualifications were useful and necessary in his opinion – he didn’t know if things would work without them - and he didn’t think that people should have made an exception for him because of his accomplishments either.

Orik nodded before he wanted to know, “Will you hold a mini-lecture as well, if you don’t mind me asking, professor? Or should I say ‘Lord Doran’? I haven’t congratulated you on becoming part of the aristocracy yet. At least I don’t think so”, he said.

“’Professor’ is fine”, Doran replied and continued, “Thank you.”

Unlike a certain number of people, he had never craved fame or a higher status – he hadn’t needed it - but he felt honored, and he was grateful for what his Immortal aunt had given to him.

“As for holding a mini-lecture of my own, I’m thinking about it”, he admitted. “Provided that my duties at the Academy and in Scalvoris allow it, I might talk about astronomy. It’s a bit of a hobby of mine, and it seems appropriate, considering what we are celebrating”, he explained.

He could also have talked about the events at Treid’s Tomb – he had been there, after all – but he had absolutely no interest in doing so. The battle at Treid’s Tomb had been the darkest moment of his life, and his biggest regret; and besides, astrophysics was Padraig Augustin’s specialty. In his opinion, it would be a good idea to add his own touch to it.

“Did you know that the stars are not always the same?” he asked. “They looked different in Saoire’s domain and behind the barriers that surround our part of the world.”

Orik’s eyes widened when he heard that, and a moment later, he decided, “I’ll definitely attend your lecture – provided that it will happen, and I thank you for listening to my idea and supporting it”, he added and proceeded to smile slightly.

“I should probably start preparing now”, he said.

“Let me know if I can help”, Doran replied before he rose to his feet and proceeded to shake the younger man’s hand. Orik smiled at him and nodded, and before long, Doran was alone in his office, working on his lesson plans and waiting for his next visitors.
word count: 650

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Review Rewards
Name: Doran

Points Awarded: 10
Magic Experience: None
Knowledge:
Detection: Noticing that someone wants to say something
Etiquette: Letting your visitor sit down first
Etiquette: Offering your visitor something to drink
Leadership: Leading a staff meeting
Leadership: Encouraging your staff to share their ideas
Teaching: Exams are a way to verify someone’s skills
Renown: 5 for leading a meeting
Loot None.
Injuries/Overstepping: None.
Consequence: None
Wealth Points: None
Skill Review: All Skills used appropriate to level.

Notes: This was an excellent read and, for me at least, a really good look at Doran in what I considered his native environment. It's interesting to see how he is balancing life with both the roles he has to play between Viden and Scalvoris. You did an excellent job of taking a calendar event and making it your own story. I enjoy how Doran lead the meeting and was able to pick out individuals throughout who might need to talk with him more privately to express their ideas. The meeting between Orik and Doran was well paced and it was good to see Doran in a somewhat supportive and nurturing role to help spread knowledge.

I look forward to seeing more of Doran trying to balance his job and duties in Viden with his job and duties in Scalvoris.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 239

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”