• Closed • [Viden Academy/Scalvoris Campus] The Note

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

[Viden Academy/Scalvoris Campus] The Note

30th Cylus, 717
Classes for the trial were over and Professor Firevein was watching them pack away. She picked up her own books and papers and looked down as she realised something. Putting down her books, she picked up a folded piece of parchment. "Padraig?" She looked at him and held out the parchment. "My apologies. I was supposed to give you this at the beginning of class. I forgot." With a smile, she added, "getting notes from the Dean. I should have remembered that. I hope everything is alright."

It was, indeed, a note from the Dean. Dean Manyon wanted Padraig to come and see him immediately at the end of class. Which was a good few bits ago now, since Professor Firevein had over run and everyone was getting packed up, slowly. So, he would need to hurry as he was already late.

However, assuming that hurry he did, he would find that Felicia Du'Wintre was indeed expecting him and greeted him with a smile. "Padraig. The Dean is waiting for you. Patiently." She couldn't help it, the addition of that final word, because the young man was late. It wasn't good enough, when it came to the Dean. However, Padraig seemed to be one of those fortunate ones who Felicia liked; it was obvious when you weren't one of those, after all. "Come with me, then." Felicia instructed and led him to the Dean's office. He'd sat outside there, of course, previously, but not been in.

The office of Dean Manyon was a large room with one large window. The longest wall was floor to ceiling book shelf and the books were overflowing on them. He had a large dark wood desk which had on it a name plaque, a deep burgundy blotter, stacks of parchment, folders of varying shapes and a truly gaudy ornamental letter opener. The desk was organised meticulously and, sitting behind it was the Dean. He looked up as Felicia ushered Padraig in and he gave a smile.

Dean Manyon regarded Padraig and he motioned to the chair in front of him. "Padraig Augustin? Come in, have a seat. Felicia, we will have tea, please." Felicia made herself scarce. Whilst she did, the Dean picked up a folder, on which was written Padraig's name. Taking a piece of parchment from there, he put Padraig's enrolment forms on the desk in front of him. "I wonder if you'd check that information, please. I'd like to make sure that everything is up to date. Just until Felicia returns, then we can talk."

When, a few bits later, the two of them had a cup of tea in front of them and Padraig had checked the form, Dean Manyon sat back in his chair, steepled his fingers together and then spoke. "I have heard good things from your professors here. Your record in Viden and Andaris speaks similarly. The class you taught proved so successful that two students have transferred to physics." Evidently, he probably wasn't in trouble.

"Tell me, if you would. Thus far you have completed your letter in Viden, your certificate in Andaris and you are now half way through your Diploma here. What are your longer term plans in terms of your academic career and where or if you will be pursuing any further qualifications?"

He'd start there, because the answer to that question needed to be clear before he went any further in telling Padraig why it was that he was sipping tea in the Dean's office.
word count: 606
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Padraig
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 939
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

In spite of his best efforts, Padraig was late before he'd ever packed up his materials and departed the classroom. Professor Firevein hoped everything was alright? So did he. Because if it wasn't, showing up late in response to a summons from the dean, wasn't the way to improve things any. But he'd gone straight from the classroom to the dean's office.

And when he arrived, miss Du'Wintre reminded him of what he already knew. Patiently could mean lots of things, in fact. He didn't know the man well enough though to make an educated guess. Had someone been watching his performance as a student and a hopeful professor and found him lacking? Had he inadvertently offended someone? Of course there was someone at the university he'd like to have offended in the most forceful of terms. But he'd resolved not to. At least not yet.

Still, he smiled and thanked Felicia when she showed him in to an office he'd sat outside of before, but never entered. "Yes, Dean Manyon," he said, confirming his identity. He hoped he didn't look as nervous as he felt, even as he took a seat. "I apologize for my tardiness sir." He wouldn't elaborate on why that was unless the dean asked specifically. Otherwise, though it was good reason, it would have felt like making excuses.

When he was handed a file with his name on it, he looked up at the dean curiously, but took the folder all the same and went over the information inside. There was quite a lot of it, but in the end he confirmed that it was accurate, all of it. "Thank you sir," he said. Good things, that was, and there was a bit of him that was proud that he'd managed to convert two students into his field of study. Though he wouldn't say it aloud.

