• Memory • [Warrick] Eye of the Tiger

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Oberan
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Warrick] Eye of the Tiger

24th of Ymiden 643

Rising from the ground, Oberan felt his father’s hand firmly around his upper arm.

Up you go, boy,” the man said.

Back on his feet, the man let go, and the child tentatively felt his ribs, flinching as the bruise throbbed under his touch.

The latest blow from his training would produce a new ache for several trials, not something he looked forward to.

Street thugs and other scum won’t let up when you’re down, Bran,” his father spoke sternly, brow furrowed.

Did it even matter that Oberan had heard those same words many times before? Memory was and had never been his father’s strong suit, but it seemed to have become worse recently.

My boy, you are Audrae’s son--”

Time and time again, that line would be repeated as well. Always the same story, always told when he didn’t perform well enough. It was supposed to fill him with pride, and it had the first few times, but when it was repeated at nauseum?

“—took you in because she wanted me to,” he continued, unaware Oberan wasn’t listening.

"My queen," Oberan’s father would say, "she put her faith in me, provided me with an opportunity I was not worthy of". Did he know he’d repeated it every single time he started one of his rants? Did he know how much of a bother it was to listen to it every single time, lest Oberan be punished for not respecting Audrae’s greatness and generosity.

Chances were slim. The man’s memory was riddled with holes large enough to comfortably push a herd of cows through.

“--went out of her way to give me an opportunity to redeem myself,” Lethius finished. His eyes seemed to water, though it could have been a trick of the light.

The man gestured for Oberan to get back in position, to get ready for what came next.

Distance is important,” Lethius said, nodding to himself. “The distance between you and your opponent, the distance you or your opponent can cover with attacks –the range, if you will. It’s important.”

Now the boy was listening, nodding as his father spoke, trying to soak up the information like a sponge.

I’m even inclined to say that being aware of this at all times is the most important part of the battle. If you know the ideal distance to strike, you can become untouchable. Monitor the distance between you to stay out of the range of your opponent. Dash in and out to strike when the opportunity presents itself.” He gestured with his finger.

Back and forth, back and forth.

On my mark, you will circle around me. Try to keep far enough away. I will move as well, so pay attention.” He waved for the boy to take his position, then gave the signal.

Feet shuffled through the dust as Oberan strafed around his father’s looming figure, keeping an eye out for—

Just as he noticed a lapse in concentration within his own mind, his father moved.

A fist struck him on the forehead, and the boy flinched back.

Man up,” the man said, an odd expression on his face as he spoke, as if he felt the phrase wasn’t used correctly.

And try again. Pay attention this time.”

His father narrowed his eyes.

Will do, father,” the boy said, getting back in position when he was told to do so.

To say it is one thing,” his father said sternly, “to actually do it is another. It’s not something we can’t fix with loads of practice though.” He paused, spacing out for a moment. “You know what your mother said to you when she told me to raise you?” Another pause, his eyes fixed on Oberan’s.

Survive,” the boy stated with certainty, and his father nodded.
Last edited by Oberan on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 651
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Oberan
Approved Character
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

So then you know exactly what to do,” Lethius nodded, content with the answer given to him, then making a gesture with his hand.

Many times of being told the same thing made it easy for the boy to respond to his father’s questions in the exact way the man wanted him to.

It was nice to be able to steer clear of disappointment and scorn for giving the correct response, but Oberan would have rather wanted his father’s memory to be in proper working order. The boy felt as if he cheated every time, but when he’d tried to make his father aware of the holes in his memory, the man had waved it away dismissively.

Happens to the best of us”, he’d said with a smile. “It’s normal to forget something you’ve said arcs ago.” Lethius had patted his son’s head and exuded such fatherly warmth that Oberan hadn’t had the determination to break his confidence. It’d only been yestertrial.

Too much distractions to focus clearly.

Fast came his father’s blow, Oberan hadn’t been paying enough attention. Had they already started? Had the boy even moved when prompted? He hadn’t been ready! Still wasn’t, even!

You think your opponent will wait for you to get ready before attacking you?”

