• Closed • Who Seeks the Seekers

Tio comes across a mysterious group of magicians.

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Tio Silver
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +422
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Who Seeks the Seekers

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 am

Sweetwine Woods
64th Vhalar, 717
It all began with a disturbingly common occurrence in Tio’s life: an explosion.

It was said that there were a number of plants and flowers that'd yet to be discovered in Sweetwine Woods which held properties no Alchemist had ever been able to extract before, and when Tio has heard this he saw a chance to make a whole lot of money. If he could figure out how to steal their effects first he'd be able to sell the method to other alchemists. So he'd packed up his kit, hopped on his horse and headed out into the forest, ready to do some experimenting.

It couldn't have been ten minutes after he arrived that problems occurred. Tio had lit a small camp fire to boil down the reagents he wanted to test with, but since he’d forgotten to pack a hook to hang his cauldron on had instead animated Risas and had him hold it over the flame. He added the first flower he wanted to test into the cauldron and turned his back to pick up a few other reagents, when a fizzing sound alerted him to the fact that something was terribly wrong. By the time he realized what was happening however it was too late; the contents of his cauldron exploded, blasting the fire below it to pieces and sending a shower of embers flying into the surrounding bushes. The embers found food in the dry wood and leaves, and within seconds the beginnings of a terrible forest fire was growing right in front of him.

“Bugger bugger bugger bugger bugger…” Tio repeatedly rapidly as he ran back and forth from his campsite to the stream nearby, filling up a bucket with water and handing it to Risas who, being dead and all, was able to get far closer to the heat than he could. Their team firefighting effort was somewhat helpful, but with so much fuel the fire was growing faster than they could quench it, and it was soon becoming dangerous for them to be so close. Tio would normally have retreated already, but nobody was expecting a forest fire on a day like this and there were sure to be hunters out in the woods who'd pay with their lives for his mistake if this fire grew out of control.

Although perhaps it was too late for that already. In a whoosh of flames an entire tree suddenly burst alight, and it seemed to be a signal for the rest of the fire to grow even hotter, too hot for Tio to even get close too anymore. There was no chance of stopping it now!

But then the strangest thing happened. Like a furious animal calming down the flames began to decrease in intensity, and gradually began to shrink until nothing remained but embers.

“What in Faldrun’s fiery ass is going on here?!” An unfamiliar voice yelled, and Tio turned around to be met with the sight of a peculiar old man glaring at him. If looks could kill Tio would have beaten, burnt and torn to pieces by this one. Yet his fear dissolved into curiosity as he noticed the old man's hand, which was outstretched towards the remnants of the fire. You could almost see the cogs in his mind clicking together before the realization finally hit him.

“Wait… the fire… that was you! You put it out with your mind!”
[/align]
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Who Seeks the Seekers

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 am

“You’re a magician! You controlled the fire!” Tio proclaimed excitedly, the beginnings of a wide grin growing on his face.

The old man however did not look all impressed. “Am I really? Well gee whizz, aren't you a clever one to make such an astute observation after watching me put out a fire right in front of you! He replied sarcastically. His brow furrowed even deeper as he cast a glance over to Risas, who was still standing like a lemon besides the burnt bushes. “And you're one too I see, a necromancer at that. Gods what is the world coming to when somebody teaches an irresponsible jackass like you the dark arts? Shameful is what it is! Magicians ought to set better standards when taking on an apprentice.”

Tio bristled a little at the insult. “Well excuse me! If it makes you happier to know I don't actually have a master. I'm self taught.”

The old man scoffed. “Self taught my ass. Who gave you the spark then, hmm?”

“Oh don't get me wrong, I got the spark for someone else alright. About a cycle ago now this creepy old dude gave it to me and locked me in a cave with Risas here, but when I got out he'd buggered off and left me.”

A look of surprise passed the old man's face, and he shot another quick glance at Risas. He might have been imagining it, but Tio could swear that the angry expression on his face eased up a little. “You’ve been teaching yourself for a year? And you can control a thrall like that? That's-... no, it doesn't matter! A idiot who can't watch over a campfire properly has no business meddling in the powers of death. If I were your master I'd tell you to bury your skeleton, go home and never mess around with magic again.”

For a brief second Tio’s eyes lit up as an idea struck him. “Would you want to be?”

“Want to be?” The old man raised an eyebrow. “Want to be what?”

“My master! How about you teach me to control fire like you just did?”

There was a pause as the old man just stood there, staring at him with disapproval. “You must be joking.”

“Not at all!” Tio replied enthusiastically. “If you taught me how to control fire there would be no need to worry about me letting another one go out of control, right?”

“There are so many holes in your logic that I don't even know where to begin.” The stranger replied in a dull tone, then turned to leave.

