• Solo • Unstoppable (Graded)

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Eastern Continent.
Varlum
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 522
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Unstoppable (Graded)

24th Zi'da

"You helping build a house or something?"

The old man watched as Varlum picked up a medium sized log from the pile he had beside him. Compared to some of the other trees it had been small, but from the perspective of a human it was a lot to lift, at least two needed for it unless it was going to be dragged. Varlum gave a small chuckle. "I didn't know houses were being built, so no. But when I'm done, I'd be happy to help with any labour you need done" he offered genuinely. As far as Varlum knew this village had nobody in charge, but the closest to it was this man. Old and wise, or so Varlum had been told. Everybody had an equal vote on things, it just so happened that whatever this man voted often swayed more than a few opinions.

"I'll be sure to let the builders know and tell them where to find you. Maybe they can build a house that means you can stop sleeping in that there barn" he shot playfully, Varlum just giving a smirk back as he lifted the log with both hands and held it over his shoulder. It was heavy, no doubt, but carryable at least. "Just let me know" the Ithecal offered, starting his small walk to the open field beside the village. It was clear and quiet enough that he wouldn't be disturbed, at least not massively. Occasionally someone would walk past it, going to or from the little village, but none paid much attention to the Ithecal aside from a few looks of awe or fear.

Walking past a few children and their parents, Varlum kept himself quiet. While everyone knew of him already from the fight he had with the bandits that had tried to rob them all, he was still met with some level of uncertainty. It wasn't a surprise. Small villages like this had to be careful who they trusted and let in, especially if that someone had taken down a group of men that were fully armed and stood over at least two feet taller than everyone in the village. But even so, they let him stay. That was all Varlum could ask for right now, it had only been four trials since their arrival anyway. They would need more time to trust the two Knights.

Once he made it to the field, Varlum put down the log for a moment and glanced around. It was slowly growing dark, not that it was much of an issue. He didn't have much to be doing anyway these days. Training had taken over the past few days while he waited for whatever information he could about the Aukari cultists. Every day that Varlum spent readying the village for a potential attack was a day that Kane spent out in the woods searching with the hunters. While it meant the Knights didn't see much of each other until the night, it was the most productive thing they could do. Varlum wasn't much of a hunter, his efforts were better spent strengthening relationships here.

With a small inhale, Varlum bent his knees, keeping his back straight to pick up the log and lift it over his shoulders, resting it on them with his thick scaled hands holding it tight. Slightly leaning his head forward to keep himself balanced, the man lifted up with all his strength. While it wasn't too heavy initially, Varlum knew it would get worse with each movement. But right now that was the point. Despite getting better in a fight the Ithecal had been neglecting his basic training. Fighting had made him stronger in some ways, but his stamina needed work. If he was going to be fighting more Flameborn in the future he would need to be as physically able as he could be. Fighting one had been hard enough, only the Immortals knew how many more could attack at once. If another had been there on the expedition then nobody would have survived.

Slowly, the Ithecal lowered himself back in to a squat. Training for Endurance had always been hard in Ivorian, consisting of long and drawn out workouts to make the muscles strain for longer, or so he had been told. Strength was easy enough, especially with the axe that Varlum used. But keeping himself in the fight for a long time was made a lot harder because of the sheer weight of his weapon, no matter how strong he was. As the man lowered down he found himself hissing a little, the burning in his legs beginning to come through. Each movement he made only furthered how heavy the log felt on his shoulders and legs.

Despite the pain, however, Varlum refused to drop the log until he couldn't go anymore. If there was one thing he refused to do it was quit. He'd fought off enemy soldiers, bounty hunters, bandits and even a Flameborn. If none of those could stop him, nothing could. Under his breath Varlum started muttering quietly, pushing himself further, counting each squat he did to keep his focus. "Three. Four. Five. Six" he whispered, voice straining as he struggled with the seventh lowering. As his legs pushed back up his voice roared across the plains. "Seven! Eight! Nine!"

Midway through the tenth Varlum stopped, dropping the log down with a loud thud and catching his breath for a moment, body leaned over to catch his breath. Fighting for long periods of time was difficult, but at least he didn't have weight like that on his back through all of it. That would make fights a lot more difficult to endure. As the Ithecal caught his breath he caught wind of a small group of three heading towards him, the elder man from earlier leading the rest along. By Ethelynda, Varlum prayed those weren't the builders. As soon as he saw them moving over the Ithecal straightened himself up, hissing quietly under his breath as he forced what little endurance he had left.

"If you're about to ask for my help building a house, you better have a hot meal waiting for me first" he chuckled to the men. The old man gave a small laugh before shaking his head, looking up to the towering Ithecal. "Not until tomorrow, I wouldn't worry. We actually came with some good news, a thank you of sorts" the elder offered. Curiosity overwhelmed Varlum, the initial thought being that they had found the Aukari. But that couldn't be possible, surely? Not this quick. Unless the Aukari were hiding dangerously close to the village there was no way they could be found yet.

Seeing the confusion in Varlum's face, the man gave a small chuckle and pat him on the back before gesturing to the two men that followed alongside him. "These two men are Smiths in our town, some of the best smiths I've ever seen might I add" he explained simply to the Ithecal, before turning to look at him with a warm smile spread across his cheeks. "As thanks for saving us, they would be more than happy to grant you an offer. Whatever you want for half the usual price, if they can make it they will do it. Big guy like you can do better than a basic axe like that" he teased, voice sincere and kind. Both Smiths nodded and gave Varlum a determined look, one stepping forward.

"Whatever it is you want, just stop by the forge some time. It's hard to miss, lots of smoke coming out the top" he said before offering Varlum his calloused hand. As far as humans went, the man was fairly big, easily standing over six feet and four inches. Without hesitation Varlum took the mans hand and shook it, both giving the other a firm grip. "Thank you for helping us. I know some of the town might be slow to trust you, but what you did was selfless. We owe our lives to you - and our coin purses" he laughed with a wide grin on his face.

Returning the grin, Varlum let go of the mans hand and moved back a small step. "I did what any good soldier would. As for the gift, I can't thank you enough. I'll stop by as soon as possible with an order, I look forward to seeing what you can do. I'll move this log back and maybe we can all have a talk over the fire" he nodded, before turning around and reaching to pick up the log. As he did the two Smiths came to either end of the log and placed it over their shoulders. "We got this one. Head back and claim that hot meal of yours, we'll cook something up around a fire when we're back. I'd love to ask about that there shield on your hand if you get the chance". With a gesture to follow from the Elder, Varlum nodded again. "I'd love to tell you about it. Thank you."

With that, the Ithecal made his way back towards the town with the Elder, a small grin on his face as he did.
► Show Spoiler
word count: 1598
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Re: Unstoppable

[anchor=OptionFour][/anchor]
Thread Review
Always nice to see that our favorite lizard is staying in shape. Such a nice guy too, real stand up public figure. Swol too, so swol. Nice training thread, well done.
Varlum
  • Skill Points - 10
  • Renown - 5 (for being a positive, public image)
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Endurance: Prolonged lifting
    2. Endurance: Slow movements make lifting harder
    3. Endurance: Constant workouts, no breaks
    4. Endurance: Pushing through pain
    5. Endurance: The burning pain of muscle strain
    6. Strength: Lifting a log
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards
    1. viewtopic.php?f=363&p=103525#p103525 50% off a weapon
Player 2
  • Skill Points -
  • Renown -
  • Skill Knowledges
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards

Final Notes

If you have any questions, please PM me. Also please add the provided stamp to your review request found here and please update your CS with all of this information.

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12064[/img][/center]
word count: 158
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern Plains”