Q & A about Spirits and Souls

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Plague
Race: Mer
Renown: 260
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

Hello all, just wanted to establish this here. Spirits have been released to the Knowledge Base and Souls will soon follow. I'm sure you will all have questions so feel free to address any here as we implement this new lore change.
word count: 43
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2080
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Don't know if this is helpful - but I wrote this following some clarification from Plague about souls which Faith, as a marked of Famula, can see. Hope it helps.
word count: 30
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Viraya
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 0

Which section of Emea is the Beneath located?

Does a Sev'ryn familiar go to the Beneath when it is slain in the physical world?

Can a Sev'ryn familiar touch creatures made from ectoplasm or ephemera, and subsequently harm, be harmed by, or restrain them?

Can a Sev'ryn lean against a familiar, possibly even stand upon them to appear 'floating'?

Will a Sev'ryn familiar reflect changes to the soul of the Sev'ryn beyond just the eyes? Potentially changing color, gaining monstrous features, etc.
word count: 87
Plague
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

The Beneath is not in Emea, or rather, it has not been added to that description.

In Emea both the physical and the spiritual have solid forms, existing in the same dimensional confines. In Idalos, there is a division of states which creates the Beneath

2. It certainly can, but the Beneath can also be dangerous. It may just stay in the physical world, but remain unmanifested. Once a Sev'ryn Familiar bonds they usually try never to leave the same dimension their soul counterpart is in.

For a spirit there are different states of being. Manifested and Unmanifested.

In the physical world, spirits can exist Unmanifested...in a kind of invisible and ephemeral state. They often take this state for observation and feeding, but have little to no power to use their abilities. When manifested they have physical force attached to them and can often be seen or at least some part of them is made known.

In the Beneath, all spirits are counted as being Manifested...but it takes MUCH more energy to manifest on the Physical plane.

3. Yes it can.

4. No. Unless the familiar is manifested (in which case it can be seen)

5. That is a question best asked of the race writer. My estimation would say yes, that the spirit changes with the soul it is attached to, but a final arbitration is not mine. I would check with Jade or Nymph.
word count: 239
Limbo
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Parasite
Renown: -108
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

What would happen if spirits of one concept suddenly started appearing in great numbers within Idalos? Kinda of like a massive immigration through Vergences because of *plot idea I won't reveal*. Would there be any major consequences for Idalos or the Beneath?

Is there some sort of balance that must be maintained between Idalos and the Beneath? If so, what would happen if this balance is greatly upset?

Really like this update.
word count: 73
Plague
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

Absolutely. That Concept would reinforce itself in much more prolific ways. The Spirits feed on their Concept but also cause it.

There is usually an internal balance between the worlds, but it CAN be upset to disastrous consequences.
word count: 38
Kaladis Anar
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Profession: Apprentice Blacksmith
Renown: -5
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

So there are a couple of ways I can run this minor spirit thief arc I have running. The first is where a bunch of thieves essentially use them to find whatever the spirit was associated with. A spirit of coin, gems, metal, sometimes more subtle things, you get the idea.

1) Do people gain insight into a spirit after having been possessed by it? I am hoping yes as this will be the easiest, but no worries if not.

2) Can people contain more solid spirits in a vessel of some sort? Thus they'd become actual spirit thieves!
3) If no to 2), can people exorcise the spirit and then put it in someone/something else? Slaves for example.

4) Do spirits possess animals.

5) What do you think to a small market where spirits are traded like goods? :). I have made a couple of steps to this but nothing fully yet. Slave market on the surface as a front for the spirit trade beneath. Which groups would be hunting such underhanded activities. Does anyone defend the balance of the spirit/physical realm? If not that's a great sub i'd love to work on, to get a 'good' inquisition under my belt.
Last edited by Kaladis Anar on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 206
NPCs: Ralari - Alaya| Themes: Social - Dreams - Nightmares
Plague
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

1. Yes indeed they do.

2. Yes. Mostly a Pact or Ensorcelling thing. Hasn't come out yet, but it is possible.
((Although not so much forcing them INTO people))

4. Sometimes yes. Only if necessary and very rarely is it a spirit not associated with that animal

5. I rather like that idea quite a bit. I'd love to see you develop it.
word count: 65
Mal
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: -92
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

1) Can the Beneath be accessed from Emea through a Vergence?

2) Are there Spirits of Concept hanging out in Emea, or only Diri?

3) Are there Induk in Emea?

4) What limitations are there on concepts? Could I have a Baguette concept spirit, or would I need to have a concept about something broad like Baking?

5) What are some examples of the phenomena a powerful Anak bound to the soul of an Exalted Loshova could create?

6) How would the resistance to a concept be played out for a Loshova? At Exalted, would a Loshova basically have arrows veering away if he had a Spirit of Archery, etc? Or would the arrows just have a hard time breaking the skin and applying force?

7) Are some types of concepts rarer than others?

8) Are concept spirits everywhere en masse in Idalos, or are they a little rare to come across?
word count: 152
Plague
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

1. No. The Beneath is an aspect of the physical world, not Emea. Emea has no Vergence because there is no Beneath in Emea.

2. Mostly only Diri. A spirit of Concept wouldn't want to stray too far from its Concept...else it perish.

3. If so, they would be alien...if there are Anak they would be of Concepts too strange to name.

4. Use your best judgement. Baguette is a little too specific. But a Concept of Bread could very well exist.

5. That is...hard to say. Depends on the Anak. Elemental ones do things similar to Defiance. Some of food could create food for multiple people. An Anak of Horses might be able to call a herd of them nearby under your command or even transform you temporarily into one...or perhaps become a steed that could run up mountains or across water. There's a lot of creativity here.

6. Arrows would veer away. If they had a spirit of Metal, the metal may not pierce their skin. Consider how the Concept would effect the action. To defend against a blade, you'd need to have resistance to what it is made of...to have resistance to getting shot (veering arrows,) you'd need a Concept of archery.

7. Absolutely. Depends on where you are. Spirits of Industry would be unheard of in the wilds. Spirits of War are not all that common till there are lots of wars. Spirits of Cataclysm as well.

8. They are 'everywhere' but they are not densely populated. It's entirely possible to go cycles without seeing another spirit...unlikely, but possible.
word count: 274
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”