When asked about his plans, he really didn't need to think very long on it. "Professionally speaking, I'd like to teach. But I'd also like to continue learning, and to continue my research. My plans are to remain in Scalvoris long term, complete my studies to earn my Diploma. And then, yes," he confirmed, "I'd like to go on to earn a Charter, and perhaps after that, Licentiate."
word count: 397
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Dean Manyon listened to the young man's answers and he nodded his head. He seemed like an earnest young chap and his record spoke for itself. "Professor Dashiell speaks highly of you. Which is rare." He didn't smile but he sounded slightly amused. "We have an opening in the Institute for an Associate Professor. It is usual for you to have completed your Diploma before we would consider offering you a position, but your track record is exemplary." He looked at Padraig with a serious gaze. "And I would rather foster talent I know we can trust. If you were interested, then we would look at starting immediately."

He pulled a piece of parchment and handed it to Padraig. On it were the names of all the professors in the Institute currently. Of the list, three of them had asterisks next to them; Henri Flagstaff, Allyn Freid and John Carter from the Chemistry, Alchemy and Medicine departments respectively. "The post in question is working directly with professor Firevein. However, you will see there, three other staff members who have identified a requirement for an Associate. "

Dean Manyon sat back and tapped his fingers together. "My understanding, and that of your professors both here and in the other institutions, is that you have an equal grasp of chemistry and alchemy as you do of physics. I would like the new position to be one which spans across two disciplines, if possible. It is more economic, it spreads good practice and it fosters more of a team feeling in the staff." All of which were very good things as far as Dean Manyon was concerned.

Therefore, he got to the crunch of the matter. "So, eventually I'd like my new Associate Professor to spend half their time teaching Physics, the other half, one of these three subjects. In order to do that, you may need to pick up extra classes." He looked at Padraig and raised an eyebrow. "If you were interested, next season we'd focus your teaching on physics, get your feet under the table and so on, but you would work in both departments in terms of research. In order to meet the Academy requirements, you'd need to get yourself up to Diploma level at least in your second subject, if you were willing to." Sitting back he looked at Padraig and raised an eyebrow.

"By Ymiden I would need you to have started your studies in your second subject, via entrance exam or from the beginning, whether you continue your studies in physics alongside or not, whilst working as an Associate Professor. It's a lot I'm asking, I understand, but it's how I see things progressing in this Institution." Dean Manyon did smile then, "My son would, I'm sure, agree."

He turned his serious gaze to Padraig and asked "So, mister Augustin. What do you think?"
word count: 493
Current Status:
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

It didn't surprise him that Professor Dashiell didn't often sing the praises of others. As a rule, Padraig remained content in the knowledge that she didn't find fault enough in him to openly complain. Especially now, when he remained unsure why he'd been summoned this way.

But what the dean said next, did take him by surprise. Associate professor? He hadn't even considered the possibility to now, assuming that there was plenty of time before he earned his diploma, to decide what he'd do afterwards. Was he interested? He'd have admit that he was.

He took the piece of paper that was handed him and looked over it. He hadn't met any of the individuals listed, yet, if he'd seen them in passing as he'd gone from one location to another inside the university building or on it's grounds. But he knew all the names very well. "Yes, or at least I'd like to think so," he said and smiled when the dean mentioned his grasp of alchemy and chemistry.

But Padraig would never have anticipated that such a job would come with the expectation that he focus on teaching two disciplines rather than one. It did make sense though, for all the reasons given. Quite the challenge for him, however, was he to consider accepting the offer. The time and energy invested alone would be a challenge.

On the other hand, that the opportunity was offered, was a great honor and some acknowledgment that all of his hard work had been worthwhile. Could he do it? He wasn't the sort to ever say that he couldn't, or believe it either. It was a lot to ask, but he suspected the dean wouldn't ask if he believed it to be impossible. He smiled when the man mentioned his son. "He'll go far I think," he said. At least based on his impressions during that one brief exchange, Padraig believed that he would.

"I think," he said when he was asked, "that I can do it, and if you're offering, I accept," he said. And if the man needed to know then what second discipline he'd prefer, he'd ultimately decide it would be chemistry he'd choose.
word count: 385
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Dean Manyon was many things, and he was far from a perfect man. However, he adored his son and when Padraig said that the boy would go far, his expression was of pride. "I believe so, too. Although, I will also accept that I have an entirely unscientific bias when it comes to him." It was the closest to relaxed and informal that the Dean got, though, as he breathed in and sat back, steepling his fingers and listening to Padraig's acceptance.

"I'm pleased. Be assured that I would not offer you something which I thought you were incapable of achieving, professor." The use of the title was not accidental. "I understand that you will be busy and we will accommodate that a little, at least, in your teaching schedule. Obviously, that can only go so far but I am not asking you the impossible." Just the enormously difficult, in truth, but then it was a challenge and the young man in front of him seemed up to the challenge, Dean Manyon thought.

