[Darbyton] Cloth is Valuable to a Seamstress (Starter Quest)

Talisa puts in some hard work for some silk.

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Talisa Tawfeek
Approved Character
Race: Hyludin
Profession: Seamstress
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Cylus 1, Vhalar 717

It was not easy to travel as an Ithecal. Talisa knew this, as she had traveled all her life. From Rynmere to Quacia to Viden to Ne’haer, Talisa had been all over Idalos. She used to complain a lot as a child, because they could not afford the Ithecal trained mounts, and she easily tired from slithering through the sand, snow, and mud. Her mother would tell her, “Pray to Cassion that he may make your travels easy.” So, Talisa did. She prayed, and she prayed. It never seemed to get any easier, but it gave her comfort and taught her not to complain as much. It was something she still did, to this day. Much of the way from Rynmere to Scalvoris, her thoughts went to Cassion, gazing out at the open sea and praying for safe travels. “Cassion, immortal of travel, let this ship find safe winds to carry me to Scalvoris. Help me to reach my destination, swiftly and safely.”

It paid off. To Talisa’s great relief, after a long 52 days on a ship, Scalvoris’ harbor came into view. She could scarcely wait to get off the thing- it's wooden plank floors had been giving her splinters. Gathering her bags, Talisa’s head was high with pride as she slithered down a ramp, onto the port. However, it was then that she caught sight of a ship, heavily laden with cloths. She saw chiffon, cotton, rami, and… and silk!

With a mind to buy some of that before it hit market and had the prices jacked up, Talisa made a determined beeline- or, snake line, rather- for the ship. As she reached it, the sailors were working to unload the cloth. Waving a hand at them, Talisa gave a right smile, “Hey there! Excuse me, do you have a captain I can speak to? Or a… manager?” She sounded dumb and she knew it, but she kept smiling, hoping affection and kindness might sway them to pause in their work and listen to her.

OOC Note: For this quest, given to me upon CS completion:
Upon arrival to the city, you notice a ship arriving at the same time, heavily laden with bolts of cloth. Do you follow them, hoping to find a job? Or do you take matters into your own hands and approach the shippers directly?
word count: 399
Summer Rain
Avrae Kyric Asari Rosacea Olivia Warrick Talisa Tawfeek Teryani Shenandoah
CS CS CS CS CS
Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes Plot Notes
Templates Templates Templates Templates Templates
Partner Partner Partner Partner Partner
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

"Move it or lose it you good fer nothin' land lubbin son of a stoat!"

That was Talisa's introduction to Scalvoris. A woman with beautiful honey blonde hair wearing a hat and yelling to those who were bringing in the goods to Darbyton just... not quickly enough. Talisa had been shipped in a little inland on a wide river to the small village of Darbyton. It wasn't the usual stop for the first time visitor to Scalvoris but at the beginning of Cylus, needs must and all that.

If the sailors found it strange that she was praying to an Immortal other than U'frek, they said nothing. As she got off of her barge, she saw another one, this time being unloaded of goods. The enthusiastic Ithecal slithered towards them and got attention.

As she moved, the woman who she'd heard shouting stepped forward and looked at her. Startling blue eyes regarded Talisa and the woman smiled at her. "Hey, you," was the greeting which she got. "Don't be disturbing my workers. Name's Larksong an' I'm in charge round 'ere. What d'ya want?" The woman's expression was friendly enough but, as she waited for Talisa's answer she turned to the side and hawked up some phlegm which she then spat. "Quick time, love, we're busy."
word count: 226
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Talisa Tawfeek
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

It was true that U’frek would have been a good immortal to pray to. However, Talisa knew more about Cassion- and it was him she asked to guide her. Surely one immortal could provide just as much protection as another? Talisa wasn’t used to sailors. Even though she loved the water, she had certainly never met anyone quite like Larksong, or heard them speak in such away. But as the woman introduced herself as the one in charge, Talisa melted into a smile- which faded as the woman spat from the mouth.

Disgusting! Talisa couldn’t help but think, a little startled. People here certainly have different views on manners than in Andaris… She gave a small shudder, crossing her arms. Even with this strange, rushed, sailor woman, she knew that she wasn’t about to back down from asking about what she wanted.

“Ah… right. Pleasure to meet you, I’m Talisa Tawfeek. Well you see… I was wondering if those cloths you’re unloading are for sale, by chance. Perhaps at a reduced price since they’re not to market yet? I’ve got the coin on me. I was hoping to buy some cotton, and some rami.” Talisa finally said what it was she was interrupting their work for.

Yet, as her eyes drew back to the ship, she could see a worker unloading those bolts of lovely bolts of silk. Do I dare?... Why, yes I do. Turning her gaze back to Larksong, with a determined gaze, Talisa was certain she wouldn’t leave without at least one bolt.

“I’m a seamstress, Larksong. And that silk you have there- that’s beautiful. I reckon that six yards of that would go for… hmmm… one hundred and forty golden nells, give or take. Out of my price range- but I want it just as much. What can I do to convince you to part with it? Can I handle a job for you? Maybe work for you for the day, help unload? Or maybe I can make you something with the material? A nice outfit for a lovely lady?” Okay, so she sounded a little desperate. But the desire for that beautiful silk was far too much. Talisa had an image in mind- dye the silk a shade of burgundy and make it into a long nightgown, one that opened because it was wrapped and tied around the body, perfect for her own Ithecal self. With a long skirt and spaghetti straps… oh the image made her mouth water! It was the type of garment that a novice like Talisa could only dream to make.

