• Closed • The King of Hearts

Tristan, Celeste, Xander, Idgaffe, Hart, Velaine.

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Mural
Prophet of Old
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

The King of Hearts

KING OF HEARTS - 34th SAUN 717

[/color]
Noble marriages were rare occurrences, Royal ones even more so. For most, they came only once in a lifetime, yet this was the second time Cassander would be saying his vows. Normally, the commoners would have deemed this an excellent opportunity to celebrate and seize the chance to drink themselves into oblivion, but this was an unusual union in all regards. The staunch Rynlists among the general population made their thoughts on the whole affair well known, and even some more moderate voices had joined in slanderous protest against the marriage.

But what did the King care for the opinion of the mob? Had half of them not already united against him in the civil war? And had he not defeated them utterly? There was no doubt his marriage had angered many people, but their numbers paled in comparison to how many had risen against him before. This too would pass, he thought. The anger directed at him would subside and the plebs would find something else to be outraged about. Perhaps a few seasons of lowered taxes would help encourage them to see things from the right perspective.

Cassander had left most of the preparation to his future wife, he had too many matters to tend to already. She, in turn, had made a few observations about the conduct of Xander Andaris and his wife, Celeste. Their marriage had been a shallow copy of the masked ball and presented a difficult challenge to the future Queen. She could please the general public if she kept up with the trend of humble and pious festivities, or she could humiliate the freshly wed couple and put their riches to shame. Both options were equally tempting, and both were equally unsuitable. In the end, she decided on a middle ground. The festivities would be moderate by the standards of nobles, but plenty coin would be spent on the hundred lucky commoners that had received her personal invitation. Furthermore, her husband-to-be had approved her request to open all taverns and inns to the general public and let them drink and eat their fill at the Crown’s expense. Thus, neither nobles nor commoners would have much to whinge about.

---

The twin suns were merciful, the days of unbearable heat that had caused great fires in four of the regions were behind them. But the King sweated. He was alone in his room, save for Harley, the dog Tristan had gifted him, resting on his bed. Bit by bit, the wedding drew nearer and with every passing trill, the responsibility resting on his shoulders grew heavier.

Back when his father and mother had still been alive, he’d addressed large crowds on occasion without breaking into a sweat, and just an arc ago, he’d outsmarted Veljorn and served as the usurper’s servant in disguise, risking life and limb in the process. Then too, the salt hadn’t been trickling onto his brow. But now, now he sighed endlessly, and puffed his cheeks before the mirror. Emerson was sweet and kind, but she could not comfort him, nor would she if she knew what he'd planned.

He wondered, at times, how many people truly believed his love for the Empress was real. Perhaps he had inadvertently succeeded in convincing her too. She was beautiful, there was no doubt about that, and many boys his age would gladly swap places with him, but she was his elder by far and he knew full well what she was after.

His thoughts swiveled around to Tristan, his ally, who’d certainly be present. He was glad to have a friend rule in the unruly East, it was at least one burden off his shoulders. Still, he could not reasonably claim to truly know the eccentric Venoran and hesitated to think of Tristan as a truly close friend.

A few more names crossed his mind before he concluded, for the umpteenth time that trial, that there was no one he could lean on, no one he could utterly open his heart to. Perhaps it was the ill fate of Kings, to see enemies everywhere, to never be at ease, and to have a stiff rear from sitting on cold and uncomfortable thrones.

He stepped away from the mirror and walked over to the bed where the mischievous dog greeted him with lazy eyes. “I’m glad you’re here at least,” he whispered as he tickled the dog behind the ear. “I just wish they would be too.”

His eyes flicked over to the regal portrait of his father and mother, hanging high up the wall opposite his royal bed.

--

The nobility had been invited to the nearest shores, just outside Andaris City where they were instructed to wait for the arrival of the King and Empress. The commoners that had been invited by Emerson would join them later in Andaris temple. Upon their arrival each noble would be checked for possession of weapons by tall and silent guards from the Iron Hand. Each of the attending nobles, or couples, was assigned a personal servant they’d been cleared of weapons. Tristan was blessed with the company of a sprightly young fellow who, upon discovering he’d been assigned to the eccentric artist, appeared close to a nervous breakdown. Perhaps the situation would be confusing to Tristan for a bit, but when the boy finally had mustered the courage to ask for the man’s signature, Tristan would understand him to be an excitable fan! The boy held out a piece of paper, his hands covering whatever else was already written upon it, and practically begged Tristan for his signature. “I’ve tried acting,” he confessed, “but I am still not as good as you, I’m sure! I dream of being in one of your plays someday!”

A woman, dressed in meticulously cleaned formal attire approached Xander and Celeste and graced their presence with a proper curtsy before laying out the schedule to them. First, the King and future Queen would arrive on the beach to partake in the ritual of setting a boat aflame to burn away the past, though there would be a slight twist on the ritual, she forewarned. Then, they would all head towards Andaris temple by the most fashionable mode of transportation, though she would not explain what exactly that entailed. After the ceremony had been completed in the temple, there would be a great feast and banquet in the palace, and they were expected to give their gift to the freshly wed King and Queen.

