• Closed • [Ishallr]Another Fine Mess

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Ishallr]Another Fine Mess

9th Saun
Arc 717
The tension created by those creatures had been enough for her that she'd needed to make possibly the worst joke she had ever made and Vega gave Arlo a grin. "I don't know about you, Arlo, but those things flibbertied my gibbet." Which was, apparently, Vega-speak for the fact that they frightened her. "Creepy noise. That was a creepy noise. " She was more than happy to pull the four of them, the bodies of the creatures into the spot they had determined. They were heavier than they looked and the young woman felt her muscles working. She made sure to pull with bent knees and was in the middle of being quite serious about it all when he told her about the other deer, the 'Oh' deer. Vega looked at him and she frowned then shook her head. "Yer makin' it up, so you are. You are, aren't you?" If she sounded pleading, she explained, it was because she didn't know that she could live happily in a world where someone came up with that as a name.

"If I get to name 'em, I'll call em..." She considered and then grinned. "Sn'oh Deer. Snow deer. Get it?" With a sigh, Vega stood from where they were working. Evidently, a woman of her wit, skill and talent was wasted here. Looking at the fallen creatures, she considered. "Well, the damn things have got hides so thick arrows bounce. Might make good protection too. You any good at sewing?" Somehow, there was no doubt that she thought it was a skill that was right up his street.

Which way? Vega grinned at him approvingly and looked at the map. "Why don't people ever label maps?" A few words like 'scary deer here' would have been really helpful already. Or, even better, 'scary armoured deer here'. That would have been great. "Look, this room has like... squiggles in it. Shall we go see what the squiggles are?" It was down a long corridor, twisting and turning. Vega kept her eyes out and pointed to some tiny almost pin-pricks in the snow. "Spiders, I reckon. Yep. Look, see?" Somewhere along the lines, Vega had grown good at hunting and tracking.

They came to a room, a cavern. It was lit, like the other one and it's ceiling was lower and less uniform. The whole room seemed more likely to be naturally occurring and as they stepped in, Vega stopped dead in her tracks. There, in front of them, were ice sculptures of people. It was a scene, like they'd been people going about their lives and then suddenly in a trill, turned to ice. A group sitting at a table and eating, some people walking, others sitting and talking, it seemed. Each one of them was frozen in perfect stillness, the detail of each of them exquisite.

Without even thinking about it, Vega put her hand on Arlo's arm. "Arlo, look," she whispered. Afraid to go too much further in, just in case she got turned to ice, Vega observed from where they were. "It's like it's telling a story. What story is it telling, Arlo?" She sounded, because she was, entirely entranced.
word count: 548

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

"I've got no idea what a gibbet is," Arlo confessed with a deep frown, convinced that Vega had made it up on the spot. Unless it was one of those woman things, and then, he'd probably rather not know. He got the gist of it though. Those things that had only posing as ordinary deer, for all intents and purposes, were unnatural and he was glad they were dead. And hoped there weren't any more of them lurking in the shadows. "I'm not," he told her as he straightened after dragging one of the things into the corner, and dusted off his hands. "I figure the man who named them might be the same one that saw a flying rabbit and named it flunny." A man that liked very bad puns, apparently.

He snorted though when Vega came up with an alternative to bad eye deer and asked if he got it. "If you have to ask did I get it, s'not funny." Arlo shot back, though couldn't quite hide the grin on his face. It didn't last long though and a frown took its place. "I don't sew. Why would I?" The hide might be a good start for leather armor however and taking a second look at the heap of dead animals, he shrugged. "If the meat's any good, I might use some of it, the heart and liver too, to make venison boudin when your father comes to visit. Bet he's never had it before." And some people, Arlo figured now that she mentioned it, weren't very good cartographers. And had no hand for drawing either. Still, she was right, a legend like the one on the maps in his book, would've been nice.

"I don't like spiders much." A confirmation as they walked along, that she was probably right and there'd be spiders here. Or had been, if they were lucky. If the deer were unnatural on Scalvoris, undesirable, and bunnies could fly, he'd rather not meet the native born spiders either. At any rate, unlike before, this time as they went he kept his pistol crossbow loaded, at the ready, primed with just the safety latch in place. Thoughts and concerns about spiders and vampire like deer fled his mind completely though when they stepped into a large, natural made cavern, and into a scene unlike any Arlo had ever seen or imagined before. He was quiet for a long few trills, just staring at it. Were they sculptures? If they were, they were done by a master of his craft. At least from afar they looked perfect. And why here, where no one would ever see them?

