• Graded • [Starter Quest] Discretion is the better thing of something

Where Genuvah has a run-in with the past.

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Genuvah
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 50
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Starter Quest] Discretion is the better thing of something

Starter Quest Intro
Scalvoris is a strange place for stranger folk, and you find you fit in comfortably enough. Your kind of breed, an illusion as it may be, isn't seen around the island often, but the natives disregard you with little concern. The acceptance of the natives to odd people taking up residence within Scalvoris has allowed you to settle into your life, even shop without being bothered, and live as close to a normal life. However, normalacy doesn't last forever, and you are approached by a member of the enclave- someone you've known since you were little. Reamis, an Yludih who has taken shape as a Biqaj, whispers to you of an old woman just arrived off a boat from the west. As you sit within the tavern, drinking and eating, his voice grows lower, pulling your attention. He tells of the woman and her endless muttering, "Genuvah... Genuvah..." When approached and asked why she was uttering such a name, she offered only one explanation...

"I must find Martha's boy..."

Reamis urges you to pursue the woman.
Date: 20th of Cylus

It'd been a dozen days or so since Genuvah had the run-in with his childhood companion, Reamis, who told him about the strange old woman talking about "Martha's" boy, and uttering his true name for all to hear. Although things were relatively ironed out with respect to his position on the island, he didn't want to deal with the fallout of having his identity shared with everyone in earshot. He was specifically vexed that Reamis now knew his true name, and had that to hold over him. He trusted his old friend as much as he trusted anyone, which wasn't too much, but not enough to think that the other young Yludih wouldn't share the information if it meant a huge payoff. Not that Genuvah had a bounty on his head or anything that he knew of. It was just a concern about keeping up appearances here. He was known as a mixed human/aukari, and he couldn't have some mysterious old woman going about and muttering his true name, then associating it with a woman named Martha, which was his mother.

Like mentioned, loose ends needed to be cut. He didn't actually think the Lightning Knights would seek out a remnant of the enclave that was no longer their problem, but one could never be sure. Perhaps they thought he was carrying some terribly vital intelligence regarding their operations.

So he found his way to the tavern mentioned, which was located squarely in the center of Almund. A ratty and disreputable town if he ever saw one, but Genuvah had to make do with the hand dealt to him.

He took a seat by the fire, and ordered a glass of ale, waiting for this woman to come in with her mutterings. And then? He wasn't quite sure. Hadn't thought that far ahead.
word count: 507
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

20th Cylus, 717
It's hard to plan the complete unknown, or to plan for it so Genuvah found himself sitting in O'Rourke's and waiting. There was something about him that meant he wasn't disturbed, although the cat seemed to really like him and was winding her way in and out of his legs before jumping up to sit next to him and purring. Staring at him with her strangely mis-matched eyes, the cat seemed quite content, today, to be his friend.

Tomorrow? Who knew.

He must have been starting to think that perhaps this trial she wasn't going to arrive. But after a full break of sitting with a purring cat staring at him (did it blink? Hard to tell) an elderly woman made her way in and took a seat. Now, it was important to note that she looked around, but straight past him. Like she didn't recognise him.

Or, of course, she was an excellent actress.

Still, she sat at a table in the middle of the room, right slap bang in the middle of the room in fact. There were booth-like areas where people could sit in much closer to privacy than where she chose. She appeared to be an elderly human woman with a shock of white hair and strangely mis-matched clothing. Her eyes were a bright green and she looked around with interest, muttering all the while. The server, who had introduced herself to him as Ripi when she brought him his ale, moved over and put down a flagon of the local ale, "Mad Cat" and a meat pie meal. She didn't even ask, just did it.

And the old woman sat, started eating the pie and drinking from the flagon. Between each mouthful, the mutterings were the same.

"Genuvah.... Genuvah..... Genuvah"

Now, it seemed, he was in the situation of having to decide what he was going to do when faced with the woman in question. If anything.
word count: 349
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Genuvah
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Yludih noticed the woman immediately on her entrance to the common room. She had the look of one possibly deranged by age, or somebody that put on the air so people would leave her alone. Genuvah wasn't one to be deterred by apparent madness, however he knew from his old mentor, the Lightning Knight Cormier that one couldn't advance on a stationary or retreating opponent without inviting a counterstrike. He felt the same applied to non-combative situations. So he left her alone for the moment, content to let her mutter his true name between bites of meat pie.

Genuvah tolerated the cat, and it's curiously mismatched eyes. He even found it in him to like the critter, deciding to throw the little bundle of fur a meal. He put down four golden nels at the table, and said to Ripi, "Would you also grab some milk and diced liver for my friend here?" He tilted his head toward the cat. "I also want this to go toward a couple flagons of ale for that lady over there." He gestured briefly toward the woman muttering his name. "You can keep the change, if there is any?" If it wasn't enough, he'd pay what was necessary, as well as pitching in a couple silvers for the serving-girl, Ripi.