Velaine had been assigned an older servant who explained the same schedule to her in his gruff voice, wizened by age. He seemed particularly delighted to be in her presence and revealed himself to have once have served under her father, when she was still a babe. When they found themselves somewhat apart from the rest of the nobility he lowered his voice. “I’d be on your guard if I were you. The King is planning something… I don’t know what, but I can sense it in my bones. An unpredictable man is a dangerous man, I say.”

Idgaffe was greeted by a young but experienced servant who seemed somewhat insulted to have been assigned to a lesser noble. For up and coming servants, there was little glory in serving house of Endor who were more mockingly referred to as cavemen in higher circles. The snobby servant dutifully explained the schedule to Idgaffe before excusing himself to tend to a “pressing matter.” He did not return, leaving Idfaffe free to mingle with the other nobles in attendance.

Hart would find himself far removed from the beaches, and far from any nobility. The Alliance, or what was left of it, had poured all its resources into seizing the unique chance presented to them. Their leader, Gilwyn, had passed away in a fire in Ashan that arc, but his legacy in Andaris temple still remained. Who would search a temple for a hidden stash of weapons, belonging to the Alliance? Gilwyn had only entrusted this secret to Hook before his passing, and now the prostitute was relaying the information to Hart with an ugly smirk plastered on her face. They stood in a back alley, ten bits removed from Andaris temple, but Hook still kept her voice down.

“It’s all taken care of,” she assured Hart as she handed him a forged invitation along with a bundle of clothes. “Go to the bath house and clean up, I want you smelling like daffodils. After you’re done, put on those clothes and head towards the monastery, you’ll recieve further instruction there.”

Gilwyn’s was not requesting anything, she was demanding. For once she was glad Hart was such a softie, it made him rather easy to pressure. Still, she hoped he’d have the gut to carry out his gruesome task. Before Hart left, she let out a short whistle to regain his attention. “Don’t get any funny ideas. Our agents are everywhere.” After that ominous warning, she vanished.

--

It was noon by the time the Empress and the King arrived on the shores just outside the capital as they arrived by closed carriage each. Cassander down the main road while Emerson’s carriage drew up from the opposite side. The King’s carriage was followed by the full might of the Ouroboros, numbering about a hundred in total. All were decked out in their impressive armour, each of them sworn to protect the King with their lives. They sat astride mighty warhorses while a small force of Skyriders circled above to keep the skies clear from danger. Yet there was a notable absence among the many helmeted faces of the guard. Those who knew him well would be unable to find Andraska’s face in the column.

Only the nobility attended this first part of the ceremony, and prior to the couple’s arrival, they had been ushered a little way onto the beach by polite and helpful servants, assisted by a small force from the Ironhand, dressed up in ceremonial attire. There were a few more notable absentees among the nobility. Ebony Venora was not present, nor were Andre or Emma Krome. They had each cited old age as the reason for their respective absences, but some rumour was abuzz if this was really the case with Ebony. One had to wonder, with all the horrendous stories about Venora brought before the courts, if Ebony was not secretly preparing to beat some sense into her family with her walking stick.

But any lingering thoughts about the where’s and why’s of the absent Duke and Duchesses were quickly discarded as both carriages were opened. There was a trill of hesitation in Cassander’s step as he presented himself to the gathered nobility. His clothes were of the finest make, green with golden trimming, and the crown sat snuggly atop his neatly combed head. For all the criticisms leveraged at Cassander, it could no longer be said that he was just a boy, there was a regal and mature look about him now, something determined in his eyes. Yet it was the reveal of Emerson Sands that drew applause from some in the crowd. The dress she wore was perfectly tailored to her slender form and her face was surprisingly unveiled. Even Cassander appeared taken aback before he regained his composure and greeted the crowd in his youthful voice.

“Honoured guests,” he started as his gaze swept across the assembled nobility. He read their thoughts without the aid of any magic. A minority of them were sincere in the smiles they sent his way while the vast majority considered the whole marriage an affront, but one they’d permit. His eyes narrowed for a trill as he considered who among them were the conspirators vying for the throne. There was always someone. His head turned to Emerson as he squeezed the lie past his lips, “Love.”

Emerson replied with a sweet smile before his eyes returned to the crowd. “Some among you do not approve of this marriage,” his voice was stern. “To you I say, fear not. But before I speak of the future, before dear Emerson becomes Queen, I must clear you off your debts.” He folded his hands behind his back as he spoke, his voice was carried forward by the wind. “Some of you have rebelled against my reign, and I forgive you. Some of you have sinned, and I forgive you. Some of you,” his eyes turned to Emerson, “have gleaned something worthwhile in me. I forgive you too for that mistake, dear Emerson. Now, let us leave the past behind.”

An large, old sloop, filled with firewood, rested somewhat further along the shore, closer to the water. After a short march there, all nobility were handed a lit torch and asked to form a circle around the boat. This time it was Emerson who spoke first. “Let us burn the past, together, and let us kindle a new light into the world.”

