• Open • A Knight in Shining Armour

The untamed wilderness of Melrath is vast and encompasses frigid mountain ranges, glacial fields, deep alpine lakes, dark ancient forests as well as the expansive shoreline of the nation. Here creatures and spirits dwell together in the remote places of the world, far from the hustle and bustle of civilization.

Moderators: Fairytale, Strange

Anos
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Monster Hunter
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Secrets
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

A Knight in Shining Armour

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:39 pm

3 to 12 Vhalar, 719
Anos closed the door quietly behind him, trying his best to ignore the quiet sobs of the elderly woman as he strode off down the street.

He had been recommended to the woman by a local bartender who knew their situation. The couple's young daughter, just turned 22 arcs, had married her childhood sweetheart in a gorgeous ceremony three arcs ago, and had left not long after to build a small farm on the foothills of the Melrathi Mountains. The couple had been happy and her parents had sent them off with plenty of coin and supplies to begin their new life.

Up until the beginning of Saun, they had regularly exchanged letters and her parents had made the visit once, last Ymiden. The problem began in their daughter's last letters, which they showed Anos. In each, she complained of missing sheep, and off, massive footsteps. She had complained she was worried of a Grundel, a beast that Anos had required an explanation of.

A terrifying mix of a bear and a person, it stood around ten feet tall and was a deadly killer, enjoying the taste of man often according to the tales the father had shared, grim faced as his wife dabbed at her eyes.

Now it had been a full season without word and they were worried. They asked Anos to bring a letter for them, but his primary job would be to explore and investigate the farm. They had bartered for a price, and Anos had taken his leave, promising to investigate immediately.

He made a trip to the bar, letting the bartender know he could use help, if any was to be found, and retreated to the inn room he shared with Celian. His mentor had still not returned but he had given Anos leave to aid the citizens of the city, his same, standard, broad task. He scratched out a quick note to Celian letting him know of the plan before grabbing his pack and heading out. He needed to do some shopping.

Anos had a full pack, Cassander seated on his perch on his shoulder, and was about to go outside when he saw the small group sitting around the table, packs and gear making it evident to him that they planned on joining him on his journey

"Are you all going to be joining me?" He asked, drawing near and looming over the table. "Heading to the Melrathi Mountains? I'll be glad to have you. My mama's Anos, and this is the good King Cassander." He said this last, gesturing to the owl on his shoulder who was peering irritably at a single beam of the rising sun streaming in through the far window.

He sank into a seat, sitting perched on the edge and uncomfortable. "I take it you heard the news? We're going to investigate rumours of a Grendel at a farm in the foothills of the mountain. A small farm may have come under attack. I can't say I've ever taken on a grendel, so I'll be glad for the aid."

After the brief conversation, Anos rose and led the way,his both staff thumping along beside him as a walking staff. Their journey would last 8 trials based on the map provided and Anos was eager to get started.

OOC: if you dont want to meet him in the Inn, send me a message and you can meet up anywhere along the way. If no one wants to meet there, I'll just grab a nameless NPC who leaves early on the journey/dies.
word count: 617
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze into the abyss long enough, the abyss will gaze back into you
Jasper
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Aesir
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Re: A Knight in Shining Armour

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Jasper was still surprised to this day how quickly word could spread in Raelia. The city was huge but he had still heard from some of the servants in the Veldaris stronghold that some outlander was going to search for a missing farmer and his family. The whispered part of the story had been that there might be a Grendel involved. The young Aesir had been thinking about the rumor and that the stranger was calling for help.

Jasper found himself riding through the streets of the corrupt capital towards the Inn mentioned. He was dressed for traveling with sturdy breaches and a cotton shirt, both in natural browns. On his back her wore the Grendel cloak his mother had made for him when he had become a man. The hood was thrown back and as where the from lapels of clock so that his regular clothing was visible. His sleeves were rolled up to his upper biceps allowing people to have see the scars from the Grendel on the one arm and the matching embla marks on the other arms.

Jasper stopped at the Inn in question and slipped off of Laquin. The young man ran his hand along the magnificent creatures flank and then taking the saddle bags off and carefully took the white Sleipnir to the stables. The young Aesir smiled at the two children who were trying to catch a glimpses of his mount and friend.

“Come on over.” He said with a wave of his hand. The two looked at him in shock but then raced over and with his direction got the chance to touch a Sleipnir something they would talk about for the rest of their life.

Once that was done Jasper walked into the room and joined a group who had gathered around a tall man with blond hair. Jasper guess the man and he were a similar height but he took a seat near the back of the small group. His brown eyes keen as he listened to the man’s brief explanation.

