Question on Devotion and Worship

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Inali
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Tutor & Cryptographer
Renown: 35
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Hey,

I was recently reading over the devotion tables list (so much variety, I love it!) and looking over threads that were graded to see how much devotion was being awarded and for what. I noticed something that confused me a little, so I wanted to bring it up here. There was a comment regarding 'not specifically devoting an act to the Immortal in question'.

Now, I don't want to get into a whole discussion about practices of worship throughout time and the differences among them, but I think it's pertinent to bring up that many characters might not mentally or verbally devote acts to an Immortal for a variety of reasons. I've listed some examples below:

1) They don't know of/follow a specific Immortal but are unknowingly very attuned with a certain Immortal's domains. (Think free spirited hippy doing things that Ashan would love, but having no idea who he was!) It would be impossible to 'devote' these acts... would they not count?

2) You could have a character that is unsure of what their Immortal's domains are, so they simply stumble around doing their best. They don't verbally/mentally devote to this Immortal because, hey who knows what that weird Aelig guy likes? I'm just living my life! They could still be a paragon of chaos. Would a paragon of chaos be so predictable as to always devote?

3) A character could be immersed in their action (battle, a particularly intense crafting session) and not have the time or state of mind to devote to that God.

4) This one hits close to home, as this is how I operate my PC. What if a PC simply does their best to follow the domains/guidance of what an Immortal wants but isn't very vocally religious? In the case of Inali, she's more worried about getting secrets and recording them properly as opposed to whispering Audrae's name or praying each time she stumbles across a juicy secret. It doesn't make her less religious, she's simply single-mindedly focused on pursuing those domains instead of praying.

I'd love to hear some feedback on these examples and what does and doesn't count for the purposes of tracking devotion.
word count: 383
Golem
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Templates

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Hey Inali,

You've got some great questions here.

1. You are correct- if we awarded devotion for those it would bring up an odd sense of how Immortals work- they are not omnipotent, nor do they reward people for merely following their ideals. They "feed" off the mortal's devotion, so by devoting, or thinking of a particular immortal as the action takes place, that is what gives the devotion.

2. See above- the idea is that it has to be cohesive, informed worship of the immortal, not just "hey, I like chaos and so do you!"

3. Agreed- we've run into that several times. Typically the players can have their PC either think of the Immortal before the act. For example, in this thread, Nightshade has her PC think of Ethyl before she charges into battle. We're discussing it for "after the act" type of things- the PC reacts to a situation that develops instantly and doesnt have a chance to actually think "hey, I'm gonna do this for this Immortal", which I think is closer to what you are talking about.

4. Unfortunately, merely aligning well with the domains of the Immortal isn't enough. Devotion is supposed to mean your character is religious. It doesn't have to be verbal- her thinking "hey, Audrae would be proud of me," or something along those lines, is often enough to gain devotion. But if your PC isn't religious, she isn't religious.

I hope this answered your questions fully- I'll be having a member of the dev team look this over to make sure that its all gucchi and that I answered correctly :P
word count: 280
Inali
Character Sheet
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

4. Unfortunately, merely aligning well with the domains of the Immortal isn't enough. Devotion is supposed to mean your character is religious. It doesn't have to be verbal- her thinking "hey, Audrae would be proud of me," or something along those lines, is often enough to gain devotion. But if your PC isn't religious, she isn't religious.
So PCs that aren't overtly pious/thinking about their Immortal have no way of gaining additional marks past the first?
word count: 82
Golem
Prophet of Old
Renown: -1000
Templates

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Pretty much- the idea here is that this is supposed to be a religious system. If you're not religious or dedicating actions to your "god" of choice, they don't give you any more of their benefits.

There are exceptions, and depending on the grader they will award devotion differently. We ran into a discussion on staff chat a few weeks ago where we had to discuss what actions were counted towards devotion in a thread I was grading. There were several different opinions on how it would work, but we were all along the same lines- devotion requires conscious thought and attention to the Immortal.
word count: 107
Inali
Character Sheet
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Is there any consensus on Immortals who are unknown/nearly universally despised? Do they 'wither' (for lack of a better word) without a steady stream of devotion? Are Immortals with more devoted mortals stronger than those with a smaller following?
word count: 40
Incubus
Prophet of Old
Profession: Storyteller - Rank 2
Renown: 0
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Well, there is sort of an extra clause - if you're already marked by that Immortal, and thus already firmly hold their attention, they're going to recognize it if your actions and lifestyle fall in line with their desires/interests. So even if you're not dedicating every secret to Audrae, as long as you're marked by her, Audrae will still recognize the firmness of your principles. Every relationship between a marked an Immortal can manifest somewhat differently, I imagine. :)
word count: 82
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”