OOC info

• Posting order will be established in the first round of posting, which is on first-come-first serve basis. So if Xander posts first and then Tristan, this will be the posting order for the remainder of the thread.
  • I am going to do my best to update this once every week, so the next post is planned for Tuesday the 5th of September unless everyone else has posted earlier, in which case I may post sooner. If you can't make it, let me know through PM and we'll figure a solution. It may be possible to skip one or two posts, but some shit's going to go down, so I'd highly recommend you stick around and enjoy the show :)
  • All nobles are expected to give gifts to the King and Queen at some point (I am deliberately being vague about when). It does not have to be expensive, nor should it be seperate gifts for the King and Queen. Try to think of something that your character would give to both of them, and remember, no one said it had to be a physical gift either :) Get creative!
  • Enjoy!
word count: 2394
Celeste Andaris
Approved Character
Profession: Vixen
Renown: 138
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The King of Hearts

Celeste was pregnant. That, she considered, as she and Xander made their way to the royal wedding, was like saying that the Immortals lived a bit longer than mortals. The doctor had suggested that they should really consider that there might be more than one baby in there, her middle seemed to be expanding on a trial-by-trial basis. As the swelling of her stomach grew, so too did her tolerance for heat diminish and Xander's over protective nature increase. It did not make for a happy woman, but Celeste did not show that to anyone, except of course, Xander. He was over protective, fussy and rather wild eyed with fear at the prospect of more than one baby but she could not wish for a more gentle or caring husband. He protected her and their babe and did so without hesitation. If he had his way, she would not be attending this wedding. Frankly, if she had her way, she wouldn't be, but this was too important an event to miss. In many ways, in the political arena, who was not there was as important or more so than who was.

The woman who had been assigned to them was perfectly nice and Celeste did her best to be friendly and accommodating. However, the young woman who looked to be about ready to pop (she had to constantly reassure Xander that no, she wasn't about to give birth. At it's earliest, it would be end of Vhalar) did ask, most politely. Would there be seating for the part on the beach? She didn't bother to explain why, she thought that was obvious. As for the most fashionable means of transportation, Celeste left it to Xander to quiz about that; she was sure that he would. Fashion was less important than safe and appropriate for a pregnant woman, after all.

With her arm in Xander's, Celeste went where she was supposed to go and did what she was supposed to do. However, it had to be said that their consideration of their pregnant guest, or lack thereof, did not go unnoticed. Celeste insisted that she was fine, no, she would go along with it, please don't worry to Xander, but she held tightly to him as they were marched to the sloop and the heat of the torches in the Saun suns was very close to too much. Still, she did her bit because, at the end of the trial, this was a wedding and that was that. Unless Xander insisted, Celeste was not inclined to make a fuss right at this moment.

So, she went along with it and held on to her husband. She was the very epitome of brave and did her best to ensure that she was seen not making a fuss. During her pregnancy, Celeste had discovered that being pregnant made even complete strangers feel protective and as though they were friends. People she had never met came up to her and thought it acceptable to put their hands on the bump. All it took was for her to look a little uncomfortable and she was the cause of concern in those who did not know her. So, at the heat of the torches on a Saun day, the pregnant Baroness most genuinely paled as a wave of dizziness hit her and held on to her husband as she swayed slightly. What she didn't do though, was make a fuss. No, let people see it for themselves.
word count: 591
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

The King of Hearts

Tristan didn’t protest against the royal marriage even though he wasn’t completely sure if Cassander and Emerson were really in love and even though he was quite aware of the political implications of their union. He liked Emerson, and he considered Cassander to be his friend. Besides, the Empress would be a much better queen than that terrible Freya!

He just hoped that there would be some sort of feast. Celeste Andaris’ wedding had been nice, and it had warmed his heart to see how much Xander and she liked each other, but he had missed the opportunity to eat and drink with the other guests, and the whole donating money to charity part had seemed weird to him. He already threw nels at poor people for fun anyway!

He had been about to use his questionable skill in alchemy to make an item that radiated cold (and possibly accidentally blow something up), but fortunately the worst of the heat seemed to have passed so that he could actually walk around outside without feeling as if he was going to pass out any trill now – and wear clothes that were appropriate for such an occasion.

He had worn the simplest outfit in his expansive wardrobe that had still been a very nice outfit for Celeste’s and Xander’s wedding, but for the royal wedding he was dressed in silk and velvet. Even his horse Maxos that had been named after Peake Maxos Andaris was dressed up. The huge black stallion had several silk ribbons in his mane.

“You don’t talk a lot”, Tristan remarked cheerfully as one of the guards checked him for weapons. He raised his arms and turned around so that the man could look at him from all sides because he was in a very helpful mood that trial and resisted the urge to poke the guard to get some sort of reaction from him. He couldn’t help but wonder if he was deaf though!

The servant that was assigned to him was also a bit weird, but he didn’t mind. His friend Cassander was getting married, so there was nothing that would be able to ruin his good mood that trial, besides he liked weird people! “Relax”, he said and put an arm on the young man’s shoulder. “I don’t bite … much.” It was just then that the servant asked him for his signature, and Tristan smiled all over his face. He absolutely loved having fans!

“Here you are!” he said and immediately signed the paper. “If you want to be in one of my plays, feel free to visit me in Oakleigh sometimes. I’m sure that I will be able find a role for you. And maybe we can go and drink something together after the wedding is over. You are too nervous. We need to do something about that!”