The foreigner wasn’t even sure what a Grendel was. Jasper thought that was why the man was so brave. He just smiled and sat quietly. He did approve of the presence of the owl it did speak of someone who tried to be i tune with nature.

Jasper didn’t really say anything as the departed he just retrieved his flying mount. Jasper walked Laquin as the group departed the city. Once they were beyond the walls Jasper approached the man and asked. “So my curiosity drives me to ask what is the whole story here. Why do you think it’s a Grendel?” Jasper asked, his voice and expression friendly and curious. As he talked Jasper felt his friend nudge him. Laquin believed that Jasper should always be riding if they were together as it was the best way for the mount to protect him. Actually the Sleipnir thought they should be flying but he was good with riding. Jasper smiled and patted his friends muzzle. “In a little bit.”
word count: 514
Anos
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:33 pm

There were four of them, after he had finished explaining their goals. Two of them were young men, barely out of their adolescence by his mind, and obviously close friends. Their chairs were drawn close, and they were chatting amiably as he had arrived.

The third was an older man who had introduced himself as Timothy, a foreigner hailing from Etzos where he had served in the guard. Anos thought his insight and experience would be useful additions, though he was unsure as the man was already thoroughly drunk despite the hour.

The last member of their party was a dark haired man wearing an odd cloak that Anos had never seen before. It looked like the pelt of a large creature, though of a type wholly unknown.

There was very little discussion, and the four of them set off immediately. Cassander took his standard perch on Anos's shoulder as he swung himself into the saddle, beginning their trek mounted. He knew with that long of a journey, they'd be better alternating riding and walking, both for his legs which had become disused to riding, and for his horses health.

He had come to refer to his horse simply as "Horse", something Celian, his mentor, found great humor in. Cassander was intensely jealous, and would hoot loudly whenever he felt Anos' duty to groom his mount had been fulfilled.

Sure enough, once out of the walls Anos dismounted and walked beside his beast, stretching his legs which had already become alarmingly sore. He turned gratefully to the other man, surprised to see him nearly eye to eye. There were not many in Idalos who could do so, beyond the Eidisi. He was grateful for the distraction from his pain, however, and threw himself into the conversation willingly.

"A fair question. Would you believe that you are the first to ask? It is a missing daughter and her new husband. The parents of the girl are worried, as they havent gotten any letters from the newlyweds since Saun." He paused and stretched his arm, setting Cassander atop the saddle.

"As for the rest, it wasnt me who thought it was a Grendel. To tell you the truth, I'venever even heard of a Grendel, though by the look in the parent's eyes, they're scary beasts. No, they told me it was likely a Grendel, as their daughter's letters had complained of seeing their tracks around the farm. What do you know of them?" Anos asked.

As the large beast nudged the man, Anos took note of its appearance for the first time. Large wings graced its back, and eight thick, sturdy legs trod along beside Anos' horse with no problem. It stood even with his own mount, if not a half a hand taller. "That's a fine beast I havent seen anywhere else," he said, a bit of amazement in his voice. "Is it truly able to fly?" He held out his hand towards the creature, open palmed and flat like one would towards a new horse just getting the smell of you.

word count: 526
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze into the abyss long enough, the abyss will gaze back into you
Jasper
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 am

The blond haired foreigner seemed friendly enough as he was more then willing to open dialogue with Jasper. Jasper’s brown eyes meet that if the groups leader as they walked through the farms and fields around the capital.

The leader of the group clearly wasn’t used to horse though he worked to hide it well but he was more then willing to answer Jasper’s question and did so with clarity and precision. He then asked a few questions of his own. Jasper weighed the answer and liked what he heard. The man wasn’t sure what he was up against but could read the signs enough to recognize danger. He also seemed to take a up neat look on life.

Jasper looked the man in the face and stopped walking. “Well let’s start with introduction and then I would gladly answer. The name is Jasper Rel Ardeichy.” He extended his hand and once introductions were finished he bit his lip in thought and then answered his eyes were twinkling in amusement and his lips twitched.

“There seems something funny about this story, but let me tell you about Grendel’s and see what you think.” He found himself fiddling with his Grendel cloak.

“Grendel’s are ugly as well...” Jasper based Grendel’s were the bottom level of ugly in Melrath. “You don’t get uglier” Jasper finished lamely. “When you can see them, they look like a starving bear, but are much nastier.” He paused to consider and then continued. “They generally live in the mountains and will only come farther down if they are desperate for meat. You know they are around by their awful shrikes.” He shuddered and then eyes narrowed in thought. “They are really hard to kill.”

