Merchant Arrival

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect

Moderators: Squirrel, Tempest

Tempest
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Staff

Merchant Arrival

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm

30th of Ashan 720

The ship sails could be seen on the horizon early in the morning on the thirtieth of Ashan. The city buzzed with excitement knowing there would be goods within their hulls. Rumors had been spread of even more mystical type items perhaps being on board ready to be sold to Viden. Citizens ran around preparing their shops, inns, taverns, and general stores. There was an air of excitement that reverberated through the entire city, and the academy was included in that air. The students ran about talking about what could possibly be coming on the ships that go around.

A couple of girls talked about the clothes they had gotten on previous ships. Some talked about cool plants that they had tried to make survive in Viden’s climate. Many talked about rumors that went to the darker side of things. Would there truly be cursed items on the ships? Would the rumors all be false about items holding some kind of magic? In a short time, all those questions would be answered soon. By the time the sun was getting close to mid sky the ships had docked; and the merchants were setting up their “shop” area. Some items were still held on the ship were a trader could take the most interested to see them.

The students were seen flooding the area where the traders had their normal wares set up on the docks away from the ships. One captain stood back at the gangplank up to his ship and watched closely seeing who would come forward. A young woman had several items shown in glass cases, most were jewelry that she did not want to have stolen. A hairpin with an ornate design not native to Viden, a pair of earrings that seemed to match the same design as the hairpin. But if asked, the woman spoke about even more amazing treasures hidden within the hull of the ship behind her.

She denied many that had come up to inquire about going aboard. It was as if the woman knew who could handle seeing the items and who could not. A bright smile lit her face as a couple walked up to her though it was clear they were not together. One she recognized from the rumor mill around the world, Faith Augustine. The man that headed her direction was a mystery in her mind. He seemed strong, well put together, and very smart from a first glance.

“Welcome welcome! It is an honor to meet you Mrs Augustine. I never thought I would meet you myself,” the woman began, “welcome to you as well sir. How can I help you both?”
word count: 456
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: Merchant Arrival

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Hello!

It all seemed most odd to Faith. People could get so agitated about things. Material objects which were, even those with deep personal meaning, only ever things. Transitory, breakable, lose-able and - fundamentally - unimportant things. The rush for these ships had been something she had no intention of getting involved in, it simply held no interest for her- yet, somehow here she was. Walking along and swept up in the crowd, Faith was deep in conversation with Doran. Their shared study of medicine, of science generally, meant that they were able to discuss issues and topics which normally Faith could only speak of with Padraig. Because most people - she did not like to say it, but it was true - simply didn't understand.

"I think that, if we got the glass from Egilrun, we could look at that. Alchemical enhancements like a hawk's vision might help. Padraig has some goggles which magnify more ...." Faith was chatting, they were thinking about how to make a magnifier which saw things more closely than even the existing ones and, suddenly, she stopped. "How did we get here?" Faith asked. Come to that, where 'here' was quickly became another issue. "I feel it only fair to warn you," Faith said quietly, looking at Doran with a twinkle of amusement in her eyes. "I have completely zero sense of direction. It isn't that I have a poor one, I have the very opposite of one. I got lost three times trying to find your office," she was being entirely serious, and so she added. "Please don't let me get lost here. Or, well, I already am. I'm sticking with you." And that was very much Faith's philosophy. Padraig, were he here, would recognise that she was completely unaware in terms of her sense of direction and so she did what she always did. Stuck with someone who had more of a clue than her.

Frankly, that was anyone at all.

They found themselves at a stall and Faith looked at the items in the glass case. She smiled at the woman who seemed to recognise her (it was something Faith would never get used to, she was sure) and then Faith made sure to introduce Doran, "This is Professor Thetys," Faith said quietly with a slight smile. "And you are?" Faith offered her hand to shake and she looked with interest at the hair pin. "This pattern, it's tiny roses," she said and she smiled. "My daughter's name is Rose. This pin is beautiful." As for the treasures in the back, Faith glanced at Doran. He was her way out of here and she wasn't going anywhere he wasn't.

