A person with your skills

Xander meets with Edalene to discuss politics and they run into an acquaintance of Eda's.

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Single father | Duke of Andaris
Renown: 142
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

16th Cylus, Arc 717

It was a cold evening and Xander had his coat pulled close around his body, the collar turned up to protect his neck as he had no scarf. He leaned against the wall of the building he had arranged to meet Edalene, the woman had not made the best first impression but as the lesson the day before had gone on she had become more bearable. He was still not sure he could trust her but she would be useful if he could find a way to bring her to his cause. He just had to think what he could offer her and what would make her loyal. The last thing he wanted was to tell her of his plans to be betrayed the next day.

He rubbed the stubble that had grown on his face in thought, the bristly hair tickling his fingers. He sighed and watched his breathe turn white like steam in the twilight as well as the yellow light sent from windows over by the street. He was in an alley way and it was quite a dirty one as he was in low town, a place he was sure few nobles ever braved to visit. He, however, felt comfortable enough with his sword at his hip and his simple clothes. It was clear he was not of there low standing but he did not appear a noble either.

His hand rested on the hilt of his blade as he waited in the cold watching his breath and listening to the sound of people passing in the streets. Finally he heard the sound of footsteps in the alleyway and turned to face the person who had entered. He was happy to see it was the woman he had invited to meet with him, Edalene her skin was almost as pale as the air that came from his mouth.

"Ah Edalene, hello, I asked to meet here so we could make sure you weren't followed." He peered around her to look that nobody was behind her or at the corner of the alley watching them. "We aren't staying here though, there is a bar around the corner that will serve our purpose well." He smiled as he let go of the hilt of his sword and began to walk hoping that Edalene would follow him. It was only a couple of hundred metres to the bar, 'The Blacksmith Arms', which was where they would talk.

They would exit out into the street quickly Xander leading the way and looking over at Edalene. "Sorry to make you come out all this way to low town but I would rather not discuss this in the university. Not that I think all are but that place could be crawling with men who report for the king." His speech now hinted at him doing something he shouldn't his guard had lowered a little now but it would soon be up again when they would run into someone unexpected.
Last edited by Xander Andaris on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 513
Edalene
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Seeker
Renown: 39
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

A day later, and questions swirled around in her mind, like a hurricane. She had been infuriating to be around; her brother could hardly stand to be in the same room as her. Her fingers would itch, she would get up and pace, down glasses of water and wine non-stop. Eventually, the hour had come, and Edalene left the house bundled in layers, into the cold.

Carefully, she made her way to the Low Town, stepping around black ice as she went, her hood drawn close around her face - not for secrecy (as far as she knew there was little to be secret about, yet) but for warmth. Closer and closer she came to their meeting place, doing her best to move swiftly, but treading as carefully as she could. There had been so much left unsaid, and Edalene was itching to find out. She could almost taste the tantalising secrets in the air; she followed them like a hound on the hunt.

Quickly she came to the corner of the alley Xander had asked her to meet at. He stood there, leaning against the brick, his hand on a hilt. Edalene swallowed, steeling her nerves. She watched as he recognised her while she approached, and she was glad to see the loosening of his grip on the blade. Not for her, then, but for protection. Nerves arose inside of her again - what kind of meeting was this, that Xander was scared enough to keep a blade at hand?

"Xander," she said, bowing her head in greeting. She swallowed, looking from his face to the sword. "I see you came prepared for anything." She inclined her head, gestured out with one hand for the man to lead on. "Yes, I know the bar you're speaking of. I'm surprised you did, though. It is the Low Town after all." Yesterday, her frustration with the man's noble status had abated slightly, but still, for all the man's good intentions, he retained that class that Edalene had such ire towards.

Edalene followed him as they walked toward the pub, her gait stepping into rhythm with his.
"This is not far for me. It's a bar I frequent." She quirked her lip in confusion. "You, however, have still not told me what this discussion is about. Only vague hints." She reached the door of the Arms, pushed it open. Suddenly, a burst of warmth. She removed her hood, cast aside her glance for a table. Finding an empty one to the side of the room, she strode over and hung her coat over the seat.

