• Memory • [Burhan] A Night To Remember

Lorena's 18th Birthday

The seven Duchies of Central Rynmere and their respective baronies, cities, towns, villages, and landmarks each overseen by a Duke of one of the seven noble families and ultimately controlled by the King of Rynmere.
Lorena
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Burhan] A Night To Remember

Ashan 115, 713

One among many Lorena liked to look at the stars, constellations were born from mythology and mythology was born from stories created to help understand the world they lived in. Burned into their memory those stories became the way cultures learned, passing wisdoms of life down through generations. Eighteen long arcs ago her story began and the stars in the night sky had shone just for her.

Embellished in a gown that shone like starlight, Lorena sat upon the balcony gazing in the reflection of the still water fountain below. A picture of elegance, she watched the way the light caught the crystals embroidered in the silky fabric of her dress. Each carefully woven gem radiating a soft natural glow that shimmered in the flickering moonlight.

“Lorena?” the hushed call of her mother's voice whispered from the door.

“Mother,” she acknowledged, lifting her attention away from the calm waters to the refined lady that stood watching her from the other side of the room. A model of sophistication, her mother wore a long navy coloured dress with dark crystals. Every detail screamed of diligence and pride “Is everything okay?”

Naoko gifted her daughter a smile, it was a rare event she had the opportunity to speak with the girl without getting into a heated discussion. “Your guests are arriving,” her mother informed, stepping away from the shadows into the candlelight “I came to check on you.”

A lull of quiet filled the room, biding their wit behind their lips to remain unspoken. Neither parent nor daughter wanted to ruin the occasion. “Let's take a look at you,” Naoko relieved the silence, closing the space to gently lower her hands on either side of Lorena’s bare shoulders. “You're beautiful.”

Relishing in the comfort of their silent treaty Lorena settled into the touch “I’ve been waiting a long time for tonight mother.”

A wave on anxiety flickered across her mother’s face. Naoko understood her daughter better than anyone, “I know,” she said, fiddling with a lock of Lorena’s long, flowing dark hair “you'll dazzle them all. Even your siblings.”

Remorse tackled the young woman’s heart, she held no ire for her siblings other than for the reckless moaning and arrogance. “Yes mother,” Lorena swallowed, rising away from Naoko toward the door “we shouldn't keep them waiting.”
As eccentrics of the Burhan family, Naoko and Unn Burhan kept a less than conventional household. Unn Burhan was a cartographer and enthusiast of ancient artifacts while Naoko took more heavily to invention and seafaring. Between the two of them the idea of building a household as the rest of the world expected of them was a mundane affair and so they created a space where it felt like the world was at your doorstep. Unique in its design the walls were of blue and black marble, etched with silver lines of maps Lorena’s father had charted through the years. Unmatched in its intricacy the stairwell curved like the waves in the sea, a whirlpool of gold drifting down into the foyer, vibrantly decorated by the light emanating from the earth domed chandelier that shone brilliant colours of blue and green in its reflection. And at each side of the entrance, drapes of white and gold welcomed each guest into the family home, all bearing the Burhan family crest.

Beautiful and wonderfully ornate, there was no corner of Lorena’s household that didn't hold some kind of hidden treasure and the place was littered with secrets doorways and fun contraptions. Never a dull moment, the children of the household would have adored the attention their parents placed into their home if not for the lack of it given to them.

Carefully treading each step of the descending waves, gasps of awe sounded as the light caught in the reflection of her dress. There was a whole crowd of people and everybody was looking at her. Lorena could feel the pulse of her heart drum inside of her chest. Extravagant spreads of food had been laid out across the oak tables, with fountains of chocolate fondue and a bar of alcohol. In each of the more public rooms of the house finely dressed men and women stood chatting with one another, some dancing, kissing, all doing their own thing. Lorena was amazed. Her parents had arranged all of this, and just for her. Curtsying in respect to the audience that had kindly chosen to attend her birthday, Lorena studied the crowd more carefully. Venora, Andaris, Warrick, Burhan, Krome, Gawyne and Endor - they were all there. Only, where were Vaughn and Uncle Mal?
Last edited by Lorena on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 780
Vaughn
Race: Human
Renown: 24
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Vaughn had gotten dressed up for the evening in a long charcoal suit jacket and pants in the Biqaj cut, which might have more suited his father had Vaughn not made them look so casual.