Still, he was surprised when Padraig chose chemistry. "The less glamorous choice, I'd say. As you wish, that works well for me." He didn't argue with him or ask him why, he simply accepted it. "I feel it is important that I am clear with you, professor Augustin." It seemed likely that the dean was clear a lot of the time. "I know of no job so noble as that of the teacher. The miracles of the future will be inspired in these halls and I expect nothing but excellence. My staff turn up on time, they are prepared and they deliver for the entire session. My students?" Quite evidently, he meant all the students here, not just the ones he taught, if he did any teaching. "They have their papers graded with useful feedback and they leave each session well aware of why that was useful to them. "

He pulled out a piece of parchment, then, and it was fundamentally an application form. Padraig's details, or all those which could be transferred from the papers he had already seen, had been put in there. There were some sections to fill in. "I need to be clear with you and please understand that I give this speech to every new staff member." Dean Manyon sat forward and looked at Padraig with a very intense expression. He was obviously very passionate about this topic. "I can not and will not ever allow unfairness in my institution. If there is a student who, for whatever reason, you can not treat fairly, then I expect you to tell me. That will not be held against you, quite the opposite."

As though for emphasis, Dean Manyon tapped the desk. "However, if I hear, or have reported to me, the unfair treatment of a student or colleague, I will investigate. If I find any evidence of injustice, you will be removed from employment with immediate effect. I trust that is clear." It probably a good thing that he'd told Padraig he did this speech to everyone; this was something he felt passionately about and it made him very focused. " If you are unwell and unable to fulfil your obligation, I expect you to send in the plans and resources for you lectures. They should have been prepared in advance, but if you are unwell for more than three trials, we will have put someone else in place and you will no longer need to do so." It appeared that Dean Manyon was a bit of an organiser.

He sat back, then, silent as Padraig, presumably, filled in the form. "Are there any questions?" If there were, he would answer them as fully as he could. Either way, he offered Padraig his hand, standing as he did. "Welcome aboard, Professor Augustin." He did smile then, but then added. "Oh. One last thing. I'll be assigning you a mentor and I have someone in mind. Is there anyone you'd rather not be partnered with?"
word count: 685
Current Status:
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"As all parents do, I'm sure," Padraig responded when the dean admitted a bias for his own son. Of course he and Faith didn't have any children of their own. But he did believe that they had the best dog and cat in all of Scalvoris Town.

That the dean was confident that he could perform well enough to achieve what was being asked of him, helped. It didn't entirely ease the sudden case of nerves he'd developed. But on the other hand, the man's faith in him was enough for him to resolve himself to not disappointing the dean, or making him feel that his faith was misplaced. "I will do my best not to disappoint, sir."

But was chemistry the less glamorous choice, when compared to the study of alchemy? Maybe, but Padraig wasn't convinced and felt the need to explain his choice just a little. "Alchemy is a fascinating discipline and the possibilities seem as good as endless. But without a solid, even exceptional understanding of chemistry as a foundation, an alchemist cannot begin to explore all that alchemy has to offer." It would be like throwing a poor swimmer into the deep end and expecting them to excel at it right at the start. Or an invitation for a would be alchemist to blow himself up in the process at any rate.

But it was a good thing the dean had assured him that every would be professor received the same welcome speech. He'd have wondered what he'd done to earn it, had it been otherwise. Being on time, being prepared, he could do that. Assignments and grading, he'd work on it. Being fair to all, certainly. He smiled and nodded then. "Of course, sir."

So when the folder came his way again, he filled out the form there and handed it back with a smile. "No questions, and thank you sir." But a mentor? He could only assume the dean's preference was someone from the chemistry department. But if there had been anyone he'd prefer not to work with, he'd never consider saying that now. Very bad form, he'd think. "I've no objections at all to whoever you choose, sir. I'm sure it will be the best choice for all concerned," he said.
word count: 393
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Thread Done!
Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/5
Structure: 5/5

Knowledge:
Etiquette: Be on time
Etiquette: Apologise, don't gush excuses
Logistics: Organising two jobs, two qualifications, two pets and a household.
NPC: Dean Manyon
NPC: Dean Manyon: Has heard good things about you
NPC: Dean Manyon: Very concerned with fairness
NPC: Dean Manyon: Offered you a job
NPC: Dean Manyon: Pleased about what you did for his son.
NPC: Dean Manyon: Has a vision for the Scalvoris Campus
NPC: Dean Manyon: Very exacting standards and high expectations.

Loot: +1 job, +1 mentor (either of the chemistry profs, your choice)
Devotion: None
Fame: +5 (got a job)

These points can't be used for magic. Don't try!

As always, great fun. Please feel free to consider this your acceptance in the job role of Associate Professor. Demands and perks are included in the Scalvoris Campus write up.
word count: 156
Current Status:
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”