He started, when Vega put her hand on his arm, and Arlo remembered to breathe again. A story? Arlo didn't think there was a story that he could dream up that would be more interesting than the truth. Still, he grinned and grabbed her hand in his, and pulled her into the middle of it all without a thought. He wandered among all the figures, looking close at their faces, the fine clothing that some of them wore, the trimmed nails and fancy boots. The ones at the tables with the platters of food and the iced crystal glasses filled with water that wasn't frozen at all. "This wasn't always a glacier, you know," he uttered, gesturing with a gloved hand all around them. "It was the finest palace in all of Scalvoris. Maybe on all of Idalos."

The craggy outcroppings on top of the glacier, were in fact, gilded ebony spires that reached up to the heavens, Arlo told her. The tunnels had been hallways paved in rare marble, copper and bronze, the walls covered in the best silk brocade cloth. "The lord and the lady and their children, there," he said, pointing to the family dining on white linen, "were kind and generous, and loved by their subjects." But they had a terrible secret, Arlo added. Long ago, the lord of this keep had struck a deal with another lord, a powerful ice lord and wizard from the nearby mountains. "See, his wife was giving birth to their first child. Her," he added, and pointed to the oldest girl at the table. "But she was having trouble and was at risk of dying. Her and the babe, both of them. The lord of the manner promised the wizard that if he could use his magic to save both mother and child, then he'd pledge his first daughter in marriage once she came of age."

Well the ice lord had helped, mother and child were saved, but as it happened, that first child was a girl. "Arcs went by, and the lord of the manor resolved that he'd never give up his daughter to the wizard. And when the time came, he refused. This, all this," Arlo told her with a wide grin and a hand swept all round the cavern and beyond. "Was the ice lord's answer to his refusal. Frozen in time, all of them in an instant for a thousand arcs or more now." And those deer that they'd run across, he told her with a shrug, a wider grin. Those were the ice lord's watchdogs, and they'd killed the wizard's minions.
word count: 904
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

9th Saun
Arc 717
"Might 'ave been a woman, you know. Prob'ly was." Vega nodded, suddenly convinced that flunnies and oh deer were named by the fairer sex. "I bet you. Too imaginative for a fella to have named them. That's what it is." He said that if she had to ask it wasn't funny, but he was grinning so she considered it a victory. Why would he sew? She said nothing but just gave him a knowing look and a smirk. Let him chew on that for a while, she considered and, while he did, she'd think up an answer for her random question.

He was planning the menu for her father's visit and she smiled at him and nodded. "Pappa could be professionally grumpy, Arlo, but he's a kind man who loves 'is daughter is all. He'll appreciate you makin' an effort, that's for sure." He might not show it and, in fact, he'd probably spend his time scowling at the young man, but Vega appreciated it too. She wouldn't tell him that, of course, because she assumed he knew and if he didn't that was more or less tough luck. So, she contented herself with bumping her shoulder against his and grinning.

The banter that the two of them shared was, quite simply, just the way they were and Vega didn't ever bother with analysing it more than it was them and it worked just fine. Yet, when she saw the second cavern and the breath caught in her throat, she reached for him with an entirely unconscious gesture. His startled response surprised her but then he grabbed her hand and pulled her into the room. She'd have argued with him, told him that they could have been turned into statues of ice, but she was too busy staring around.

It was the story he told, though, which Vega hung on to. Every word, like it was the absolute truth. Vega turned vivid lilac eyes to him as she gave him her total, rapt attention. "Is that true?" When he told it, how he told it, it certainly seemed like it could be. "Arlo, look. The water in this goblet isn't frozen. How?" She moved to one of the women, dressed in transparent finery and she smiled, hesitantly reaching out a hand but not quite touching the figure. "She's beautiful. It's like they're real. Are they, do you think? I can't see any seams or marks. It's... who did this?" Even the food was perfect in every detail and Vega looked down at the table and grinned. "They were eatin' brussel sprouts. I told you they was dangerous, those things."

Maybe if she was of a scientific mindset, Vega would want to take samples and catalogue things, but this was simply wondrous to the red haired young woman and she walked around drinking in every detail. "You remember the story I told in Desnind, Arlo? The one about my grandfather an' the men on the ship? Maybe U'frek did this, or Treid. Maybe they're waitin'. But 'ow is that water in that goblet not ice?"
word count: 539

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

"Probably not," Arlo said when she asked if the story was true. Taking another look around, taking it all in at a glance, he shook his head in wonder. "I think that the real story is probably more interesting than anything I could dream up." It unsettled him. It almost felt like sacrilege, irreverence to be here wandering among all these figures frozen in time and space. Was it the effect a sculptor wanted? Or had it been a sculptor at all?