"Now," she asked, turning to Xander. "Is this conversation going to require wine?"
[/align]
word count: 459
Melody
Approved Character
Profession: Teacher
Renown: 30
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Melody found herself without much to do on this particular day. She had let out class early today after her students completed all of the work she had assigned them for the day. So she had decided to spend the rest of her evening lazing around her father's blacksmith shop. It was much the same as when she was a child. Father would rush around the place working on iron and steel while Melody gazed on. Every so often he would slip out a piece of information about smiting or smelting, not that she could use it, but she was always happy to hear something.

When the hour drew later and her father prepared to close up shop she pressed a big hug into him before saying her goodbyes. Melody grabbed her coat and fastened it around her small frame, always hoping it would cut through the cold Cylus air. Then she tossed her pack over her shoulder and headed off into the twilight of the streets. The bitter cold of the season greeted her all at once as she stepped away from the door to her father's shop. Melody looked around and wondered what to do with the rest of her day. It was not often she came to this part of Andaris anymore, she rarely had time to visit her father at work since taking on work of her own.

The weather was dreary and always threatened to bring down the mood of those caught in the elements. Few people were on the streets as she pressed on through the twilight, her fingers curling up inside of her coat like turtles looking for protection. Eventually she came upon a fairly well known and established bar, The Blacksmith Arms. Her father had often spoke of this place in her childhood. Apparently it was where a variety of merchants, information seekers, and people of all other kinds flocked to for a good drink.

Now while Melody was not exactly known for being a large imbiber of alcohol she could occasionally go for a good glass of wine, if the mood was upon her. Luckily for her, or perhaps unluckily, she was in one of those moods tonight. The small teacher pressed on and down through the doors that led to the underground tavern. Smells of all kinds and the warmth of many hearths greeted her at the door. Groups of people were all over the tavern conversing, playing card games, or just plain drinking. She had almost expected the place to be full of low lives and thugs but from what she could tell most everyone here was just a normal looking person having a good night.

That's when she noticed a familiar face sitting at a table off to her left.

Edalene!

Her own face lit up as she cautiously approached the woman who had her stunned just a few trials earlier. She was with another man which caused her heart to sink for a moment but her will pressed her on regardless. "Hi Edalene, sorry to interrupt. I didn't expect to find you here." Melody smiled and waved as she approached the fellow knowledge seeker. "Perhaps you could introduce me to your friend? If i'm not butting in, of course."
[/align]
word count: 555
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

She seemed to be worried about his sword, he spotted her eyes looking at it before she mentioned it. The motion of her head and the words seemed to suggest she did not carry a weapon. That could be wise or foolish, by carrying the weapon it did mean he was more likely to need it but he would rather be ready to defend himself. He felt he needed it in the lower parts of a foreign land, he did not dislike commoners in fact he enjoyed there company it was them who did not like him. "Better safe than sorry." He said simply as he lead the way.

"Be patient." He looked over at her as they walked in the cold, clearly his subtle hints and accidental hit ups had left her wanting a lot more. "I would rather be sure of my surroundings than speak so openly in a place so hard to watch for prying eyes and ears." He looked around him at the open street, it was much easier to keep tabs on those close by and in an enclosed space. A cool breeze hit his face before they entered into the bar and it was replaced with a blast of warmth.

Xander followed Edalene over to the table and as she sat he sat down across form her. The table was over against a wall and was more out of the way of the crowded bar and the busier fire place. He placed his coat over the back of his chair much like Edalene had done and then relaxed a little sitting back against the back rest and looking the pale girl over. "I will take a cider actually, I never quite found enjoyment in the taste of wine."

He started to speak ready to begin his explanation. "So, I am not like many of my...." His voice trailed off as he heard the voice of another woman. His mind quickly jumped to conclusion, was he being set up. He heard her say she didn't expect to see her but he was not a strong believer in coincidence.

