Next Steps

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Dweeb
Renown: 1379
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Next Steps

"Well, no. I mean, as far as I can tell in these dreams, I'm the most vulnerable I'll ever be. I do things that I've got no control over, I make a right donkey out of myself in the process." And potentially, of course, she pointed out, she could spill every secret to someone like him. "I'd never know. I wonder how kings and queens and politicians and stuff protect themselves? oh!" With a grin which made her look a lot younger than she was, Vega considered. "Arlo, you could be a dream spy! That is such a wicked idea."

It was a brief levity, though and she was mostly faking it for his benefit if she was entirely honest. "You've got protection. I'm about as useful as .. I dunno, high heeled shoes in a snowstorm." Despite her best effort at seeming not to be, Vega couldn't deny that she was worried. She'd hoped that Arlo's response was going to be along the lines of 'no, no, it's fine' or something.

"He said that we'd been lied to by the Immortals, that he'd done it to try and protect us. I mean he was stern and stuff, especially in the first dream. Strong, too." Vega shrugged slightly and looked vaguely uncomfortable. "We were snuggling when I started the second one. He had a good physique. But then, I don't suppose that translates does it? I mean, sometimes, you're a reasonable height when we dream."

Her thought processes went in the same direction as Arlo's; the more she thought about this, the more she thought that this was a dream like her dreams with Arlo, but this man wasn't a walker like Arlo was. She considered, trying to remember and then reached into her bag and pulled out her own journal, which she'd kept only since meeting him and talking about it. "I don't think so, no, I just called him Papa."

Playing the dream back in her head, Vega started to smile and was about to say that at least she hadn't told him her name, when the smile froze on her face. "Oh, Arlo, I'm so sorry." With genuine contrition, she recalled what she had said to him. "I asked him where my brother was, except in my dream he knew who that was so I said 'what about Arlo'? He didn't recognise the name and he questioned me, said that he'd meet you and if he approved you could travel with us, but that when we got to Etzos I wouldn't be lonely and I'd have other children to play with." She sighed and put a hand on Arlo's arm. "I'm sorry. I'd never share your name with a stranger if I had any control over what I was saying, consciously. Can you.. I don't know, are there any tricks you can teach me to ..."

Lifting her hands in the air, Vega sighed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put you in danger; if we need to, we can go to Etzos and I'll give him a spanking. Do you have any tricks you know to stop me having such a big gob even in my sleep?"
word count: 560

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: 625
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Next Steps

"A dream spy?" Arlo repeated, shook his head but in spite of himself grinned a little. It was wicked, sure. And not that he'd ever considered it or thought that he would, but it seemed to him there might be a market for such a thing. "Maybe if my trial job of wandering aimlessly doesn't work out, I might consider it."

But she made a good point nonetheless and it was something he was all too aware of. "The difference is me knowing I'm dreaming and the other person not knowing it. I can think and interact in a lucid way, measure what I say and do. But for the dreamer, all their inhibitions tend to disappear in Emea." Meaning, if there was something they'd dare not say, or even think during their waking breaks, they were likely to let it all spill out in their dreams.

"It's just the nature of dreams, is all," he agreed, when she mentioned feeling somewhat defenseless. He knew she was worried though, in spite of her pretending she wasn't. Still, all this talk about snuggling and physiques, she didn't need to be dreaming in order to tell him her preferences apparently. He might start keeping an eye, in case she developed a tendency to run towards dangerous individuals instead of avoiding them.

But she'd told the man his name, and not her own while she was dreaming. It was a deadpan expression Arlo wore when he eyed her and he uttered, "That figures." It was just as well that most people didn't remember all of their dreams. At least not in detail. If the man was her focus in the dream, then the same was probably true in reverse. "It's alright," he said, and added that the chances of ever seeing that man outside her dreams, unless they were to go to Etzos and actually look for him, were slim to none.