He had glimpsed said father in the crowd once or twice as the evening began but had avoided the old man, making sure to keep his distance, as Vaughn was still rather angry at the knight for having come to Burhan an arc back only to steal Vaughn's mother away to Andaris.

If he was to be honest he was angry at himself, too, for his own bullheadedness: that he had resisted visiting his folks after they had moved, out of misplaced pride while his mother grew only sicker.

As this was a night of celebration, however, he would not let his anger nor his father's presence dampen it. Standing in the beautiful marbled hall of the Burhan house, very unlike Vaughn's own more modest home, he sipped a glass of champagne and awaited the moment that Lorena would deign to grace the party.

And when she did, it was certainly well worth the wait.

She was lovely at the top of the stairs, splendid in a gown as shining bright as Vaughn's own clothes were dark, with her cheeks flushed pink from the night air. She sparkled as she descended like the stars themselves had been sewn to the dress. Vaughn heard a couple gasps at her entrance and looked around, amused, as a wave of whispers went through the assembled guests, some speaking of her beauty and others of her rumored belligerence. He made a sour face at a nearby boy, probably closer in age to Lorena than Vaughn himself was, who was practically drooling with his eyes latched onto the lady as she made her slow, almost celestial descent. As he watched, the boy, an Endor if Vaughn was judging him right, made a move as if to go speak to Lorena once she approached the bottom of the stairs. With a deft movement Vaughn stepped forward and cut the other's progress off, turning towards him and flashing him a wolfish smile with just enough teeth to warn that the young lady was off bounds.

With that Vaughn elegantly took the boy's place and made his way over towards the woman of the night. On his way he picked up another glass of champagne, this one full, and carried both his glass and Lorena's over to where the young woman was waiting.

As soon as he met her eyes Vaughn gave her the same wolfish smile and a deep bow, at once honoring and mocking the usual pleasantries expected at such an event. He handed her the flute of champagne and then, perhaps jokingly and perhaps not, kissed the back of her hand, lingering just a bit too long. He looked up at her and grinned again.

"My lady," he said. "I'm afraid I didn't bring a gift." This he had done purposefully; he had planned to find himself under Lorena's power. "So until the clock strikes twelve I'm yours." His cheek showed a dimple. "However you wish."
word count: 549
Damon Andaris
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 32
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

With a glass of red wine in hand, Damon looked at the crowd. Nobles from all houses were gathered in this odd house out in Burhan; surely the inns of the city would be rejoicing as well as the Burhans. In celebration of Lorena's eighteenth birthday, it seemed no expense had been spared. And Damon was very glad for that. Swirling the wine, he looked at the legs of the drink, sniffed the tannins, before throwing back the wine anyway. A little dry for his tastes, but it did the job. Snatching a canape from a table, he quickly ate the morsel, and snatched another wine, swapping the empty glass for the full.

A commotion made Damon turn to see what all the fuss was about. And there she was. Beautifully dress, blushing like a fresh rose, Lorena made her way down the staircase to the polite smattering of applause. She looked more mature, and her dress was filled out nicely with womanly curves. Then again, it had been arcs since he had last seen her at an Andaris family event. Truth be told, he didn't need to be here, but he had received the invitation and been curious, to say the least. And that curiosity seemed to have paid off.

Already a few drinks in, it was no issue for Damon to gather the courage to move through the crowd to see her again. Surely she would smile, laugh, curtsy, fall into his arms for a dance. It would be simple. Easy. He moved with confidence, swagger, drawn to her beauty, but there was a complication. A man stood there, a man he did not recognise, his lips brushing over Lorena's fingers, bringing a pretty blush to her cheeks. Anger, surprising anger, rose within him. He had no claim to this woman, but he had wanted to stake one - even if it were only for the night.