Never, after all, argue with the one with the sense of direction. That was something she'd learned a long time ago. So, she looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Are you interested in looking at the other wares?" She considered that there might, after all, be something alchemical.
word count: 518
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: +431
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 26

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:57 am

There was an almost tangible air of excitement that reverberated through the city of Viden that trial – and that kept the Mortalborn’s students from focusing on the task at hand. They were normally quite attentive and enthusiastic about alchemy; this time, they barely paid attention to what he was saying though. Eventually, he decided to just dismiss them as there would be no point in continuing when they couldn’t concentrate. He did briefly think about taking a look at the merchant ships that had arrived early in the morning himself, but then again, it was highly unlikely that any of the magic items that they had supposedly brought were genuine or worked as intended.

Besides that, he had little interest in acquiring jewelry or clothes. There were other things that he found much more exciting and inspiring, such as the discussions with the woman that walked next to him. He hadn’t thought that he would enjoy Faith Augustin’s company quite as much, but she was likely the only person in Viden, besides Llyr, that could keep up with him. The Mortalborn who had been reluctant to display any kind of emotion in the past, was smiling, and sometimes even laughing, and talking quite animatedly and barely paying attention to where they were going because the conversation was too interesting.

“Glass from Egilrun might work”, he agreed and inclined his head. “As for your husband’s goggles, I would very much like to take a look at them sometime. Are they alchemical? There are also certain reagents that could potentially sharpen one’s vision”, he continued.

When his companion stopped abruptly, he did so as well. He turned to face her for a moment, raising an eyebrow questioningly as he did so as he wondered what exactly was going on, before he took a look around and admitted, his tone of voice tinged with just a hint of amusement, “I’m not entirely sure where we are. I think that we might have turned a wrong corner.” Having said that, he let his gaze drift across the buildings that surrounded them once more in order to find out if any of them looked familiar.

“I won’t let you get lost”, he assured her. A moment later, his eyes suddenly lit up. “I think I know where we are now”, he told her. “We are somewhere near the harbor”, he informed her, thinking about the ships that his students and colleagues had been talking about all morning long again. He could already see their masts in the distance, and he could hear the voices of the people that were inspecting all the goods that they had brought.

“Since we are already here, we might as well take a look”, he decided a few moments later, when they were approaching the traders. He wasn’t offended that the woman that had addressed them had recognized Faith and not him. On the contrary, he was quite happy about it. In Etzos he had been considered a great hero – because of something that he regretted deeply nowadays and that he wished he were able to undo. He considered people not recognizing to be far preferable to that. He did smile lightly when Faith introduced him though and inclined his head in a greeting before he waited for the woman to speak again and, perhaps, show them her other wares.
word count: 577

Items

Ring of Reversal: Doran owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Sesser

Ever Alluring I: The bearer has an enhanced constitution, staying strong and healthy in conditions where others would wilt and fall ill. Scars never remain, disease rarely seems to visibly touch the bearer, and he/she recovers from injuries much faster than the average member of their race. The bearer seems to age more slowly, though the effect is superficial rather than biological. In addition, everyone encountered is subconsciously attracted to the bearer, even those of incompatible sexual orientation. Those of alternate tastes may not feel compelled to flirt or pursue the marked, but the spark of incomprehensible arousal, however slight, is there all the same.
Tempest
General Staff
Plot Notes

Staff

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:43 am

“It is a pleasure to meet you as well sir. Do have a look at my wares, though I believe you two would be more interested in what lies within the ship. The captain needs to approve you both coming with me. Mia! Come watch the stall, excuse me for but a moment,” the woman said and bowed quickly running off.

The woman could be seen speaking with the captain at the end of the gangplank. He looked over seeing who the pair were and seemed to nod instantly. Moving quickly, she appeared before the pair once again with a smile.

“Sorry it has been really crazy today. My name is Xilbaba, the captain is my husband. He wanted me to watch for those that would put our more exotic wares to good use. Please please come with me,” Xilbaba stated and waved for them to follow her.

