[Scalvoris Town] Shall we do lunch?

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2080
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

30th Cylus, 717

Stashing her books in her bag, Faith looked up and there, leaning somewhat casually and waiting until she spotted him, was Padraig. Her face showed her delight at seeing him and she moved over to him; she almost hesitated when she got there, though as she considered that he might not want her to act like they were together on the University grounds. In fairness, just a few trials before she probably would have let that thought take over, but Faith continued to take metaphorical steps forward and so, she took the extra physical step, into his arms and she wrapped hers around him. "You're a sight for sore eyes. Were you waiting for me?" Which was, she realised, a stupid question so she grinned and added, "Or one of your other girlfriends?"

She'd been teaching that morning, of course, and he knew that. She'd run home to collect her things, having been given next to no notice and met him just leaving the house, on his way to class. "You've been hanging around a while, your class finished a few breaks ago, didn't it?" Looking up at him, Faith thought he looked pleased, happy and maybe a little bit terrified, too. How strange. "Everything alright?"

Slipping her arm into his, though, Faith considered that they both had class again that afternoon. "Shall we pop home and get some lunch? Or we could treat ourselves to a meal. I've... well, I've got the entrance exam, and not got the other one." Faith's expression told a lot; she wasn't happy about that and she was of the opinion that Padraig was likely to be even less so. "Professor Hamilton-Smith says that he gave a sample of them to Professor Carter to second mark, including the highest and the lowest. Mine was the lowest, but Professor Carter doesn't remember getting them and we can't find them on his desk."

It was possible, even probable, that professor Carter would lose papers, Faith knew. This circumstance, however, just added grist to the 'jealous little snot' mill. "He's not happy that I refused those extra sessions. I don't understand it." She genuinely didn't, not at all. "If it is what you think, why would he want to spend any time teaching me more? Surely he doesn't want to fill in gaps in my knowledge?" She shook her head, just trying to make sense of it. "I did teaching though, and they seemed to like it. Called me 'professor Faith' and everything. I've got papers to grade, look!" That delighted her and he knew her well ~ she knew that she'd done ok. Not great, not in her eyes, but ok. Depending on what he wanted to do, though, she'd be quite content to go and pick at some food with him either at home or out somewhere. Either way, they had things to talk about and she was more than happy to just spend the time with him.
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 529
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Padraig
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 939
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"There is no other woman in all the cosmos. They pale, each and every one," Padraig quipped, teasing her and pushed himself off the support he'd been leaning on while he waited. And why wouldn't he want others to know they were together, that he was the lucky one?

On a more serious note though, as she slipped into his arms, Padraig added, "I knew you'd be here. And yes, I've been out of class for a break or two." In reality, he'd lost track of how much time had passed since professor Dashiell had handed him the dean's note. He'd had too many other things on his mind. "I had...another engagement. But everything's fine. I'll tell you about it later," he promised.

But first, he'd known that she was going to inquire about her test that trial, and he wanted to know how it went. "Let's eat out. My treat," he said and while they went, she told him about her experience that trial. So she'd gotten her entrance exam, but not the one that was most concerning? Why wasn't he surprised? Suffice to say he wasn't.

"Professor Carter, the forgetful one?" he asked. Of course he'd heard many other things about the man, in and around the university. Mostly good things, but it was the forgetfulness, ironically, that one tended to remember. Still, calling to mind their previous conversation, Padraig was skeptical. "Did you believe him?" Professor Hamilton-Smith, that was, when he told her what he'd done with the test.

"So he could tell everyone he tried," he said bluntly, when Faith wondered why the younger man would do it. So they wouldn't wonder if it had been personal, he didn't say aloud. Still, he smiled when she showed him the stack of papers she'd brought along, the ones she needed to grade. "I knew you'd do well. Me though? I have a trick to avoid grading papers. Don't assign any."

He was teasing, but still concerned about the troubles she was having. And he couldn't begin to guess how they might find out if professor Carter had ever had the papers, or not. As a momentary diversion, he said, "I was summoned to the dean's office. That's why I was still in the building. To be honest I thought I'd done something to earn his notice, and his disapproval. But apparently he wanted to offer me a job. Associate professor." He was still a little unsettled by the whole thing to be honest.

