• Solo • The Swordswoman and the Thief, Part 3

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Swordswoman and the Thief, Part 3

Part 1
Part 2

Ashan 30, Arc 720

On the 30th of Ashan, Devin Thorn, thief, conman extraordinaire and recently initiated Becomer was pacing back and forth in his living room – or rather hobbling back and forth. He held a fancy black and golden cane with a handle that looked like a crow’s head in his left hand. Using it made walking marginally less unpleasant. It had been two trials since Adeline had cut one of his toes off, and his foot still hurt – and would probably do so for another little while. Unfortunately, amputated fingers and toes took some time to heal.

“Becoming is useless without totems”, he muttered and moved towards the window in order to briefly look at the apple tree in the garden before he abruptly turned around and walked towards the door again. “Where will I get a totem though? I can’t just go around murdering people. They’d lock me up in Slag’s Deep, and although that junior warden was rather good in bed, I don’t want to spend the rest of my life there!”

“Maybe I could join the Order of the Adunih, offer my services as a surgeon and keep the limbs I amputate rather than burning them”,
he mused and looked at his roommates Aidan and Talieson that sat on the sofa, next to Adeline. The blonde mage and swordswoman had decided to just move in for the duration of her stay in Scalvoris – without asking him. She looked as if she was already feeling at home, he observed, and she had a rather smug look on her face.

“It might be a while before someone whose injury is severe enough to warrant an amputation shows up though”, he realized and shook his head before he looked at Adeline again. “Aren’t you supposed to be my mentor?” he complained. “Say something! Help me! How will I get my first totem? I want to learn to shapeshift – right now!”

Adeline grinned as if his frustration amused her, and then she remarked somewhat cryptically, “You don’t necessarily need a bone. A tooth will do.”

“This isn’t helping”,
he retorted and made a face. A moment later, he stopped dead in his tracks, and his eyes lit up. “Actually, this is helping! Lots of people on this island have problems with their teeth. I’ll just offer tooth extractions – for free!” he decided. Normally, Devin didn’t do anything for free, being a greedy follower of Delroth, but this time he would hopefully get a nice totem out of it which would be even better than a bunch of nels.

With that thought in mind, he raised his cane and abruptly pointed it at Aidan who looked at him in confusion. “You’ll play the part of my assistant”, he told him in no uncertain terms. “Every dentist has an assistant. The rest of you will move the furniture out of my second bedroom and put a dentist’s chair into it!” he decided.

Adeline opened her mouth as if she wanted to complain, but then she closed it again and nodded. If she refused to help him, Devin might try and practice magic without her guidance, and then he would inevitably overstep and mutate horribly. Whatever he thought, he was definitely not ready to practice magic alone – and unlike her teacher, she wouldn’t lose an initiate!

Besides, she needed him if she ever wanted to exact revenge on the people that had taken their treasure!
word count: 590

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Swordswoman and the Thief, Part 3

Devin had hoped that a couple of good-looking people would show up in his makeshift dental clinic. Being a vain follower of Delroth, he had absolutely no interest in turning into an ugly person. A part of him had hoped that an Avriel would ask for a tooth extraction because he was still so incredibly envious of Kalortah’s wings and wanted to grow a pair of his own. That had been one of the reasons for his asking Adeline to initiate him.

He wanted wings!

The first person that entered his former second bedroom was definitely not an Avriel though – and not good-looking either. It was a middle-aged woman with curly brown hair that was slightly overweight and wore an absolutely unfashionable dress with embroidered flowers. He didn’t want to become a woman – despite his occasionally slightly feminine appearance he was a man through and through, thank you very much – and he didn’t want to become ugly either!

“My left lower wisdom tooth hurts pretty badly”, the woman told him, completely unaware of Devin’s thoughts and turned so that he could see that the right side of her face was already slightly swollen. A moment later, she opened her mouth and Devin shuddered. He might have conned himself into becoming a doctor, but he would definitely never work as a dentist again once he had his collection of young and handsome (and winged!) totems.

He considered dentistry to be one of the most disgusting branches of medicine!

With that thought in mind, he number her mouth, grabbed his dental forceps and went to work, pulling the tooth out with a lot of force and little consideration for his patient’s feelings because he was so absolutely frustrated – and because his experience as a dentist left a bit to be desired. Once he had cleaned and disinfected the hole where the tooth used to be, stuffed something into the woman’s mouth in order to stop the bleeding and handed the woman a painkiller, he sent her on her way before he turned to Aidan who had assisted him.

