• Information • [Scalvoris]Festivals, Traditions & Tales

Herein is kept all the repositories of information for players. Repositories include: flora, fauna, NPCs and materials, for example, along with Scalvoris' Lore Thread and all the information you need on what makes Scalvoris Unique!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: [Scalvoris]Festivals, Traditions & Tales

Havardr Beam Carving

Developed by Yeva

Background: Havadr is often overlooked in its simplicity when paired next to other regions of Scalvoris, but its culture is unique and bound in the respect for the hardworking and dedicated. While widely known for its ever-moving yurts, once a cycle, for those whom have achieved great things, the standing Chief may choose to recognize them publically - offering them to have a residence permanently within their village, the structural beams of their yurt carved with their feats by master craftsmen. These are often depicted through symbolic carvings and scenery, not of the honored's exact image (and certainly not their face), as it is seen as bad luck to do so by the superstitious seafarers.

Details: This is a new tradition acquired by the people of Havadr when Chief Linca took leadership. Respected as both fisherman and hunter, one early morning while out on the water, Linca and his men were met with a group of nameless mer bleeding in the water. Seeking aid, they swallowed their pride and approached the fishing boat where Linca acquiesced to give them treatment. It was, however, a mistake that cost a man his life. The mer had laid a trap for the men who had unknowingly invaded their waters and called reinforcements to attack and sink the boat. The Havadr crew was nearly taken under, but it was Linca who fight tirelessly with his blade, best mate at his side, and together they slaughtered the mer, darkening the water with their traitorous blood. Making it back to shore, the losses and injuries were severe, but it would have been a complete massacre without Linca's strength. Majority vote deemed he would always deserve a place of security within their village, not ever-shifting like the waters, but one with proud structure. The men and women constructed Linca one of the finest yurts in Havardr, made of the studiest skins and beams of heavy wood, carved by the hands of his own people. Honored, Linca now offers this ritual to others, both native and outsider if they can manage to deserve it. Those who are invited to participate in this honor receive +20 renown, and a permanent yurt within Havadr that can never be taken by another.

Regional Specifics: Havardr
word count: 383
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Dunking

Developed by Darius Baer.
Background: Dunking is believed to have originated around the island of Ishallr. It eventually became a widespread test of a sailor's mettle, and is now considered an essential part of every seafarer's apprenticeship.

Details: Dunking is the act of submerging oneself in icy water as a form of initiation for seafarers. According to tradition, a sailor must be unclothed and jump from the stern of a ship. Only when he or she has made it back on deck without assistance, can they truly claim to be a friend of the sea, and thus, a seafarer. It is thought that dunking not only familiarises the sailor with the water, but also the water with the sailor, so that if they are to meet again in the future, the seas might recognise the sailor as a friend and help him or her to survive. While some consider dunking to be a simple test of bravery, others consider it a deeply reverential act of respect to U'frek and his domain, and some will repeat it on an annual basis to further earn the waters' favour. The hardiest of sailors will insist that if the water is not cold enough to freeze a man to death before he has half a chance to drown, then it is not cold enough for dunking. Among seafarers, it is deemed highly offensive to falsely claim to have undergone the dunking ritual.

Regional Specifics: Dunking is practiced all along the coast of the Scalvoris Island area, but traditionalists will insist that the purest form of dunking can only be done at Ishallr.
word count: 272

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Sparrow's Treasure

Developed by Yeva of Rharne

Background: A story of unknown origin, which is currently recorded in a storybook that once belonged to Friell, the owner of Scalvoris' "Spirit of Adventure". Below is the translation as performed by Yeva of Rharne here.

Details:

"There was once a pirate called Scarlet Sparrow who sailed the southern seas. They said her attacks and boarding throughout Idalos had amassed her a fabulous amount of treasure - The greatest ever known! Like any proper pirate, the Scarlet Sparrow trusted no one and kept her treasure tucked away under the hold of her ship. One day, the Scarlet Sparrow heard word of another grand treasure being transported, by one of Idalos' most powerful ships. It was a beast of a galleon, and well-armed. But, no one enjoyed the challenge of stealing and sinking ships more than the Scarlet Sparrow, whose greed had amassed more than many lifetimes worth of gold and onyx and jewels. So, the Scarlet Sparrow devised a plan. With the power of her crew, they hunted down the galleon, chasing it across the water for three trials, and each night, as the moons rose, the Scarlet's Sparrow's hunger grew for more.

