The More Things Change

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

The More Things Change

Trial 14, Arc 717

"That's the Ywyngyll forest there off in the distance," Arlo told Vega and pointed straight ahead of them, not long after they'd left their camp outside the gates on foot. After reassuring her half a dozen times that his mother wouldn't try to make a match between them or attempt to domesticate her, he'd finally convinced her to come along. It was only for a couple breaks after all and he'd have plenty more opportunities to see his parents before wandering off again. "It's the forest I told you about," he added with a grin while adjusting his rucksack across his shoulder.

"You know, the one I spent a few trials in alone when I was little," he reminded her. "The house isn't far from there." But it wasn't an ordinary forest, Arlo went on to tell Vega as they walked. It was alive in a way that other forests weren't. Something called the Unabor controlled and protected all of it. From the trees and plants to the streams and animals.

"It's no wonder I got lost in it then," Arlo admitted and laughed. "The trees, the stones, all of it can drift or up and move in a flash to protect itself. All of a sudden everything around me had up and moved and I wasn't where I thought I'd been before." He'd been very small, but uncommonly bold for his age and a traveler already. He might have panicked or sat down and despaired of ever finding his way out again.

"That's it," he said, pointing at a small farm house ahead of them. Nestled in a small copse of trees surrounded by a patchwork of grassy and dirt fields was a wooden farmhouse that looked quite old but in very good repair. It had a tin roof and a round pipe chimney on top with curls of white smoke drifting into the air. A small flock of sheep grazed nearby and chickens dotted the yard round the house.

That was his mom, Arlo said and pointed to a woman who appeared to be working out in the garden, though it was hard to tell much about her from a distance. "Her name is Nella." But as they walked closer, she seemed to spot the pair of them and straightened up, looking their way. She was a small woman who couldn't have been much more than five feet tall, and thin enough that a stiff wind might've picked her up and carried her away.

Her auburn hair was tied at the nape of her neck and draped over one shoulder. She wore baggy trousers and boots, an over-sized white shirt open at the collar, and a wide brimmed straw hat on her head. She looked, but it was only when Arlo grinned and raised a hand that she appeared to recognize him. "Arlo!" Nella dropped the basket she'd had in her hands and came down the path at a good clip to meet them. The difference in height between mother and son became all the more apparent, the closer she got.

She launched herself at him, and wrapping his arms round her waist, Arlo laughed and lifted her several inches off the ground. "Put me down and let me look at you." With a glance at Vega, he smiled and obliged her. She immediately reached up and cupped his cheeks between her open palms and appeared to drink in every detail before letting him go. Her eyes were a grayish blue, and swam with un-shed tears. "Look at how tall you've gotten," she said, and used her thumb to wipe a smudge from his cheek. Some things never changed.

But then she turned stormy and snatched the hat from his head and smacked him with it. "And why didn't you write, let me know you were alright? I've been worried about you." Arlo snatched the hat back. "Not the hat ma, I got it from Cassion." To say she looked skeptical was every bit accurate. "You didn't." He did, he tried to say but she'd already turned her gaze on Vega. "Are you going to introduce your friend or just leave her standing there?"

Arlo grinned and shrugged. After all she hadn't given him a chance till now. "This is Vega. We met in Desnind and we've been traveling together." It was then that Nella gave Vega a good looking over. An observant woman no denying but she smiled and offered both her hands to take Vega's "Welcome to our home Vega. I'm Nella. You haven't been getting her in trouble have you?" she added, looking to Vega. Arlo frowned. "Not that kind of friend ma."

"It's not what I meant and I'm sure she knows it," the woman added and smiled knowingly. After all, she'd raised the boy who'd gotten himself and others into more trouble than most boys found in their lifetime. "Come inside, both of you," she commanded and started off towards the house. "The two of you must be starving. Jonas, my husband is away for a few trials, gone to market. But I've made a nice cherry pie and it's still warm from the oven," she said as she showed them up on the porch.

