Languages of Idalos

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Varath
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 20
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Languages of Idalos

Am I missing something here?

The Knowledge Base has a huge list of languages and that's pretty much it. There's little to no note of who speaks or spoke it, which languages are related and how far, which languages use which letters etc.

Is this information available somewhere? Is it in the Regional and Race lore? Has it simply never been established? Is there no such thing as a language family in Idalos?

Or am I just missing something?
word count: 81
Navik
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Doctor
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Languages of Idalos

I'll do my best to answer you, but my knowledge here is also very limited.

As far as I know, the languages aren't fully developed, and there are no set correlation between them yet. There are some information about racial languages on each race lore, but that's about it.

However, you can see which language is spoken by who and where in the language list. I'd just take the information on who speaks the language where and combine it with its rarity to figure out more details. For exemple, the Dehasin is spoken by human shaves in Athart and is an uncommon language, so the possibility of someone outside Athart who isn't a slave and speaks the language is very small. But since it isn't rare, there might be group of slaves near Athart who use it.

On the other hand, Umhini is spoken by anyone in Southern Idalos, and is a common language. Therefore you can assume it's fairly easy to find someone who speaks it in the south, and perhaps can find speakers on cities that trade enough with them.

I may be wrong somewhere, but that's how I'd go about the languages to at least figure who speaks which one and where. Hopefully it helped a little.

All that said, it'd be awesome to have a language developer team who would work on more details regarding the languages,. But regardless, suggestions can be always made in the development forum.
word count: 252
Golem
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Templates

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Languages of Idalos

Basically what Navik said- we haven't had the time to fully flesh that out, what with there still being large gaps in our lore and unfinished cities.

If you had any ideas for it, or are interested in helping to develop those kinds of things, head on over to the Create the World forum! There players can submit ideas for further expanding the world of Idalos.
word count: 67
Varath
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 20
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Languages of Idalos

Ha!

I both hoped and dreaded to get that answer. I'd love to help, though I dread the time to be spent on on-site research (well I more dread my wife yelling at me but maybe I can do that at work). Still, even with the vast tracts of land between centers of culture I find it impossible to assume that all Idalosian language developed independently of one another.

Anyway I'll just point out once that this MIGHT not be something you want a relative newbie to the site and setting doing but if there's no objections at base level I'll prepare a suggestion.
word count: 109
Navik
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Doctor
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Languages of Idalos

If you're interested in doing it, I don't think the mods would mind. Specially since more veteran players and the mods themselves would probably give you feedback and suggestions along the way, so you won't be alone on that, (:
word count: 42
Golem
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Templates

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Languages of Idalos

Yeah, we'd love to have someone take a look at it. Each of us have our own specialities, and things that we know a bit more about. I know that we'd be more than happy to help answer any questions you had while figuring it out, and there are a number of experienced and knowledgable PCs on the site that would love to assist you.

More likely than not, the various languages developed together, as you mentioned. I believe, though I'm not certain, that the races were created already having knowledge of the language, so it might have started out as variations of a root language that the Original Beings spoke.

Just to mention, because we have had it come up in the past- we cannot approve any development done until you have submitted your CS for approval. By all means, we'd be happy to help out with any questions and you could start working on it, but the actual approval can't happen until you've got the brown name :)

I must admit I know very little about languages and the history of them, or how they interact, but it's something that is definitely needed in our world.
word count: 204
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”