When it was time, like a swooping gull, the Scarlet's Sparrow's ship fell upon the galleon and the water ran red with the blood of its victims. Without doubt, this was a formidable haul of treasure, almost as big as what Scarlet Sparrow already had. Pleased with her reign of terror, she rubbed her hands together, thinking how to continue multiplying her riches. When the pirates had loaded all the treasure, they sank the enemy's galleon, and prepared a great feast to celebrate the deed.

Yet.. Despite all that she had taken, the hunger in the Scarlet Sparrow was without end. She feasted and drank, never stopping. And her crew, loyal and fat with avarice, followed. They ate and ate and ate, and drank until the barrels ran dry. And by the first rays of morning, they were so drunk, they didn’t realize that their own ship was gradually sinking.By the time anyone took notice, there was nothing that could be done! The treasure haul had been so big and heavy that the ship could not stay afloat. The ship went to the bottom of the sea with all its wicked pirates, led by Scarlet Sparrow herself. And there they remain to this trial with the trove that had become so enormous… but that never quite managed to equal Scarlet Sparrow's greed and cruelty. The end."

Regional Specifics: Unknown
word count: 438

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Legend of the Shattered Shield

Developed by Elisabeth Angelus
Background: This is one of the many stories centered around the Pirate Lord known as The Guardian and one of her crew members to be named Leopo.
Details:

"I watched her stand out on the bow of her ship, the Shield of Scalvoris. She was looking out as the ships of my crew were coming. I've been held prisoner for a hundred trials now yet I am more welcomed her among the Guardian and her people than I ever had been on my old ship. Food was shared freely and equally, my injuries were treated, and while I was made to work, I was never abused. It was simply not tolerated. My captor, an Ithecal of young age, not that I could tell, was a quiet woman.

When her ship had caught up with my own, it was a massacre, but all who had been willing to lay down arms were given a chance as prisoners. As first mate, I went so first, hoping to save as many of my remaining crew as possible. But they refused, calling me weak. And the Guardian slaughtered all of them. That should've been lesson enough for my captain to not send any more of the ships in his command into Scalvoris waters.

But he was a greedy man and now had three ships, including his own flagship, cutting through the territory. The Guardian raised a hand and tossed it forward. Her crew made the appropriate calls around the ship, and they were full steam ahead to meet the three enemies head-on.

The battle was fierce from the very beginning. My old crew had us surrounded on three sides, soon tethering to the rails. The Guardian's crew was readied, many wielding shields with their cutlasses. They received the attackers who swung over, they stopped swaths of crossbow bolts with disciplined shield walls, and they waited. I could not tell what it was they were waiting for, but they were certainly on the defensive, not going aggressive, which was quite unlike The Guardian.

Then it happened.

A bloodthirsty smile crept upon The Guardian's face and a call went out. One of the shield walls opened up, a flurry of crossbow bolts opening up a gap in the invaders. The Guardian and her elites leapt across to the first of the other ships, penetrating deep through the invading lines who had set no defense of their own, many of their crew on ropes or planks attempting to carve onto The Shield. On the deck of the Scarred Skull, the Guardian and her crew members moved as a single unit, a veritable whirlwind of steel and blood.

Those few people cleared the entire ship themselves, while the rest of the crew defended their ship. The Guardian and her elites, save one, returned to their ship, to bolster the defending ranks and offer some reprieve. The second mate who stayed behind dislodged the Scarred Skull from the Shield of Scalvoris. He was an absolute madman. I've never seen anyone handle such a big ship on his own. But he broke the ship away, swung it in a large arc, crashing it directly into my captain's Flagship, the Orchid. The direct hit to the port side shattered both ships in a clash of splintered wood and screams. The madman danced across the failing decks, stumbling back onto the Shield.

The battle continued onward, the final ship gaining some ground and the defenders on the Shield tiring down. But I saw The Guardian and her mates preparing for another breeching assault. Just as the shield wall opened, the crazy man, the second mate, Feldrick I later learned, saw something none other did. He looked back at me, with the other prisoners in the center of the deck. He leapt out away from the assault team, as two crossbow bolts destined for my own chest pierced his own, throwing him over deck and giving him to Laviku.

A raging snarl filled the air as The Guardian leapt across with her remaining mates and slaughtered the crew to every last man and woman. They set flames to the ships and took what prisoners remained. When the Guardian returned to the deck, she walked over to me, towering and glowering. I thought I was next. I thought I would be an extension of revenge for Feldrick's death. But instead, she held out a wooden shield, Feldrick's name upon it.