The woman seemed to bounce on her toes excited to finally get a chance to show people their more exciting wares. Many of the crew members that were relaxing nodded to the pair or raised up a mug of what appeared to be ale. It was clear they were very happy to be docked for a while even in a cold place like Viden. Very carefully, the woman made her way below deck and turned to make sure both were making it down okay. Once they were all down, Xilbaba lead them just a few feet before opening a door to a side room.

“By all means you two first. Let me know if there is anything that you like,” the woman stated.

When the pair entered, the room was filled with miscellaneous items that all held a unique flare to them. One a plain looking sword, another was a hairpin that was different than any technique used in Viden. If the pair branched off from each other they would each come across one item that seemed to call to them. On one side of the room is a stone that stands out against the shelf it is on. The colors are blue, white, green, and brown all swirled together against the rough rock like texture.

“That is a good one Mrs Faith. I heard rumors that when used correctly it can control the weather. Though I doubt it to actually be true,” Xilbaba stated from where she was.

On the other side of the room Doran found himself surrounded by a sword, a beautiful necklace, but what attracted his eye was a mirror. Not just any mirror but one made of solid black wood, the glass was not the normal clear glass used in other mirrors, but this was a black glass that was more smooth than anything else he had ever touched.

“Beautiful is it not? The frame is made a famous black wood the maker would not disclose the location of. The mirror glass however is an onyx material that just makes you want to stare at it for hours,” Xilbaba said still watching from a distance.
word count: 515
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:51 pm

Little bit intrigued.....

Faith watched the exchange between Doran and the frankly rather excitable woman who scurried off to speak to the captain. Then, there was Xibaba, the captain, and this strange cave of wonders. Faith shot a grin to Doran and she went along with it. Mrs Faith, Xibaba called her and Faith smiled; it made her like the woman a little more, her taking the time to remember that she was married. Other than when it was annoying people in the Academy, Faith was very much more proud of being Mrs, than she was of almost anything else.

Almost. Of course there were three children at home and Faith couldn't be more proud of being their mother. But, right now, they were in this cave of wonders - or cabin of, to be precise, and she looked around. The stone was interesting - and controlling the weather? Faith raised an eyebrow at that. "I'm not sure that's a good idea, is it? Like throwing a stone in to a stream, it would surely ripple out?" But still. There was something very true about Faith - always - and that was that she looked where she wasn't supposed to, examined what wasn't in front of her. As a doctor, she often had to explore what was beneath the 'in front of you' and consider the holistic situation. Also, of course, there was the fact that Faith was, when you stripped away the tendency to kindness, compliance, and all that went with being a medic and a philanthropist - Faith was as contrary as contrary could be.

So, she nodded at the description of the stone. "How much is it, please?" she asked. But then, there was more to be asked, and she explained. "I have a husband and three children. If I go home with a gift for one, I go with a gift for four. Or none at all." There it was, plain and simple. "Could you tell me about the sword, the necklace, and the hairpin, please?" Not aware that it was in any way connected to Doran for the moment, she was going to ask about the mirror, too, but then Xibaba spoke to Doran, explaining it.

Being who she was, of course, Faith didn't touch any of the items. She was very well aware that this was a little bit odd and so she listened and she asked questions, and then she glanced at Doran with a small smile on her face. Ever polite, she waited until it was quiet and then she asked, "Anything here that's piquing your interest?" Faith would never be pushy about things and she had no intention of making a purchase until he had explained what - if anything - he wanted to buy. In truth, she thought it unlikely that there would be something for all four of her people, and so she wasn't expecting to leave with anything.

But she'd see. Certainly, the draw of that stone was there, and it pulled her eyes to it. But Faith Augustin was a disciplined individual and she had no intention of being bamboozled.
word count: 539

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: +431
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 26

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 am

The woman that had greeted them was rather excitable, the Mortalborn observed. He didn’t mind though. On the contrary, he approved of her being so enthusiastic about her job and her wares, and he could not help but wonder what exactly she was going to show the two of them. He hadn’t been particularly interested in the supposed magic items before, but now that he was here, he was a little curious. He looked at Faith for a moment and returned the grin before he inclined his head and followed the two women down the gangplank.

