• Solo • A Guest Lecture

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1192
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

A Guest Lecture

Ashan 102, Arc 720

No matter where in Idalos you were, the Mortalborn decided as he walked through the door and took a look around, classrooms had a tendency to resemble each other. Scalvoris Town where he would be holding a couple of guest lectures was as different from Viden as a city could possibly be, but the room that he was in now could have been located in the Academy of Viden, nevertheless. Only the students were slightly different. There were fewer Eidisi and Ellune, and more humans, and the students here didn’t seem to be as disciplined as the ones that he usually taught. They looked at him, their eyes wide with curiosity.

He paid them no heed for the time being, but walked up to the desk that was located in front of the large blackboard and deposited the bag that he carried there before he took off his elegant dark wool coat and draped it across the back of what was apparently his chair. Having done that, he finally turned to face the young people that were gathered in the classroom that trial and that were still staring at him – and whispering on top of it.

He briefly wondered what they were thinking and what they were talking about at the moment. Did they know what he had done approximately four arcs prior, on the frozen plains of Oscillus? Were they aware of what had quickly become one of his biggest regrets? No, that couldn’t be. Few people had seen him back then. Maybe they were aware of the fact that he was not only an alchemist, but also a competent mage and quite possibly the most skilled swordsman in this part of the world though? Were they commenting on the fact that he didn’t look like the rest of the professors that taught at this institution?

He had never been a bookish academic that avoided physical activity; even after he had become a professor, he’d kept in excellent shape.

In the end, he decided that it didn’t matter what they thought of him and what they knew or didn’t know about him, as long as they paid attention to what he was going to teach them and kept an open mind. With that thought in mind, he finally raised his voice and began to speak in a loud, clear and firm tone so that even the students at the very back of the room would have no problem understanding him, “Good trial, ladies and gentlemen. My name is, as you probably already know, Doran Thetys. The Chancellor has asked me to hold a series of guest lectures at your university. I specialize in Blood Magic – I am in fact working on a thesis and developing a new field of Blood Magic right now. This is what I will be talking about to you during the next couple of trials, among other things.”

Having said that, he paused for a few moments so that they could think about what they had just heard.

“Now then”, he continued and let his gaze drift across the young people that were gathered in front of him once more. “Does anybody here know what Blood Magic is? Has anybody of you already had something to do with Blood Magic before – or perhaps even handled an item that was made with Blood Magic?” he wanted to know. There would be no point in teaching them something that they already knew, after all.
Last edited by Doran on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 587

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1192
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: A Guest Lecture

A woman with blonde hair and green eyes, in her early twenties and of mixed Human and Biqaj descent judging by her slightly pointed ears, that sat in the second row raised a hand. “Blood Magic involves replicating the effects of domain magic as well as blessing abilities by using the blood of mages or blessed individual as a reagent, either for a potion or an item”, she replied, smiling slightly and somewhat excitedly, once the Mortalborn had given her permission to speak. “It is considered one of the most complex branches of alchemy”, she continued before she finally fell silent again.

The Mortalborn looked at her for a moment before he inclined his head. “That is correct. Blood Magic is one of the most complex branches of alchemy, if not the most complex – but at the same time it is the branch of alchemy that has the most potential and that often produces the most powerful items. This here”, he spoke, removed one of the rings that he was wearing from his hand and held it up so that they could see it. “Is a ring that I imbued with Quilt, an Empathy ability, for example.”

“Quilt guards the mind against intrusion”,
he explained. “Which is a rather useful ability to have if you are involved in politics, for example”, he continued. He was speaking from experience. Before he had become a professor, he had served as the ambassador of Etzos in Rynmere.

Being an ambassador had been … interesting. Of course, he would never be able to return to Rynmere now. The cycle before, Llyr had initiated him into Transmutation. A few arcs earlier, the boy king had ordered all the mages in the kingdom to be burned at the stake. He didn’t regret becoming a mage though, and he never would, but appreciated it, almost beyond measure. Magic had opened his eyes and made him see the world for the first time – really see it. The sacrifice that he had made was more than worth it.

This was not the right place to think about his previous occupations, his old home, his lover or the gift that he had given to him though; he had a class to teach, and such things needed to be taken seriously.

“As your classmate said”, he spoke and nodded at the young mixed-blood who blushed a little – apparently, he realized, the people of Scalvoris were not immune to the Allure, one of the more interesting consequences of his being a Blessed of Syroa either. “The blood of mages or blessed individuals is used as a reagent, for either a potion or an item. Simply taking a mage’s blood and pouring it into a cauldron is not enough though”, he pointed out. “The blood needs to be collected while the mage is casting a spell – which means that you have to make certain arrangements with said mage beforehand and actually talk about the spell that you want.”

He briefly considered telling them to not attempt to sneak up on a random mage that that just happened to use a bit of magic, stick a needle into them and collect their blood against their will, but they were not stupid enough to do something that was dangerous, morally questionable and illegal, were they? Besides, from what he had seen so far, the people of Scalvoris were rather liberal and open-minded in regard to magic.

With that thought in mind, he continued,

“Furthermore, it is not advised to take blood from the same mage more than two or three times. Taking too much of their blood might anger the spark.“ Before he had become a mage, he had not cared about the spark’s reaction particularly. Being initiated had changed his mind though. A lot of things had changed since he had become a mage himself – although he still considered most mages to be dangerous fools. They rushed into initiation and barely knew what the spark was or what ether was.

He had only met two mages who were different recently; one of them had been his mentor.

~~~

As the lecture continued, the Mortalborn proceeded to explain some of the finer points of Blood Magic, having covered the basics. His new students turned out to be fairly intelligent and attentive, for the most part, and a pleasure to teach, and thus they were done a few bits earlier than planned which was why he removed a metal box from the bag that he had brought with him and placed it on his desk. He had mostly come to Scalvoris in order to talk about the branch of alchemy that he specialized in, but he also wanted to showcase a few of his recent inventions and share them with the inhabitants of the island.

He planned on demonstrating one of them now.

Continued in this thread.

word count: 814

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Oberan
Approved Character
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: A Guest Lecture

Review Rewards

Professor Thetys

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:

Alchemy x3
Teaching x3

Magic: No magic exp

Other: +5 fame for being Doran Thesys, guest professor

Notes:
I think this is the first thread I've read where Doran is actually teaching a class. He's quite in his element, I'd say. Authoritative, captivating, and teaching rather interesting material. I'm invested in this now, doubly so due to the --admittedly regrettable-- shortness of this thread. Never fear though, I'll eagerly await the appearance of the sequel in the review queue! I'll get my fix, one way or the other.

So I've noticed the sequel was already reviewed... so I read it immediately! Ahahahaha!

Your review request is here.
Please include the following stamp to your review request:

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image/15001/medium[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 159
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”