And I accepted the offer, accepted my new captain and crew, and accepted the first place that became my home and family. My name is Leopo, and I carry this shield in defense of Scalvoris."

Regional Specifics: Viewed pretty much the same throughout Scalvoris.
word count: 799

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Reclamation Trial

Developed by Darius Baer

Included in the Lore Thread: here and, therefore, all Cylus Calendars from 721 onwards.
Background: Following the eruption of Faldrass on 120th of Ashan, arc 720, surviving residents of the volcanic island became refugees, fleeing their homes with whatever few possessions they could carry. It was not until the 3rd of Cylus, arc 721, that they were in a position to reclaim their home. Bravely led by Balthazar Black and Darius Baer, they launched a small fleet of four ships - including Baer's own ship, the Libertalia - from the town of Almund to return to Faldrass. The refugees established three new settlements on the island. Based on the names of the leaders of the expedition, Reclamation Trial is sometimes referred to colloquially as the Black Baer Trial.
Details: Observed on the 3rd of Cylus each arc, celebrations are fairly ad hoc, with residents of Almund and Faldrass taking time out of their trial to reflect on the lives lost during the eruption and its aftermath, and the bravery of those who dared to forge a new beginning on the island. One aspect of the tradition that remains firm, however, is in the evening, when, amidst the gloom of the cold weather, children in Almund and Faldrass make boats out of parchment - sometimes called 'vellum vessels' - and launch them onto the Hollow Sea.
Regional Specifics: Although the trial is observed by people in all parts of Scalvoris - particularly refugees who never returned to Faldrass - the 'vellum vessels' tradition is restricted almost exclusively to Almund and Faldrass.
word count: 261

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Nero and the North Star (Legend)
Developed by Oram Mednix
Background This is an etymological fable for the Scalvoris Star sign Nero the Hound

Details
Once upon a time, Chrien the Seascourge noticed that mortals had begun to sail fearlessly all over the seas of Idalos. Angered by their insolence, she decided to put a stop to the mortals’ effrontery, and so stole the North Star from the sky and brought it to her lair in the depths of the ocean. Deprived of their lodestar, not even the biqaj could navigate beyond the sight of shore, and so ceased to sail far from home.

Xiur, who had made the star and placed it in the heavens, and Cassion, who wished to see mortals range as far and wide through Idalos as possible, resolved to undo Chrien’s deed. The Wanderer went in search of the star, and since Chrien’s lair was the first place he looked, he found and retrieved it quickly, whereupon Xiur was able to fix it in the sky once more, for sailors to use.

When Chrien realized what had happened, she was furious, and the first chance she got, she stole the North Star again. This time she hid it in a much better place: behind the northern face of a mountain in the Northern Wastes, where would-be navigators looking from the south would never see it. Once more, mortals were unable to cross the seas safely, and so clung close to shore. Once more, the Man of Roads went to look for the stolen star. He searched far and wide this time, taking much longer than before. At last, when he had reached the northern end of the world, he turned to beat his way back south, and that is when he saw the star resting on the side of the mountain facing him. He retrieved the star and gave it back to Xiur, who replaced it a second time in the firmament.

Foiled again, Chrien grew livid, not least of which because she now realized that it must have been Cassion who had retrieved the star. Determined not to be outdone, she stole it a third time, vowing to secret it in a place where even Cassion would never see it. She hid the star inside the moon, Zilis. For a third time, men were deprived of their guiding light, leaving them unable to find their way across the ocean. For a third time, Cassion went to look for the star. He searched from the north end of the world to the south, from east to west. He climbed every summit and dredged every abyss, looked under every rock and behind every tree. The North Star was nowhere to be seen.

At long last, the Wanderer surmised that the star was not in any place where eyes could reach it, and decided to seek it out another way. He took a dog, named Nero, which had a nose so keen it could catch the scent of anything. Using the scent the North Star had left on its spot in the sky, Cassion set Nero upon its trail. The hound had no sooner started sniffing that it raised its head high and began to bay at Zilis. Cassion realized that the North Star must be within. He opened up the moon and retrieved the star for the third and last time. He returned it to Xiur who, determined to make sure Chrien would never take it again, this time bolted the North Star to the firmament so solidly that from that trial on it would never budge from its appointed place, no matter how the other stars in the heavens moved.

Chrien stormed and raged as never before when she discovered this, unleashing great torrents of rain, blinding displays of lightning, deafening salvos of thunder, and waves the size of mountains upon Idalos. She stormed and stormed until her wrath was exhausted, and then at last she retreated to her lair to sulk, vowing revenge against Xiur and Cassion. The North Star remained, and mortals were once again able to use it to sail the length and width of their world.