He was quickly on his feet with his hand wrapped tightly around the hilt of his longsword. The top of the semi drawn blade reflected the light of the flames and candles in the room. He glared at the woman while trying not to draw too much attention from the others in the room. She carried no weapon and so he released his sword as she appeared to be rather distracted by the woman and so he grabbed her.

He tried to make it look like he was greeting her in a friendly half hug as he took another chair with his spare hand. In truth he was pushing her into position at the table and pulling a chair in below her to force her to sit. He was doing this and it would be easy if she complied or difficult if she resisted but he doubted she would be strong enough to oppose him. He would never normally force someone like that but he felt threatened and this seemed like his best option.

Once she was seated he too would return to his seat and look between the two woman. His face was straight but it was clear he felt uncomfortable and awkward with the situation. "Who is this? Am I being set up?" He asked without hesitation and straight to the point. He was not going to beat around the bush on something that could end up with his execution if it went wrong. He did not take huge risks he was a calculating man and one who guarded his secrets, not one to tell any woman who showed up and he was not even sure yet that he would tell Edalene.
word count: 647
Edalene
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Edalene sat, quirking her lips. How could someone not enjoy wine? Honestly, it was unthinkable to her. But still, she waved over a waitress.
"A glass of the house red, and some hard cider for this man who doesn't know what a good drink is." Edalene smirked at the waitress, a pretty red headed thing, before turning her attention back to Xander.

Yes. Finally. She watched him settle in, casting a gaze around the room. She leaned forward, on her elbows, ready to finally hear whatever it was the man had been alluding to all this time. Not like many... and then all of a sudden, a voice. And the colour drained from her cheeks.

Melody.

Fuck. Of all the times for such a pretty woman, especially one she had connected with before, to turn up - this was not the time. Turning slowly, she smiled mechanically, her grin forced onto her face. And she had been so close to hearing what Xander had been itching to say.

"Melody," she said, trying her best to sound as warm as possible. "How nice to see you again!" And for all the inconvenience, it was. She had such a pretty face, and there had been something there the last time they saw each other. Edalene did want to explore that, but gods, not right now.

"Of course," she said. "This is Xander Kr--" But all of a sudden, the man was up, powerful as a bull, his cheeks red with rage. Swiftly he moved in towards Mel, his sword half drawn, and he wrenched her in towards the chair he had just vacated. Eda watched with wide eyes, mouth agape. "Xander! What are you doing?" she hissed, aware that for all of this action, he had been on edge all night - and she knew getting the barstaff involved would be the wrong move. And dangerous for Melody.

Her eyes flashed towards Melody, breath coming tighter when seeing those blue eyes widened in fear.
"Set up?" she gasped, looking to Xander. "Gods, no! Just calm down. Let her be. God, no, I didn't even know she'd be here!"
[/align]
word count: 366
Melody
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Melody was beaming her brightest smile as she looked upon Edalene.

Was.

Everything happened in just a few trills. One moment Edalene was telling her just how happy she was to see her again. And Melody would be lying if she said she felt any different about the woman. But just as the name of the man escaped the lip of Edalene he suddenly stood up from his seat at the table. He had his sword half drawn for barely a trill or two before returning it to its sheath. It was then he grabbed onto Melody and pressed her into a chair at the table. His eyes were lit with fire and determination. Her own started to look around in fear and unease.

Despite the small amount of chaos that ensued in the short time Melody was able to catch the name of the man, Xander. Xander sat down between the two women as Edalene yelled at him. "W-what's happening, Edalene?" The teacher looked upon her female companion with eyes of want. But at that moment they did not want for her form they wanted for an answer. Her hands began to tremble under the table as Xander accused their meeting being a set up.

"Set up? Set up for what? I-I just came in for a drink." Melody gulped as she looked between the two at the table. Xander's expression was not letting out, it was stern yet his eyes looked between the two women in what she could only guess was paranoia. Edalene was staring straight into her. Though she wasn't sure if she looked sorry for her or she was angry. Neither of the two seemed like something she wanted Edalene to feel just then. But what was actually going on in front of her?