Forgoing all rules of civility, Damon slid toward the pair, a smooth smile on his face. "My, my, little Lorena," he said, grinning, interrupting the pair."Or should I say Lady Lorena, now?" He bowed, hoping to bring a laugh to her lips. "Damon Andaris. Been a few arcs since we last saw each other, so you may not remember me, but I, of course, remember you." Straightening, he sent a simple nod to the man, but felt no need to introduce himself to the smarmy fellow.
word count: 408
Malcolm
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 179
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“I told you we shouldn't have come,” Malcolm said, his voice low. Vanessa was holding his arm tight, fighting to stay on her feet.
“Darling, I haven't seen Vaughn in so long, he's bound to be here tonight.”
Malcolm hummed, sure she was right. Vaughn and Lorena had some unspoken bond, they had ever since they were children, and took advantaged of any excuse to get together. Malcolm wasn't against a match, if that was where the two were headed, but he had hoped Vaughn would take on a bit more responsibility before settling down, perhaps join the navy like his brother, or follow in his own footsteps as a knight.
“Can I get you a drink at least?”
Vanessa shook her head, “anymore and you'll have to carry me home.” She squeezed his hand and looked up into his eyes as if to remind him of better times, when indeed he had carried her home, but not because she was intoxicated or poorly.
Malcolm smiled. “You look beautiful,” he told her, and it was true, even in old age Vanessa had a certain elegance about her, and no matter how old her skin, her eyes were still as bright and full of life as the day he had met her.
It was her turn to smile. “You scrub up okay, for a knight.” Vanessa teased him.
Malcolm looked across the room following the sound of applause, and watched Lorena descend the staircase. He noticed Vaughn make a beeline for her, and averted his gaze, hoping Vanessa hadn't seen the same.
“Oh!” she breathed, and he knew she had spotted their son. “Can we?”
“Give him a moment, my love. We will wait and give Lorena her gift soon.”
word count: 295
Elyna
Approved Character
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Elyna twisted in front of the mirror. Her Aunt had been kind enough to allow the young skyrider a room in which to change after the journey from Andaris. Her Mother had arranged the dress. A deep, midnight blue that slid over her skin like waterfall of shimmering satin. Without a corset it sat snug beneath her chest and tight to her waist, well fitted before it skimmed over her hips and flared less obviously than a traditional ball gown. It was an…well it was an unconventional dress but Caelan had insisted that she, Elyna was no longer a debutante. She was a grown woman, in need of a husband. A husband that would be tempted by the low sweep of fabric along her back. Elyna peered at her spine before shrugging. There was a hum of voices from the hall and she couldn’t delay much longer. Not if she wanted to arrive before Lorena.
It was then she saw him in the mirror, and her heart skipped beats. A grin flashed across her features as the tall man entered the room and lent against the door to fasten it closed.

“Yoreth,” she breathed and remained on the spot. Her fingers trembled as he approached, blue eyes taking her in with slow, deliberate sweeps. “I didn’t know if you’d be he-”
Her breathless excitement was silenced by a kiss. His burly hands through the neatly pinned hair as he held her tight and unable to move. Hungry kisses burnt her skin as he pushed her back against the dresser.
“You look good,” it was a whisper against her fevered flesh. The long skirts were hitched up and pushed to her knees then thighs.
“I thought you preferred me without my clothes?” She slid her fingers through the coarse blonde hair and was rewarded with a chuckle.
“This dress…this dress you can keep.” He replied, voice deep with lust and longing. “I have missed you.”
The U’frek Captain was 34 arcs of age in comparison to her 22. Once the ardent desire of lovers, too frequently separated by duty and distances, had been stated, he helped her to fix her dress into place and re-pin her hair. Elyna heard applause in the background and sighed, she was late. Still, she eyed Yoreth sidelong as she approached the door, it had been worth it.
“Can I steal you for a dance?” The young woman paused at the door, glancing back at her lover, hopefully.
He grumbled but nodded, “We’ll have to be careful…I’m not sure I can dance with you and keep my hands to myself.”
“I’m willing to take the risk,” Elyna offered him a cautious smile. Things were changing, she was older now and doing well with the Skyriders. Perhaps marriage to the Captain wouldn’t be so bad, perhaps her family would bless the arrangement?
Yoreth crossed the room and collected her hand. He pulled the long limb to his lips and turned her hand over his grip. He bit the inside of her wrist, hard enough to make her wince, before he suckled and drew the blood up from the skin.
Elyna was left with a bruise spreading over the pale skin and she stared at him, in horror. What was he trying to prove?
Watching her expression, the man collected a ribbon from the dresser and wrapped it around the mark he’d made. “Now you’re all tied up with bows a ribbons,” he lifted a brow and she scowled at him before slipping through the door. She made her way down the corridor, listening to the sound of the door opening once more and Yoreth departing in the other direction.
Was it a test? If she wasn’t ashamed of the mark he had given her, would he believe that she was ready to announce their relationship? Cheeks flush and eyes bright the young woman circled the hall and found an alternate entrance, slipping in through the side door and joining in the tail end of applause. Lorena did look beautiful. Her cousin collected a glass of wine and drained it, set it back on the platter and collected a fresh flute. If anyone was going to enjoy themselves…it might as well be her.
word count: 721
Lorena
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Delicate like an Ashan flower Lorena stood waiting, her phantom had finally come for her. A wave of heat flushed her cheeks, the kiss had lingered. At this rate, she didn't know how long she could keep a charade of sophistication “Only twelve?” she asked, gracefully stepping down the remaining steps to level with his gaze “careful, I might start to think you’ve gone queer.”