“Do you think I can put up a sign that I only accept male patients that meet a certain beauty standard?” he asked his roommate hopefully. Aidan didn’t say anything. He only laughed. Devin glowered at him because he had no idea what was so funny about what he had said.
word count: 407

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

After ten people had walked into his makeshift dental clinic, and not a single one had been sufficiently good-looking and/or an Avriel, Devin had pretty much given up hope. He was just about to put up a sign in order to inform any potential patients that his “business” was closed until further notice when the most gorgeous man walked in. He had blonde hair, beautiful dark eyes and smooth, alabaster skin, he was dressed after the newest fashion – and what more, he had the most magnificent, midnight black wings!

He was … a Halfriel or whatever the correct term for someone that was half Human and half Avriel was!

Devin practically rushed towards him and shook his hand eagerly and excitedly, and perhaps a bit too firmly, smiling all over his face as he did so – until the absolutely gorgeous winged man opened his mouth. The Mortalborn immediately recoiled, a look of utter revulsion on his face. The man’s teeth were completely rotten. He was okay with some dental problems – people that didn’t have them didn’t need tooth extractions after all.

He wanted wings, almost desperately, but this here … this here was simply too much. The man’s teeth were brown and yellow and crooked and broken in places, and what more, he had terrible halitosis. He couldn’t imagine walking around with a mouth like that.

He’d constantly be disgusted by himself!

He abruptly pulled a handkerchief out of a pocket of his jacket. Holding it in front of his mouth and retching a little, he told the man who looked at him expectantly in no uncertain terms,

“I don’t think that I can help you. You don’t need a dentist, you need a dental surgeon. Actually, you need a whole army of dental surgeons to fix the mess in your mouth. Don’t you ever brush your teeth?” he asked accusingly. Before the man could say anything, Devin had already shoved him out of the door. Having done that, he sat down on the dentist’s chair, shook his head, sighed and buried his face in his hands.

He had been so excited about becoming a Becomer! Being able to shapeshift would make his cons so much easier, and it would make it so much harder for the guards to trace his crimes back to him; apart from his nearly insatiable desire to grow a pair of wings!

It seemed as if Chrien, the Immortal of Luck, really hated him though!
word count: 420

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“Devin, I think there’s another one!” Aidan informed Devin just as the Mortalborn was about to put his various tools away because he had just had enough. “He … I think he might do”, the student decided a little hesitantly. Aidan wasn’t sure about Devin’s newest passion; and the thought of Devin wearing a different body made him feel a little weird; but on the other hand, he quite enjoyed seeing the Mortalborn so enthusiastic!

Devin tentatively took a look at the man that stood in the hallway, and then he began to smile. While he was unfortunately not an Avriel, he did have a nice face. He had slightly wavy, light brown hair, clear skin – and the most wonderful color-changing eyes and pointed ears. He was a Biqaj. Devin had always been slightly envious of the eyes that Biqaj had.

Becoming a Biqaj would be fun as well!

Maybe he’d finally find out how exactly their eyes worked if he turned into one!

When the man smiled, Devin could see that he had nice teeth on top of all the other traits that he found desirable – which actually made him wonder why he had decided to visit him.

He didn’t look as if he needed a dentist!

As if on cue, the man who was somewhere in his twenties, remarked, “I visited my mother to-trial, and she asked me to try one of the pastries that she made. There was something incredibly hard in it, and a moment later one of my teeth … well, you’d best take a look at it yourself, doctor. It’s in my upper jaw, one of the last teeth on the left”, he said, lay down on the dentist’s chair and opened his mouth wide.

Devin immediately came closer and bent over him to examine him, quickly yanking out a strand of hair as he did so as he needed hair as well in order to make a totem. When the man flinched, he murmured, “Sorry!”, as if he hadn’t done it on purpose, before he went to work. A few moments later, he put the bowl that the man had spit his blood into away, put a tooth that was covered with blood into a small box and sent his patient on his way, grinning all over his face as he did so because he was just absolutely excited.

He finally had everything that he needed to make his first totem!

He already had a couple of ideas on what he’d do with it, and he couldn’t wait to start!
word count: 438

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Yrmellyn Cole
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Attuned to the Art
Renown: 106
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Thread Rewards

Overview

Acting as a dentist to gather teeth to make becoming totems of Devin feels disappointed in the appearance (and gender) of his intended victims and considers to only treat beautiful men?!

But, finally, he was able to “harvest”... without killing!

This is crazy fun! Can’t wait to see what will happen next! I wonder who that biqaj is what it will entail being his doppelganger?!

Devin

Rewards and consequences

Knowledge:

Surgery x5
Discipline x1

Renown: 10, for offering free tooth extractions.

Loot: The ingredients for Devin's first totem!

Consequences: Known as "the dentist who works for free" ...

Skill Review: Appropriate

Please use the image code below to stamp your request !

Code: Select all

[align=center][img]/gallery/image/15360/medium[/img][/align]
word count: 129
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”