Why was Edalene meeting this man, Xander, in a bar in low town? Did he have something to hide? Did she? Was there something else? The expression on the teacher's face changed to that of sadness. Were they here because...no, no, no it couldn't be. That night they ran into each other purely by accident had been something else. Melody was sure there was a spark between the two..she felt it, and she was sure Edalene did too. Perhaps she was wrong. "Should I leave..is this..something?" She looked between Edalene and Xander a few times, trying to get her implication across without the words behind it.

Truthfully she didn't want to say it. It almost felt like something she would rather be ignorant to than to accept that it may exist. But the thought kept nagging on in her mind as she waited for a response from the two.

Were they on a date? Gods she felt like a fool.
[/align]
word count: 479
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Xander was in too deep now, he did not know what to do. His mind was a blur a mess of emotions as his paranoia kicked in. He could not think straight as he sat and looked from when woman to the other. It did not seem right for this Melody to have just shown up, no it couldn't be. Xander struggled with trying to believe it was just random, he wanted to believe it as Edalene would have been a useful ally. Yet, to him it felt like he was being set up, like this was some trick so he would share his treasonous plans and be caught.

He ran his fingers through his hair and then rubbed his temple as he tried to think, Edalene's voice filling his ears. She swore it was no set up and very quickly after Melody also expressed it as being random. Xander took a deep breath as he attempted to clear his mind and think of a solution, although by the fear and shock he saw in Melody's eyes it seemed legitimate. Still he wished there was some way of proving it. He was about to speak his mouth even opened before it snapped shut as the waitress suddenly place a glass of wine onto the table.

"Thank you miss." Xander said as he smiled at her casually while taking his cider from her hands. He placed the drink on the table as he looked again between the two women. He bit his lip before finally speaking once the waitress was gone, he appeared to have calmed somewhat. "I struggle to believe this is random, it is a dirty world and I am sure greater men have fallen for cheaper tricks if that is what this is." Xander eyed them carefully as he again rubbed his temples.

Xander looked around and then leaned in, so he was closer to the others. "I struggle but I have never seen such real fear in someone's eyes." Xander gestured toward Melody, the woman was clearly not used to such encounters and in fact neither was he. "Maybe I can believe you but should she be here, do you wish her too to know and can she be trusted?" Xander was questioning the two of them in a way but it would appear more like he was questioning just Edalene.

Xander looked now at Melody, the poor innocent and sweet girl he had just scared half to death. "No, this is not...'something', as you put it and no you stay, for now at least." He looked her over, a rather small framed person and of little danger physically to Xander but who knew what she might be planning mentally. "I would rather you not go and tell all your friends of this and so I will need both of you's word before you can leave."

"As for you Edalene, I may still tell you what you wished to know, but first I wish to see if I can trust this new person here." Xander looked at her again and now turned in his seat. He hated having to prove people's true intentions but sometimes he could read people well and maybe now she would make it clear. "What are you doing here, why are you here and were you asked too come here by Edalene or any other person?" He watched her eyes carefully to gauge her reply.

He tried to smile, he wanted to appear reasonable and so he added one final thing. "I am sorry I acted so rashly, maybe you will understand soon why." He looked between both of them again but his focus remained mostly on Melody to see what it was she did and if she could be trusted.
word count: 644
Edalene
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"I don't know what's happening," Edalene hissed in answer to Melody's stuttered question. Whatever it was that Xander had felt necessary to tell her, it must have been big - big enough to assault a young woman in a tavern as busy as this one. She glanced around, checking to see if anyone had noticed the commotion. It seemed foolish to call for help, as Xander still had a hand resting on his sword, and the man was unpredictable. Instead, she kept her gaze fixed narrowly on Xander - and did her best not to look at the frightened Melody's face, for fear her heart would fall right from her chest in fear.

"You had better explain right now, Xander, or so help me -" But she was cut off by the appearance of the waitress bringing the two drinks to the table. A wooden smile toward the waitress, and Edalene's hands gripped the table with all her strength, for she far wished them to be around Xander's throat right now. Such anger from such a petite thing, and all prompted by a driving force in her cut that she could only now put a name to - possessiveness.

