[Approved by Rumour] Cassian Gawyne

This is where CSes are moved to when they are marked as "Approved". If this accidentally locks your CS, don't worry, just PM a prophet and we'll unlock it straight away!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Cassian Gawyne
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Bastard
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Cassian Gawyne

Full Name: Cassian Gawyne
Race: Mixed Race (¼ Mortalborn, ¼ Aukari, ½ Human)
Sex: Male
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175 lbs
Birthdate: 112th Day of Vhalar, 695
Birthplace: Augiery

Profession: Student
Housing: Viden, the Carnelian Prism
Partners: -

Marks: -
Factions Joined: -

Languages
Fluent: Common
Broken: Ancient Language, Cursive*, Grovokian*

*Novice Linguistics
Cassian Gawyne has mastered the art of projecting who and what he is. Standing straight and tall, his gestures measured and his jaw tilted just a little bit up while his head is cocked just a little to the side. It both enables him to look down on someone his own height or even taller and to stand apart from familiar scenes and regard them as something utterly alien. In that way he has the bearing common folk would expect of a noble, albeit somewhat lacking the veneer of humility often shown by his kinsmen in House Gawyne.

His build is asketic with finely chorded muscle coiling around long bones and alabaster skin stretches and strains around their shapes; a body not shaped by excesses except those of discipline and denial. Cassian's light skin is without blemish, not even the palms of the long-fingered hands displaying any sign of strain. No callous points at even the holding of a quill, much less a sword or cruder implements. Other than a vein standing out against the alabaster, purple on white, his outer shell is flawless, light hair and lighter skin.

The young man's face seems composed of straight lines for the most part. The jaw is angular, almost kite-shaped, nose and eyebrows straight -- even his eyes often appear like triangular slits as he concentrates on something or other. But, as if to spite that image, his lips swing in a wide curve and his chin dimples at the tip. Whether nature is forcibly softening his appearance to tell Cassian not to take himself too seriously or to make him appear less off-putting to his contemporaries could be a matter of debate.

Cassian prefers to dress in black or white (rarely grey) with a solid highlight colour or two. The idea of 'properly' coordinating the colours of his wardrobe drives him almost as mad as the idea that other people -usually women- care. Much like his social navigation, his solution is practical and effective. His primary item of clothing in this is usually a cassock in any weather, with many layers above and below in the cold seasons and far less of these when the weather gets hot. Social events might prescribe a different kind of wardrobe but for everyday wear this garment is, again, practical and effective -- and sufficiently elegant in Cassian's eyes.
Last edited by Cassian Gawyne on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 16 times in total. word count: 516
Cassian Gawyne
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Cassian Gawyne -- The Nature of the Beast

"
What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses. The lesson here is simple: You have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the impression and you shall become master of the expression.
[anchor=Nature]
The Nature of the Beast
[/anchor]
Personality
At first glance, Cassian strikes most people as an introvert at best, a shut-in at worst. The young man goes about his business to the occlusion of everything else when seeing to his studies and duties. He can however be disarmingly polite and even charming when he applies himself. Then again, applying himself would first require a stroke of fancy or him seeing something of value in the other person. On a good day this might be the promise of an intellectual challenge; if not a kindred mind then at least a worthy opponent, no matter how disappointing either will undoubtedly turn out in the end. On a bad day this might be a body part.

The young man's main drive in life is merely understanding. Of everything and everyone. To everything there is a reason and a rhyme. To everything there is an underlying mechanic waiting to be uncovered. He dislikes simply accepting things as common knowledge or simple wisdom without a further explanation as to why and how, and how this was discovered and the metrics used. Cassian is meticulous to a fault, and he expects no less of his peers or those who would be his betters. And he expects no less of any facet of his own being, including his body. While not given to physical labour, he will not habitually poison his body with alcohol, sugar or fat, nor will he tolerate rust on his joints. Taking care of his body is, however, not a labour of love, it is the maintenance of a machine that is expected to function.

He values intelligence, curiosity and knowledge. Probably in that order. An uneducated person looking to better themselves would seem more worthy to him than a learned person who has decided they know enough. Cassian finds no merit in the written and unwritten laws and mores of men, his social contracts and compacts. He tries to follow the letter of these rules but has never felt their validity deep down in his marrow. Nor any actual regard for his fellow man and most of the things they have created. It is as if Cassian exists to prove wrong those who hold certain abstract ideas as sacred, universal or natural. Which would make him sacrilegious, singular and unnatural. A description he might not even mind.

The Truth
► Show Spoiler
[/spoil]
"
I have not been afraid of anything for a long time. Today, however, I found myself touched by fear. I am not certain what I was afraid of, or for how long. It was a deep-seated, lingering fear I could not place. I found the Thread during a routine examination.

I cut it out.

Now I am left with a question I cannot answer, a doubt I cannot prune: Was this an act of self-improvement?

Or one of self-mutilation?
History

Early Childhood
► Show Spoiler

Later Childhood
► Show Spoiler

Adolescence
► Show Spoiler

Young Adulthood
► Show Spoiler

Present

Cassian has freshly arrived in Viden on the wings of the Universities' student exchange program. Far, far away from anyone who might know him for better or worse, he is met with both the footfalls and freedoms of essentially beginning his life anew. The young man is however unlikely to change his stripes, so it remains to be seen whether the new environment will be more easily endeared to his qualities or be repulsed as the worthies of Andaris were. Being a noble scion of Rynmere, if neither born nor bred properly, gets him an inroad but will only take him so far.

The rest is up to him.