Trade one position for one out of harm’s way, the boy’s mind instructed, and Oberan strafed, barely managing to shift enough to the side to narrowly dodge the coming punch. He felt the air ruffle his hair and caress his cheek. The thought that’d popped into his head was right. Surprise attacks were a staple in battle for a reason. The whole point was to slip past the defenses of the opponent, which required being unpredictable.

Your opponent will strike when they think you’re not expecting it. Do the same!”

Passion blazed in the child’s eyes when he realized he wasn’t really thinking at all. He moved in accordance to what had been hammered into him ever since he’d been old enough to soak up knowledge. ‘Always take the advantage, don’t let your opponent have it’, ‘When fighting, your opponent will make a mistake, which will grant you an opening. Seize it!’

For such a young boy to come into contact with the exhilaration that came with your body responding to stimuli in a way it had never before, to see the fruit of his training pay of in such a splendid manner? His confidence was bumped up several notches, and he could see it clearly now. Something he’d dreamed of ever since training began. Something that would make himself, his father, and certainly his mother proud.

Glory.

Don’t celebrate your victory before the opponent is truly defeated.”

Lose your cool, lose the battle.”

Your advice comes too late, he thought, already having done both.

Grip around his wrist. Pain.

On the ground, he felt it press against his cheek, he tasted the dust that’d gotten in his mouth.

The uncomfortable pulling sensation of his arm being twisted, increasing when he struggled. He yelled, as he squirmed, but his father didn’t listen.

Dreams are fine to have, they give you a goal to reach. However, when the dream clouds the reality right before your eyes, then it becomes problematic.”

“—of me! Get off of me!” the boy continued, not in a mood to lend an ear to his father’s advice.

The man sighed and released the child, who immediately got back to his feet and began spitting in an attempt to get the sand out of his mouth.

Past you would have cried or thrown a tantrum. Ah, how far we’ve come.”

You did this on purpose!” Oberan accused, having figured something out. Lethius merely laughed. The boy looked rather angry still, and the man shrugged again.

Must I remind you that you need to always keep your own limits and ability in mind? Not only your own, but also those of your opponent.” He gave the boy a stern look. “You saw an opening, and your body responded. You were so caught up in it that you didn’t think twice about it. You didn’t see that it could be a trap. In a real--”

“’—fight you would be dead now’,” Oberan finished with a roll of his eyes. “But we’re not--”

Just because we are not actually fighting or sparring does not mean you shouldn’t pay attention. Each moment presents an opportunity to make mistakes. And every mistake presents an opportunity to learn.”

To think he'd heard this at least a dozen times as well, and he'd still not learned that he'd get this answer when he tried the "but we're not actually fighting now" argument. Yet he knew the second part of his father's response by heart, a piece of wisdom he would probably never get out of his brain.

“’Keep on making mistakes, and you will continue to grow’.” Lethius nodded at that. He squatted down and wrapped his arm around the boy’s shoulders.

Them versus us.” He was expecting his father to say something along those lines. He usually did when he pulled Oberan close like that, especially after something the boy considered a failure. “It’s them versus us out here, Bran,” his father would say, “and they don’t think you have what it takes. But I do. I believe you can do it. It’s hard work, you will make mistakes and you will fail. Learn from it. Get stronger. Let it be the fertile soil on which you grow.” Now none of that came. There was only silence until Oberan broke it. He felt like he should say something. “I won’t fail you father. I will make you proud. I swear that for as long as I’m ali--”

”—Alive, you won’t fail? No, Bran. You will fail. Many, many times. But you will never fail me.” His smile warmed the tiny Mortalborn’s heart and gave him hope for the future.
word count: 1030
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Oberan

Knowledge:
Strength: Combat training
Unarmed: the importance of distance
Unarmed: Know the range of your opponent
Unarmed: Circling your opponent
Unarmed: Use an opening to strike
Unarmed: Know the limits of your capabilities Points: 10 Comments: I really enjoyed reading this thread for review. You've struck a very nice balance between skill building and insight into what makes Oberan who he is. Well written, nice flow and a really good read. :)
Now that your review has been completed, please insert this nifty little code into your review request, which is here.

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7905[/img][/center]
word count: 109
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”