Lost in the Cold Finale

It's about to get wild...

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Ent
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Lost in the Cold Finale

11th-12th Cylus, Arc 717

The four of them were back together now, stood in the large open room that they had entered into. They could all now see it in its entirety, from one side to the other. The light of the lantern was strong when nothing lay ahead to obscure the rays. The girl was still lying still, leaning against the wall unmoved. It appeared if she was alive she had not heard any of the commotion from the group, particularly Kata taking hold of Arlo and Vega. His hand still covering their mouths even though Arlo had managed to turn a little. Kata let out a soft hush as he glared at them trying to keep them from making any sounds.

Kata's gaze moved from the hopefully calmed two people in his grasp over to Asari, she still stood a few feet away. He glared at her afraid to even whisper, if they were lucky enough that it hadn't been awoken already he wouldn't risk it now. He just hoped that she was smart enough to remain silent and even still, moving would cause noise. Noise was something they could not risk.

Kata cast his gaze elsewhere now, it would appear to be towards the girl. However, that was not the real case instead it was looking beside her. His eyes widened in shock as he noticed it, the full grown adult Uwär Bysez. It was a dark skin tone, a brown but in the light and due to the dust from the cave it appeared more greyish, explaining why he had not noticed it immediately. Kata knew how dangerous these creatures were and he was almost frozen with fear as he stared at it.

He knew one was inside, yet, he had hoped it would be deeper in or at least not lying right besides the girl. He was amazed she had not woken the hibernating creature with her entrance before them, she had been incredibly lucky. He doubted this luck would be with them too, even if he hoped it would. He released the two's mouths still hushing softly. "Look, no speak, no move but look." He whispered and it could barely be heard it was like a soft breeze to the ears of those listening to him. He pointed at the beast his eyes still wide with fear.

Off Topic
As usual 3 days to reply, if you have any issues with what is down or why you cannot reply please do let me know via PM. Enjoy!

Happy writing!

-Ent

word count: 438
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Dweeb
Renown: 1379
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Lost in the Cold Finale

If they lived through this then, by every Immortal she knew, a few she didn't and the stars in the sky, Vega was going to kill Kata. As he clapped his hand over her mouth, she glared right back at him. It took every ounce of self control she had not to lift her knee and make sure that he never bred and passed on stupid to his children. When she calmed down, she'd recognise that she wasn't being fair, but Vega was terrified and she'd been worried silly about Kata too. So here he came with the lantern and he went around clamping his hands over her mouth and Arlo's.

He motioned with his gaze and Vega turned to look. In looking, she saw and Vega took a half step backwards. She lifted her hand and removed Kata's hand from her mouth. She put her hands out in a still, calm gesture and then she looked at Arlo and smiled. Lifting her hands, she signed to him. "One must go. Child be full of fear and slow. I trust you to not shoot me." She'd been practising, it seemed. Then, she signed in very simple gestures.

She pointed to herself, then put one finger on her lips and did a scissor movement with two fingers on her other hand to show a quiet movement before pointing to the child. Then, she gestured a scooping motion, lifting the child in her arms before sneaking back out. Then she pointed to Arlo, motioning to one side of the entrance, Kata the other. Then, Asari to behind them and holding the lantern (which she showed by pointing to it). She signed then to Arlo. "That plan if good. It sleep, I lift and move slow and quiet."

Then, she pointed to the beast itself and made a gesture with her hands, moving from laying her head flat on two hands to suddenly "waking up", she gestured scooping up the child and then moving, but this time the fingers which did so moved quickly. Very quickly. She would run, but then she pointed at Arlo and Kata who would, judging by her hand movements, be shooting the thing whilst she ran and Asari kept the light so they could get out of there. To Arlo, who she was sure would argue, she signed simply "I better at quiet than you. You better with bow than me. More chance all live." She looked at him and shrugged. She wasn't being reckless, she was being logical.

If they understood and agreed, Vega would take off her coat and make sure that she had maximised her chance to be as stealthy as possible. What they couldn't do, she knew, was waste time arguing about it.
Off Topic
To clarify, the "Speech" is Common Sign. She doesn't hide it, she signs to Arlo but so everyone can see it, she just thinks he's the only one who understands it. She has it at conversational. So there is not noise, just hand movements.
word count: 522

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: 625
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Lost in the Cold Finale

Even if done for the very best of reasons, Arlo...had speaking aloud been the best of all options and not the worst, would have pointed out that sneaking up on the group in the dark, grabbing and putting hands over their mouths, might not have been the smartest of moves. But luckily he saw what the fuss was about before he did.

