• Solo • On How to Treat a Cold

Job Thread

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Navik
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Doctor
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

On How to Treat a Cold

29th Trial of Cylus, 717
► Show Spoiler
Navik adjusted the lamp filled with blue, glowing eggs, placing it near the bed of the pouting child. He would be in a very great mood, as his last dream had been, for once, pleasant and nice, allowing him to have a wonderful night of sleep. However, once he had presented himself in the Olọravu Slosneppe, he had been assigned to Mi'tril, a boy who had been accommodated a few Trials ago, and still hadn't gotten any better. The coughing and sneezing had developed into pain, headaches and shivers. And now, Navik had to take care of him, hopefully asking for help along the way, because he was sure he had no idea how to treat it by himself.

"It hurts!" Mi'tril cried again, and Navik had to take a deep breath to keep himself from lashing out at the boy. He is sick, he is in pain, he is just a boy. If he kept telling himself that, maybe he could control himself.

"I know, Mi'tril." Navik tried, sitting on the boy's bed and placing a hand on his head. He frowned. The fever was high and his forehead was wet with sweat. "We are trying to..."

"It hurts!" he cried once more, slapping the hand away.

"I know that!" Navik screamed back, standing up, face twisting into a scowl and wings stretching behind him. The fright in the boy's eyes, however, made his anger vanish immediately, and he took a deep breath, closing his eyes. He needed to calm down. He couldn't lash out at a patient, specially a kid. "I'm sorry." he whispered, opening his eyes. The boy had another coughing fit.

"I'm dying?" he asked, his voice so small it broke Navik's heart and made his guilt even sharper. He should've known the boy was just scared. It wasn't that serious, at least he hoped it weren't, but there was no way Mi'tril could know that.

"You're not. I promise." it was the first time he had to deal with a sick kid, and he had no idea what to say or do. "I'm going to leave the room, alright? And I'll come back soon with something that'll make the pain go away."

"I don't want to be alone."

"You're not." Navik sat back on the bed, folding his wings carefully behind him. He reached for the lamp and softly placed it on the boy's chest. "Look." he pointed at the eight small eggs, trying to smile. "Watch over the Iyọ while I'm gone?"

For a moment, the boy simply looked at the lamp. But then, he finally nodded.

"The Iyọ in my house are green." Mit'ril whispered. Navik didn't answer, although it seemed that the boy was talking more to himself than to him, so he got up. It was time to find someone who could help him.

word count: 524
Navik
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

On How to Treat a Cold

It didn't took long to find Mish'oa, mixing some herbs inside a room, murmuring something. Navik had learned not to interrupt her while she worked, and so he waited, leaning against a door and trying to listen to the murmured song. The lyrics were inaudible to his ears, almost as if Mish'oa didn't want him to hear them, but he could make out the melody. It was soothing, and once more Navik wondered if the songs really helped the patients to heal.

"What do you want?" Mish'oa asked, without looking at him. Navik straightened himself.

"Mi'tril. The boy with the cold?" after he received no answer, Navik sighed and continued. "What do I give him? For his treatment."

"What do you want to give him?"

"What do you mean?" he frowned. He had just told her.

"I'm not here to do your job, boy." the woman finally turned, shoving a finger in his face. Navik just looked at it, frowning, not sure how to respond to that. "I can help you get what you need - but you have to tell me what it is." with that, Mish'oa turned back again to her own work. Navik looked at her for a while, before cleaning his throat.

"I need something to help with the cough." he began, slowly. When Mish'oa nodded, he continued. "Also with his pain. Headache. And..."

"Is the cough dry? Or is there mucus?"

"Mucus..."

"Thyme tea compress compress over the lungs for the coughing. Hot. Moukou beans for the pain. Give him a cup, only. It'll help him sleep as well as relieve the pain. But only one cup. Make him breath some steam with black pepper oil, three drops, only 1 bit. Let's see if it helps. The ingredients are on the shelves. The tools are in the cabinet in the corner" she finished, pointing over her shoulder.

Navik stared at Mish'oa's back.

"Do you know how to make tea?" she asked, still not looking at him.

"Yes."

"Then why aren't you moving?"

The only answer he could give was to sigh, and then he finally moved, going to the cabinet and taking a cup and two folded towels. He moved towards the shelves, then, looking at the carefully labeled vials. It took him some time before he found the oil, the dried thyme and the bean extract, but they were easy enough to identify. He poured the extract on the cup, and took both the thyme and the oil vial, before finally turning back to Mish'oa.

"I'll return this shortly."

"Try not to burn the poor kid."

His wings trembled slightly, but he didn't bother to answer as he got out of the room and made his way back to the boy's bedroom. He was still sitting, looking straight at the lamp, as if the eggs would disappear if he looked away. Navik had to resist the urge to chuckle.

