• Solo • Furry Friends III

23rd of Cylus 721

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Profession: Animal Trainer
Renown: 170
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Furry Friends III

23rd Cylus, Arc 721
The class, professor and all was gathered at the Menagerie. Those who bought lanterns were paired with those without, though the professor made it clear no one would get lost with him spearheading the class. Shl'drei had specifically buddied with Lyah of course, as everyone else was practically a stranger. He'd been interacting with his classmates yes, but mostly stuck to himself or tutored Lyah when she had questions. Still, the day of training assignments had come and everyone was abuzz with excitement, though the sounds of the menagerie drowned out any quiet conversation. It was chilly, and just standing there wasn't helping. Professor Drumpf wanted them to be patient though, as the reason they were training these animals were for their forever homes.

"Do you think they'll let us meet with the dogs even after our assignments are finished?" Shl'drei nudged Lyah's arm to catch her attention as she was currently blowing hot air into her hands. She let out a bored sounding 'huh', and turned to him. "I mean, after all the assignments done don't you think we'd be attached to them?"

"I didn't consider that," she admitted. "But it'll be worth it to give them to a home that'll care for them, right?"

When she put it that way, it sounded less painful, but Shl'drei couldn't help his wandering thoughts. If he or one of his classmates got attached, would they have the option to take in the animals themselves? Would something like that be allowed? He watched his breath manifest as they waited, pulling his cloak tighter around him with his free hand. They chatted for a bit longer, stalled, before the professor appeared before his students once again.

"My apologizes for the forced roost," a few giggles and and a few sighs. "But it is time to pick out your animals. I'll start in the order of your dorm arrangements. When you're dorm rooms are called stepped forward and pick a card." Drumpf shuffled the cards in his hand, plain sheets of paper with scribbles on them from what Shl'drei could see. He narrowed his eyes, were they really not picking the dogs based by looks? But why would... and then it hit him! The professor mentioned that things could change, perhaps this was what he meant? As the professor explained, it began to make sense. They wouldn't be picking their assignments, a card would.

There were a few groans, including Lyah but to Shl'drei this was good news. He wouldn't have an advantage, or.. he didn't think he would. Was he overestimating himself again? No, h didn't think so. Once he and Lyah got called he let her choose the card. "What are the odds... All that studying and we don't even get to choose."

"Well, it wasn't for nothing but I'm actually kind of glad it's more chance based."

"What? Why? Wouldn't it be easier if-"

"Yeah, it would be easier. That's the thing- it shouldn't be." Shl'drei interrupted softly, shaking his head lightly as he focused his gaze forward. "Wouldn't it be more exciting if there was a challenge? Surely you want to see how much that studying paid off?"

"Cheeky," Lyah teased. She nodded regardless, the signs of excitement beginning to show on her face. "Let's crush it."
word count: 582
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Furry Friends III

Once each pair had a card, they found that their were names on the card and a type of training that was sought. Shl'drei watched with not so subtle amusement as everyone took turns revealing their cards. Though some students got obedience, others got house training. Some of them got the harder tasks of tricks, but Shl'drei was more interested in his. Without further delay he asked Lyah to flip the card, anticipation and mild worry setting in as he watched her expression. "Diesel the Scalvorian Bulldog. Let's see... He needs obedience training and he's three arcs of age," she summarized.

"On the back of the cards are directions to meet your assignment, make haste chicks! You'll have two bells to familiarize yourself with the dog and owner, after wards it will be housed in the training dorms and your job to train." The professors voice was loud and clear, and with that Lyah flipped over the card. It took a few bits, but eventually they arrived in a kennel room of sorts. They had room 'B', and once they were inside they paused. "Diesel my darling~!" The round woman squealed. She was of heavier build, and very short. Still, she was dressed in the best silks he'd ever seen. A few necklaces and bangles, earrings and a mop of messy muddy brown hair. If Lyah's expression was any indicator, she was having the same thoughts. This lady was rich and was all about flaunting it.

"What a drag," Lyah stated, causing Shl'drei to panic. He elbowed her harder than intended drawing a yelp from her that caught the woman and her bulldogs attention. Immediately, Diesel started barking away, only to be gently shushed by his owner.

"Oh my, are you the trainers? Why, you look like nothing but mere children!" She squeaked, her high pitched voice quickly getting on both trainers' nerves. "Are you really capable of taking care of my darling Diesel?"

"Look lady-"

"We are! We'll be training diesel for you!" Shl'drei said, purposefully interrupting and talking over Lyah. He could feel storm blue eyes drilling holes in his back and resisted the urge to step on her toes. This was a assignment! If she refused to let them work with the dog were did that leave their scores? Their hopes of passing? "Miss..?"

"Lady Sacha," She emphasized, looking at each of them with a critical eye. Annoying, but their letter was on the line. He nodded rigidly and tried to be graceful.

"Lady Sacha-"

"Mm~?" She hummed loudly, placing obnoxiously loud kisses on the dogs tiny muzzle.

"Right... Can you tell us more about diesel. Please," He cleared his throat, hoping it would stop her. Sa- Lady, Sacha gasped, almost if recalling something. "Anything we should keep in mind?"
word count: 473
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

"...and let's not forget his snacky times, my darling diesel must loves snacks!" The snobbish rich lady finished, thirty-three bits later. Shl'drei and Lyah had taken a seat across from her as the small, but clearly slightly obese bulldog huffed and panted on her lap, tail stub wagging excitedly. Lyah had since napped, laying her head on the table with her arms wrapped around it. Shl'drei had to keep himself from sighing- the entire time all Sacha had done was tell them things that the dog liked to do and whatnot.