The food for the cat would likely keep it occupied at least, and keep him from getting distracted, even if it served little other purpose. As for the flagons of ale for the woman, he wanted to see how she handled her brew. For his own part, he poured ale from the flagon into a mug that was at his table, and began drinking. The sweet brew fed his asterism well, and so he took another. Yludih were good at holding their drink, so after the second mug, he didn't pause to pour another.

Genuvah decided sending a volley of goodwill to the woman in question would be sufficient to get her attention, and see if she'd make an advance toward him. If not, he'd have to wait for her to make her next move, even if it was to leave out into the street. Then and only then would he give pursuit.
Expenditures
-4 gn for the food and drink for Genuvah, the cat, server's tip, and the old lady. Also, he's staying at the Sapphire inn while in Almund, so he paid 2 nights in advance, which is -3 gn.
word count: 428
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

20th Cylus, 717
Ripi gave him a smile and nodded. "She's been coming in regular. Poor ole thing. She seems nice enough, but she just keeps repeating that words over and over again." Still, Ripi took his money and did as he'd asked her. It meant that the Cat was happy ~ always a good thing in O'Rourke's.

When the flagons came over to the old woman, Ripi pointed over to the nice young man who'd bought them for her and the woman lifted her head and looked at him. She raised her tankard in the age old gesture and she narrowed her eyes at him. Looking at him more closely, she seemed to examine him for a few moments, then she went back to her drink.

But every now and then, she looked back up.

Eventually, after a few mouthfuls, she picked up her tankard and she made her way over to him. Her walk was that of an old woman, but her eyes were bright and held no signs of being confused. She looked, in fact, to be in full receipt of all her faculties. She put down her tankard, then tottered back on aged legs to get the flagon, which she brought back. Then, and
only then, did she sit down.

Close up, he could see that her white hair was well cared for. Her skin was wrinkled but once, once upon a time, she had been beautiful. Now, though, she had that strange look to her of thin skin and age spots. She still had, though, all her teeth. They were in good shape, too, which was perhaps surprising. She'd drunk a fair amount, it must be said, but she didn't seem at all influenced by the alcohol she'd drunk. Her eyes, whilst they were old, were aware and lucid.

Looking at him, the old woman pointed to the drink. "Why'd you buy me that, boy?" Her mumbling had ceased and she spoke clearly although quietly in a broad, Rharnian, accent.
Off Topic
Hiya! Tiny thing, but it would be really helpful if you could link your Character Sheet in your profile so it appears under your avatar there on the right? That would help in terms of looking stuff up whilst modding you - and also for our peer reviewers too. It's not a mandatory thing or anything, but it would be helpful!

~Peg.
word count: 420
Current Status:
Genuvah
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Genuvah looked at the cat after Ripi departed, and reached a hand out to let her sniff it. He didn't know if the Yludih illusion extended to olfactory sensations, but was willing to take a chance that the cat would still be pleased with this gesture.

He noted the change, or rather lack of change in the old woman's eyes after having downed an entire tankard. His suspicions about her weren't yet confirmed, but now he had mounting evidence that this woman might indeed be an Yludih, given the way she handles her drink.

When she took her drink, and began walking over, he nodded to her as she took to the side of his table. Then she asked why he had bought the drink for her. He shrugged, "I wanted to see how well a healthy woman like yourself could handle their drink. And those words you mentioned, Genuvah, I've heard them before. I was wondering why you keep repeating it."

Here, he wasn't quite mantling his true identity. To this woman, he might be a contact with the Cheshire, looking to close up loose ends and find his mother's son. She might be, as well. Her being Yludih, if indeed she turned out to be, didn't make her a non-threat. Genuvah was the first to admit that his people weren't the most upright or straightforward, although he himself tried to buck those conventions.

"And you looked thirsty, if you don't mind my saying."

OOC: Thanks so much for the welcome and taking up this thread again. I'll try not to burn out again.
word count: 283
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The woman looked at him and she smiled a slight smile. "Did you now, boy? Well, thank you for the drink. It's always welcome." Her accent was definitely of Rharne, her eyes were on him and she looked at him with apparent disinterest ~ except in her eyes. Her eyes were sharp and clear and were watching him. She was concerned with what he said and how he reacted to her, it was obvious. Yet, she just smiled at him vaguely.

Then, though, he asked about the word she kept repeating and the woman sighed, ever so slightly. "Oh, it's just the rambling of an old lady, boy." Her face seemed rather sad as she spoke. "It's just one word. Genuvah. It's a beautiful word, isn't it? Try it." She looked down at the drink and she sighed, then shook her head, slightly.

It was worth noticing that all semblance of "crazed old lady" was gone, but she was more than a little wary, equally. She glanced at him and motioned to him. "You got family? It's important, family. You'll go to no end of bother for them. Seek them out if they're lost." She shrugged slightly, "That's what I think, anyhow. Nothing you shouldn't do for family."

Looking at him, the woman seemed to ask more urgently, like she was concerned or maybe excited. Certainly, high emotion of some kind. "What about you, boy? You got family?" She repeated the question, like it was important to her and she looked at him with an expression that told him that it was. Very important. She watched him, hope shining in her eyes.