While he waited for the Empress and the King to arrive, Tristan tried to get to know the servant a bit better by asking him questions and watched the other nobles. Celeste Andaris looked very pregnant. She had apparently already enjoyed Xander’s company long before their wedding, but he didn’t mind. Tristan himself had a baby – and no wife at all!

He also noticed that his grandmother was missing which he found strange. Supposedly her absence had something to go with old age, but he didn’t believe that. Ebony Venora was in better shape than a lot of thirty arc olds! Maybe there was some sort of conspiracy going on?

He pondered that question for a while, but then they finally arrived, and he stopped thinking about an old people conspiracy and looked at his friend and his bride. Cassander looked every inch the king that he was, and Emerson … why was she not wearing a veil? He’d though that any man that looked at her face would get cursed. Was that not the case anymore???

While most of the nobles’ smiles seemed a little fake to him, Tristan’s smile was genuine. He was impressed by Cassander’s words. Tristan didn’t know if he’d be able to forgive the people that had rebelled against him. He’d probably try out his alchemy on them or drop a sculpture on their heads.

Cassander, he decided, was a true king and he’d do everything he could do protect him and be a good friend to him and show him that there was at least one noble that supported him. With that thought in mind he followed the other nobles to the sloop and accepted a torch.

He’d already attended enough weddings to know what would happen now, but he was excited nevertheless.
word count: 793
Hart
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The King of Hearts

"Speaking in Rakahi"
"Speaking in Common"
The closer this day had come the more sympathetic towards him Hook had seemed. She had made him feel that he wasn't alone.

Now she stood smirking at him, speaking of hidden weapons he would use to hurt someone, to kill that person, and she had played him for a fool.

What was it about her? Hart wondered, as the clothes were thrust into his arms along with the false invitation, sealed with wax, that would seal his fate. There had been something vulnerable about her, he considered as she gave her final threat. Something that wasn't caring but that wasn't hateful either; those big dark eyes that were uncertain sometimes, when she thought no one else could see.

Was it because she had been scared the night he'd met her, scared and hurt, and he had helped her; or because when he'd been scared and hurt she'd at least kept him company. When Pierce had been angry she hadn't intervened but she had looked at him while it happened, and it had seemed to Hart that she'd wanted to do something but couldn't. Surely Pierce would have killed her if she tried.

So maybe, Hart had begun to think, She's just as trapped as you are.

Now the day had come and her demeanor had changed once again. There was excitement underneath that grin and he was sure for once she wasn't acting. For the first time he saw how someone like Hook could possibly get along with someone like Pierce, and it wasn't because she was afraid of him or because she had to.

It was because they were the same.

Hart felt numb.

---

She had told him to wash up and get dressed and he did. He left his own clothes there in the bathhouse. She had told him to go to the monastery and he did that, too.

As he walked he kept thinking he could put an end to this, right now. He could refuse to take another step, he could go to a tavern and get drunk and wait for them to find him, or go to the docks and board a ship and leave, but he didn't.

Our agents are everywhere, she had said, and he thought about what Pierce had said before: that there was an agent in Tristan's home in Oakleigh.

It could be untrue. It could be, and Hart thought there was a good chance that it was. But how was he to know? How was he to know if Tristan and Ayla and Atolini and Sintih and the guards and the house staff and everyone else were safe?

He was at the monastery now and he said, "I'm here for the wedding."

How was he to know what to do?
Last edited by Hart on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 482
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 100
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

The King of Hearts

Much to the young woman’s delight, Velaine Krome was arriving to the king’s wedding all by herself. She wasn’t sure where the rest of her family was and could not really bother to look for them. This was one of the rare moments where she could traipse about without the eyes of her parents drilling into her. Her mother had been particularly vexing these days, coming up to her with lists of possible suitors.

The party was certainly not nearly as lavish as how she imagined a royal wedding should be. It was certainly a grander event than that of her brother’s, but certainly not up to the usual standards. Perhaps this was a new trend that she had missed because of her absence?

Compared to her fellow nobles, the outfit hugging her body might be described as terribly simple, even with its silky white fabric. Krome had always been known for their pragmatism and actually quite love how her dress parted below her waist to show off a pair of tight pants. All the while, her skirt billowed behind her as she walked, a touch for the dramatics.

An old servant with a kind face soon found her and explained the events that were to happen today. After he had finished, the man had swiftly changed into the subject of how he used to work for House Krome. Judging from his enthusiasm, he had good memories and respect for her family. He must have been around when her parents were actually decent rulers then.

With a polite smile, the young woman inquired about the stories of his work back in the days as they walked down the shore. All of them innocent stories of an old man. The young woman was slowly losing interest when the man said something she would have never imagined.

“I’d be on your guard if I were you. The King is planning something… I don’t know what, but I can sense it in my bones. An unpredictable man is a dangerous man, I say.”

The young woman stiffened as she listened to the old servant’s remark and slowly turned her head to truly look at him. Velaine hadn’t paid much attention to his face as he spoke and she immediately regretted it. For a man to say such a thing about his king… It was quite a risk if he didn’t truly believe it. Still, it was such a vague warning.