Getting eyeball to eyeball with one of the seated figures, he frowned. Vega was right. No marks from sculpting tools but it was more than that. "They're more detailed than any statues I've ever seen. Look at the eyes. They have the little flecks in them, the darker rims round the colored parts. How do you do that with tools?" He remembered the story of course, that she'd told back in Desnind. Whether or not it was U'frek, or Treid..."Who knows? It could as easily be a wizard or the ice lord or a sculptor the likes of which no one's ever seen. But then why hide his work away in here?"

There was no explaining that water though. It ought to be frozen and he tapped the edge of the ice glass with his gloved fingertip, causing ripples inside. "I can't explain any of it," he admitted, "but it feels a little like we shouldn't be here. But look, there," he said, pulling the map out and showing her another chamber in another location. "There's a lake drawn there, or what looks like one. You want to go see if it's frozen?" If this was an ice cave that was the sort of thing he'd expect it to be, then he'd expect to find a frozen body of water there. But the deer hadn't been ordinary, and all these perfectly formed figures around them definitely weren't. Arlo wasn't about to say that anything they saw from that point forward would be as expected.
word count: 351
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

9th Saun
Arc 717
Arlo pointed out the eyes of the ice statue he was looking at and Vega moved over to have a look. The tiny details, the flecks in the eyes were so real that she leaned forward to inspect it more closely. "It makes me feel sad," she whispered, entirely seriously. "I mean. It's like they're trapped here an' if they aren't, then somethin' this beautiful should be seen. But it feels sad." Her eyes swirled orange and yellow, flecks of black and lilac, too. Vega would swear that, due to the mixed nature of her blood, she was not prone to her eyes changing colour with her mood, but they most certainly did.

She had to agree with him. It felt like they shouldn't be here, like they were intruding somehow. It had to be said, when he grabbed the map, Vega's expression showed her relief and her eyes flooded violet. "Yeah, let's leave them alone. I'm sorry we disturbed you." Vega felt a bit stupid saying it, talking to ice sculptures and all, but at the end of the trial there was some seriously weird wiggins going on here and she thought it was better to be safe than to be sorry. "Xiur's light on them. I hope they have hope. If they're real. If they aren't and I'm just a nutter with an over active imagination, then that's a'right." With a grin to Arlo and a gentle nudge with her elbow she looked at him pointedly, but said nothing more.

The idea of going to see a lake in an ice cave made her nod and, as they walked, she wondered. "If this lake is frozen, how'd they know it's a lake? I mean, the ground is ice an' snow." If it was huge, she supposed aloud, then it might show itself as a lake, but there had to be something to differentiate from the ice and snow around it. She was overthinking, she knew, because this place was strange. Pulling the elephant-ear flaps of her hat tight, Vega hid further in her scarf as she considered it. "We'll need to be careful, cos ice is dangerous over a lake. Don't want to be 'alf way out before you realise you're about to be half way down to dead."

Looking at the map, she nodded to him as they rounded the corner which should, if they'd followed it correctly and it was accurate, lead to the cavern with the lake in it. "Go on, you. Your map an' your lake. You want to tie ourselves together in case you fall through the ice and it closes up over your 'ead before you can say 'Jim Jimminy Jumps' twice?" She considered that she should point out that, in that situation, it was better that he fell, since she was so much stronger, but he hadn't done anything to deserve being wound up like that, so she contented herself with a rather smug grin.
word count: 519

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Arlo wasn't sure that sad accurately described what he felt when he looked at the frozen figures all around them. It was unnerving, no denying. A little worrisome that if something or someone unknown had caused genuinely living beings to turn to ice in an instant, that maybe it wasn't the kind of place they ought to be lingering in too long. On the other hand, as a follower of Cassion and further as an ordinarily, exceptionally curious individual, he was fascinated and was torn between leaving them be, and studying them at his leisure. But he was more unnerved than he was curious, so was just as content to move on.

Still, he put a respectable distance between him and Vega when she offered up her prayers. It was as personal a thing as it wasn't, after all, and Arlo pulled a small stone from his pocket to set on the ice table where the figures were dining. It seemed a suitable place to attract the attention of an Immortal who had an interest in the sharing of meals. It was a perfectly round and exceptionally smooth stone that looked like marble but wasn't. Found in a dry stream bed once, but at some point it had been worn through in the middle and looked much like a large stone ring. This didn't seem completely within Cassion's realm of influence, but if the Immortal was interested, he might have a look at just what had occurred here.