For its loyal and capable service, Cassion turned Nero the Hound into a constellation of stars, and gave it a place forever in the heavens. Ever since then, when wolves and dogs look up and see their brother in the sky, they bay at Zilis, to celebrate the time that one of their own foiled an Immortal.

Regional specific There are several variants of this tale. The most notable region-specific version is known on Faldrass, and involves Enri von Smooglenuff as another helper of Cassion, and locates Chrien's second hiding place inside Faldrass, rather than in the Northern Wastes

--
word count: 799

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Blue Beachcomber, The Blue Maiden, and the Blue Sands
Developed by Oram Mednix
Background A legend of about Egilrun and its blue sands.

Details
There once lived near Egilrun a young beachcomber who sang as he worked in a voice as beautiful as that of any bird. Many who lived nearby came to hear him sing, and more than one girl had swooned to his singing. Any of them might have loved him But one trial he saw a young woman, an eidisi blue from head to toe, whose beauty, in his eyes, surpassed that of any other, and his heart from that trill on wanted no love but hers. Every morning he would look for her as he walked the beach, and whenever he saw her he would sing the loveliest songs he knew, in the sweetest and strongest voice he could manage. Always she would smile, and thank him, though she never told him who she was. And always he would ask her to come and see him again the next trial, and promised when she did to sing her another song, as beautiful as, if not more so than, the last.

This went on for some time, several seasons at least. But then one trial she did not come. The lovestruck beachcomber searched high and low for the beautiful eidisi, but did not find her. Not discouraged, he would sing the song he had chosen for her, anyway, imagining as he did so that she was there, watching, listening, and smiling. The next trial, she also did not appear, but the young beachcomber sang his song for her anyway. And the same thing happened on the next trial, and the next…

Seasons passed, and then cycles passed, and then arcs. Not a trial went by when the beachcomber did not sing his song dedicated to his missing blue beloved. But she never appeared again. The beachcomber grew older and his youth passed him by. He spurned the love of other women, for he cared for them not. He had no songs for them, only for her. After many arcs, his voice lost its beauty, and he grew too old to sing. When this happened, the beachcomber instead simply played his glass flute, sitting on the beach, offering his wordless melody for his beloved eidisi, still in the hopes that she would once more appear, to listen and to smile on him.

One trial, the beach was silent. The people of Egilrun, missing the music, looked to find the now-old beachcomber lying dead on the sand, still clutching the glass flute to his lips. They all saw, to their wonder, that the sand on that beach had turned blue for as far as they could see, as clear and vivid a blue as that eidisi maiden’s skin. And when they listened they could hear, beneath the thudding of the surf, sweet musical tones seeming to rise from that very blue sand.

And so it is, to this very trial, that one can travel to Egilrun, where one can find beaches of blue sand and hear from its dunes the same sweet tones with which the young beachcomber had serenaded his lost eidisi love all those arcs ago.

Regional specific This legend is specific in its references to Egilrun, but there are rumored to be similar legends from other parts of Idalos.

--
word count: 566

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Enri and the Pigalothsloth

Developed by Doran

Background: This is an example of one of Enri Von Smooglenuff’s many heroic deeds.

Details: Once upon a time, there was a creature that was called the Pigalothsloth. It was a behemoth with the face of a pig and fins that lived in the ocean to the north and that grabbed people that got too closer to the water and devoured them.

The inhabitants of a village near the Pigalothsloth’s home asked Enri Von Smooglenuff for help for they didn’t seem to be able to defeat the monster.

After he had researched the Pigalothsloth for a while, Enri had an idea. He tied himself to the top of a rock whose southern side was facing the water, very tightly. There was a rickety bridge that led to top the rock on one side, and he made sure that the bridge was the easiest way to reach him.

Enri began to taunt the hungry monster.

At first, the Pigalothsloth tried to simply grab him with its long paws and pull him off the rock, but it could not. Each attempt to reach him brought the Pigalothsloth closer to the other side of the rock and the bridge, until it finally left the water completely and climbed the bridge in order to get to its prey.

The bridge collapsed under the monster’s weight, and the Pigalothsloth fell – into the pit below the bridge that Enri had asked the villagers to help him dig beforehand which allowed them to defeat it.

Over the course of his research Enri had found out one thing about the Pigalothsloth – it was weaker and more uncoordinated if no part of its body was in contact with water, and since it had fallen into a pit it could not get back into the ocean to regain its strength.