"If that's really where he's going, then I think the farther we remain from Etzos, the better," he said. But was there a trick, or a solution to her problem? Not really, he considered. "So far as I can see, the only way to completely avoid it happening, is to become a dreamwalker yourself," Arlo told her.
word count: 388
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Dweeb
Renown: 1379
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Next Steps

"If you trial job of wandering aimlessly doesn't work out, it will not be through lack of talent, sunshine. You're a damn fine aimless drifter, you are, and don't let anyone tell you different." She couldn't help but smile and she shook her head a little, "You're just jealous cos you hadn't thought of dream spy and now you recognise how fantastic the idea is, I reckon." There was more than an element of truth to those words, she was sure.

He was right, though, it was just the nature of dreams and Vega understood that, but she most certainly did not like it. Not one little bit. She explained to him as best she could and he knew what she meant, she knew, but there was not a thing to be done. Still, the look on his face brought her out of her internal grumbling and Vega caught sight of Arlo's expression and she started to laugh. "What are you looking like that for? I'm just saying that in the dream he was just my type. So that might mean that he was a fiction of my deranged imagination, or I guess... could I have shared a dream with a fat bald guy and put the shape on him I wanted?" She chuckled at his expression, but also focused on the thought she was having. "Because it might be that I don't even know what he looks like." she pointed out.

That was an interesting question, she thought and she considered it. "So, in a dream, am I always me? Like... physically. Even when I've had a dream where I was a child, it was me when I was. Do I have to be me?" There were all sorts of possibilities there, she pointed out. "Being able to pretend to be the King of Desnind would be real handy in a dream, though, wouldn't it?" In a dream with a Sev'ryn, anyhow. Her grin told him that she knew that there wasn't a king.

When they talked about her telling the man his name, though, Vega had the good grace to both look shamefaced and blush. "I am sorry, I really am." If she had any control, she assured him, then she'd have done it differently. "At least it proved I think about you. Not that that'll be a consolation if he's got something against short males with names starting with A or something. " He wasn't the only one who could deadpan, "In the second dream, where he was my husband, you were our son. I need to get out more, you know."

But stay out of Etzos? No problem, they could do that certainly. It was his next words which surprised her, more than a little. "How could I do that? I don't worship Jesine, I'd not heard of her till I met you, really. I can't imagine that she'd have any interest in doing me any favours." She narrowed her eyes slightly, trying to work out if he was being serious or obnoxious and she couldn't quite decide which she thought was true.
word count: 538

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: 625
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Next Steps

It took more discipline and commitment than she thought, Arlo was quick to counter when Vega implied otherwise. In regards to seeming to drift aimlessly, that was. And a surprising amount of equipment too, oddly enough. Nevertheless, when she accused him of being jealous, he shrugged as if it was nothing. "Anyone could have thought of it. It has some merit however," he conceded, though he wouldn't go so far to call it praise for her idea.

"What look?" he asked. "I'm just saying you ought to be careful is all. Anyway, I doubt you dreamed him up as you'd prefer him to look. And it's unlikely he dreamed himself better or different than he is." It was an interesting question she'd asked, and Arlo wasn't sure he knew the answer. He could only guess. "You've been a child, yourself as a child," he remembered. "and you as you are. I think that ordinary dreamers probably just dream of themselves as...themselves. Or maybe an idealistic version of themselves."

It was different than lucid dreaming that way, he guessed. He could imagine himself as a bird, or a deer running through the forest, and make it so. Which meant, sure, "If you were a dreamwalker, I guess you could pass as the king of Desnind. Was there to be one anyway." It seemed a little strange, him being a child in her dream, one that he wasn't a part of. But then folks often dreamed of familiar people and faces. Maybe it wasn't so strange after all.

"You'd have to be initiated to be a dreamwalker," he explained, and added that it wasn't as official or daunting as it sounded. Not at all. "I was initiated by Jesine herself, and marked by her. But not all dreamwalkers serve or follow Jesine, and they're not marked either. Some follow her twin, but others don't." She'd have to know another dreamwalker who could guide her, he added, though he hadn't the experience to do it yet himself.