Starter Quest
► Show Spoiler

Dear Cassian,

Some arcs ago, I gave you a gift. I now ask for a gift in return. Use what I taught you to seek knowledge that is not easily found and return home with something that may help further our position in Rynmere.

Knowledge, after all, is power.

Enjoy your studies, dear child, but never forget you are a Gawyne above all else.

-Lady Sonnet[/spoil]
Last edited by Cassian Gawyne on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 19 times in total. word count: 3265
Cassian Gawyne
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Cassian Gawyne -- The Numbers of the Beast

[anchor=Numbers]
The Numbers of the Beast
[/anchor]

Skills

Skill Name
Competence
Value
Tally
Notes
Discipline Novice 11 011/251
► Show Spoiler
Intimidation Novice 04 004/251
► Show Spoiler
Leadership [RB] Novice 25 025/251
► Show Spoiler
Linguistics Novice 10 010/251
► Show Spoiler
Meditation Novice 05 005/251
► Show Spoiler
Politics Novice 05 005/251
► Show Spoiler
Research [FT] Novice 17 017/100
► Show Spoiler
Surgery Novice 25 025/251
► Show Spoiler
Arcana: Empathy Novice 18 018/251
► Show Spoiler
Knowledges: Idalos

General

• Geography: The Lay of the World

Rynmere

Viden

Knowledges: Skills

Linguistics

• Covel Dosce! - Proverbs of the Ancients
  • Language: Cursive [RM]
  • Language: Grovokian [RM]

Skill

Misc

• Discipline: How to deny immediate pleasure for future rewards [RM]
  • Discipline: Drowning Out Surrounding Distractions Through Focus
  • Endurance: Pain is temporary [RM]
  • Research: How to take detailed notes [RM]
  • Politics: The importance of knowing the key players [RM]
  • Meditation: How to take a deep breath [RM]
  • Intimidation: How to silence someone with a look [RM]
Knowledges: Arcana

Empathy

• Welcome to the Tangle - Form and Function
  • A Rainbow of Emotions - Definition of Colors
Skill Ledger
► Show Spoiler
[/color]
Last edited by Cassian Gawyne on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 18 times in total. word count: 723
Cassian Gawyne
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Cassian Gawyne -- The Lair of the Beast

Housing

400 square foot room at the Carnelian Prism containing:
  • One bed with a hard matress [SP]
  • One High-Backed Chair [SP]
  • One Stool [SP]
  • Small Table [SP]
  • Secretary Desk
  • Flat-topped Chest [SP]
  • Fireplace [SP]
  • 6 Plates (Assorted) [SP]

Prized Possession

Lancet is a long, slender Embersteel dagger, almost a stiletto with a triangular profile that allows for a finely honed edge without losing the stability needed for efficient stabbing. The artistry of the work is such that it functions both as a tool (though not suitable for triage) as well as a wickedly efficient weapon.
[anchor=Lair]
The Lair of the Beast
[/anchor]

Funds

330 GN 4 SN

Worldly Possessions

Worn or Carried

• White Fur Coat [SP]
  • White Cotton Shirt [SP]
  • Black Brocade Cassock
  • White Wool Cassock
  • Black Leather Pants, Laced [SP]
  • Black Brocade Pants
  • Black Leather Boots [SP]
  • Black Leather Gloves
  • Buckled Leather Belt
  • Stark Blue Silk Scarf

Office

• Scribe's Kit:
    • Vial of Ink (Black)
    • Vials of Ink (Red, Blue, Yellow)
    • Vial of Ink Thinner
    • Mixing Palette
    • Drying Powder with Sachet
    • Vellum (10 sheets)
    • Crude Paper
    • Fine Paper
    • Extra Nibs (5)
    • Reservoir Pen
  • Quill
  • Blank Journal (2)
  • A simple lantern used to illuminate your work when your studies go into the long hours of the night. [RM]

Miscellany

• Set of Toiletries:
    • Bar of Vetiver Soap [SP]
    • Horn Comb [SP]
    • Razor [SP]
    • Toothbrush [SP]
    • Toothpaste [SP]
  • Waterskin [SP]
  • Eating Utensils (2 sets) [SP]
  • Tinderbox [SP]
  • A letter addressed to you and sealed with the Gawyne family seal. It was given to you by Lady Sonnet Gawyne before you left for Viden with a request not to open it until you arrived at your new university. [RM]

Ledger
► Show Spoiler
Fame Ledger
► Show Spoiler
[/color]
Last edited by Cassian Gawyne on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total. word count: 469
Cassian Gawyne
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Cassian Gawyne

[anchor=Wake]
The Wake of the Beast
[/anchor]

Relationships

Starter Quest

Before you left for Viden, Lady Sonnet Gawyne approached you privately and gave you a letter sealed with the Gawyne family seal. She requested that you not open it until you had arrived at your new university.

The letter slips your mind until you rummage through your possessions one evening in Viden and find it lying among your things. If you choose to open it, you’ll find that it is short and to the point:

Dear Cassian,

Some arcs ago, I gave you a gift. I now ask for a gift in return. Use what I taught you to seek knowledge that is not easily found and return home with something that may help further our position in Rynmere.

Knowledge, after all, is power.

Enjoy your studies, dear child, but never forget you are a Gawyne above all else.

-Lady Sonnet
Family

Ryan Gawyne -- Father
► Show Spoiler

? -- Mother
► Show Spoiler

Sonnet Gawyne -- Stepmother
► Show Spoiler

Ivy Gawyne -- Cousin
► Show Spoiler

Thread List

• Zi'da