Lowering her voice while trying to look casual, the young woman scanned the crowd slowly before looking at the man again. “Truly? What makes you think that?” Velaine had expected nothing but a rather wild party, nothing but for her to simply get some drinks and perhaps flirt with some noblemen. That plan certainly went out the window as an unsettling feeling waved over her. Of course, there was also a chance that the old man was overreacting, haunted by some nonexistent paranoia. Still, there was no harm in paying a bit more attention to all the proceedings.

Unfortunately, the carriages soon arrived. The king and the empress both presented themselves and began their declarations. This wedding had been talked about so much that it was rather disconcerting for it to actually happen. Velaine could tell that there were still some discomfort at the idea of Emerson marrying. In no time, they were ushered to surround a boat, the most basic of wedding traditions in Rynmere.

Her senses picked up the fluttering of fire from the dozen of torches handed out for the nobility. It was also difficult to ignore the pulling and pushing of the waves as they crashed onto the beach. Velaine still hadn’t been entirely used to the way the elements seemed to call out to her whenever they were near and it was more than easy to be distracted in them. The young woman did not even realize that she was gazing off into the ocean until Emerson’s voice broke through.

“Let us burn the past, together, and let us kindle a new light into the world.”
word count: 689
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The King of Hearts

Xander remained close to his wife, her arm tightly in his as he listened to what the servant assigned to them had to say. The girl was nice enough but he somewhat resented the idea that their hosts did not think them smart enough to find their own way and figure out things for themselves. He was not a child and he was not stupid, still, he did not cause a scene and instead graciously accepted their helper. Perhaps she would come in handy at some point throughout the night he would not know.

"It is a pleasure to meet you thank you for informing us of the order of things today. However, Celeste is right and for all she can stand I am more concerned about the transport, what will that be because I can assure you if it is not safe I will be arranging for some other method of transport." Xander looked at the servant, his face calm and friendly but clear concern in his eyes for the well being of his very pregnant wife. "One that is sorted I would be happy to move on down to the beach." Xander waited to hear on the transport and assuming it was appropriate would then happily escort Celeste down to the beach.

He was lucky in his clothing, no dress code had been given and so he had continued in the fashion his won wedding had been by wearing the simplest of attire. His light pink linen shirt was somewhat loose and cool not to mention inexpensive and his black trousers were much the same. He was taking his position seriously as a man who wished to save money so it could be spent on those who really needed it and not useless expensive clothes. This meant he could stay relatively cool.

Xander paid close attention to the words of Cassander and Emerson when they arrived. As he studied them he felt the same as he had before at the ball and when discussing it with Celeste, it didn't seem right or real. As a man deeply in love he considered himself near enough an expert on what one appeared like and Cassander fell slightly short of fulfilling that image. "It still doesn't feel right, like I said before I don't believe or trust it." Xander whispered to Celeste as they stood and watched the hosts. Then the words moved to forgiveness and Xander suddenly felt unsettled, it didn't feel right and he did not like it. He had a good sense for when something was amiss and it just felt odd. Perhaps he was just paranoid, he was a sinner and rebel after all but Xander did not think that of himself. Still the ceremony continued and Xander was left to his thoughts on that.

As they continued sadly Celeste was not coping so well with the heat, being pregnant and forced to walk around under the hot suns was not good for her. To add on top of that the heat of the torches as they were lit, he could feel her body sway and waver. His arm slipped subtly around her waist as he held her and made sure she stayed up right, taking the torch and quickly tossing it to the boat to make sure the heat was gone as soon as possible and then moving himself and Celeste away from the hot burning sloop. "Come on, lets look for some shade before you pass out on me."

As he carefully moved away he spotted his sister stood in the crowd and he tried to catch her eyes and flash her a friendly smile. He was glad to see she was settling into society and getting involved but unfortunately she seemed somewhat out of it, gazing off into the distance in what looked like deep thought. "We should see my sister at some point, I am sure she would appreciate it." He kept hold of Celeste as they walked towards the land and away from the burning boat, a slight feeling of uneasiness still in him.
word count: 686
Jade
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

