City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Knowledge Per Race & City (WIP)

Hey all - my bad entirely, that I let this slip through my fingers. But, bringing this back up and am going to get it finished. Could everyone just cast an eye over and make any changes / post them here?

I'm thinking especially things like Ithecal etc. But with the amount of time that I've left this fester - I figure it would be good if everyone could look in. Thank you.
word count: 72
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Whisper
Profession: Storyteller
Renown: 394
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

I have updated Eídisi, am happy with Ellune and have made suggestions for Humans.

Additionally, Pegasus and I have spoken about what to do for races from one city who start in a different one, and we both like the suggestion that, for those PCs, they may start with a seventh Knowledge for "Location: City" (so they have two Cities, one historical and one starter).

Grand :)
word count: 67
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Added in Lotharro.
word count: 3
Current Status:
Whisper
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Took a stab at Mortalborn and Mixed-Race options too. Only two left to go, though many cities still to add!

One possible issue that players might have, there is a chance that people may "lose out" on extra knowledge if they pick a race endemic to a certain city (e.g. Eidisi in Viden have "Immortal: Yvithia" repeated etc.) Are we all okay with turning round to said players and saying "tough"? I think trying to go through the effort of saying "oh, well, pick another knowledge" could wind us up with more work and... well it would just be a ballache! Maybe when we share this publicly we have a disclaimer!

I would say the same applies to PCs who were historically from one city but start in a different city - they get a single knowledge for one of the cities but can pick one city for the expanded knowledge?

...did that make sense?
word count: 156
Anomaly
Prophet of Old
Profession: Developer
Renown: -1
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

I've often thought about starting knowledges and whether they should be complementary to the starting packages...

Once this is finalized, how about including to the base starting package that new PCs are able to pick 2-3 extra knowledges from the starting list, so the other knowledges can be reserved for skills and background-related things so that people don't fall behind on their skill progressions and feel forced to push out memory threads for basic knowledges they SHOULD have?
word count: 82
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

you know, Anoms, you've just given me an idea. Would it be easier to have something like:

On creation you have 6 knowledge which are non-skill knowledge. They must include Race: Your Race. Choose the other 5 from the following list:

Races: | Cities:| Race: Tradition & Custom| City: Specific Stuff:| Immortals | Miscellaneous
List|List | List etc.

And players pick six from there, which must fit in with their history? Rather than enforcing stuff or saying that all people from X know Y etc.

Is that just a whole lot easier? Would appreciate the viewpoint of a CS checker here.
word count: 100
Current Status:
Whisper
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

I would say that's easier. Much easier. However I would bump that from 6 to 8... or even 10. In the grand scheme of things, having these basic knowledges is not an advantage, so the more, the merrier in my eyes.

I would still say us having a list of things we think might be appropriate for people to pick from (or at least get inspiration from) is good.

I'm down with this, Peg.
word count: 76
Anomaly
Prophet of Old
Profession: Developer
Renown: -1
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

I'm unsure about including a MUST clause, due to circumstances of half-breeds and the like who may just not be personally aware of the specifics of what they are (Mortal Born, for example, who aren't yet aware of their heritage).

I'm also wary of including any MUST clause in general. I was more of the mind of giving players additional knowledges, added to the pool they already have, which they MAY, if they want, select from the list of Starting Knowledges per race or city, but it's optional and highly case-by-case depending on the character (and if they don't want to use them for picking from that list, then they don't need to use them, meaning they don't get those extra knowledges at all). I don't think it should be mandatory, but optional, and serves as a helpful resource for starting characters and new players who might not be as familiar to the game or what they want to play. I don't think limiting the player's options and freedom of choice for the starting knowledges by giving them a premade pool to pick from rather than the freedom of making them up on their own if they already have a concept in mind, is a good idea. These knowledges aren't skill knowledges, so making them optional wouldn't really disturb any balance anywhere in the game.

Besides, when it comes to background knowledges, the ones that aren't picked up by the player in their starting pool are also supposed to be awarded by the mods who review their CS as extra knowledge awards as a means of rewarding thorough and well-crafted backstories, which further reinforces the player freedom to select knowledges based on whichever build, profession or flavour they had in mind for starting out in the game.

In short: I don't feel comfortable making the list mandatory and making significant changes to how players may use their starting knowledges for a newly created character, but am more inclined towards giving players the option to select an additional number of entirely optional knowledges from the list we're making, based on race and city, in ADDITION to their regular number of knowledges that they get from their starting package (and what they are then rewarded from their CS Approval).
word count: 396
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Oh, sorry, Noms, my bad. The only one that was a "must" for me was the Race: Their Race. The rest, totally options, yep, I'm with that.
word count: 28
Current Status:
Bumblebee
Prophet of Old
Race: Human
Profession: Desnind Mod
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Staff

I also am not in favor of musts, nor that they must be tied to the city they're starting in or the race they are in particular. Yes, having some like Race: Naerikk already without it being used as your CS reward would have been nice, but non-skills don't aid in their capabilities, but it might flesh out their history more. I know with Navyri, she's traveled quite a lot with Biqaj, her father was one, and if she was a new pc, I would like things about Biqaj traditions, despite being born in Augiery, or starting in Etzos. Maybe some like Location: Desnind (she has this from a memory I've written, but you get the idea). Also, lets not forget some things like flora and fauna. These aren't necessarily used towards a skill knowledge count, but I think pcs like researchers or those with familiars, or simple nature enthusiasts might recognize what some plants or animals are that they grew up with.

In conclusion:
No 'musts' or race/location restrictions but suggestions. I like the list we have.
I'm in favor of increasing the number.
word count: 193
Work Hard. Stay Bumble.
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City Archives”