Still, the young man didn't care for it and removed the hand, considering their next move. It would be foolish beyond compare to wake a sleeping beast, especially if it was the aggressive and territorial kind. But they couldn't just stand around and hope the child woke before the beast did, and then come to them on her own. Quietly. It did make him wonder which came first? Did the creature lay down and curl up beside a sleeping child? Or was it the reverse that was true.

But he guessed that the only reason it might matter, was if the thing was feeling territorial about her. And nonetheless, though he'd have argued with Vega under different circumstances, he had to admit that what she suggested made sense. Arlo understood her perfectly well. Someone needed to go. She could go quieter than him and he was a fair shot with a bow.

So in response to her plan, he signed back a simple message. "Yes." One hand, his right one with fingers curled and thumb tucked, bobbing twice as if he was rapping on a tabletop. "Please. That same hand, palm against his chest in a circular motion. And "Careful." Two hands each forming the sign for 'k', stacked one on the other in front of him and rotated back towards his body in a circular motion. At any rate, he'd nodded in response to her plan all the same, and had nodded his head.

There'd be no argument from him, this time, so having agreed, he readied his bow and nocked an arrow, aimed, and moved into a position with his back to the wall of the tunnel. He'd have to trust she'd tread carefully and retreat if the thing woke and attacked. But meanwhile, the sleeping beast was his primary focus. That was the thing he'd need to shoot after all, should it awake from it's slumber.
word count: 391
Asari Rosacea
Approved Character
Race: Lotharro
Profession: Herbalist
Renown: -4
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Lost in the Cold Finale

Any other time, Asari would have screamed. As Kata gestured towards the beast, and Asari noticed it for the first time, it took all her power not to. She barely managed to stop herself from either gasping, whimpering, or full on yelling. What in Audrae’s name is that thing?! She thought, panicked. Her eyes went wide, body frozen as she stared. Nashaki had beasts, sure. So did Nekhet, so did everywhere, but Asari had never seen something like the giant lizard slumbering in front of her.

Fear shot through the Naerikk, who had seldom dealt with such creatures. She was in the woods plenty, but if she had actually come across one of whatever that thing was, she certainly would have been a goner. She had no clue how the thing fought, but from the look on Kata’s face, she was certain it wasn’t good. How had such a little girl ended up in such an awful situation?

From where she stood, Asari still wasn’t entirely convinced the girl was alive, but she wasn’t about to leave without knowing. The image of Rin’ea’s distraught mother popped into her head, and Asari’s poor attempt at comforting her. The Naerikk wasn’t willing to give up and flee.

Movement caught her attention, her eyes trailing to Vega and watching the movements of her hands. Asari had never seen such a bizarre thing, eyes narrowing, her eyebrows quirked in a curious expression. She had no clue what Vega was saying at first, trying to gain some understanding of it, but failing horribly. “What?” She mouthed the words to Vega. Luckily, only a moment later Vega was simplifying it with more easy to understand gestures.

Walk over… Grab child… Kata and Arlo guard entrance… I hold lantern? Asari’s expression turned into a grimace. Why was she stuck with the lantern? However, though Asari was stubborn, even she saw this plan was the best. She didn’t trust herself to get the child, and Arlo and Kata were both better prepared to fight than she was. She watched as Vega explained plan b: Run.

Simple enough. Hope she knows what she’s risking. Asari thought, giving what she hoped was a confident nod. Taking a careful, quiet step towards them, she held her hand out to take the lantern from Kata. However, before she moved to get into place, Asari reached out with her loose hand, grabbing Vega gently by the wrist.

The Naerikk looked up to meet her gaze, hesitating. The two had gotten off to a grumpy start on this quest to save Rin’ea but… Asari didn’t like the immense amount of risk Vega would be taking now. It was necessary, but still. Despite their differences, Asari didn’t wish harm on the half Sev’ryn, half Biqaj woman. Unable to say anything, and unsure what she’d say if she could, Asari’s hesitation merely ended in a nod. Be careful. She hoped her stopping Vega momentarily would convey. With that, she released her wrist and moved, carefully, to hold the lantern up.
word count: 529
Summer Rain
Avrae Kyric Asari Rosacea Olivia Warrick Talisa Tawfeek Teryani Shenandoah
CS CS CS CS CS
Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes
Templates Templates Templates Templates Templates
Partner Partner Partner Partner Partner
Ent

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Lost in the Cold Finale

It took Kata a few moments to work out the meaning of Vega's complex hand signals. He was sure that really her signing was quite simple and it was just him that was struggling with it. He was not stupid, far from it in fact. It was more that he was too preoccupied with the beast and confused why they were still there, besides the girl of course. So he moved to one side mirroring Arlo on the other side of the entrance.