"Mind your teeth," Arlo whispered before they walked through the door. "Sometimes she misses a few of the pits." But whether it was pie or a full meal, this was a woman who needed to feed anyone who happened to cross her threshold. Never mind she was only marginally good at it. But the small parlor they stepped into from the outdoors was simply furnished, but tidy and welcoming with a bright red rug on the floor. "Would you like a cup of tea Vega," Nella asked. "While I'm heating the kettle you can tell me about yourself."
word count: 1010
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The More Things Change

The more Arlo tried to persuade her that his mother wasn't going to try and 'domesticate' her, the more Vega felt like some kind of pedigree cat. Except she was a mongrel masquerading as a pedigree, of course. Still. The irritating little beast wanted her to go along and she suspected that it was as much to get the heat off him as it was anything else. So, she'd held out a little while longer after she'd decided it would be alright just to make sure that she really meant it and then, finally, she'd given in.

"Don't be stupid, that's not a word." Vega had responded to the "Ywyngyll" Forest. Then he went on to tell her about how it wasn't a normal forest but an alive one with some kind of boar which controlled it. A frown of deep suspicion darkened her brow but she said nothing. What was the point of arguing?

Vega had decided that, since they were going to see his parental-figures, she'd wear the new dress she'd bought earlier that season. It was nice, clean and it suited her. Of course, she still wore her sword and crossbow. Arlo's family farm it might be, but trouble could find the pair of them no matter where they were. So, unless he let off some kind of reason why she should not, she went loaded for bear.

Still, they made their way and it wasn't anything like Vega had expected. Of course, she didn't really know what she had expected, but she was suddenly clear that it wasn't this. It was pretty, unassuming and practical. Far less imposing than the house they'd been in over in the Glass Quarter just recently, she thought to herself. But there was his mother, by all accounts and Vega lifted her eyes to the sky and asked Xiur, entirely in an internal way, if he wouldn't mind just keeping an eye. She was very hopeful, she was clear with Xiur who she chatted with in her head, it just was her and it was Arlo and that probably meant that hopeful was rather akin to foolish.

As the pair of them reunited, Vega dawdled behind Arlo and tried to be invisible. She didn't belong here, in this whole thing and she should have stood her ground, she thought. Yet, at the same time it was a lovely thing to see, the pair of them. She was shorter than any person had a right to be and Vega considered it was no wonder that Arlo thought her uncommonly tall. Watching the way that his mother was with him caused Vega to smile, whilst maintaining her desire to be invisible if she could.

When Nella Creede started to hit her son with the hat Cassion had given him, though, Vega couldn't help but smile. There was a power in motherhood, she had always been told. She'd seen it, of course, but only ever as an observer. Yet the woman turned and looked at her and Vega gave a genuine smile. Putting both of her hands out, into Nella's, Vega couldn't deny that Arlo's mother welcomed from the heart.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, missus Creede. A real pleasure." Vega's words were honest when she said that but the idea that Arlo had got her in trouble caused a slight raise of her eyebrow. Arlo's warning sent it further but she nodded her head, just imperceptibly but enough for him to note.

"I'd love a cup of tea, thank you." Vega smiled and considered that it was true. But tell her about herself? Vega looked vaguely panic-stricken for a moment and decided to stick to facts. "Well, I'm half Sev'ryn, half Biqaj. Raised by Biqaj father, due to my mother passin' when she birthed me. So, I was raised round Biqaj and knew nothing of the Sev'ryn part of my family. So I went to Desnind to find out." With a grin at Arlo Vega considered how to explain more than that, "Where I met Arlo, and my mother's sister too. Arlo an' I shared a camp with another traveler for Cyrus and then since we were both leaving, decided to travel together a bit. Which we've done."

In a rare moment, and rather wishing Arlo wasn't there to hear it, Vega spoke it as she found it. "We've become good friends, and I'm proud to call him that. You raised a good young man, missus Creede." She figured that it was the right thing to say. It was true, every word, and she'd not say it to Arlo but his mother, who must have been worried sick about him, well she deserved to know.

Since it was his mother, she didn't even add that, considering what he was like, she'd done that despite all odds.
word count: 842

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Stormlands”