"But in order to fill that role, I'll need to pick up study of a second discipline, and earn a diploma. So that I can teach two subjects rather than one," he explained. He'd accepted, he told Faith. But now he was beginning to wonder if he'd committed to more than he could realistically handle.
word count: 511
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

She smiled up at him as he told her that every other female paled in comparison to her, "Well, I love you too and I am delighted to see you." Revelling in her bravery at having stepped into his embrace she rewarded herself with a fleeting kiss and was then more than content to walk together. "That sounds lovely. We can go to the restaurant where I work, if you like? It's very good, even when I'm not cooking." The Knight's Rest was well known for good quality and they were given a warm welcome by the red haired and soft spoken woman who greeted them.

Seated in one of the quiet and secluded booths, they were free to talk as they chose to, seated on what amounted to a high sofa together. It was a difficult question that he asked, in fairness and Faith sighed slightly. "My instinct, my immediate instinct is to believe him. But that's about me." She fished the test paper from her bag, her entrance exam and handed it over. "The pass mark is 60 for being awarded your letter, 75 for the certificate." It was hard to argue with the mark she actually got and she looked at him with a complicated set of emotions evident on her face. "I mean, I'm pleased, really I am. Professor Hamilton-Smith suggested that I'd scraped in and that's evidently not true. But he might have been misled, or misunderstood. He might have given the papers to Professor Carter, but even if those two things happen, I can't understand how I could have flunked so badly. I know it sounds like I'm being conceited, but I'm doing well, Padraig."

Faith was fundamentally an honest woman in her heart and she couldn't deny that she was. "I mean, I'm working hard, too and I can see many places where I can improve, but I'm putting in the time." As someone who lived with her, there was not going to be any doubt about how hard she was working for him. His assessment of why her professor would offer her extra time wasn't lost on Faith and she sighed slightly, hopeful that it wasn't the case but the evidence was stacking more and more in favour of it being so.

However, all of that was forgotten as he told her his news and Faith looked at him in amazement. He'd been offered a job as an associate professor? Her expression told of her pride and delight. She leaned forward and kissed him soundly, unmindful of where they were or whether there was anyone nearby. Her nose touching his, she whispered with a tone which gave truth to the intensity of her feelings, "I am so proud of you." He admitted to being unsure of if he'd done the right thing in taking it on because of the need for two subjects.

Faith raised a hand to his cheek, her voice low and just for him. "You can do anything you put your mind to, together we are unstoppable." It was true, absolutely and completely true to her mind. "Do your best and, if it transpires that it's too much then simply speak to the Dean and see if there's another option. If there is, take it. If there isn't, then decide to step away." It was straightforward to her, if it was what he wanted then they would work tirelessly for it. "Think about what else you can stop doing in order to give this focus. You don't need to work two jobs, Padraig. We can live on one wage each and I can put my wage from here," she gestured around the restaurant, "Into the bank to pay for our fees. We will do whatever we have to in order to make it so that we both are doing what we want. That's the simple truth of it. So if you want this, then we will do it."

She looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "What's your second subject going to be?"
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 705

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Well if it's good, it must be because your exceptional cooking has rubbed off on them," Padraig countered when Faith suggested they dine at the restaurant she worked at. It was as good a place as any, and since he had another class in a break or two, there wasn't really time to go home and return again.

And once they were there, whatever she suggested, that's what he'd order. After all, she'd know the choices better than anyone. While they waited, he looked over the exam she'd gotten from the dean, and considered what she told him. He remained skeptical regarding Hamilton-Smith's motives, but decided that he needn't repeat his misgivings. Faith already knew what they were.

So far as he was concerned, her professor hadn't misunderstood anything. If he was the boy genius he was reported to be, after all, then how could he have?

"It's not conceit, Faith," he told her. "and I don't believe for a bit that you did." Fail, that was. He also didn't believe that the papers were given to professor Carter, but he'd already shared his thoughts on that topic. Therefore they seemed to be at a stalemate and he wasn't sure what they could do, besides him going to see the young man and flatly calling in a liar. And for Faith's sake, Padraig wouldn't do that.

"I'm not concerned about the money," he said when she suggested that one job each ought be sufficient. "Besides, the dean offered me the opportunity to test in the same way you did, and if I score well enough then I can simply study for the level I test at." Hopefully, he could go straight to earning his diploma, but he wouldn't count on it just yet.

"I'm going to give it a shot," he told her. "It's an honor to be offered the position and I can't see why not." As for what subject he'd chosen, he smiled and said, "Chemistry." Of course the dean had seemed somewhat surprised, but Padraig suspected that FAith would understand the reasons why.
word count: 379
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

"In fairness, it was good when I got there. I just add a different dimension, is all." She was content to pick at an executive cheeseboard, she did not usually eat anything at lunch time unless they were somewhere together, but she suggested that he'd like the executive meal with meat or without. The chef here, she assured him, really was rather good and Faith felt very clearly that she was learning a lot.