OOC: Totally my pleasure! Really good to see you back!
word count: 298
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Sorry to see you haven't posted....

Hi Hi!

Since this thread hasn't been posted to in a while, I'm unsubscribing from it. If you return, however, and want to pick it back up just drop me a pm. I'll be more than happy to either pick it up straight away, put it in my waiting list if I'm at capacity, or ask another mod. Either way, it'll be no problem but I might not notice if you just reply.

Thanks! Hope to see you posting here again!

All the best,

Peg

word count: 105
Current Status:
Genuvah
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"Even a beggar has family, even if they've either passed on or left him in the gutter." His mouth twisted at the sour thought. "Family is important if they're nearby."

Genuvah was a bit torn over this situation, this convesation. He wanted to believe that this person might have information pertaining to his family in Rharne, perhaps of his mother who may still live. However, if she did live, and was taken captive it was possible that whoever was holding her had tortured his true name out of her, in hopes of luring him into a trap, such as this conversation might be.

So he took a different approach here. Instead of assuming the perspective of a wayward boy looking for family, his mother, or somebody related to them, he could take a different tact. It might prove perilous, depending on what this individual was capable of. If they were on his side, he'd have to be prepared for them to react in fight or flight. Nevertheless, it was worth a shot if it meant preserving his own life.

"Genuvah is a word? What language might it be? And does it have a specific meaning?" Genuvah leaned against the table. " I've been everywhere between Rharne and here, and have never heard a word in a language that sounds like that. Apologies if I presumed wrong about it being a name." Now he was the Cheshire's catspaw, and this little old lady had walked into his trap. Or perhaps an old contact of Martha. Who knew?

"Do you know an Aukari by the name of Martha, by any chance? I was expecting her arrival with a passenger frigate some time ago, but she never arrived." He looked down at the surface of the table, but his periphery vision was searching for any change in her posture or facial expressions. "I suppose she got lost in a sea storm or caught on a reef. These things happen."

That said, he slumped backward in his chair. "Anyway, sorry if I'm asking too many questions here. I'm just curious what your story is old woman? Are you from the Stormlands? I come from that area myself."
word count: 376
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

She breathed in and almost sagged with the out breath as he asked her about the word. The name. "Genuvah? It means Loyal Lightning in the language of my people, boy." She seemed old, tired, and more of both suddenly. Like it was all just too much for her, too much indeed. She looked at Genuvah and didn't say any more for a while, a good few moments as she looked at the table as though she couldn't see it.

But when he asked about Martha, the older woman looked at him and her eyes regarded him. There were questions in her gaze, concern and frustration and she drained her drink in one. "Martha was my daughter's name," she said. "I moved to Rharne when she was young. Fell in love, had a child and named him for his father." Shrugging slightly, she looked around the room and then turned back to Genuvah. "She got involved in dangerous things, and I was there but never showed myself to any but her. Not even her husband knew." Shaking her head, though, she looked away, back out of the window.

"Until the trial they needed me," Her voice sounded broken in two and she couldn't look at him. "I wasn't there and the ship left, with my grandson on it and they took my daughter."

Shaking her head, she looked at Genuvah with an expression of hope, fear, concern and despair all intermingled. She seemed to be gazing at him in the hope of seeing something, some recognition, some... any thing. But then, suddenly, she laughed. Mirthless and dry, that sound was and she turned her attention to the cup which she had emptied and which she obviously wished she could empty all over again. "I've searched a long time and gone a little mad in the process. Don't mind me. An old woman's ramblings is all. But if you've got family, boy, don't let them go."
word count: 342
Current Status:
Genuvah
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Genuvah didn't know how to feel about the reaction he was seeing in the old woman. On the one hand, it may have been an elaborate trick by one well-versed in acting and deception. On the other, it may have been the genuine exhaustion of a long life of telling lies. He suddenly felt overcome by a need to free his conscience. He spoke the rest of the conversation in hushed Ulehi, only lapsing into common whenever someone got close enough to hear. "I'm Genuvah. You need to stop saying my name in public. It might draw the wrong kind of attention. Given all you've told me, I believe I'm the Genuvah you're looking for. And if what you say is true and not some trap, you're my grandmother?"

"Who took my mother?" Genuvah asked, searching her face for signs of treachery. "Why did all of this happen? And by the way, what is your name?"

Genuvah felt his mind racing a league every second. He was too excited to have found some link to his past. It'd been a few years since he'd travelled from Rharne, and now to have someone with a link to his past was too tempting to lose it by way of caution. He almost didn't care if the person in front of him may be working for the enemies of his family, and his enclave. He wanted to know more about why he was exiled to this arse end of nowhere island, as lovely as it might've been to him.

'I'm sorry, I know you probably don't trust me anymore than I have until now. I just couldn't be too careful." He reached a hand out for her to take, "I'm glad to have found you."
word count: 314
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Almund”