Graded The Order of Attack

After arriving to Almund on a field trip, Yeva learns of a unorthodox medical facility, Durkharn's, and tries to locate the establishment.

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Order of Attack

61 Ashan 720

Caelin, as infuriating and as flirty as he was, had been an invaluable resource the trial before with the University, offering his ship and expertise in seafaring to capture the elusive muter fish. Yeva had certainly never seen one before and so she had overlooked her mortifying experience of indecent exposure and took keen notes during the lecture. It wasn't until after, when everyone was heading back to the local inn, The Buckle & Chain, that he had decided to continue his tormenting, "Sunspot," he cooed, half whispered as he sidled up beside her. In Almund, surrounded by buildings made of reclaimed ships and the sound of dock bells in the background, she realized just how much of a pirate he resembled. Somehow the fading sun cast a catlike deviousness to his expression. How had she not noticed beforehand?

"What do you want, Mr. Ash?"

"Oooh, polite," she could feel his fingers slip through the back of her hair and she spun sharply, swatting him away. Why, out of all the others, had he taken a shining to her? Even before her humiliation, he had nearly hand picked her from the group, "Remember when we were in the bay and you couldn't keep your hands off me? I think about that fondly." She didn't have to look back to tell that he was smiling.

Her teeth were gritted, "I didn't know how to swim. I could have drowned."

"But you learned so fast! Think of all the other things I could teach you..."

He had successfully baited the medic, who stopped walking and was ready to give a piece of her mind. Past all the innocence, had fire in those big, dark eyes, Caelin noticed. When he spoke, there was a secretive seriousness in his voice, "There's a place I know - we know it as Dukahrn's. Heard of it?"

Yeva waited, glancing at the others who were already half disappeared up the street, "What about it?"

He watched her closely, "It's a medical facility, busy. Lots of operations you have never even seen before. I could you take you, let you get a taste of some real saw cut stuff."

Saw cut stuff? Yeva realized quickly, "It's a boneyard doctor, isn't it?" Medical "professionals" whose practices were hardly ethical or safe. Yeva was already shaking her head. The Order of Adunih would never approve of it, "Absolutely not."

"Why? Because of your little faction?"

"Stop being condescending!"

"Me?" he barked a laugh, "You think just because you're going to university, you're better? Just because you're wearing a glorified blanket-"

Yeva threw an open palm at his face, but he jumped back out of reach, "Dukahrn helps people. The people society forgets about, the ones they scorn. Yeah, maybe it's not always safe, but the pirates, the criminals, the teenage mums, he sees 'em all. He fixes 'em up. Meanwhile, the Order gets to play gods. Pick and choose who deserves treatment, you just haven't seen it yet."

"The Order would never!"

"But they would! They deny surgery if they deemed it unsafe, they make people feel as if they can't seek aid! Dukharn fills a need; one that isn't being filled! Why is that, you think? Some people don't have hope, Sunspot, they need a place to go. He wouldn't be in business if that weren't the case. Come with me, and see for yourself. It's busy. Always."

Anger still stirred in her, but she hesitated. Why would a Scalvoran choose a backyard butcher in a place where an entire healing faction was stationed? She couldn't tell if the pirate was lying or not, "Why are you telling me this?"

"You're in danger here. You wear a target on your back and don't even know it. The Order of Adunih isn't everyone friend. I can show you."
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Yeva on Fri May 22, 2020 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 745
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Order of Attack

61 Ashan 720

"Alright, I'll go," Yeva agreed, although her heels seemed to dig into the cobblestone. Caelin guided her swiftly, opting to wind down side streets and alleyways in order to reach their destination, and then before they could step back out into the public, he grabbed her roughly by the arm.

"Get o-"

"Take off your cloak," the pirate tugged her sleeve, "You have to."

"Excuse me? I will not."

"Then we stop here," his face was serious, and in the dim light, his bone structure cast sharp shadows, "I won't risk my neck for ya down here. Ya listen to me or ya turn 'round." They stared at one another for a long moment and then she swallowed, shrinking down.