Their conversation was serious, though, and Faith looked at him as he examined her test. She'd passed it with flying colours, there was no doubting it and the idea that the young professor Hamilton-Smith might have misunderstood or been misinformed was less likely, Faith knew, than the idea that he just told her that she'd scraped by. "It all adds up to him not being a very nice man, doesn't it?" Faith considered thoughtfully what they should do now. "I think you're right about him and his motives." She wasn't concerned about admitting she was wrong, that didn't bother her in the slightest. "Which poses a problem for me, because he's my teacher. I mean, the thing is we have no proof to take anywhere, have no evidence to put forward." She shook her head. "I think we dare not say anything until we know for sure, it wouldn't be fair or right."

Yet, she knew, they had to protect themselves. Both of them. It wasn't conceit he said when she fussed about saying that she was doing well. Perhaps it was, or perhaps it wasn't, but it didn't change the fact that it was."Professor Carter likes my work, in his class I'm doing very well. Even in professor Hamilton-Smith I'm about the middle of the group, or just below the middle usually." she was concerned about the disparity, not just in her marks but in where she sat within her group, but what could she do except her best, she reasoned, and trust the professor to mark and grade her work fairly?

However, his news overrode that all and Faith could not be more proud of him than she was. He was, she told him clearly, a most remarkable man and she was quite sure that, if anyone could do this, he could. He'd chosen Chemistry as his second subject, which she nodded at. "If you were teaching Chemistry first, then Alchemy would be a sensible second choice, but this is the foundation. You misunderstand, though, I think you should consider going down to one job. Not both of us." She smiled at their server as their food arrived and she promptly put two of the homemade breads, one slice and one roll, from her plate to his. "Try that one, I made it. It's quite nice. So, we need to think about this."

There were a few things to think about, to her mind, some of which he wouldn't like. Easy ones first then. "So, we need to make sure that you are at the top of your game in terms of chemistry. I can help you, test you, help you revise it so that you do your best when you sit the entrance exam?" She would be very happy to do that, she assured him. "You need to decide whether you want to drop the apothecary job. I support your decision." There was no need for her to get involved, he'd do there what he wanted to do.

"Although, I'd like to open a joint bank account, if you think it would be sensible? I'm thinking we use it to save money in case of emergencies? Plus, it's saving for the future and we have all of that to prepare for, so it makes sense." She smiled, and then added quickly, "If you want." He might be worried, she teased him with a grin, after all there was always the possibility that she'd spend it all on spelunking kits.

However, there was another point to be made and as Faith picked at her meal with a complete lack of enthusiasm, which was a shame considering how nice it was, she knew she had to say it. "I think we should keep us secret from him. Or we should consider it." Just in case he needed it spelled out, she meant professor Hamilton-Smith, she explained. She was quick to explain, however, just why she thought that. "It isn't for why you might think I'm suggesting it. If he knows about us, then he has ammunition and power. Against us both." Him as a new professor, and in two disciplines? As much as she couldn't hide her pride in that sentence, she pointed out the simple truth as she saw it. "If he's a jealous snot, as we both think he is, then he's going to be jealous of you, too." She abandoned all pretence of eating anything and turned to look at him. "If he knows we're together, he can use that against us both. If he doesn't? Then we know something he doesn't and so have an advantage over him." He could listen to what was said in the teachers' lounge, she could give the student-eye view. It made sense to her but she wanted Padraig to be clear why she was suggesting it.

"What do you think?"
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 927

~ Rharne HQ
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Padraig would take her word for it, for the most part. But he remained convinced that whether it was a healing station or a cafe, Faith's very presence couldn't help to make it better. Therefore the food would be excellent as promised. But he'd have been happy with a cup of tea and a chunk of buttered bread. He was more interested in sitting and talking with her before reporting to his next class.

And no. He could only agree that Hamilton-Smith was not a nice or agreeable individual. Padraig hadn't wanted to press to hard in regards to his views of the young professor and his motives, but to let her come to her own conclusion in her own time. He'd rather he hadn't been right. "You're right though," he agreed when she suggested they not say anything to anyone. At least not yet. "The opportunity was there when I spoke with the dean. But it didn't seem sensible to mention it at all."

