• Mature • [Memory] Garaian Lunacy: Vitiation

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Southern continent.
Diana
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Thing of Rumour
Renown: 40
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Memory] Garaian Lunacy: Vitiation

24th of Cylus 479

The belongings of the butchered women were collected in piles for my sisters and me to peruse. There, we were to find something suitable among the bloodied, dirty garments, and articles of jewelry. What was left of the village women was… scattered and charred around the campfires. I never took part in the favored cuisine of my sisters. So I told myself. Often enough a cruel sister would tell me that they’d sneaked bits of skin or meat into my bread, just to get under my skin. And it did that. So I often went hungry at night when I sensed suspicious behavior on their part. At least, I never noticed any meat in my bread, but I digress.

Now one might wonder why we searched through the clothing of these women that we’d killed only a few nights before. Well, after sending their men back to the Pit of Garaia, we weren’t done with our work, so my sisters told me. The remains of our previous night's quarry would be left behind. And we would march on, fewer in number, until two by two, we infiltrated the next village, and the next, until our sisters weren’t enough in number to reliably dispatch the defenders of these settlements.

At that point, we would leave with the last of our catch, my sisters with their bellies full from their granaries and the blood of human-kind lingering on my nose. But we were far from the apex of our incursion. There were said to be several other hunting parties, slightly north or slightly south of us, as we made a way across the Continent. My sisters were nothing if not a model of shadowy efficiency in their collection of human flesh.

So again, why steal the tattered rags of my sisters’ victims? Of our victims?

I stood by my sister as she rifled through the discarded belongings. She was the one with the lavender eyes who’d shoved my first murder victim into my tent. We were to partner up for this endeavor.

She threw a clump of dirty clothing at me, a simple dress that seemed as if it’d fit. ”Get this on, and do something with your nest.” She said, tossing her own perfect hair over her shoulder as she craned her neck to give me a good look.

She tsked at what she saw. A woman too thin to be a warrior, yet bearing the trappings of one with a short, bronze blade at her side. My hair must’ve looked a fright for the fitful, sleepless night and the brawl I’d had with my first kill. I hadn’t taken care of my hair through all of that.

When I began to step away, to make for the tent to change, she shook her head and gestured me to approach. ”Nevermind that. You’ll want to look as horrible as possible. At least one of us has to look the part of a helpless and lost refugee.” She smirked cruelly at me then, and held out her hand.

I hesitated, of course, until her hand shot out to grasp mine, and with it in hand, began to draw a wound across the hand. I yelped and nearly bit my tongue off as the pain shot through my arm suddenly.

”Spread some of that blood over your face, your neck, your body. It’ll make our ruse more convincing. She commanded me, and so I went to the tent, whimpering the entire way.

I slipped inside the tent, and promptly went about undressing from my large robes, into the clothing that had been given to me. It was a closer fit than I was used to. The chemise went over easily enough, but the parts I was less knowledgeable about, the overdress, and the corset, they made for a closer fit. Of course, they were tattered and in poor quality, with strips of fabric and leather torn from them where the woman it belonged to had been wounded, or killed.

Even so, as I put it on, I smeared my still-flowing blood over the face as I’d been commanded. Bloodying my face, my neck, my hands, and arms. In no time at all, I was looking a terrible mess.

Just in time for my lavender-eyed sister to arrive through the tent. ”I’m Vanaia, by the way. We’re sisters from this village.” It took a moment for my eyes to adjust, but when they did I saw she was wearing similar clothing to me, the same sort of peasant style dress and wooden jewelry. However, she couldn’t disguise her obvious and unmarred beauty, however much mud she smeared over it. The illusion that covered the naer was powerfully alluring.

She smirked at me as I looked in wonder at her, probably noting my stare as a sign of admiration. ”Come sister, let us go ahead of our kin to see what shelter we might find in the next village…”

word count: 847
Diana
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Thing of Rumour
Renown: 40
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: [Memory] Garaian Lunacy: Vitiation

So that was just what we did. We presented ourselves as refugees from the recently burned down and brutalized village we’d torn through just nights before. I was shown by Vanaia how to conceal the blade I was to take to the necks of our hosts when they fell asleep at night. It was a simple matter for her being a creature raised to be a butcher of the so-called ‘lesser animals’ of humanity. This is how they were seen among my cousins and sisters. They were the prey that treads upon the lands above Augiery and the sunken ruins of Garaia. It was even thought of like a mercy to let them tread upon those lands, to settle them and abide for a while until a raiding party came calling.