"Fine. But how do I know-"

"You'll be fine. We'll leave the cloak here for now, take a quick tour, come back and ya get it back, right as rain."

She eyed him wearily, "Promise?"

Caelin snorted, "Ya serious?" he watched her cross her arms, "Yes, I promise."

Yeva narrowed her eyes and then looked over at where Dukahrn's sat waiting. Just a little peek... She shrugged off the thick fabric and folded it neatly, ignoring Caelin's exasperated impatience. It took her a bit of mental rallying to tuck it behind an old barrel and she took a deep breath when he led her closer to the entrance. Shifty figures scuttled by but she could feel eyes on her, exposed without the protection of the outerwear. Her heart skipped and she felt the first sliver of fear grip her stomach. This is a bad idea.... Such a bad idea.

"Just be calm," Caelin whispered, knocking sharply on the entrance. From behind the barrier, Yeva could hear a woman screaming her throat raw and she shrank into Caelin's touch when he slipped an arm around her shoulder. She wanted to smack him away, "Try to look a little less posh, will ya?"

She shot him a glare, ignited by discomfort and anxiety, "Don't."

A voice boomed and someone ripped the front door of the establishment open; a man covered in blood. If she hadn't been held in place, she would have bolted, "Whaddya want?!"

"Duk! It's me, Caelin, you remember, right?" the pirate grinned, drawing Yeva against him and burying his face into her neck, "This is my darling, Sunspot. Met her at port, just can't keep my hands off her, ya know?" Yeva froze, eyes widening when he licked her neck, his tongue drawing her attention, followed by his words, "Might of put a baby in her. Ya got anythin' for that?"

Horror. Embarrassment. Rage.

Dukahrn snarled, throwing the door open to reveal a waiting room with a number of dreary looking individuals, some whimpering, others throwing up, "Can't you see I'm busy! If it ain't one baby, it's another. Son of a..." his voice faded off to a growl and the door began to swing closed. Caelin continued the act, humming in repressed desire as his hands began to dip under her shirt.

Eyes widening, Yeva reared back, fist formed and swung, slamming into the man's bicep. Caelin grimaced and choked a sound of pain, hands drawing back to clutch his arm, "I'm just selling it," he whispered, jaw clenched, "Ya got more of a swing than I give ya credit for..."

"Try that again and I'll give you a black eye!"

"Look, Duk might not care. But the others will wonder what a lass like you is doing in a place like this. If they think we're together... they'll think ya too ashamed to go to the Order, or maybe ya folks find out? Eh, what'd ya think?"

She stood, stunned, "You've given this thought?"

"'Course I have. I'm more than a pretty face, I've got brains too" Caelin reached for the door, smoothing back his dark hair, "Now, stop being such a prude."

"I'm not a-"

He opened the door and she grew quiet, ushered inside. The walls were a smoke stained yellow, a few of the residents sucking on pipes, despite the perpetual wet cough that seemed to echo around the room. One man sat slumped with a piece in his mouth, arm red and inflamed, the mingling smell of tobacco and infection making her stomach retch. Along the far corner was a counter where a woman half stood writing on a piece of paper. She too was covered in blood, dark circles weighing heavy under brown eyes. Beside her was a sign that Yeva couldn't help but stare at.
For Sale.
[To be continued...]
word count: 788
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1192
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: The Order of Attack

Yeva:

Knowledge:
Disguise
Take Off Recognizable Clothing

Discipline
Giving In To Curiosity

Deception
Let Someone Else Lie For You
Some Promises Can't Be Broken

Investigation
Doubt the Motives of a Pirate

Medicine
Dukahrn's: Available Treatment Center (Almund)

Loot: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: Caelin is mean and annoying, but at the same time he’s quite a well-written NPC, and his tormenting poor Yeva was entertaining to read. I wonder if what he said about the Order is true or not. Do they ever deny surgery if they deem it unsafe? I only have one complaint in regard to this thread! It was too short! I want to know what will happen next!

Anyway, enjoy your rewards!

P.S.: I think the date in the first post is wrong. The thread doesn’t really take place in 719, does it?
word count: 151

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Almund”