"It seems though that at some point, someone would notice the difference," he considered and frowned after thanking the server for bringing their meals. The difference between the treatment of two different professors, he meant. "I'll consider reducing my workload to one job," Padraig added. It would depend he guessed on how time and energy consuming he found the new course of study to be.

As for opening a bank account together, he considered it a trill before nodding. "It beats hiding our money under a matress doesn't it? I see no reason not to. Seems sensible." She was a bit of an impulsive shopper. More than he was at least. On the other hand, the spelunking kit had come in handy after all.

So, what to do about Hamilton-Smith. On first impulse, he didn't care for the idea of keeping their relationship a secret. Or really, just not telling him. But when she explained her reasons for mentioning it, after some consideration it didn't seem like a bad idea. Padraig was skeptical where it concerned jealousy. At least of him. But it was possible, he guessed. Still, it made more sense than otherwise. "Agreed then," he said. "We just won't tell him." At the least it would be an interesting experiment, and might reveal more of the man's character than were they to let him know outright.
word count: 419
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

As much as she shouldn't, and she knew she shouldn't, she was delighted to show him on the menu the two new dishes and explain that they were there because they were what she had cooked for her interview. There would be more, she assured him with an earnest and serious gaze, soon, there would be more than those two. One evening, they should come here, she suggested and then considered and looked at the menu again. "Actually, I can cook it for a tenth of the price. I'll make it at home."

She simply nodded when he said that he could have spoken to the dean but didn't. They had no evidence, just suspicion and that wasn't enough to tarnish someone's reputation with. And he was right, it would have been bad form. As to her different performance (as she saw it) or different treatment (as he did) between the two classes? Faith shrugged. "Who? I perform consistently at the top with Professor Carter, so all of my work ends up going to be checked to make sure that he's not over marking me. Nothing from Professor Hamilton-Smith has gone for checking, but they send off the top, middle and bottom." It was probably why, if Padraig was right and she was growing to believe maybe he was, she wasn't in the middle but just below it. It meant no one other than him ever saw her work. "They keep lists, I know, make sure that every students' work is seen. But mine is. From Professor Carter." At the end of the season, she supposed, when the final marks were put together, it would mean that her grade was lower than Professor Carter expected and higher than Professor Hamilton-Smith did.

Padraig knew her and he, more than anyone, knew how far she'd come in terms of changing and growing in confidence. Faith was very aware of it herself and she knew that, however far it was it was more than enough for him, because it was her. "Sometimes, I feel like it isn't so much that I've changed, you know, it's more like I've.." she searched for the word and then grinned. "Sprouted. Like this is the person I would have been always if I'd always been allowed to be me." Bumping her shoulder against his, she gave a wry smile. "All the words. Really. But you know, I don't think that even that me would be able to appeal against a grade. I can't make a fuss like that, Padraig." So if someone else noticed the discrepancy that was one thing, but she really didn't think she was able to start any 'my marks aren't high enough' appeals.

Her expression moved from serious to amused though, as he suggested that the mattress would no longer do. "We have money?" Faith teased and then added with a mock solemnity, "I'll be good with it, and only buy spelunking kits with my own money, not ours. Unless there's a special offer on and ... ahem." Her grin was genuine although it quickly turned into a look of despair. "You are the same age as him, I believe. He and you are both in your first arc of teaching and you've been offered the role before being fully qualifed because you are that good. Also, you are teaching two subjects and are the first to pioneer the dean's vision?" Faith shook her head. "Jealous snot and very proud see the same things, you know. We just react to them differently." Hamilton-Smith would be jealous, Faith had no doubt. "He knows you're my tutor, remember." Faith looked at him and shook her head.

"If he's as jealous as I am proud, then he is going to hate you. You're going to need to protect yourself." Skeptical he might be; she wasn't. "I wish you could see just how much you've achieved, you know. He's right to be jealous, you're better than him in every way possible." If there was any irony in her words, Faith had no idea of it. She was too busy dreaming up ways in which she was going to hurt, break or seriously get in the way of anyone who spoiled this for him. There was, of course, another question and she suddenly realised it. "When do you start?"
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 759

~ Rharne HQ
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Carter or Hamilton-Smith. Just who was it responsible for the seeming disparity in Faith's performance? Padraig was as sure as he could be, and his opinion was strong. But if he was honest, without real evidence he'd be relying on his gut. And assumptions like that were in truth, less than scientific.