The particular village we were to infiltrate had been resistant to the idea of tribute. Unwilling to part with their fresh sons and daughters for the slavers of Augiery, they had signed the death warrant of their entire village. They knew what to expect. And we were the tax collectors, come to claim what was owed for the privilege of settling upon the shadowy lands of the southern continent.

And so, the village burned. There was little skill, or overpowering force brought to bear. We merely got up in the middle of the night and slit the throats of all our hosts, one by one. We let them bleed into the dirt floor of their huts and hovels. Before a few breaks were done, and the first of the signal fires were lit, burning down the huts that would become their tombs, the rest of the raiding party came to collect what they could of salvage from the village.

Gold, gems, copper, silver, foodstuffs and wine… all of these valuables were confiscated for the treasuries of our Vice Queens. I stood at the outskirts of the village as we were set to leave, looking back at the carnage we’d wrought, dead bodies hanging from the meathooks that had been meant for pigs and chickens. Eviscerated and harvested for the sustenance of the raiding group.

My blade dripped with blood from those whose sleeping bodies I’d stabbed, sliced, and gutted. Hand in hand with Vanaia, she showed me ways of moving in the dark in order to evade their detection. Yet even then, at times when I stumbled, she had to move in to finish the job. I woke more than a few in my clumsy gait as I made my way from hut to hut, bed to bed, sparing none from the slaughter. I was more than just one of the raiding party I was a fellow murderess, a butcher of defenseless families. The red ichor seeped into the cold earth, as the sisters absconded with what flesh and valuables they could. There were no prisoners or slaves taken that night. In all of a few breaks, with treachery, the village had been wiped from all memory. Another secret crime of our sinister kin.

I turned around after a force of will overcame me finally, feeling the heat of the burning village at my back as I walked, making after my sister Vanaia. She scrutinized me as we made our way, backtracking from the desecrated village. We were to make for the Maw of Garaia, the entrance to the caverns where my cousins abided.

Vanaia fixed me with a skeptical glare, ”You look troubled cousin.” She said, no longer referring to me as sister. That was just as well as I felt it. ”Do not worry, these vermin cannot follow or deliver reprisal. They are beyond all help or vengeance. We’ve gutted them, pulled them up by the root, and burned them into ashes.”

I nodded but said nothing lest I lose my composure. I was all too aware that my reaction and manner were being watched. I had only to maintain my silence. In silence, I needn’t lie about my feelings about what had occurred, and thus be found out as soft, and ripe for Purgatory in the torture chambers of Augiery.

Vanaia didn’t let it go, however, without getting a word out of me. She insisted on trying to get me to speak, ”Tell me cousin, how it felt to tear through the skin of their neck, feeling the bronze blade parting that soft hide and into the blood vessel beneath, as they slept?”

I walked in silence for a time, trying to gather my wits. Eventually, I did answer, ”It felt like… like…” But words failed me. Thus was my sentence and judgment sealed. I barely remember the rest of the march back to Augiery, but I do remember the horror that awaited there.

word count: 795
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Profession: Animal Trainer
Renown: 170
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Memory] Garaian Lunacy: Vitiation

Review Rewards
Diana:

Points Awarded: 10
Magic Applicable: No

Knowledges:
  • Stealth: Sleeping targets make for easier killing, but don't make too much noise.
  • Stealth: Having a more experienced sneak with you can shore up your own deficiencies, or else correct 'mistakes'.
  • Deception: Pretending to be sisters.
  • Deception: Pretending to be a refugee from the village you yourself had a hand in burning.
  • Deception: Infiltrating a village, using the host's hospitality against them.
  • Discipline: Enduring the horror that is a Naerrik Raid, even if on the side of the raiders.
Skillplay:
{} - Delightful!

Notes: Whoa. Just, this thread was... horrifying in a good way. There was just enough detail not to be barren but just little enough to not be outright gore, which I appreciate as it takes skill. I haven't seen many first person perspective, so my judging quality might not be up to snuff. There's not really much I can say for this thread- I have no criticism or nitpicks that stand out to me. That said, enjoy your rewards and do let me know if anything is off or you have any concerns.
word count: 188
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Southern Swamps”