• PM To Join • The Edge of the Scimitar

Hankley please

43rd of Vhalar 720

A blistering desert that stretches for hundreds of miles around Nashaki, with very little relief from the baking heat.
Demda
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Nomad
Renown: 105
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 3

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: The Edge of the Scimitar

Demda started a bit when Hankley reached for her hand, a little skiddish at first but allowed it ultimately. She didn’t imagine this peaceful Qi’ora would be able to overpower her, much less have the inclination based on all that Demda had seen. Her skin was nicely textured on her skinny hands, with vein-like protrusions that reminded her of palm leaves. The scout followed her host along to her cottage.

Demda had some more water from her skin before Hankley asked her how she got down this far south. Indeed, often since separation from the rest of the survey group, Demda had wondered much the same. But her meandering wanderings had taken her far afield of the expedition. She didn’t imagine that they’d have coin for her efforts in leading the operation if she returned to Nashaki. It may be high time to relocate, and leave the Hotlands for good.

”I was part of a survey group, we were looking for treasures and artifacts in the Eastern and Southern Hotlands. Was my job to make sure they had all they needed for the operation. We started at the South, near the Sky Caves to gather information on artifacts, then made our way to the Desert Rose.” Demda shook her head, ”When we attempted to make our way to the fabled Temple of Illusions, we were separated by a terrible sandstorm.”

“Since then, I imagine they made their way back to Nashaki, if they survived at all. But I wandered and got lost… eventually ending up around this green land.”
Demda sighed, and then nodded gratefully at the Qi’ora’s question about a grazing platter.

”It’s probably better than anything I’ve been treated to in Nashaki. And whether it’s lavish as anything… That depends on how close you are to the city’s center.” Demda for her part lived most of her life nearer to the outskirts than anywhere else.

Idly, Demda’s hand drifted down into her belt satchel, taking out the treasured compass that she’d found on the journey the Caravansary had made a cycle prior. It had the bronze boss of a desert wolf on its metalwork, well varnished. The glass couldn’t be broken, as far as she could tell. The needle, as always pointed true north, which revealed her to be facing to the west as she sat at the table.

”I’ve never seen a creature like Brach before… What is he, if you don’t mind my asking?” Demda knew camels… and of course Monk was the coveted breed of a prized thorned horse. But the ‘oxen’ seemed almost like one of the desert beetles or scarabs, with it’s strange mandibles that looked sharp enough to rend flesh.

word count: 465
Image*Image*Image*Image
Hankley
Approved Character
Race: Qi'ora
Profession: Farmer
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hankley listened intently as Demda spoke. A treasure hunter. That sounded like an exciting life. There were many stories of such people, some turning out well, others not so much. This one so far sounded as if it ended somewhere in the middle. Not terrible, not great. Perhaps that was the norm. "I've not heard of this Temple of Illusions before. Do you mind telling me about it? I promise to not go seeking its treasures without you." She grinned as she jested, for she had no intention of ever going treasure hunting. The land beneath her feet and the trees around her were the treasures she needed in this life.

Hankley watched as the woman pulled out... something. It was so shiny and it seemed to move on its own, a little needle pointing off on its own. Before she could ask, Demda asked more about Brach, and she smiled, popping some food in her mouth. She made sure to chew and swallow before speaking, "He is called a Nashaki Oxen. They roam in great herds around our sands. Majestic creatures. I found Brach separated from his herd, much like you, and I have raised him ever since. He's almost an adult now, but still has some growing to do. He can seemingly eat anything, plant or animal. I've not yet found anything he doesn't like, nor anything that makes him ill." She took a bit of cheese and continued, "I once spoke with a man from a place called Rynmere. He seemed to think that Brach wasn't an oxen at all. That oxen are hairy, with great big horns on their heads. I've never seen such a creature, but I don't think something so hairy would like it here in the desert. So I asked if the man had ever seen a hairless oxen, and he said he hadn't."

She gestured to the food, "Please, eat." Hankley continued eating before she absolutely needed to ask, "What is that shiny thing? Is that treasure you found from a different adventure?"
word count: 349
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Hankley:

Knowledge:
Animal Training x4
Socialization x4
Cooking x2
Etiquette x1

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: 5, for giving aid to Demda.
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

Demda:

Knowledge:
Animal Husbandry x 4
Discipline x 3
Socialization x 4

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: -
- - -
Comments: This was a nice first meeting between Demda and Hankley. When I read Hankley’s first post and how she was trying to give Brach a bath, I couldn’t help but feel a little melancholic. I remember reviewing the thread where he died …

I loved how you described Hankley taking care of her ox. It’s obvious that he means a lot to her. I was quite amused when the big ox tried to hide behind her when she went to greet Demda!

I didn’t know that Demda didn’t speak Common well. You described her difficulties in that regard very well, and I liked how she seized up upon seeing Brach. She doesn’t know that he’s afraid as well!

I agree with her that Hankley’s farm seems very nice and peaceful, by the way.

I really enjoyed the conversation between Demda and Hankley and the atmosphere in this thread, even if it wasn’t finished.

Enjoy your rewards!

P.S.: I would have added “Animal Husbandry” to the list of skills used in the review request as Hankley gave Brach a bath and took care of him.

P.P.S.: Demda, if you unretire your PC and want knowledges for this thread, let me know, please, and I’ll edit this review.
word count: 273

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Hotlands”