He drew his bow and knocked an arrow as he waited for what came next. Vega and Asari seemed to briefly share a moment and although it may have looked like Asari was about to start a fight as she grabbed Vega's arm it was quickly clear it wasn't the case. Kata for one was sure that nobody would be foolish enough to fight or argue with the giant Lizard that close and only asleep.

Kata watched as Vega set off taking to crossing the gap alone and heading for the small girl, who was seemingly still without movement. He was worried now that the girl had remained still, the complete lack of movement from her made him feel uncomfortable. Small children did not stay still that long unless something was seriously wrong.

Kata watched the Lizard intently afraid it would wake and devour them all. His fears were only worsened as he saw Vega's foot suddenly slip, scattering a group of small rocks over the floor. The sound echoed around the large open space like a collection of dice in some kind of gambling game. Everything would freeze for a second as they watched in anticipation only to be met by silence and a lack of movement. Surprise would be clear on Kata's face as he continued to watch the beast.

Unaware to everyone in the room the lizards far eye would now flicker open, hidden from the group by its body. Yet, open all the same scanning the wall which it laid against and searching for the source of the sound that disturbed its slumber.
word count: 362
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Lost in the Cold Finale

Arlo understood her and didn't argue with her. Normally, Vega would be all brash about such things but she was afraid. However, somewhere and somehow along the line, somewhere between the skeeterwampulus and the spulmokawarta, betwixt the dawn ball and the burning ship, Arlo Creede had become her friend. So, at his plea to be careful, Vega determined that he was going to remain positive and hopeful and she wasn't going to give him reason to doubt, so she gave him the sassiest grin she had, lifted her hands and signed; holding her index finger up in the air, palm back, she drew a couple of large circles, "Always". But then, her face took on a more serious expression, although she tried not to show her fear still, after all he had to have belief that this would be alright, he had to maintain hope. With a serious gaze she nodded her head before lifting her index finger to her lips and then lowering it, placing it palm down and flat on top of the thumb-side of her other hand, closed into a fist, "Promise."

That was about as close to affectionate as she got so, that done, she removed her coat and she looked down in some surprise as Asari took her by the wrist. No matter how it might have looked from the outside, Vega had been grabbed by the wrist no end of times in no end of situations, she had no doubt that it was a friendly gesture from the moment it started. She looked at the Naerikk woman and smiled, placed her own hand over Asari's and nodded back. If Asari had been in any doubt that Vega knew what she was doing, it showed in her expression in the few trills between the surprise of Asari's gesture and the time Vega regained her bravado. With a smile, Vega pointed to the lantern. Then, she pointed to Asari and mouthed the word 'you', to herself and then 'my' and to her own, currently almost solid silver, eyes and mouthed the word 'eyes'. Another smile and then she just mouthed the words 'thank you'.

Right. Enough of this, the young mixed blood decided and she started to make her way. She started to move and then her foot slipped and a load of stones shot out. Vega put her hand up, signalling to those behind her ~ wait... just wait. She stood stock still and then, when nothing happened, she breathed out and lowered her hand. Her heart was pounding so loudly in her chest that she was sure the creature would hear it.

Slowly, oh so very slowly, Vega moved. As she moved she did something quite unlike her. Internally, she held a dialogue which she aimed entirely at the Immortal of Hope. Vega wouldn't have called it praying, because that to her was something done in a Temple. But the Immortals were everywhere, she fully believed it and, with a bit of luck, this one was listening. Alright, Xiur. I've talked to you all my life, you know that. Look at the stars, see hope shining and all that. But never quite so formal, like. See, my blood is silver and my father tells me that means I'm of the stars. And that's you. I always feel better when I look at the stars and I know it's just like oh, typical mortal, wants something so being a pain now, but I'm scared. I don't want to show that lot, because they'll get more scared and they're frightened enough. It's why we glow a little bit, I always thought... " She kept concentrating as she walked, one foot in front of the other walking even more slowly than before. "It's so we can be a light, isn't it? Give them hope. But right now, I could use a little bit myself. So, if you could see your way to help, I'd be ever so grateful. Cos that little girl isn't moving, that's one big scary lizard and as much as I believe this is the best plan we've got, that just means we're woefully unprepared. So, thanks. Good to chat, I feel better." Which, of all things, she did.