Jasper found himself rubbing his arm where his scares left over from his confrontation with the Grendel and his eyes looked briefly haunted. “I can tell from personal experience they are strong, with nasty fangs and just as sharp claws.”

The conversation turned to the Sleipnir who was eying the hand being offered him curiously. Jasper watched with a warry eye and a raised eyebrow. “Be careful.” He said to Anis. Laquin sniffed the the hand for a moment and the grunted.

Feeling safer Jasper spoke. “Laquin here is a Sleipnir and they are able to fly.” Jasper said with childish grin. “It is quiet a pleasure flying with him.” He paused and said. “One thing to remember is a Sleipnir isn’t a horse.” He said carefully pulling back Laquin‘s lips exposing the sharp fangs. “So what brings your to Melrath?”
word count: 439
Anos
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Anos belatedly shook the man's hand, flushing slightly. He really wasn't good with the whole social interaction things, though he had kicked the worst of it during his travels. Still, things like this would occasionally rise up to bite him in the ass if we wasn't paying attention.

"Pleasure to meet you. The name's Anos."

Anos listened as the Melrathi native told him of Grendels, committing the tales to memory. The man rubbed at his arm as he spoke of their claws and teeth, Anos noticing the scars left there. Perhaps this man had fought one before? That would explain his mirth at seeing Anos propose to take one down with no knowledge of what he was getting himself into.

He smiled at his agreeing to the job without knowing what he was up against, but it was par for the course.

As the horse-thing smelled at his hand, Anos kept still and didn't look at it. Many animals saw eye contact as aggressive, and he wasn't entirely sure what this was. As Jasper pulled back the lip, revealing sharp teeth, Anos was glad for his caution. Those would take a chunk out of his hand if Laquin had wanted to. Anos retreated back slightly to his own horse, happy with keeping his two feet on the ground for the time being.

"I'd bet it's something else. But I'll be sure to keep that in mind and leave his tending to you then. I like my horses a bit more placid," he said, pulling back Horse's lips to show large, flat teeth. He chuckled to himself before continuing.

"I'm travelling with my mentor. Been, what, two arcs now?" He paused, counting off the seasons."Just over two arcs. Seeing the world, gaining new experiences, that sort of thing. He is on a bit of a personal quest, but needs a hand now and again as he's a bit older." Privately, Anos thought it more likely the man didn't want to buy a slave or hire a servant, so many of the basic tasks had fallen to him.

Any resentment Anos had when he first arrived to Melrath had been scoured away by the initiation Celian had put him through. The older man had made Anos a mage, and that gift was one he'd not soon forget.

"I assume you're a native? What do you do here?"

Anos kept up the small talk as the miles vanished beneath their feet and hooves, drawing them ever closer to the farm.

word count: 442
Jasper
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Jasper ran his hand down Laquin’s neck as Anos pulled away from those fangs. His movements and expression showed affection for the large Sleipnir. “Horse are still more common in Melrath then this handsome creature. The Sleipnir is the perfect mount for this harsh environment. They are sturdy, and their ability to fly gives them an advantage in these mountains. They do eat meat but not nearly as often as humans.” Jasper was still smiling as they continued to walk. He looked over at Anos as he mentioned keeping his feet on the ground and shrugged. “Not everyone is up for going up.” Jasper found the play on words slightly amusing.

Jasper turned his focus on the other man’s answer to his questions. So he had seen a fair amount of the world. Jasper felt a twinge of jealous as he talked a bit more traveling with his mentor. Jasper was so focus on his inner feelings that he missed the implication there. The spark with in him seemed to leap at the question, he felt it push him to try to use magic then. They could move so much more quickly if the tore a hole in the world to the place they wanted to go. Jasper breathed slowly as his fingers twitched. Could he do it? No not yet. He still need to learn more and to control it this gift better. He was sure that he would soon need to use his spark.

“I haven’t been beyond Melraths borders, though I travel a fair amount within the borders. My family lives in the southern reaches of the realm.” Jasper said his smiling slipping. “So what are some of the places that you have visited with you Mentor?”

“I am a native Melrathi. I was born in the Alivilida valley along the southern border. My family has lived in that area for centuries. I came north to become one of the Aesir.” Jasper looked at Anos and titled his head. “They are the people who speak with the spirits, and work to bring balance and harmony between the two worlds.”
word count: 355

Return to “The Wilds”