Bright with impish excitement Lorena wrapped both arms around his neck “I’d be heavily disappointed if that were so,” she whispered quietly into his ear. Only to be distracted by the sudden arrival of another player, Damon Andaris. Breaking away from the contact with Vaughn, Lorena could not resist to smile at the stranger’s audacity. It was true, she did not remember Damon. If they had met before it must have been brief. Lorena had a habit of disappearing from parties and stealing the alcohol.

“Maybe,” she replied, taking a mental note of the tension between the two men. Maintaining her outward facade Lorena took a step toward Damon and pressed a kiss to his cheek “Thank you for coming,” the words fell from her lips as she turned to look at Vaughn with a coy smile. There was a danger in teasing the Krome that she loved to entice out of him.

The girl knew had she spoken to Vaughn that way he'd call her an idiot, and jealousy with anger was a lot more fun to play with than resentment with anger. Lorena stayed a touch too long against Damon's chest before taking a few steps back “We were... about to go and have some fun,” she said, settling her eyes knowingly on Vaughn “I don't imagine you would be okay if Damon accompanied us for a while. Would you?”
word count: 304
Vaughn
Renown: 24
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Two could play at that game and Vaughn was finding he liked to play. Lorena went from draping herself against him to draping herself against another man, and Vaughn, expected by all to be enraged, found himself quite the opposite. He grinned from ear to ear, once more showing his teeth.

Lorena had gone from insinuating he preferred men to offering him a man in as little time as it could take to go between those topics, and now, as the drink-saturated Damon Andaris crept up upon her, he clapped the young man on the shoulder in a heartfelt manner, hard enough to slosh the guy's drink a little out of his cup.

"How about you two have your fun and I'll find myself someone else to entertain?" he asked, and pecked Lorena on the cheek the same way she had Damon. He sized up the other man with a look, much the way his father did. "Though I doubt your fun will last too long. If I'm not wrong, I think you'll have a pretty hard time with him Lorena." He paused a beat. "Well, maybe hard isn't the word." Not with a boy so obviously on the drink.

Without further preamble he turned and wound his way expertly back into the crowd. He made sure he didn't look back at the pair and especially not at Lorena. Not once.

It was soon enough that he found another likely partner and approached the young woman with a boyish grin. This young woman seemed more around his age, dressed in a lovely midnight number with a ribbon tied daintily around her wrist. Contrary to the ribbon's daintiness, he caught her just as she drained a glass of wine and was reaching for another. Vaughn joined her with a short bow, finishing his champagne and setting it, empty, on the tray.

"May I?" he asked, offering the maiden a hand to dance. "Or would you prefer to drink?" He hoped the humor wouldn't be lost on her; some ladies may be offended by a fellow observing their intake of wine. "I'm Vaughn Krome," he smiled. "You look familiar but admittedly I don't know your name." He was honestly trying to place her; her face was quite familiar, and he would ascribe her features to a Burhan, but if she was a Burhan he had not had much contact with her in the past.
word count: 425
Damon Andaris
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 32
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Damon smirked easily in triumph as Lorena stepped forward, her body close and warm against his. His eyes flicked to the other man's, even as Damon bent down and pressed a kiss against Lorena's soft cheek, a kiss that lingered far too long to be proper. Even as he did so, his hand came up to catch at her waist, drawing her further in, holding Lorena against his body before releasing her again. It was petty, but it was a fun game to play.

"Of course, little Lorena. How could I miss the opportunity to see what a beautiful woman you've become?" Damon's eyes drifted lazily down Lorena's body, particularly paying attention to her breasts and hips. In all honesty, Damon wasn't entirely sure why he was doing this. He had no claim over Lorena, and to be entirely honest, he did not want one. But there was something in the way the other two looked at each other that Damon honestly just wanted to mess with. This was supposed to be a birthday party. They could have a little fun.