And, as far as Vega was concerned, the plan hadn't changed so, she kept moving and she looked to see if the girl was breathing as soon as she was able to see. Then, she would follow the plan and the plan was simple. Get to the girl, lift her in her arms and walk back. Vega knew the plan and she was absolutely focused on it happening just right. But she had plan B firmly in her mind, too. Run. Of course, what she wouldn't do was run without the girl in her arms. They'd come this far, they had a job to do.
word count: 840

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: 625
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Lost in the Cold Finale

Vega's grin was mostly for show, Arlo thought. Or even an attempt to reassure herself, and not just them or him. What she was about to to do was dangerous in the extreme. And most would say foolhardy too. But if there was a chance of getting that girl back healthy and whole, he wasn't sure what other choices they had.

He'd come to the conclusion though, or at least he very strongly suspected that it was the girl who'd laid down by the lizard and not the other way around. He'd looked for other tracks of other people or creatures leading into the tunnel. Maybe he'd missed them somehow, dark as it was. But something else occurred to the young man as he positioned himself and took aim, just in case. There were certain creatures you just didn't see many of in winter. If any at all.

Snakes, lizards, they slept out of sight through the cold. Slept deep and sound, and if by chance one was seen out in the open, they moved very slowly. Sluggish. Which made Arlo wonder if that thing had been sleeping quite a long time, and if it was less likely to wake, or move quickly if at all. It was a nice thought. But it would be foolish to make the assumption, and let his guard down.

When Vega slipped and upset a flurry of stones, he flinched, but only glanced her way for a trill before focusing back on the lizard. The slightest move in Vega's direction, or the girl's, and he'd be ready to fire an arrow. He said a silent prayer to Cassion, pointing out that while this was definitely exploring new territory and an adventure, both things the Immortal embraced, he'd be appreciative were they all to come out of it unscathed.
word count: 315
Asari Rosacea
Approved Character
Race: Lotharro
Profession: Herbalist
Renown: -4
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Lost in the Cold Finale

Asari didn’t have many friends. She never had. But she saw potential in Vega to be a friend- and she wasn’t ready to watch her die. She didn’t want anyone to die for this- and she was still hoping Rin’ea was okay, too. If we get out of this alive, I’m going to do something huge to contribute to Desnind. Make a temple for Audrae, perhaps. Though that may not go over too well, considered she isn’t well liked here… Maybe hold a feast? Or invite Kata, Arlo, and Vega to a dinner, or drinks at the Kẹjï Kisa? As she felt Vega take her hand, Asari looked up to meet her gaze, carefully watching her sign. This time there was no question what she said. I’m your eyes. I won’t let you down.

Returning a nervous smile, Asari watched her pull away. Almost immediately, there was a slip up, Asari unable to stop a small gasp leaving her lips as she watched the clattering stones. One of her hands briefly clasped over her mouth, trying not to make another sound even though her heart was racing. It felt like time stood still for a brief moment, and Asari was frozen, watching with wide blue eyes. As Vega began to move again, slowly, Asari swallowed nervously.

Holding the lantern with both hands so it wouldn’t shake and make sound, Asari took a tentative step forward, holding it up so she could give Vega as much light as possible. But otherwise she stayed where she was, watching the red haired woman move.

Asari didn’t know much about the beast in front of them, but she had to wonder how good its hearing was. Glancing back towards Kata, the worry was clear across her face. Please tell me this thing eats plants. She thought desperately as she looked towards Vega again. Obviously that wasn’t the case, and Asari only grew more nervous. Come on Vega… hurry up. She mentally cheered her on. She would be glad when this was over and they had all their fingers and toes left.
OOC Note
Hey guys! Sorry for the wait, and the short post. Totally lost track of time. Won't happen again! <3 Go Vega, go!
word count: 390
Summer Rain
Avrae Kyric Asari Rosacea Olivia Warrick Talisa Tawfeek Teryani Shenandoah
CS CS CS CS CS
Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes
Templates Templates Templates Templates Templates
Partner Partner Partner Partner Partner
Ent

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Lost in the Cold Finale

The Uwär Bysez seemed to stay still, everyone could see it laying stationary on the other side of the room. Vega would easily make her way to the girl now, reaching the place where she laid still. There were no more slip ups on her part, no more loud noises. Yet, the damage had already been done, the beast was awake its single open eye still flickered around searching for the source. It could see the shadows and it was waking up even more now, those watching closely would see the tail twitch. A small movement, but on such a big creature it was noticeable as it lifted slightly and then lowed back down.