"I just need to fetch a few more things, alright?" the kid nodded, still focused. Navik shrugged, before placing what he was carrying in a table on the corner. There was a bowl and a metal jar, filled with water. It would serve, he only needed to heat the water now. With another sight, he took the jar and left the room once more.

At least the Fire Pit was close enough.

word count: 574
Navik
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

On How to Treat a Cold

The water was hot enough when he returned to Mi'tril's room. Not overly hot, since the cold of the outside had done a great job at cooling it down, but it was what Navik could get on the conditions, and it would have to be enough. This time, the boy looked up, his small face pained.

"It still hurts. And I'm bored."

"I know." the boy huffed at him, causing another coughing fit, but Navik ignored it. He focused on pouring part of the water on the bowl and adding the dried thyme to the rest of the liquid in the jar. He had never been good with keeping time in his head, but he supposed he just shouldn't let the leaves there for too long. To the bowl, he added three drops of the oil, trying to remember the exact instructions Mish'oa had given him.

"What's this for?"

"To help you breath." Navik took the bowl and a towel as careful as he could. The water wasn't hot enough to do any real damage anymore, but it still could burn the kid. "I need you to sit straight now, and try not to move." when Mi'tril did as he was told, he placed the bowl over the boy's leg, keeping it still with one hand as he unfolded the towel and placed it over the other's head. "Lean down a little, so you can breath the steam."

"Why?"

"It'll help you breath." Navik repeated. "It'll clear your nose and help with your coughing as well." well, at least that was what he thought. Mish'oa hadn't been very specific about that. "Be careful, though. If it gets too hot, it can burn you."

Mi'tril looked at him with a frightened expression, but leaned down after a moment. Navik adjusted the towel around his head, to keep the steam in, and began counting in his head, the best he could. It had passed perhaps a little more than half the time, though, when the boy moaned.

"I can't breath..."

Navik took off the towel, put the bowl on the floor, and placed both hands on the small face, making the other look at him.

"Calm down, it's alright. Breath through your mouth now, alright? It'll get better real soon." Mi'tril nodded, and Navik waited as he breathed in and out, over and over again, before finally shaking his hands off his face again.

"I don't want to do this anymore." he pouted.

"Well, you'll have to, if you want to get better. But not today, will that be alright?" although the pout never went away, the boy nodded, and Navik actually chuckled a bit, amused. "You'll just drink some tea and then the pain will go away and you will sleep." at that, his eyes brightened, and Navik's smile softened, as he ran his fingers through the boy's hair. Amazingly, he allowed him to do so.

After a while, with the boy strangely calm, Navik sighed and fetched the cup of Moukou extract, giving it to Mi'tril.

"It's sweet." the kid licked his lips after tasting it, and gulped down the rest. "I want more."

"Tomorrow. And no pouting." at that, the third pout of the day turned into a smile, and Navik smiled back, feeling like he had accomplished something more than simply try to give the boy some treatment. He decided not to dwell to much on this thought, as it would lead him nowhere right then, and went back to the table for the third and final part. Wetting the second towel on the liquid inside the jar, which had cooled enough not to bother him anymore, he raised the boy's blanket and shirt for a moment, placing it over his lungs, before putting everything back in place.

"I don't want to be alone." Mi'tril whispered.

Navik sighed, sitting down in the floor, back resting against the bed. There was only silence for a moment, before he felt something rest on the feathers of his wings. He fought the urge to move away, to slap the hand away, much like the other had done earlier.

"They are the same colour as the eggs." Mi'tril whispered. Navik didn't answer. "I like them. They're soft."

His eyes closed, a mixture of feelings he couldn't quite describe inside him. Navik remained still, waiting, until the other's breath finally levelled as he fell asleep. Even then, though, he was sure he could feel the heat of a tiny hand against his wings.

He could stay for a little longer.

word count: 791
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

On How to Treat a Cold

Navik

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: NA (solo thread)
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

Caregiving: Bedside manner is important
Caregiving: Distract frightened children
Detection: Determining symptoms of fever.
Medicine: Signs and symptoms of fever
Medicine: Thyme tea compress over lungs to treat a mucus cough
Medicine: Moukou bean for pain
Medicine: Steam with black pepper oil to aid breathing
Mish'oa: Medical Professional in Desnind
Mish'oa: Not prepared to do your job for you
Mi'tril: Your patient
Mi'tril: Young boy
Psychology: Fear can show as anger

Loot:
NA
Fame:
+2 (good deeds!)
Magic:
These points may NOT be used for arcana

Overview:

General comments.
Story Well, since that was your first thread, I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to reviewing more! This was a sweet story and you portrayed the frightened child well. I loved that you got in there at the end how, in a way, Navik and Mi'tril helped each out! Lovely story, really enjoyed it!
Structure No worries. You have an easy to read writing style. All good here!

Please do PM me if you've got any questions
word count: 196
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”