"Then you'd make a fine devotee for Cassion," he shot back with a grin as they moved on, following the map. "A little mad, a lot of imagination." When she wondered about the lake, he shrugged, bow in hand, always on the lookout for more of those deer or something even worse. "Maybe it looks like a frozen one on a snowy tundra. Like the kind of thing people skate on in the cold season." She made a point about iced over ponds being dangerous, but still Arlo scowled and cut his eyes sideways at her. He caught the smugness in her expression and knew exactly what she was thinking. He snorted. "Maybe it's better in case you fall through." In that case, it might require some exceptional feats of acrobatics to get her out again. Probably not, really, but the implication was there.

What they saw however once they stepped into a larger chamber than the rest, caught him completely by surprise. Maybe it shouldn't have, considering the water in the glasses back where they'd come from. Still. It was a large body of water, much larger than he'd expected. And for all the world, unless it was glossed over with black ice...actually perfectly clear ice, it didn't appear the least bit frozen. Eyeing the steam created by his own breathing, Arlo frowned. "How does that happen? Might make sense if it was a moving river, but it ought to be frozen." Unless of course the water was warm, originating maybe from some sort of hot spring.
word count: 519
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

9th Saun
Arc 717
"Like the one in my dream where you were my brother?" That had a lake in it that was frozen, Vega recalled and she smiled at him as she did. He snorted and shot a retort at her, suggesting that it was better that he went through first because her falling through was a bad thing. A deep scowl crossed her face and she shoved him."You suggestin' I'm fat, Creede? Cos you know, I'll punch you into next Ashan an' I won't need to put my weight behind it since you're such a baby weed." Vega was quite prepared to get into a full on scrap with him regarding this, frankly he deserved it for irritating her quite so much as he had when he'd suggested that she was fat. Under normal circumstances, she'd be prepared to be snarky with him for a good break or more.

Except they entered the cavern and Vega let out a gasp of surprise, every ounce of perfectly justified and reasonable irritation gone. "Arlo, look at that." It was far too cold for this to be happening and there was absolutely nothing natural about it, she was sure. The temperature was such that the water would have to be moving to remain liquid, yet it was completely still and also, completely liquid. "It's like the water in that chalice thing, innit?" Vega couldn't fully explain why she was whispering, but she was. Each step that she took forward was a very cautious one, much more than was her usual, but somehow she half expected something to leap out at the pair of them.

"It don't make sense," Vega knelt next to the edge and looked at the water, her hand half out but not quite willing to touch it, either. "There's been people here, you know. Recently, too, I'd say." Not hidden at all, it was obvious that people had been here, looking around and judging by the spread out of the prints, they'd been here a while and explored a fair bit. However, Vega pointed to tracks which were much older. "I dunno, Arlo it gives me the wiggins, so it does. An' look. There's footsteps going into it." Gesturing for him to come forward and see, she looked up at him and her eyes swirled silver and black. "They're little. I think they're a child, just... walking in to this?"

It was one of those rare times that Vega rather wished that he'd tell her she was being silly, that look, they were not footsteps belonging to a child and they were not going into the lake. Looking up at him as she knelt there, she really hoped that he'd say that.

But somehow, she really doubted it.
word count: 478

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

"Of course you're not fat. I didn't say anything of the sort," Arlo argued, secretly grinning at how quickly Vega had bristled up at the very idea. Nonetheless, as they approached the enormous chamber occupied by the lake, he added, "In fact I've told you before, or maybe I didn't, that it's elbows and knees. That's what you are." Of course he kept it to himself that there were plenty of curves in between. If he'd said it aloud, Arlo was fairly sure she'd give him just the sort of thrashing she'd already promised. Still, it wasn't as if he hadn't noticed. More in fact, since she'd caught up with him from Rharne. He wasn't the only one who'd filled out some.

That lake though. More particularly the water. Arlo had stopped in his tracks and gaped at it. "Just like it," he said. The chalice, he meant. "It shouldn't be any more possible than those frozen figures, but..." he said, half under his breath as he approached alongside her. Crouching down at the water's edge on his heels, the temptation to reach out and dip a pair of fingers into the water was nearly overpowering. But he didn't dare. "Maybe there's something to do with the volcano?" he wondered. Were there minerals or other naturally occurring things in the water that prevented it from freezing? Damned if he knew.