It had been only a few days, but the feeling that rose in her belly now was only explained one way. Melody was hers. She had not said as much to the woman, but gods help her, no one would touch Melody in such a way - save for Edalene herself. Glaring at Xander, he tried to explain away his actions, as if they were the actions of a sane man! A growl gave way in her throat, and she leaned forward onto the table, glaring daggers at Xander.

"You will never touch her again," she hissed, before leaning back with an affect of casualness, taking the red wine to her lips, before staring at Melody with an intensity in her eyes. Passion, rage, lust, all burnt in her eyes - but perhaps Melody would see in the brightness of her stare some relief. Here, she spoke to the petite woman. "No. It is not anything at all." And the stare to Melody would perhaps portray the sincerity of her words.

Turning back to Xander, Edalene rolled her eyes.
"Oh, now you want our word? Now you're worried about us running off and telling our friends? Maybe I should tell the guard that you, a nobleman, laid hands on a commoner, unprovoked. I'm sure the public would love that - after all, Xander, you must know of the growing ... disenchantment with men like you." A dangerous threat. One she could not back up, not if the nobleman tested her, but the words tore out of her like ice.

"You will tell me -" she growled, but Xander's attention swiveled to the shaking young woman. Edalene bit her tongue, and took a long sip of red wine - the colour of anger.
[/align]
word count: 499
Melody
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

When the barmaid had arrived with the drinks Melody was quick to put her hands up in regards to the woman's incoming question about a possible drink. A stone and rigid smile forced its way across the teacher's cheeks. No more did she desire the taste of wine she sought after just moments before arriving in the bar. But it seemed the others would still be partaking in their particular drinks of choice. After the barmaid was one Melody's face returned to that of partially confused and fearful. "I swear..I was just coming in for some wine." The woman motioned towards the drink that Edalene held in her hands. She wanted this man, Xander, to believe her but in the back of her mind she feared whatever this was turning into was going to escalate.

Melody looked between the two as Xander questioned her friend. What did she need to be trusted about? What did this man know that seemed to put him on edge so badly that he almost drew a blade to her? But really the most important question at hand, who was this man? The thought of his introduction by Edalene to her drifted through her mind. Xander was clearly his first name but his surname had been cut apart by the initial commotion of her arrival. She could recall the cracking of a 'c' or 'k' sound resonating from Edalene's lip and something that sounded slightly like an 'r' but everything after that had been cut to silence by the man's aggressive nature.

With two of the letters together in her head Melody stopped and stared at the man for a time. It couldn't be, could it? Melody eyed up the clothes that the man wore. Sure they were nice enough fabric but nothing somebody couldn't splurge for it they really wanted it. Even the sword did not stick out in any particular way or fashion. She brushed the thought from her mind and refocused back at the conflict at hand.

Next thing she knew, Edalene had whipped back at the man with words that fell from her tongue like venom. Needless to say, Melody looked a little more than surprised at the sudden outburst. There was a closeness between the two women that much was for certain. She had no idea though that Edalene was so protective of her. If the situation were a tad different she might have thought that Edalene was looking particularly attractive in the way she defended her. Her gaze was returned as the two women locked eyes for a moment. She was still confused and a little scared but Melody found comfort in her friend's words and the fierceness in her eyes.

But then when Xander turned his attention back towards her that feeling of comfort quickly faded to the man's quick barrage of questions. He wanted a synopsis of her night so far? So be it. "Like I told you I was just here to get a quick drink and I never expected to run into Edalene down here. My father runs a blacksmith shop not to far off and he always talked about his time coming here. So when he closed up for the night I figured why not?" The teacher took a deep breath in and stared the man in the eye as brave as she dared. "Nobody asked me to come here." She tried to put on a facade of determination but just under the table she could still feel her hands trembling slightly at the thought of the man.

