More Than One Way To...

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

More Than One Way To...

85 Ashan 722
This was why he hated dealing with academics. They made everything go so slowly because they were afraid of the world around them- or at least the parts of it they hadn't completely pulled apart and catalogued. He had given Dean Wagstaff the night to consider his proposals and in the morning the meeting had been less than pleasant. Well, it was pleasant enough. Balthazar knew enough about talking to people to avoid being explicitly rude but he also didn't work very hard to conceal his disappointment. With him they might have the metal studied and out to the public within the next few seasons. At the pace he was witnessing them working, he didn't estimate they'd be done before another arc. They were too thorough for their own good in his opinion. Well maybe not thorough, just mundane. If they could attune to the metal they could learn faster but they could not and now Balthazar felt little incentive to help them.

He'd gone out of his way to come to the mountains because he kept hearing about the metal but no groups working on it and Robin had already cast doubt on the gamble they were making. Payment for helping them would not suffice. He could make plenty of nels doing other things. He didn't need the university's money, he wanted the metal. Dean Wagstaff had refused to offer him a better price and he had refused to have the metal sent to Haven for processing because it was not native to Faldrass. That wasn't the point and the fact that the Dean could not see the advantage of moving the metal to a closer research station frustrated Balthazar. The mage had offered to let them use his own forge in order to process the metal as they needed, but the Dean refused.

It was frustrating to have what you needed to get something done and to be refused because of certain individuals' perspectives. It was incredibly short sighted, in Balthazar's opinion, but he didn't give into the anger and frustration the university was causing. He had to remind himself that they came from a place where slavery was still openly practiced so they had backwards mindsets to begin with. The meeting in the morning ended on a less than positive note. Balthazar thanked the Dean for his time, but refused to make a deal with those conditions. He took a moment to remind the Dean that the University had no legal claim to any of the metal and that other parties could freely look for it. Other parties who might not have been as friendly as Balthazar had chosen to be.

After the meeting, Balthazar had his party begin gathering their things and he took Robin aside for another secret meeting to discuss what had happened. "Wagstaff has refused to see our reason. He offers us exactly what he offers the rest of his workers and we would be putting in more effort than any of them." Balthazar said in a still irritated tone. "I have refused to work with him under those conditions."

"When you say that you refused..." Robin's voice trailed off but the implication caused Balthazar to smirk slightly.

"I was polite. I'm not looking to make enemies with the University, even if I didn't get what I want." Balthazar replied. Robin didn't seem convinced. He crossed his arms.

"Did you threaten him? In any way?" Robin asked.

"No! Well..." Balthazar thought back to the exact words that he had said so he could be sure there was nothing threatening. "Well... I did mention that other groups might not be as friendly as we are. There are plenty of bandits, mercenaries, and criminals who could benefit from the metal the university is after and their basecamp isn't incredibly secure. We could have taken it over within two nights of hit and run attacks. Maybe one night of a full assault. I didn't mention that though."

"It sounds like you tried to intimidate them." Robin said, his arms still crossed. Balthazar narrowed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I should apologize."

"You should apologize." Robin agreed.

"I will, but that isn't why I brought you out here, so far from them, to talk." Balthazar explained, "I told you I would not steal their metal and I meant it, but I'm not leaving this mountain without knowing something more about it." Now, Robin seemed to adjust his posture and focus. They were no longer discussing simple politeness and the movements of the company, they were discussing something secret.

"What is the plan?"
word count: 788

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.

Tags:
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: More Than One Way To...

85 Ashan 722
"Dean Wagstaff?" Balthazar voice called out as he pulled back the flap and reentered the head of the current mining operation's tent again. The Dean turned to him with a neutral expression, confused but not showing it. In Henri's mind, their business was done and he hadn't expected to see Balthazar again. Regardless the mage must have said something right in their last conversation because the Dean beckoned him in with a small wave. "I spoke with my colleagues and it seems I've made a mistake." Balthazar said, doing his best to conceal how much he felt like he was lying.

"You've reconsidered the University's offer?" The Dean asked as he slowly moved from where he was back over to his desk.

"No." Balthazar said, "It wouldn't be worth either of our time. I'd help you get more metal than you'd get without me, and I'd get paid the same that I'll get paid for much easier jobs with the company. Even if not that, I have my wedding coming up and I can't risk becoming too entangled here. I was hoping to be of more help from the research station in Haven." Balthazar explained. "But it was brought to my attention that I might have been rude when we parted. So I came to apologize for that."

"Ah, I see." Henri said as Balthazar's eyes began to shimmer. The Dean didn't notice because his eyes had dropped to a few papers on his desk and he had no magic of his own to warn him what was happening. Balthazar had learned to pick his moments. He knew when eyes were averted and when his mutation could go unnoticed. He attuned to Dean Wagstaff in the few trills it took him and by the time the Dean was looking into his mutated eyes again, the spell was done. The frequency was his. The first of two that he needed to watch and learn whatever it was that he wanted to know from these people. "I appreciate that you did this, and I am sorry we could not come to an agreement." Henri said. "I wish you luck in your future endeavors."

"I wish you the same. Should you need me, you know where to find me." Balthazar said before offering the Dean a small nod and departing the tent with his apology complete. He took a deep breath and began to walk around the camp, saying casual goodbyes to anyone and everyone who'd he'd talked to in the time that he'd been there. None of his attention was on the goodbyes. His eyes shimmered the entire time and no one knew why but they were quick to chalk it up to one of his many mutations. He was attuning the whole time. Not to any of them individually but to the entire camp. If Henri left, he would need to see what was happening at the spot where the headquarters was set up. If the camp was taken down, it wouldn't matter but that in and of itself would be useful information.

It took about thirty bits of walking the camp, but it was not the first time he had done so. When he could feel the resounding frequency of the camp and hear it's many notes, Balthazar returned to Robin and company. Robin looked at the mage with curious eyes. "Is it done?"

"It is. Let's go back to Haven." The team gathered their resources, Balthazar and Robin mounted their horses and they were off in the same direction that they had come. Robin waited until they were a good distance from the camp to ask the questions lingering on his mind.

"Do you think they know what you did?"

"It's incredibly unlikely, and even if they did- they would have to prove it." Balthazar pointed out. Attunement was hard enough to detect, even more difficult to prove. For now the issue was at rest. Balthazar would keep watch on the progress of the mining operation so long as the camp did not move and Henri remained involved. It was not the resolution he wanted, but it was better than nothing.

word count: 716

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: More Than One Way To...

Balthazar:

Knowledge:
Attunement: The Frequency of Henri Wagstaff
Attunement: The Frequency of The University Mining Camp in the Scalvoris Mountains

Loot: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: 5, for trying to intimidate Dean Wagstaff and refusing his offer.
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

- - -
Comments: After the last thread I was rather curious about how Balthazar would react to Dean Wagstaff’s decision.

You described Balthazar’s disappointment and his frustration very well in my opinion!

For a moment, I wondered if he’d attempt to persuade the Dean to offer him a better deal, but he’s right – he can get the money somewhere else.

I also found the scene where Robin and Balthazar talked about what had happened quite interesting. I’m glad that he took Robin’s advice and apologized to the Dean for being rude.

The way that Balthazar attuned to the Dean and the camp at the end of the thread makes me wonder if there’ll be a sequel sometime, even though you stated that it was the final thread in the review request.

Please submit this thread to the Impact Tracker. It seems like something that might have an impact!

With that being said, enjoy your rewards!

P.S.: You can also find the XP and the Renown for this thread in your UCP!
word count: 221

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”