Swirling the drink in his hand, he took another sip as Lorena turned to ask the man a question. Damon cocked his eyebrow. "Yes, man, I see no reason why I should not join your tete-a-tete, do you? It'll be fun, and," he lowered his voice conspiratorially, patting the pocket of his coat, "I have a little something that'll help with that." Still, the man clapped his hand on Damon's shoulder, and he could not help but bark out a surprised laugh, sending a smirk the other man's way. "Come, man, stay." But he was insistent, and turned to leave, not before throwing out one last remark.

Damon could not respond to the wit in time, before the young man sped away, claiming another young lady. Damon stood silently for a moment, lips working, before he did the only thing he could - he laughed. Chuckling, he shook his head, turning back to Lorena. "I assure you, little Lorena, you would have only the most enjoyable of hard times with me. Regardless of the wine." He finished the last of the wine. "Though I imagine that wasn't the intention, not with the way you were looking at him, eh?" Now that the man was not around, he felt no need to pretend, instead wrapping an arm around the shorter woman's shoulders and tugging her into his side. "The offer's still on the table, by the way," he murmured, nodding his head toward the pocket in his jacket where the reevi was ready to smoke.
word count: 449
Elyna
Approved Character
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Elyna looked over the rim of her glass and gulped. It was then that she lowered the glass and turned to look over both shoulders, certain he must be talking to someone else. Nope. There was only the wall at her back. The wine burnt all the way down her throat and she coughed, holding her hand to her mouth and then choked. The wine was hastily set to one side, balanced badly on the tray and toppled off. The glass spinning in it’s descent before landing on the marbled floor and shattering.
“Oh, shit,” Elyna skipped out of the way of the tumbling shards and into the man who had so gallantly approached her. Her hands landed on his forearms and she steadied herself. Never the most elegant of Ladies, they skyrider had a tendency to try and avoid social situations such as this…for exactly these reasons. Still, she found herself staring up into a pair of blue eyes before she straightened and stepped away, smoothing her hands down the soft satin of her dress.
“Sorry,” she fussed with the edge of the ribbon and fought hard to regather her confidence, “I…yes. I’m Elyna, you seem to know my cousin?” She peered over his shoulder at Lorena. She’d been fairly certain that she’d seen this young man draped over the girl of the moment. She raised a brow at the young man and decided that offense might be the best defence. Lorena seemed to be fairly occupied with a new swain.
word count: 258
Lorena
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

By the immortals Vaughn played as hard as he worked and this round she had lost entirely. Leaving her stood starring out at the crowd with a cool and collected expression on her face Vaughn just walked away. Damon’s arm wrapped around her small waist and she turned to him as if he were some sort of alien “Sorry,” she muttered, releasing herself from the taller man’s hold with a regretful smile “I’ve a debt to collect.”

Pushing past the hordes of people Lorena ignored the muttering, the stares and the countless offers to dance as she ran looking for the man. Knowing that he was trying to make her jealous and he had succeeded. When she did find him heart skipped a beat, he couldn't have been with somebody worse. Stood beside him was her cousin, the one and only Elyna. Eyeing the pair with a hurt expression the girl took a step back “Vaughn, I’m…” a flush entered her face as her eyes flickered between the Krome man and her cousin “...sorry.” Flushed with anger and embarrassment she cursed the moment her cousin had decided to join the event. Elyna was the good one, the pretty one, the one that served with honour among the ranks of skyriders and had the respect nobody even took one trill to give her the time of trial. The two of them were even closer of age than her and Vaughn.

Gathering herself again Lorena pretended to accept the affair “Forgive me Elyna. I didn't mean to interrupt,” the younger noble said, bowing her head “I hope you both enjoy the party.” Turning on her heels Lorena wandered away as fast as she could. Once she had admired Elyna for her she was, adored her and even helped the older woman with her studies. Elyna had been like the sister that Lorena always wanted, at least until the day she left. Of all the women that Vaughn could have chosen to wander off with in the ballroom he had chosen Elyna. Of course he had chosen Elyna, everybody did. A touch more hurt than she anticipated to be, Lorena's mind was lost in a haze and before she realised the face of the two figures looming around the outskirts of the party she bumped into Malcolm. “Uncle Mal and Aunty Ness,” the girl said, looking up at her elders with a soft and sorrow filled smile, trying her best to keep up appearances “thank you for coming. I didn't expect you to be here.”
word count: 430
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Duchies”