The words that poured from Edalene like an overflowing river then confirmed her earlier suspicions. Xander was of noble blood. With the half butchered surname she surmised from earlier she figured that he could be nothing but of Krome blood. A shaking hand rose and rubbed Melody's eyes at the thought of what was happening in front of her. What was Edalene doing with this nobleman? And what kind of information was he going to share with her that caused such distress? The hand that rubbed her eyes reached out to greedily grab at one of Edalene's. "I'm fine..I promise."

She tried to put the same fire in her eyes that Edalene had but they were hardly embers. The trembling in her hand ceased as her fingers crawled their way onto her opposite's. There was calmness in Edalene's presence that made her feel as though the world was alright as long as she was beside her and right now she longed for the woman's touch. She needed it.
[/align]
word count: 787
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Xander shot a glance at Edalene, she was certainly not the usual type to threaten a person. He must have been missing something here, something that made this woman feel a need to protect this Melody as he remembered her being called. She seemed to be strong willed and brave, foolishly so to threaten a man with a sword who would clearly do anything to protect his secrets. It seemed odd for such a woman, a book worm and weak looking thing, to be so brave as to stand up to a man like himself, then again he had not met many strong willed women. Maybe strong willed women were more

He did not know what force and real danger the threat was but he did not dismiss it only decided not to respond instead he only answered her second statement. "I will decide if I tell you, I promised you answers and I will give you answers when I am sure you won't get us all killed." He now focused on the girl as she explained herself. The short tale she spun was credible and he was sure that if he was to smell her he would find the hints of smoke in her hair, although he was aware that was inappropriate and so he did not.

She seemed legitimately afraid, even as she tried to look like she was not. This fear he felt and could feel around her was what convinced him, he was sure that if someone was a spy they would know better than to show emotions such as fear and instead would sound completely resolute. He watched her a few trills longer before tuning back to face the wall so he could see both the women in his peripheral vision. "I believe you, you don't seem like the spying type anyhow." He sat his hands now both on the table as he watched the girls hands together, furthering his belief of some kind of romantic connection between these two. "I am sorry for my actions, I was under the control of my emotions and it was foolish of me. I hope you can forgive me Melody and you too Edalene." He eyed them both curiously and then looked to there hands, his face clearly showing his curiosity about it.

He said nothing and continued ignoring the clearly more than just professional and friendly relationship between the two. "So, as I promised I will provide answers, although be warned it is not something to take on lightly." His face serious now, his normal facade lost to the serious situation in which they now found themselves. "Are you sure you wish to hear?" He leaned forward hos body over the table as he indicated for at least Edalene to come closer, Melody if she too wished to learn his secrets could come close.

"I will not tell all just yet, but I think this should satisfy your want for information. I am a man with large goals and aspirations, somewhat treasonous aspirations." He paused as he looked between the women, he bit his lip for a moment. He was not used to telling people his secrets and even this was not a full reveal but enough to make him feel strange. "Aspirations that would lead to a drastic change in the workings of my Duchy, changes that are far beyond anything seen in the history of Rynmere. I wish to see something never attempted before be accomplished first try and it is something I have been planning my whole life, something that would change the status quo, shake up the world we live in now." He smiled nervously. "I will say one last thing it is the central part of my campaign, freedom." That word encompassed nearly his whole ideology for an Independent Krome.

He wished for a place ruled by a council where the people have equal say to the nobles and poor have the power to influence changes like the rich. A place free of the rule of tyrannical foreign kings and where valuable money and resources is wasted on people who are not the ones that worked for it. He saw a place free of slavery and designed for the people and lands of Krome to prosper and grow.

"Now you know you risk your own lives, maybe you could cut some kind of deal with the King for your life if you decided to betray my faith in you to keep this secret. I trust you with information that would do more than shame me, it would result in my death." He looked around him to make sure no one appeared to be listening. In fact he found that they were quite a ways from the nearest person. None of them seemed to be listening and in fact the sound of the drunkards and clinking of glasses was probably enough to stop his voice being legible over where the others sat. He faced them now, he had basically bared his soul before them and it was up to them if they would make him regret this decision, he had not revealed what exactly he planned but he had revealed enough to warrant his execution he was sure.
word count: 886
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”