The King of Hearts

She’d been the epitome of poised perfection, having taken a great deal of time to travel across the terrain of the region in her current attire. Breathtaking beauty was an understatement, a label that misrepresented her to such a degree as insulting. When Emerson had revealed herself from the spacious house of the carriage, the gems she wore glittered in the shining light of the Saun suns. The Empress appeared to be a star ripped from the night skies, so dazzling in her attire.
The fine garments she wore were comprised of many shades of greens, some thicker and darker in parts of the dress while others were nearly transparent. Her dress was hardly full, but tailored in such a way to bring out the shape of her form. The high neckline she sported was covered in a layer of gold and gemstone, hand stitched from the neck trimming of the dress, all the way down the length of her dress. While she wore no veil, the Empress did sport a long, luxurious soft green train that was accompanied by thin golden chains, large rubies, and diamonds sewed into the back of the garment.
Her arms were decorated with the same jewelry stitched lace, and around her waist, a golden bodice intricately designed by the palace’s blacksmith that spoke both strength and obedience. Light blonde locks traveled down a straight back, catching curls in the wind. On her head sat a headdress that dripped jewels across her forehead in rich proclamation, rising up and out into a kind of delicate, golden cap that blended and mixed with the braids and twists in her hair.
The attire Emerson presented to the people would be spoken about for Arcs to come, made better only by the grace her Holiness wielded so masterfully. Every movement she made captivated eyes, provoking a need to examine the fluid motion of her step— gliding and swift— the arch of her back— straight and relaxed— the motion of her hand as it curled around the torch and, with delicate touch, lifted the object as if she was flame and fire incarnate.
Smiling softly to the nobles around her, she leaned forward and glazed the front of the oil soaked sloop with the flames of the torch, watching as the rest followed suit thereafter.
“May these torches and the fire upon them represent our strength to thrive and prosper, to achieve our ambitions against overwhelming odds. May the flames burn away the bindings of yesterday and guide us to the future of tomorrow.” Cassander called out over the gentle winds.
The torches were disposed of one by one into the boat as it was then pushed out to sea by the strength of decorated soldiers closest to his Grace. He stood strong, watched and waited until the burning sloop was far enough away before speaking loudly so those around him could hear.
“With this, we are released from the shackles of the past and brought into a new future, one born of promise and sustained through duty and faith.” He turned to face the Empress who stood to his right and, as etiquette would have it, offered his hand up so that he could guide her back inland. As they walked, the Ouroboro Guards gestured for the rest of the nobles, and their assigned servants, to follow behind.
A pathway was carved into the hillside, the terrain changing from sand to grass while a group of priestesses and monks lined the edge of the walkway in decorated white and green robes. Just as the King and Empress approached, the soft caress of sweet high voices filled the air, a familiar prayer sung for all nobility to hear.
► Show Spoiler
The servant assigned to Celeste approached her with as much delicate concern as was needed, “My Baroness,” She called quietly, “I fear for your safety during these travels. Your Grace has arranged a carriage to take you and My Lord Baron to the monastery gates, should you wish it.” The woman offered, walking beside the two slowly. The cobblestone pathway leading towards the monastery was a small distance on foot, but it was not so great compared to a carriage ride to the iron doors of the Temple. Should they take the offer, Celeste and Xander would indeed be late for the rest of the ceremony…
Tristan’s servant appeared to have disappeared from the group it seemed. The young fan listened to him speak while showing excitement at the proposal of further engagement with the Duke, but oddly enough, he didn’t accept such offers. His excitement so pointedly made, he might have been too nervous to agree. Nevertheless, his face was nowhere to be seen.
The old man escorting Velanie followed in step beside the woman. He said not a word for a long while, even after the prayer started, but a short time into their walk, he spoke just above a whisper’s breath, “Never in my days have I seen so many guards present at a ceremony, and I have seen many, My Lady…” A small cough bubbled up from his throat. “Even stranger are some of the servants today. I don’t recognize many.”
As the group neared the Temple, the cobblestone pathway transitioned to weathered white stone that, upon its cold surface were sprinkled white petals. Some nobles might have thought the royal wedding was lacking in luxury, but that would soon change once one beheld the decorations within the monastery.
Flowers, ribbon, white fabric, green fabric, gold chain, candles, and other pretties wrapped around columns, draped from candelabras, and were attached to and connected with other decorations that made the magnificent building absolutely stunning. One might have felt that decorations were overdone, but the statement had to be made: the crown would spare no expense to ensure this wedding was one to remember.
Even the commoners inside and some of the guards seemed captivated as they checked invitations and ushered citizens to their respective areas. When Hart approached, the guard took a quick glance at the invitation, doubling back as if he’d caught something odd on the parchment. He waved Hart closer, still inspecting the invitation before taking to patting the man down for weapons. Then he pointed to an area that was away from the pathway and told Hart to remain there for the rest of the ceremony. He would feel paranoia running rampant in his mind as even the simplest of looks would make him question himself. The spies were everywhere and there was no turning back now…
Just as the last of the guests arrived and the Temple packed full did Cassander and Emerson approach with the group of nobles. They took their time strolling down the pathway and into the monastery, chanting following their footfalls before a courtyard stuffed with flowers came into view. Within the center was a stone dais and there upon it, two finely crafted chairs made to represent the ones in the throne room at the Palace. They were overly lavished with trimming and fabric, but suited for royalty.
His Grace and Her Holiness climbed the dais till all who gathered in the Temple could see them. Murmurs roused from around the crowd while the two appeared to have a whispered conversation between each other. What could they possibly be talking about at a time like this? It mattered not fore when Cassander began to speak did silence befall the place once more.
“As was said, I welcome a new future brought to me today, so that I may build a better life for myself and my people.”
“And I wish it for you, Your Grace,” Emerson’s sweet, enchanting voice replied, even as it sounded rehearsed. “I promise to stand with you to welcome this new future, to build with you a prosperous Kingdom, united as the Holy Seven and The Crown, so that we and the people may thrive. I ask that you honor your people, as your forefathers once did, and the Holy Seven, to show mercy when needed, and to assume an active role in the betterment of all the lines of Rynmere.”
A pregnant pause was held between the two… would the whispers in the crowd start again?
“I promise to honor the people, the Holy Seven, and to rule to the best of my judgements.” Oddly enough, the King’s vow exchange seemed less rehearse and clipped short. “I ask that we never cease to communicate the truth, whether to the public face or to ourselves.”
Emerson’s practice smile fell into a straight line as one of the monks hurriedly approached the dais with a cup of wine. The exchange of the wine glass was slow and, once collected, Cassander and Emerson took a seat within the chairs just as a voice presented them to the crowd.
“With the ceremony concluded, I present to you King Cassander Renault and Queen Emerson Renault of Rynmere!”
Off Topic
Alrighty, the king and queen will be in the chair for about 30 minutes in RP. This gives people enough time to give gifts if they want to before they're taken to the palace for celebrations. Feel free to get creative with rumors that you hear from people in the crowds during the ceremony and what not. Also, make sure you're keeping an eye out for tthhhiiinnngggsss!!!
word count: 1570
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The King of Hearts

