The Price of Wool.

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Honathor Longreach
Approved Character
Race: Immortal
Profession: Farmer
Renown: 37
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Price of Wool.

Hey all, I am new, so take this in the context of I love the rich detail here, I am planning my farming alt now and excited actually.
I have probably just missed a section on farming and will now look silly, regardless.

The price of wool seems off. 2.2 GN per yard seems a lot. I know it is probably meant to imply more wool than this, but here is
how I read it from the guide. http://standingtrials.com/pricing.php#fabrics

It takes 100 Grams of wool for about 220 yards of wool yarn, that was one estimate in the link below for example. So 1 Gram to 2.2 Yards.
http://ask.metafilter.com/200119/How-lo ... ps-wool-be

You get between 2-30 pounds of wool from a sheep a year.
http://www.sheep101.info/wool.html
In reality you actually get maybe 1 jumper for example per pound, so the price to items seems normal. You'd get 2 to 30 items of clothing out of each sheep, per year.

But back to yards of wool. So let's say the low end, 10 pounds from 4 modest sized sheep of the starting package, and let's even say you lose 20% (2 pounds) or so combing, cleaning it.
That's 8 Pounds Per Sheep x 4 Sheep = 32 Pounds. With 453 Grams in a pound. So lets say 450 Grams x 32 Pounds = 14400 grams total wool a year from your four sheep.
14400 Grams x 2.2 Yards = 31680 Yards a Year.
31680 x 2.2 GN a year for the wool pricing and you see the issue.

Bearing in mind when you look at what the cost might be for sale, this is the low end of what a player could RP obtaining, with large sheep they could have near 3 times as much. Sure you'll need to haggle and maybe lose some off the top there, but even 50,000 GN a year is enough to pick up a small private army with just a few sheep. Though I am assuming the price isn't for wool yarn, this post was designed to lay it all out so you could correct me.

This is from the perspective that I fully appreciate farmers getting wealthy, it is more realistic than you might think, unless they are heavily taxed which they often were of course in times past. If I were to make a suggestion, i'd simply put - this is what each type of animal can earn you a year, and leave it like that. On the somewhat generous side, because farmers can become quite wealthy when not taxed too harshly.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up my confusion and thanks for reading if you got this far.
word count: 469
Golem
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Templates

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

The Price of Wool.

Yeah, you're correct- if it were for wool yarn, it would be horrendously overpriced. But its actually for wool cloth-

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0372700/the- ... -jet-black
For 22.59$/yard

http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabr ... iting.html
For ~20-25$/yard

It's more expensive in Idalos than in the real world, but that's not that surprising considering all the extra work that you'd have to put in instead of machines preparing it.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :D

EDIT: One other thing to consider- as a farmer, you would likely not be doing the processing yourself, so that profit would be much lower. You'd sell the raw wool to someone else who would then turn around and process it and then they'd sell it at 2gn/yard- so likely you'd get paid at most half that.
word count: 150
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2080
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

The Price of Wool.

Also worth to point out that yarn is in the price list, too (In the sewing kit) and is 5sn x ball (which is, I always assume a 100g ball as that's what's most commonly available irl) So, depending on what you turn your sheep's wool into (cloth or yarn) might make a difference too?
word count: 58
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Navik
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Doctor
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Price of Wool.

NOTE: Golem knows a lot more than I do, but since I prepared such a long answer I'll post it here anyway. And you can use bits of it if it would help you in a IC perspective. I'm not an expert and I'm just offering my thoughts in things. :)

First of all, welcome to Standing Trials! Hope your time here so far is being great :)

According to this source (http://www.katiecannonscraft.com/sheep-medieval/), medieval sheeps (the kind you'd expect to have here, I think) were generally smaller than today. Taking the more "similar breeds that exist today" and comparing it to your source, a sheep would only provide 2-8 pounds of wool. And a sheep that could provide 8 pounds would be expected to be a big sheep. Depending on the breed you are drawing from, a sheep could provide as little as 1 pound only. Because they would be smaller than their RL equivalents.

But let's say it's a medium sized sheep, that nowadays would produce 4-6 pounds. In Idalos, they would produce 3-5 (I admit here that it's just a rough estimate for them being smaller, so I could be mistaken). An average of 4 per sheep.

I'd argue that is more realistic (taking the number from your source) that 50% of its weight would be lost, since I think Idalos wouldn't have many technologies to optimize the cleaning process (although it would be interesting and awesome to see a PC trying to come up with something). So an average of 2 pound per medium sheep.

2 pounds per sheep x 4 sheeps = 8 pounds.
450 x 8 = 3600 grams
3600 grams x 2.2 yards = 7920 yards
7920gn from what Golem said.

So you now have to feed your sheep. Medium sized animals cost 1gn 5sn per cycle to maintain. There are 3 cycles in Idalos, so:
1gn 5sn x 3 = 3gn 15sn = 4gn 5sn per sheep
4gn 5sn x 4 sheeps = 16gn 20sn = 18gn

So you'd get 7.902gn

Considering the living expenses and all, it would make sense according to the job and wage list for a farmer (considering you can win much more than that once you improve your skills and keep your job for enough time, which in game would translate in more profit for better cared, bigger and more sheep, more experience to lower the waste of wool and more experience overall in running and taking care of your farm).
word count: 424
Honathor Longreach
Approved Character
Race: Immortal
Profession: Farmer
Renown: 37
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Price of Wool.

Thanks all, i've got a good idea now of costs, you each helped a lot.

I think it might be helpful to put some of this into an article for future newbies like myself, as it certainly helped me.
word count: 40
Golem
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Templates

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

The Price of Wool.

Perfect- we want to ensure that we can help clear things up as much as possible, and by all means point these types of things out. We're not infallible, and I know for a fact that we've noticed some conflicting lore or impossible values recently, especially with the price list.

We're working on putting together several more guides over the next few months, so I'll be sure to take a look at adding "A Guide to Farming in Idalos" to the list! Thanks for the input, and feel free to PM me if you'd like to collaborate or toss some ideas back and forth on that :)
word count: 111
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”