When Vega first pointed out the variety of tracks littering the ground, Arlo looked over them and nodded though he wasn't surprised. "Probably the researchers that came here, and the fellow who made the map." But those other tracks. The small ones. Arlo looked at them for a long bit when she showed him, as if trying to convince himself that they weren't there at all. "They're too little to belong to anything but a child. And no shoes." And old too. With nothing here to disturb them like rain, wind or snowfall, who knew how long they'd been there? He couldn't tell her that what she was seeing wasn't there, since he was unable to convince himself first. "Ghosts make prints, you think?" he asked on a whim, but figured..How could they?

Finally he frowned, stood up and dusted himself off. "I can't explain it. Not any of it Vega, but I don't like it. The deer with the fangs, the people frozen in place. Those tracks. I'm starting to think we shouldn't be here at all." And in truth, while there was probably nobody watching them from around every corner or out from every shadow, it was nevertheless starting to feel that way to him.
word count: 466
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

9th Saun
Arc 717
She wasn't fat? Well, whilst that was good, she saw the smug look on his face and glowered at him further. However, when he called her 'elbows and knees', Vega frowned and harrumphed but didn't argue with him. He was right, she was lanky and put together funny, she knew that. "So I've been told. More than once. By people taller than you, too." It was a rubbish jab, especially these trials, but the knees and elbows comment had hit a nerve so she needed to reciprocate. When in doubt, pick on his height.

All sense of unease disappeared in its current form and became something quite else, though, when they saw the lake. Kneeling next to it, she watched Arlo reach out two fingers, almost as though to dip them and she tensed as she got ready to stop him but she didn't need to. "It could be to do with the volcano. Maybe even that weird sand you showed me, I dunno. It's weird, though, that's for sure." Weird was very much what it was and what it would have stayed as had she not spotted the tracks.

That the large groups of tracks were from the researchers and he of the lousy penmanship made sense to her, but as Vega looked at the small tracks and then at Arlo, he didn't say what she wanted him to. Her expression was grim as she nodded in agreement at the lack of shoes and she sighed as she considered that she'd really hoped he'd have said something funny. Instead he asked about ghosts and her gaze turned sharply to him. "Ghosts? I dunno. Normally, no. Here?" Vega shrugged. "Whatever thin veil there is twixt alive an' dead on a normal trial, it's thinner here, I suspect."

When he stood up and dusted off his trousers, Vega looked at him and nodded. "As much as I hate to agree with you, cos it goes to your head and stuff. I'm totally there. Shall we go an' collect those deer an' get ourselves home?" She glanced around and frowned. "Cos I'm gettin' well twitchy. But I reckon, you know, we can pull together a lot out of those funny deer thing. Good cloaks if we can do it, too."

Vega looked at him and in a rare moment of absolute honesty she admitted, "I'd like to get out of here, Arlo, it's givin' me the creeps. Once we're out, though, an' if we ever talk about it with anyone, I'm gonna say we left cos you were scared." She did her best to give him a chipper grin at that because, in all honesty, she thought that he probably was scared too and she didn't want that to be the case. So, her being like this might just get him un-scared.
word count: 492

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

She referenced his height again, but Arlo only grinned quietly. He'd shot up some recently and arguably now was taller than her. Short jokes didn't have the same impact they'd once had. But as they studied the water that ought to be frozen, but wasn't, the mystery of why made quick work of the teasing and replaced the grin with a curious frown. "I didn't think about the sand," he admitted, and having stood up, leaned over to peer down into the water. It was clear as could be, but still, it was a long way to the bottom. "I think it's just rock or ice at the bottom. No sand."

Something with the volcano. Maybe. But the only way Arlo figured they could know, would be to taste the stuff and see if it tasted somehow different than ordinary water. But he wasn't planning on touching the stuff, much less tasting it. "We've seen stranger though, haven't we?" he said when the question of ghosts and footprints arose. "Not just in here. The statues and the deer, but back in Desnind. In Ne'haer and Rharne." Footprints heading into water than ought to be frozen, but wasn't, seemed pretty tame compared to some of those things.

There was one thing they could agree on however, and it was that this place was full of unnerving things. And that it was time they left. "And I'm gonna tell them you were trembling like a leaf in a windstorm," he shot back with a grin. Agreed, nonetheless. It wasn't far back to where they'd left the deer, and the exit wasn't much farther. Between the two of them, surely they could haul back two, if not all of the deer they'd killed. There'd be plenty of meat to eat and share, and preserve for later. And hides to make at least two cloaks if not more.
word count: 331
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”