Asari, Arlo and Kata were all a distance away, but they would be more likely to see the monster's movement than Vega. She would already be passed the tail, it out of her vision once at the point where she can check the girl. Vega would be able to easily lift the small girl and as she took her into her arms she would feel the girls weak head turn to look at her. Her eyes would be full of fear and she would appear confused.

However, the mistake that would be made would be her speech. "Sev ara ke’ua lẹwa." The words were soft and faint and they were also strange. Maybe the girl was delusional or maybe she was not completely aware of how bad the situation really was. But her eyes showed some kind of joy at being found by the woman, although she would only be awake for those few seconds before passing out again in Vega's arms.

Asari and Arlo would now see movement as the creature was roused by the girls voice. If Vega turned around she would see the movement too or the others could warn her. First its other eye shot open revealing the three people stood guarding the exit. Then it would stand coming up onto all four feet, its tongue flickering out to taste the air. It turned to face them and noticing the two girls beside it kept turning instead to face them. The creatures movements were mostly sluggish, much like Arlo had anticipated but its sheer size meant it could cover distance quickly if need be.

► Show Spoiler

word count: 406
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Lost in the Cold Finale

Alright, XIur, I mean, I know I just talked to you and everything, she probably didn't have praying quite right, but it was as honest a prayer from the strangely spiritual young woman as could be. But have you seen this thing? I mean, it's not just big, it's bloody big. So, see, there's this little girl. I've got to grab ahold of her and I just have to keep hope. The stars are still shining and their light is in my blood. RIght? Right One step, one foot in front of the other and she was passing the tail.

Dusk is your thing, too, and clouds. I asked my father about that once, did you know that? Another step towards it, she could no longer see the tail, nearly there. And he told me that that's why you're hope. Because dusk and clouds they are times the stars can be hidden, but they're always there. Just got to hope. Well, it's feeling pretty dusk and cloudy like right now, but I'm not giving up hope. Right? Right. Just one more step, that would be all it took. Thanks, Xiur. I think if you weren't there to have a chat with, I'd have run. I might still run and if that bloody thing wakes up I'm not hanging around. Hope's all well and good, but I'll be hoping I run fast enough, ok? Ok. Thanks for the chat. How are you? I hope you're alright. I guess you've got a lot of pressure on you as an Immortal. I'm always happy to have a chat if you fancy one. If it was odd to be talking to Xiur in that way she didn't notice it any more than she thought that offering to have a cup of tea and a sit down natter was strange. Anyhow, I'm here, so I've got to concentrate. It'll be alright. Right? Right. Thanks

Her focus turned completely then to the child, to Rin'ea. Vega lowered herself and scooped the child up in her arms. She was alive. Oh, thanks be to Xiur and U'frek and all of them. She was groggy and almost unconscious, but then of all things, she spoke. Vega hadn't even considered that and as the girl did, Vega held her close to her chest, wrapping her arms around the little child. She turned and glanced, just a glance, at the others and she saw Arlo's face.

She didn't see the eye open. She didn't see it flicker out it's tongue. She didn't need to because she saw it written on the faces of the people in front of her. It was possible that she would misread the faces of Asari or Kata because she didn't know them. However, one look at Arlo's face was enough, one gesture from him and Vega knew that they had hit, without a shadow of a doubt, Plan B.

She tightened her arms around Rin'ea and Vega ran. Towards the entrance and out of it, if she could. She was holding a child and she would not stop to wait for the others. She wouldn't go scrambling out of there, they all needed to move together but whilst her druthers would normally be to stand and fight, to back up her friends, she knew that she had to focus now. They would all retreat but her and the child had to get out of here first, with Asari. Then, Arlo and Kata had a job and that was to hold the creature back if they possibly could before they all legged it. They each had their jobs and so Vega knew that her job was to get this child out of here so that the others could follow and they could all leave. So, Vega ran and she did the only other thing that she could do.

She hoped.
word count: 685

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”