There was also having to admit that he was a less than impartial party to the matter. But didn't change a thing. Just the thought of this man treating Faith unfairly brought about visions of tracking the man down and cleaning his clock but good. Probably wouldn't make a very good impression on the first trial at his new job.

"You're taking a very sensible approach," he admitted dryly. "Somehow I wish you wouldn't, so that in turn I could charge off and have a personal chat with him." She made a good point though that given the similarity in age, the other man might have reason to dislike him on principle. If not jealousy then resentment. And there was very little difference between the two.

"I guess I don't need to start my new job with any rivalries in place," he finally added and grinned a little. At least not any that he went so far as to mention or act on. Just yet. "I believe I'm to start immediately. At least with the new cycle," he told her. And in truth, the thought of beginning so soon was like being up and tossed straight into the deep end.
word count: 271
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

When he said that she was taking a sensible approach and he wished she wouldn't, Faith's eyes lit with amusement. "I will endeavour to be less sensible from now on." He would, she did not doubt, charge off at a moment's notice and 'have a chat' with him. Probably somewhere dark and with his fist rather than words. He wanted, more than anything else, to protect her and the thought that someone was hurting her in any way was too much for him. Faith knew that and she knew why; in some ways why was very complicated but at it's core it was very simple.

It was as simple for her, which meant that she really didn't want him charging off and picking a fight on his first trial in a new job. She lifted her head, though and looked at him with a serious expression at his next words. "There is no rivalry. You are superior to him in every way. There is jealousy, resentment, envy and bitterness. They are all from him. No one else." Her hand in his tightened and she smiled a wry smile. "And if he messes with you, I'm going to take him up on his offer of extra classes, feed him a paralysing agent and skin the soles of his feet before putting salt in his shoes, putting them back on his feet and leaving."

They were just going to have to strategise this, she knew, but that did not mitigate the simple fact that she was incredibly proud of Padraig for what he'd achieved. When he said when he was starting though, Faith's eyes widened. "But.. but that's tomorrow? We have to.. oh, I'm going to have to.. why didn't you tell me? I haven't got time to be sitting around. You need new clothes, a briefcase, supplies. What will you have for lunch?" As soon as she'd said it, Faith realised the last one was ridiculous, but she waved it away. "You'll need lots of chalks, maybe a name plaque for your office, will you have an office?" She gave him a very different kind of grin then. "If you do, I'll visit you. Oh."

As a thought hit her, she looked concerned. "Padraig? As a member of staff are you allowed to be in a relationship with a student? I mean. That sounds like the kind of thing they might not like." That would put them in a situation, it occurred to her. "We should definitely keep it quiet, you know. Although, it's not like you're going to be teaching me, but you are a staff member in the Institute where I'm studying." Did that seem like the kind of thing they'd frown upon, she wondered? Either way, she was quick to add, they'd work it out and frankly it was no one's business but their own.

As they discussed it, she was running through a shopping list in her head. He was going to be the best equipped professor Scalvoris had ever seen if it was anything to do with her.
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 540

~ Rharne HQ
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"It's not that I mind the praise," Padraig teased her. "But someone might accuse you of being just a little impartial." Jealousy, resentment, no rivalry? He wasn't convinced. He only saw himself as someone who'd worked hard and done alright for it. But none of it changed the very real possibility that Hamilton-Smith could end up being a problem for one or both of them. Her rather surprising and amusing threats aside, he'd rather it was him than her.

The topic turned like whirlwind though and Padraig could hardly keep up with Faith's frantic planning. Padraig grinned and shook his head as the waitress arrived again and he paid the tab for their meal before sending her off again with his thanks. "I'll be fine. You don't need to do any of that. I'll pick up what I need after I've finished my last class for the trial." It was talking into the wind he knew. Left to her he'd be the best outfitted associate professor at the university.

As for how others might view their relationship, he shrugged. "They can like it or no. It makes no difference. We don't need to go around telling everyone. But on the other hand, the dean is not a stupid man. And he doesn't lack for observational skills. I'm betting he already knows." Of course the man didn't mention it. Might not have considered it worth mentioning. Either way, Padraig suspected it hadn't or didn't matter to him.

It might to others however. Or at least some might use it against her. And so Padraig agreed, it was their business and no one else's at the university. So having agreed, he suggested that they should part ways for now, at least, or be late to their respective classes. Outside the cafe, he gave her a kiss, a squeeze of the hand, and headed off back to class.
word count: 343
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”