“Hey, wait for me.” Tio cried, and ran forward to catch up with him before he disappeared into the forest.
[/align]
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Who Seeks the Seekers

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:57 am

For one so old, the stranger was surprisingly nimble on his feet, and Tio had to actively widen his stride in order to keep pace with him. Through the forest they went, with Tio constantly pestering him with a seemingly endless list of benefits to be gained taking him on as a student, and the old man doing his best to ignore him.

“- and I’d cook you delicious burritos using my family’s secret recipe whenever you wanted! I could use magical fire to cook them on the spot-...”

“By the Immortals, you’re a persistent one aren’t you?” The stranger said with a heavy sigh, his determination to ignore him slowly but surely eroded away by Tio’s unending stream of words. “What’s your name anyway?”

Tio grinned smugly. “Why, I’m the illustrious Captain Tio Silver of course! Perhaps you’ve heard of me?”

“No, I haven’t. Wait… you’re not a pirate captain are you?”

“Well no, I use the term ‘Captain’ rather loosely.”

“Well do you have a ship? Or a crew?”

“...”

“...”

“... I have a hat.”

“Oh for the spirit’s sake! You’re just messing with me aren’t you?” The stranger cried.

Tio raised his hands up defensively. “No no no, not at all.” Sensing it was time to change the subject, he switched tact. “So what about you? What’s your name?”

At first the stranger didn’t reply, and for a moment Tio thought he was going back to ignoring him. But just as he prepared to start pestering him again the old man grumbled out a couple of words. “Ozborne Kerrick. Warlock of the Seekers.”

Tio frowned. “The Seekers? What’s that?”

Clearly he’d hit a sore point, because Ozbourne threw his hands up in the air as an indignant expression crossed his face. “What are the Seekers he asks! Immortals help me! What’s the world coming to when not even the newest generation of magicians know who the Seekers are! Why, it’s downright scandalous!” Slowly though he began to calm down, and his indignation morphed into resignation. “But I suppose that’s the way it’s got to be. We don’t belong in the spotlight anymore; our work is best kept away from public eyes.”

"Oooh, a secret society! Sounds like fun" Tio replied. "Hey now, here's an idea! I'm a stealthy kind of guy, I'd be great at helping out with all sorts of clandestine activities! How about you give me a chance to join your organisation and prove myself a good apprentice, and in return you teach me how to do all that cool firey stuff?"

Abruptly Oz stopped walked, and turned to regard Tio with a thoughtful expression. “You? But you're-... then again we have been stretch a little thin lately, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give you a chance. Alright boy listen up! Over one hundred and fifty arcs ago we Seekers were the absolute authority on magic. Our founders were those who sought out and refined the sparks of magic into the Disciplines we know today, and used them to usher mankind into a magical renaissance: a golden age of prosperity and wonders.” A look of sadness overtook his wrinkled features. “But, as with all things, time eventually brought about our downfall. The marvels we created for the world disappeared, and all memory of us and the great things we did vanished from the public eye. Now we continue our research in secret, and continue to help the world as best as we can from the shadows.”

Tio could see no signs that Ozbourne was lying in his body language, and gradually considered and accepted the story he’d told him. It was an incredible story to say the least, even if a lot of it had clearly been skipped over. “Well now, that’s quite a history. Colour me impressed! And yet despite being a secret society you’ve gone ahead and told me about your existence.” The corner of his mouth began to curl up into a cheeky grin. “Does that mean you’re considering me for membership after all?”

Ozbourne harrumphed grumpily, though it was clear that he was faking his bad mood for appearances sake. “If only to get you to shut up for one minute then yes, we can at least start you out as a neophyte and pray that you don’t mess up too badly. First things first though, you’ll have to survive the initiation. I’m no necromancer after all, and to teach you to control the elements you’ve got to have the Defiers spark within you.”

“Ah don’t worry about that. I survived the necromancy initiation after all, how much worse could it be?” Tio replied with a dismissive wave of his hand.

Ozbourne’s only response was a sadistic grin.
[/align]
Zipper
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Who Seeks the Seekers

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

@Tio

Overview

Should start following your threads. They're pretty hilarious. Enjoy the points.

XP: 10/10 (Magic)

Fame:
Nope

Loot/injuries/overstepping:
Nooooooo

Knowledge

Skill Knowledge:
Chemistry: Fizzing = Bad
Chemistry: Beware of causing fires
Chemistry: Always use proper safety equipment
Necromancy: Thralls make good firehooks
Persuasion: Pestering people until you get what you want
Persuasion: Why not hire a sneaky guy?
Please make sure your review request is marked as complete and put a review stamp on it!

Your review request is: here
ImageImageImage

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”