“There is no need to apologize, Xilbaba”, he replied as the merchant spoke about things being crazy in a deep and utterly polite tone of voice. “I am just grateful to get the chance to take a look at your more exotic wares.” Having said that, the son of Ziell made his way down below deck, occasionally nodding at a crew member and smiling very lightly when they raised a mug to Faith and him while he studied his surroundings.

“You have an unusual name, by the way”, he remarked to the woman once they had made it down safely. “Where do you come from, if you don’t mind me asking?” he continued and raised an eyebrow fractionally. He was not trying to engage in small talk – he rarely did such. He was genuinely interested in this woman who dealt in supposedly exotic and magic items and her story. If she didn’t answer, he wouldn’t pry though.

A moment later, they stopped in front of a side room, and his attention was diverted from Xilbaba either way. He let his gaze drift across the various items that were on display, occasionally furrowing his brow fractionally when he noticed something in particular. As a swordsman, he was rather interested in the sword – until his eyes caught a mirror – a mirror that was unlike any mirror that he had ever seen before and that was as black as the night itself.

He looked at it for a few moments before he pulled his gaze away again, but he didn’t touch it. Just like Faith, he was a fairly disciplined individual; besides, he considered it to be a sign of bad behaviour to just touch things that didn’t actually belong to him. Despite his not touching the mirror, the expression on his face was one of calm curiosity though, and he smiled lightly as he agreed with the woman, “It is indeed beautiful. How much would you like to have for it? Does it have any interesting effects, like the stone that Mrs. Augustin just looked at, by the way?” he wanted to know.

There had been a time when he had not cared about such luxury items as mirrors made of rare wood and onyx; Xilbaba’s mirror would be an interesting addition to his apartment in the Obsidian Prism though; besides, there was something about it that almost seemed to call to him.

It had been a while since an object had had that kind of effect on him.

When Faith turned to him, he smiled at her before he remarked, “I’m most interested in the mirror at the moment, although the sword has caught my attention as well. You saw it first though, so if you want to buy it, it is yours. I wouldn’t want to deprive a member of your family of a gift”, he remarked in a tone that was fairly light-hearted, especially for a man like him whose moods had often tended towards the negative in the past. He had meant what he had said though. If Faith wanted to have the sword, it would be hers.
word count: 635

Items

Ring of Reversal: Doran owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Sesser

Ever Alluring I: The bearer has an enhanced constitution, staying strong and healthy in conditions where others would wilt and fall ill. Scars never remain, disease rarely seems to visibly touch the bearer, and he/she recovers from injuries much faster than the average member of their race. The bearer seems to age more slowly, though the effect is superficial rather than biological. In addition, everyone encountered is subconsciously attracted to the bearer, even those of incompatible sexual orientation. Those of alternate tastes may not feel compelled to flirt or pursue the marked, but the spark of incomprehensible arousal, however slight, is there all the same.
Tempest
General Staff
Plot Notes

Staff

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:20 am

Xilbaba smiled when the man asked where she was from. It was not often that people would care to know her story, so it was a nice change for the moment. The woman was not ashamed of her lineage or where she had come from. Flipping her long hair out of her face a brilliant smile was present looking back at him.

“I am actually from Rhakros by birth, but after I was old enough I began sailing with my husband,” Xilbaba stated and watched them.

The woman looked over at Faith next when it came time for her questions to be answered. The rumors did make it seem like it was more dangerous after it being pointed out. Letting out a nervous laugh, the woman cleared her voice while looking Mrs faith. There was far more dangerous items in the cabin that was for certain.

“I do not know if the rumors or claims are true about the item. I know it is actually one of our less deadly items. Oh, of course I understand having to bring everyone something. I have them here. If I may be so bold what are your children?” Xilbaba asked.

She entered and walked around getting the hair pin first putting it on a clean table where Faith could look at it. The woman looked over to Doran while she was in the process of gathering the items for Faith to examine. Her gaze slowly moved to look at the mirror almost in a trance while holding the box that contains the necklace. The tone in her voice became deep while still being soft.

