Names of Races and Members of Races

0th of Cylus 0

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Sel'ma
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

It has started to dawn on me that it can be a difference between the name of a race and what a member of that race is called. I keep writing the name of the race when I write about one single person of that race, but now I feel I need to ask. And I have done the same for my own character and used the name of the whole race when calling her "the sev'ryn".

Sorry for this but I'm triple-language-confused. Can somebody please clarify what's right. Is it like this ?

The Naerikk - One naer, Severl naers ?
The Sev'ryn - One sevir ?? Several sevirs ??

What about other races and their members?
word count: 118
Jade
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Hey there Sel'ma! Sorry it's taken so long for your question to be answered. Unfortunately, not much has been developed in terms of the spoken languages for each race and I think this is something that definitely needs to be brought up for further development. But how I see it is this:

Naer = 1 person
Naerikk = many people/race

Sevir = 1 person
Sev'ryn = many people/race

As for the rest of the races, you can usually describe 1 person, many people, or the entire race by just the name. For example, Biqaj (pronounced Buh-kih) can be used as a pronoun for a single person or many people.

'The biqaj rolled his eyes at the boisterous woman, turning the wheel due north while he wished the devils of the sea would swallow the ship whole.'

'Many Biqaj tend to settle their ships within the high traffic waters of Ne'haer for the summer.'

Most of the race names will function like the examples above until further development deems otherwise. I hope this helps!
word count: 176
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”