"You might meet one, the same as you did me. Or you might stumble across one in a dream who could do it, were you interested." Either way, it seemed to him that it was the only way she could truly protect herself in her dreams. He did it when he was there, of course. But he wasn't always. It wasn't something he'd push however, or try to talk her into. She'd asked, and there were ways was she truly interested.
word count: 435
Kaladis Anar
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Apprentice Blacksmith
Renown: -5
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Next Steps

3rd post in
http://standingtrials.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=6005
Treasure Time!

Name: Vega

Knowledge:

Cartography: A Beautiful but Alien Map Design.
Cooking: An Interesting Insight into Local Insect Cuisine.
Deception: Sometimes Your Smile gives more Away than Your Words.
Detection: Arlo Gave you That Look!
Dreamwalking: Keeping a Dream Journal Helped Recount Events.
Dreamwalking: You Better Understand your Subconscious Influence on our Dream.
Dreamwalking: You Gained Many New Insights both Personal and Practical.
Intelligence: Applying your Own Situation to those in Places of Power.
Investigation: Separating the Dream World from the Real World can be a Hard Task.
Logistics: Planning a Trip with a Friend.
Persuasion: Persuading a Friend with Relaxed Humour.
Psychology: When you are Young you Perceive Age Differently.
Rhetoric: Knowing how to Phrase an Uncertain Question to get an Answer you Want.
Rhetoric: A Sincere Apology for Putting Someone in Danger.
Socialization: A Relaxing Day spent with a Friend.
Socialization: It’s about the Journey more than the Destination.
Socialization: Using Humor as a way to Bond.

Locations: Ne'haer: Discovered on a Map.
Arlo Creede: Helped You Better Understand Dreamwalking!

Loot: None
Injuries: 0
Fame: 0
Devotion: 0

Story: 5
Collaboration: 5
Structure: 5

Magic: No points here may be used for magic.

Comment: You guys both did a fine job of covering dreamwalking, I awarded two and then a general dreamwalking knowledge for you both as I felt anymore was pushing it. Vega seems like a good friend to have, casual, relaxed and a fun sense of humour. Very clear and easy to read, it was enjoyable and I didn’t have to stop to backup once to understand something.

Name: Arlo Creede

Knowledge:

Animal Training: Knowing the Limits of Peg and her Preferences.
Cartography: Appreciating the Age and Design of Old Maps.
Cartography: Mariner’s Maps are different to Landlubbers.
Cooking: An Interesting Insight into Local Insect Cuisine.
Dreamwalking: Explaining the Subconscious in the Dream.
Dreamwalking: The Inferences of Imagery.
Dreamwalking: Helping a Friend Comprehensively Understand her Dreams.
Investigation: Questioning the Authenticity of a Claim because it would be Illogical.
Logistics: Planning a Trip with a Friend.
Logistics: Plotting Exact Travel Times.
Psychology: When you are Young you Perceive Age Differently.
Socialization: Ready and able to use your Bruises and Scars to Impress the Girls!
Socialization: A Relaxing Day well spent with a Friend.
Socialization: That Look! Expressions can Mean as Much as Your Words Do to a Friend.
Teaching: Using Abstraction to Explain how Dreamers Interact in Emea.
Teaching: Using Someone’s Input to Assist them Rather than Disregarding it.

Locations: Ne'haer, Discovered on a Map.
Vega: Suggested You Become a Dream Spy!

Loot: 0
Injuries: 0
Fame: 0
Devotion: +1 Cassion Dedication | +2 Thoughts and Words on Jesine’s Domain.

Story: 5
Collaboration: 5
Structure: 5

Magic: No points here may be used for magic.

Comment: Excellent character, really easy to follow and easy to read. Your flow is about the best I’ve read anywhere, and I’ve been doing this a long time! I wanted to put Vega: Is a Girl! Into these knowledges but I resisted the impulse :D. Thanks for the story.

Any questions, comments or feedback please pm me.
~
word count: 535
NPCs: Ralari - Alaya| Themes: Social - Dreams - Nightmares
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”