Regional Specifics: None
word count: 314

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Eight-Fold Reverie

Developed by Woe
Background: The Sintra Cultists of Scalvoris have developed a tradition born from the special resonance that the number Eight has with Divinity in general. Eight Original beings, Eight Lineages of Immortals, and of course the fact that their Divine One has eight legs, and an Emean Domain that contains eight separate districts.

Most of the time this is celebrated in secret in the Shrine of Arachnid, or in similar hidden places around the island. However, sometimes they will infiltrate a public event, and make it their own by signing up six members of their cult to serve as the Guardians of the six houses of manipulation, in accordance with the cosmology of Sintra's Realm, the Eight-Fold Labyrinth.

Details: Normally, there are only six cultists that are chosen for the purpose of this ritual. The other two are generally considered to be outside the cult, either abducted for the purposes of conducting the ritual or in the case of the Festival of Dreams, sought out where they participate in it. The six chosen are chosen for both proficiency in Dreamwalking, and also because it corresponds to the six Halls of Manipulation in Sintra's realm, whereas the 'victims' or subjects of the ritual are relegated to the Outer Dark or to the Trap, where Sintra is said to dwell.

The objective of this ritual is often mysterious and open ended. Undertaken as much to see what happens as they ever try to infiltrate their subjects' lives. Often times, it's conducted against those who are high profile around the Island, in an effort to either recruit, corrupt, or just learn more about their thoughts through the dreamscape. But one thing that is usually the case is that if the Guardians of the Halls succeed, most often the subjects never remember being abducted, and awake safe in their beds.

The theoretical cosmology of individuals for this ritual is described below. Each of the planes of Sintra's realm are represented, as are the Original Beings they are associated with in Sintra's traditions.

Denizen of Outer Dark - The Reverie of Delana - Apex of Confusion - Subject
Denizen of The Trap - The Reverie of Brel’tek - Apex of Judgement - Subject
Guardian of Malice - The Reverie of Cierel - Apex of Malice - Webspinner
Guardian of Ambition - The Reverie of Ati’el - Apex of Ambition - Webspinner
Guardian of Ignorance - The Reverie of Fei - Apex of Ignorance - Webspinner
Guardian of Terror - The Reverie of Anox - Apex of Terror - Webspinner
Guardian of Grief - The Reverie of Luesco - Apex of Grief - Webspinner
Guardian of Passion - The Reverie of Pieren - Apex of Passion - Webspinner

Regional Specifics: N/A Most often conducted at the Shrine of the Arachnid in Scalvoris or in hidden areas around the island. The ritual is performed the same regardless of where.
word count: 473

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

[Vatra Anchoring (The Fire Anchor)

Developed by Elisabeth Angelus
Background: Being a volcanic island, there are many myths, legends and traditions that center on the mysterious Faldrass volcano. While many have been lost to time, there are some that have been found in books and known by older island residents. It is hoped that those stories and traditions will be reborn into new generations as Faldrass is re-inhabited.

Details:
In the Faldrass bride's wedding season, she must undertake a journey to the volcano's base. This journey is for two reasons - to leave an offering to Faldrass and collect a lava rock for use in the upcoming wedding ceremony.

Another must accompany the bride-to-be on her journey. The only requirement for that person is that they must be someone the bride trusts absolutely. Once the pair arrive at the volcano's base and a lava rock is chosen, it is placed in the attendant's care until the wedding ceremony. The bride is not allowed to touch the stone until the ceremony.

As for the offering, the bride will take a candle, stick it into the loamy, volcanic soil present at the base, and light it. The lighting of the candle symbolizes the light of the life together that the couple will begin on Faldrass.

The groom-to-be is responsible for collecting a leaf from the Teine tree. This tree, native to Faldrass, is found in many of the forests there but has been much more elusive since the eruption. Collecting the leaf can be done anytime before the wedding.

The couple will tie the Teine leaf around the lava rock during the wedding ceremony and leave the talisman behind at the spot where they take their vows. It is given as an offering to the land and nature while also symbolizing the grounded nature of the bride and groom's relationship. The lava rock represents the lifetime commitment they've made to one another, while the leaf cloaks this commitment in the blessings of Faldrass and its residents.

It is said that couples that observe this tradition are symbolically tied to Faldrass, as their talisman will always remain on the island - their anchor.

Regional Specifics: Observed on Faldrass
word count: 374

Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Information Repository”