Xander looked at the attire of the soon to be Queen and felt sick, the extravagance of the outfit was beyond excessive. It was an insult to the request of Xander and Celeste that the two follow suit in their choice of wedding. Still he had doubted that his input would have been taken anyway but what he saw only helped to reaffirm his belief the king was not fit to lead and neither would Emerson Sands be any better. He could picture the Nel wasted on it already, all the guards and the clothes, the servants and of course the boat they had burned was not so small. A waste of precious money, money a starving peasant would kill for.

Still the proceedings in the red hot suns took place and went smoothly so far. The torches were thrown onto the boat and the words spoken by Cassander were in appearance wise and honest but Xander saw no change around him he saw only the strengthening of outdated tradition and a fanciful wedding like those of the past. Xander held his wife the whole time, struggling to keep back the look of discomfort and distaste on his face.

After the boat had floated far enough away they began to head back inland, heading for the monastery. While it would usually have been an easy walk with Celeste's pregnancy and two suns above it would be a struggle for the Baroness. Then they were given the offer, a carriage up to the monastery for the two of them. Xander bit his lip in consideration, while he would rather have walked he would not risk the safety of his wife or their child who rested within her. "Take us to the carriage but please be swift, I wish to stay as close to the schedule as possible." He smiled and kept Celeste close as he followed the servant to where their carriage awaited them.

While the journey was short it did give Celeste chance to rest and shield from the heat for a moment. "We don't have to stay Celeste, if it is too much for you we can go home, I would rather you comfortable and safe." He placed a hand on her stomach. "For both of you to be safe, you are the most important people to me in the world." The wolf kissed her hand and sat back looking out of the window as they climbed towards the monastery, a soft melody in the air as they approached.

When they arrived Xander assisted Celeste and exiting the carriage before escorting her inside. Unfortunately as they entered got past the guards and into the Monastery they were too late. He had hoped to hear the vows, to see the boy's eyes as he spoke the words to his bride. Sadly they missed it instead upon entering all they saw and heard was the announcement of their marriage being complete. The Baron sighed a little and searched for a seat for his own wife, wishing her to rest her feet and relax for a moment before they approached the couple with their gift.

"Its time, let us present our gift." He looked almost nervous, a rare sight with him as he took her hand and began to make his way through the guests until he stood before the King and Queen, Celeste by his side. A silent prayer escaped him, followed by a strange relaxing feeling as one of Ethelynda's granted abilities kicked in, Calm Mind, bringing him composure and comfort before all the people around him. His hand slipped into his pocket and he removed the gift, a small wooden box about 8 inches in length and 1 inch deep.

He bowed before the boy, something he wished he need not do but better not to cause a controversy already. "Your Royal Higness and your Holiness, we present to you our gift." Xander opened the small box before them revealing seven vials, each filled with different samples. "In each of these seven vials you will find something from all the original seven Duchies of Rynmere, Andaris, Venora, Warrick, Burhan, Krome, Gawyne and Endor." He pointed to them each in succession, indicating which vial was from where looking up at the pair to gauge their reactions before he continued.

Taking up the sample from Andaris he held it out in front of him, keeping the box in his spare hand. The red liquid kept in by a cork on the top. "The Blood of my wife Celeste, the blood of a dragon, the blood of a noble and with it the courage the people of the Duchy so bravely offer in your defence every trial." He placed it back in and removed the next. "The petals of a Venoran Rose, never wilting and beautiful like the culture they bring to our Kingdom and the people who grow them, the talent of which is unmatched throughout the realm." He returned it to the box and removed the next. "Soil from the farms of Warrick, rich and fertile, the source of life for many who follow you and containing the blood sweat and tears of those who toil over the harvests each and every arc." Back in the box and onto the next. "Water from Lake Krom, home to the mightiest of sailors who protect you and the people of Rynmere from pirates and foreign invaders and the merchants who bring prosperity to our great nation."

The Baron paused a moment before he moved onto the next, his own home Duchy. Fur from the back of a Krome wolf, to remind you of the strength and bravery of the soldiers of the North, a shield from the cold they weather each cold season to provide our Southern neighbours with Furs of their own." He placed it delicately back into the box. Parchment from the Libraries of Gawyne, a fortress of knowledge and foresight, the home of our greatest minds and those who wish to see Rynmere prosper by studying our past." Onto the final vial, Xander drew it from the case and held it up high. "Dust from the mines of Endor, created from the hard labour each and every worker puts in each trial, from the criminals who work to repent their sins and the ores which provide our soldiers with protection." He returned the final vial into the box and stepped closer holding it out to the King and Queen. "May you look upon these items and think of the nobles, the people and creatures that protect your Kingdom, think of the lands without them and think of the future with them. May these forever remind you what you owe the people of Rynmere." He paused and stepped back.