He kicked Lyah under the table and she stirred, but only groaned and slammed her head back on the table. The thud started the bulldogs barking spree again and finally caused the woman to stop talking to question their capabilities again. "Are you sure you two can han-"

"Yes! Yes. She had a long day yesterday as I said, but we're very reliable," He interjected quickly. With what self restraint he had left, he mustered his best business smile. "If you don't mind, we'd like to take a few moments to see how Diesel fares when he's separated from you." He knew dogs like this one, ones pampered by their owners, often had immeasurable separation anxiety. Still, he wanted to try and see if he could at least gain something useful from the remaining time they had here.

"Oh, so you're not terribly incompetent? How about this, if you promise to try your best I'll leave him in your care, I have a few appoints that I just can't miss you see." Sacha stated matter of factly. She made it sound as if Shl'drei was wasting her time, and it rubbed him the wrong way. This is why I dislike people, he thought. She gave them some parting words regardless, leaving a bag of what she said were essential tools for Diesel's care. Once she was done almost sucking face with the bulldog, she waved, blew another three kisses, and left.

"Oh thank the immortals," Lyah groused. "If I had to listen to her prattle about useless things any longer I swear. And that superiority complex really irked me. Don't know how you were so calm, Shl'drei."

"Lyah, this dog is our lock on passing, which means Sacha was the key. If she decided not to let us train the dog we would have failed." Lyah only shrugged, unbothered as Shl'drei did a mental count to keep his sanity. "Anyway."

"Right, Diesel." Both pairs of eyes landed on the dog, who seem disinterested now that his owner was gone. He was overweight, but he had a beautifully groomed black coat with white paws. Diesel sniffed the air, circled, and planted his body for a nap. "Well, we have a about twenty bits, what's the plan?" Lyah asked, eyes drifting to Shl'drei.

"We need to let him get use to us. I'll go first." Confidence is key, so Shl'drei walked with purpose and knelt in front of the dog. The first key with any Canine was to assert yourself but give them time to acclimate. He held his hand out for the dog to smell, if their scents were calm he supposed the dog would be too. Low and never reach above their head immediately. He walked himself through the steps mentally, even though it wasn't really necessary. It was something he was used to, second nature and all that.

"Hey boy," He cooed as the bulldog raised it's head from it's paws. Diesel sniffed the outstretched hand carefully, but deemed it uninteresting and went back to lay down as Shl'Drei tested the waters with a head pat. Instead, he watched the dogs ears slowly flatten against his head as he curved his lips up and growled.

Shl'drei paused as he recognized aggression. He diverted, instead giving the small breed a stern look in the yes and firmly stating no. Diesel flicked his ear and stopped growly, but he didn't stop snarling. Instead of going for his head Shl'drei reached under and scratched under his snout. Once the dog settled down Shl'drei smiled and acknowledged the good behavior. "Good boy, Diesel."
word count: 719
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

With Diesel in two, Lyah and Shl'drei made their way back to the meetup spot. They had familiarized themselves as much as they could with Diesel in the allotted time, but now it was time for the lecture. Professor Drumpf did a headcount and nodded, then had them prepare. Everyone took off their bags and took out their utensils. Lyah had packed a picnic blanket which she laid over the ground. Shl'drei placed the lantern he carried between them and took out his notebook.

"Alright class, what's the first step to training an animal?" A few murmurs, but no one answered. "The first step is to know the animal. You can't teach what you don't know. You can't teach who you don't know. Animals are fascinating creatures, and they should be respected." Drumpf let his gaze fall on each student individually as he spoke. Shl'drei nodded, as he agreed with the sentiment. "Since we're focusing on canines this cycle, I will be brushing up your knowledge on canines."

"Dogs are decedents of the wolf. When exactly they broke off for domestication is unknown. But perhaps we can touch on their history later, hm?" Drumpf acknowledged. He listed off a few facts and some history, and Shl'drei wrote down the pieces that stuck out to him and questions he had diligently. "Now, dogs are a common companion. They are intelligent and can learn many things. As you know, there a a multitude of breeds of dog. Viden Malamutes, Huskies, Akita's... the list could be endless. A dog has two main senses you know, smell and hearing. It's said that most breeds have very poor eyesight."

"There are exceptions?"

"But of course. As we evolve, so to do the creatures and world around us. Naturally dogs with poor eyesight learn to adapt as most animals do. Now, where was I..?" He ruffled his feathers a bit, then made a noise of recognition. "Ah yes. The dog is-"
word count: 337
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Shl'Drei:

Knowledge:
Animal Training x2
Writing x1
Research x1
Animal Husbandry x1
Socialization x1

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: I think it’s great that you didn’t write a classroom thread, but had Shl’Drei and his classmates visit the Menagerie. That’s a good place for zoology (?) students to learn more about animals. I have to admit, I couldn’t help but wonder if they’d let the students visit the animals as well after the assignment is over. It makes sense though, if it helps rehome them!

I remember that Professor Drumpf is a Becomer that takes the form of an owl, by the way. I wonder how the animals reacted to that. That would have been something that would be interesting to read about. I wonder if the professor even smells like his humanoid students!

I agree with Shl’Drei. It would have been nice if they had been allowed to pick their animals. But that’s how classes go sometimes, and it was entertaining to read in my opinion!

That rich lady with her bulldog sounds annoying. You did a great job writing her in my opinion!

It’s totally okay if you have bulldogs or other dog breeds in your threads, by the way. You called Diesel a “Scalvorian Bulldog” though. If it’s a type of breed that is specific to Scalvoris/ST, developing it would be a good idea. Furthermore, there are no real lords and ladies in Scalvoris. Maybe Sacha just called herself a lady without actually being one though?

Either way, Diesel and Shl’Drei’s interaction with him were described well. I could almost see that dog!

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 292

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”