“It is said to show you the absolute worst side of yourself. I will not allow my men to look directly at it while cleaning it,” Xilbaba explained before finally pulling herself away shaking her head, “sorry I did not mean to be so dark. Here is the necklace, we know for a fact that it glows in the dark when exposed to sunlight. We do not know for how long though.”

Turning around to retrieve the sword, “the hairpin is supposed to make even the most ugly woman look like the most beautiful woman in the room. We haven’t been able to test that because the crew is full of men, and I don’t do hair pins. Personally between us, I don’t think it does anything. However to keep from insulting our sellers. We put it in here, the same thing with the sword. I don’t recall the outlandish claims made about it. But I know our crew has done all kinds of things with it. And nothing has ever happened. Normally both the stone and the mirror would fetch a prince’s ransom. However being as how I trust you both more than any normal person walking around in Viden I will give you both discounted prices. Now as to your items Mrs Faith, if you have two girls I do have another item instead of the hair pin that they may enjoy.”
word count: 517
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Mon May 04, 2020 3:43 pm

Little bit intrigued.....
Doran spoke about the sword, and Faith immediately shook her head. "I am more than happy for you to purchase it, if it is your wish," she said quietly. There was just something about all this which didn't quite sit right with her. "My eldest daughter is seven," or thereabouts, but Faith didn't explain the weirdness of Rose's birth and subsequent life, "and my twins - a boy and a girl - are three," Lots of children and noise in her house, and Faith would have it no other way. Yet, as much as she loved her children there was a reticence to her right now, to purchase anything here. Something niggled in the back of her brain, something which put her off. She wasn't sure what it was, until Xilbaba spoke again, showing Faith the necklace.

"You don't do hairpins?" That was, without a doubt, the weakest excuse Faith had ever heard for a hairpiece not being tried out. But, when she considered it, none of these items were tested or tried out - not one of them had any evidence of being what Xilbaba said they were. Of course, like a good saleswoman, Xilbaba said so - but somehow said it in such a way that the instinct was still to believe that the item was what she said. Yet. "So, if it isn't tested, and it has not been proven to be what you say it is," Faith gestured around the room and added, very clearly and with a slight raise of an eyebrow, "which is the case for every item in the collection. Since that is the case, why would they command such a high price?" Faith looked at Xilbaba, and she then turned her attention to Doran with a glance. She didn't say any more about what she had realised, she knew that the man there with her was more than bright enough to understand exactly what she was saying.

With a smile at Xilbaba, because she was only doing her job after all, Faith shook her head. "I thank you for your attention this trial, but I won't be making a purchase," this woman dealt in illusion - in making things seem to be one thing or showing what they would be like if they were another. Putting a sheen and glamour on things was Xilbaba's job. But Faith had no interest in being drawn in to it at this point. So, with a friendly smile at the complete stranger whose word she would not believe - it had been the Immortals-awful reason for the hairpiece not being tested which had done it, Faith turned again to Doran. "What about you, Doran? Are you planning on purchasing anything?" After all, that was entirely up to him.

She was just very clear what it was that she would, and would not, be doing. And right now, Faith would be making no purchases.
word count: 508

~ Rharne HQ
Tempest
General Staff
Plot Notes

Staff

Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 pm

Name: Faith Augustin

Knowledge: Rhetoric: 1
Medicine: 1
Negotiation: 1
Logic: 2

Loot: nothing
Injuries: none
Renown: + 5
Magic XP: none

- - -
Comments: It’s sad to see Faith not get anything this time. By all means if the items are still on her mind later on I am happy to figure out a way for her to get them.

Name: Doran

Knowledges: Logic: 1
Medicine: 1
Socialization: 2

Loot: nothing
Injuries: none
Renown: + 5
Magic XP: none

- - -
It was interesting to see how Doran and Faith interacted with the very excited Xilbaba. The same goes for Doran as with Faith, if you want the mirror again later I am happy to work with you on how to get it.

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM. Thanks!
word count: 156

Return to “Viden”