"I wish the both of you the best on this day." He bowed again before standing tall and allowing Celeste to say her piece if she wished before moving to once again find Celeste a seat.

word count: 1169
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 934
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

The King of Hearts

Seeing the future queen of Rynmere almost made Tristan sick as well – lovesick. If it weren’t for Ilaren, he would probably have fallen in love with Emerson there and then. She was breathtakingly beautiful, and the gems that she wore shimmered like all the stars in the sky. It took all his self-control not to stare at her open-mouthed. Cassander was truly lucky to be able to marry such a woman!

As she smiled, he smiled back. He would invite her to his wedding to Ilaren, he decided – and Cassander as well, of course. They would be the guests of honour. He would think more about how he would start courting the Immortal when he got home, but for now he decided to concentrate on the royal wedding. Cassander was his friend, and so was Emerson as his wife by extension, and they deserved his full attention.

He liked this wedding much better than Celeste’s and Xander’s wedding. The Andaris wedding had been a bit too plain for his taste (the fact that the couple had obviously been in love had mostly made up for it though). Cassander’s wedding was more like what a wedding should be in his opinion. Only the servants left a bit to be desired in his opinion.

The young man who had been assigned to him and who had professed to want to be in one of his plays, seemed to have disappeared without a trace. For a moment Tristan wondered if he was up to something evil – such as stealing or trying to murder somebody – but then he came to the conclusion that he was probably just shy and had run away because he hadn’t been able to bear being in the presence of the great Tristan Venora any longer.

He walked along the pathway together with the other nobles, admiring the decorations. Emerson and Cassander really hadn’t spared any expenses. He noticed the couple whispering for a bit once they were inside the temple as well of course, but he didn’t think much of it. They were probably talking about their wedding or how much they loved each other. Maybe they were in love after all!

He just wished the people around him would shut up. It really wasn’t appropriate to murmur and whisper at a time like that. Tristan himself was quiet. He looked around to see who was whispering for a moment before he focused his attention on Emerson and Cassander again. Once the ceremony had ended, he approached them because he had a gift as well.

He didn’t hold a long-winded speech like Xander, but bowed and presented a small box to the king and the queen and said, “Congratulations, Your Royal Highness and Your Holiness. I wish you all the luck on Idalos for the future. Inside this box are two gifts – a necklace made of onyx – the stone of royalty – for you, Your Holiness and a masterfully crafted dagger with a single onyx for you, Your Royal Highness.”

He bowed again and then stepped back so that the other guests would be able to present their gifts and say a few words to Cassander and his new wife.

OOC: Bought:
Onyx necklace
Masterwork dagger with 3 carat onyx
word count: 552
Hart
Approved Character
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The King of Hearts

"Speaking in Rakahi"
"Speaking in Common"
His hands were shaking. He felt oddly detached from his body, in fact he felt almost calm, but still his hands were shaking. The guard took the invitation, glanced at it, and immediately looked again. This time, he looked closer. Hart's hands had been shaking when he passed it over. Was that what the man was reacting to? Or something-- something else?

Something else, Hart thought as the man asked him to step forward.

He held still as the guard searched him for weapons. In this he was innocent. He had none. The weapons were in the temple. He had an urge to say that aloud, the weapons are in the temple, but he didn't. He kept his mouth shut and he held still and steady as the man searched him and then told him to step to the side.

Hart stood where he was directed, going so far as to lean casually against the outside of the temple as if he felt no urgency to get inside, no urgency to do anything except stand where he had been told. He waited. And waited. And waited.

He was sweating, he was aware of that. It was hot out. He had an idea of what the Alliance would do to him if he failed. Maybe they would just put him out and let him fry in the suns. He held still where he stood, almost too still and nonchalant, arms crossed as if he was cold despite the heat, but every once and a while his shoulder or hand would twitch, betraying nerves he did not, could not let himself fully feel.

You’ll recieve further instruction there, and he had been given instruction, he had been told to stand to the side and wait, and so he did. There was almost a sense of relief, he didn't want to kill anyone, but that was complicated by the threats the Alliance had made against his person and family. Assuming their leverage against his brother was false, Hart would be the only one to suffer for just standing here.

He thought he was alright with that, but he would never be alright again if Tristan or Ayla were hurt because of him.

So, "I guess they don't let commoners in after all," he said dryly to the guard who was watching him.

A few bits later, he thought he heard clapping from inside. With it his nervousness broke into something deeper, more complex: total dread. But it was mixed with a stronger sense of relief. He let out a slow breath.

At least his voice was steady enough. "Is the ceremony over?" If it was, he thought he was already too late. He would continue to wait for orders or for an opportunity, but either way, he was pretty sure it was over. The Alliance was going to have his head.

Still leaning against the side of the temple, not knowing if he was leaning there to appear casual or for the support, Hart smiled at the guard who may have just cost him his life. Hart had been withdrawn before, for the most part quiet and still. He wasn't much better now, but he had the gumption to ask, "You wouldn't happen to have a drink, would you?"
Last edited by Hart on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 571
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”