Yet she asked too much, and she knew it. Trying to be humble, Talisa said, “Counting what I’ll pay for the cotton and the rami… I have fifteen gold nels to offer for that silk. That’s it. I’m new to Scalvoris, to Darbyton, and I spent all my money to get here. I… I’ll do anything you need, just for six yards of it.”

She sounded like she was pleading, gazing into Larksong’s eyes, her own filled with hope.
word count: 525
Summer Rain
CS CS CS CS CS
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Larksong looked at the Ithecal woman as her smile faded and she shuddered, then crossed her arms disapprovingly. The blonde haired woman looked at Talisa as she first asked about whether things she was unloading were for sale and then carried on to ask for some of the silk. She talked, and she talked a bit more and Larksong listened. The only indication that Larksong had any opinions on what was happening here was in the tilt of her head, the lift of her eyebrow and the way that her hand moved on to her hip.

When Talisa had finished speaking, Larksong sighed. "First off, if you want someone to feel like they might want to help you out, try not to shudder in disgust. Just a thought, might help a bit." The mixed blood blonde woman didn't seem upset, she wasn't, but she did adjust her hat to a slightly more jaunty angle before continuing.

"And I get that you're new here, so let me tell you how it works. This is my docks, and I've got a job to do. That job is to check that what arrives is what should be arriving and that what leaves is what should be leavin'. I don't do side jobs. That stuff belongs to someone already an' it ain't mine to sell. Obviously." Larksong was well known around here for being straight talking.

"What I can do is tell you where it's going. Best I can do I'm afraid. It's heading into ScalvTown, which is what we call Scalvoris Town or Scalvoris Proper. MOVE YER ASS YOU USELESS PILE'A DUNG!!" The last she yelled to one of the workers who had dropped something and wasn't moving quick enough for Larksong's tastes. "If yer lookin' for someone who sells cloth, love, Darbyton ain't yer place. We're loggers an' Rangers, workers each one. There's a seamstress here, maybe she's got something that she'll sell or trade ya for. But usually, that kind of stuff we get from Egilrun or Almund." She motioned to the cloth in question and shrugged. "The real good stuff tends to go to ScalvTown these trials. Jus' 'ow tis."

Larksong shrugged and looked at Talisa with a complete lack of guile in her expression. "So no, it's not fer sale, cos it's not mine to sell. If yer gonna live here, you'll need to work out what's what quick smart." Hands on her hips now, Larksong looked at Talisa and asked, not impolitely but with a very strong level of just plain blunt. "We done now? Or you got more questions?"
word count: 453

Talisa Tawfeek
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Talisa was… well, she tried but sometimes it was hard for her to not be painfully obvious about looking down on people. Dirty, unmannered sailors, for instance, made her skin crawl. Of course, being half a snake, she surely had the same effect on certain people. Being a mercenary’s daughter, she had grown up around dirty, bloody, crude men in crude armor, who had about as much tact and skillful etiquette as a Scalvoris mouse. To this day, she was still horrible at hiding her own disgust of such people, and as Larksong called her out on it, Talisa squirmed uncomfortably, a rosy blush rising to her cheeks.

“...My… apologies.” She managed to say, though she sounded less than sincere. Listening to Larsong, Talisa’s expression filled with shame. She had made the confusion that Larksong owned the ship, and therefore the items on the ship that was being unloaded to be sold- rather than being just the one moving it to the people who had sold it. It wasn’t a bad assumption to make, but Talisa had seldom been so clearly proven wrong, and she couldn’t have felt more stupid.

Jumping slightly, her tail tip smacking loudly into the wooden boardwalk, Talisa cringed as Larksong yelled at her worker. I would not want to work for this woman! Talisa thought, more than a little alarmed. However, she did appreciate the woman’s bluntness as she confessed that Darbyton was probably not the place for her. Talisa had thought as much, but she had also considered that, being workers, the people of Darbyton might often tear their clothes, or need new clothes made after old ones got grimy. There was simply more work here, in her opinion… or so she hoped.

Giving a nod and a disappointed breath, Talisa responded shakily, “I… I see. Thank you, m-ms. Larksong. I appreciate the direct answer.” Turning away, Talisa was just about to leave, but then she hesitated, and turned back, “Ah… I do have a question, actually. That cloth- is it going to a merchant, or the seamstress you spoke of? And… erm… a second question- do you mind pointing me in the direction of where I could find the seamstress?”
word count: 373
Summer Rain
CS CS CS CS CS
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Two more questions? Larksong sighed slightly but looked at Talisa expectantly. It wasn't like she was actually feeling particularly charitable to the Ithecal who'd looked disgusted at her then murmured a half-assed apology, but Larksong wasn't the kind of woman to be petty in that way.

"It's 'eading to ScalvTown, like I said. There it goes to the Merchants' Guild. They order centrally, save money for buying in bulk." Larksong shrugged. "Anyone what owns a business, they've gotta belong to the guild, it's one of the perks of it. So yeah. It's going there, that's all we know. From there, probably out to the various businesses, each one with their own order."

As for the seamstress here? Larksong nodded with a wry lift of her lips. "Yeah, her name's Franc. She's got a sort of shop in her house, she takes in stuff. Here, go down through there and then..." She gave directions to the place and then, with another hawking up of phlegm and a particularly throaty-sounding spit, possibly just for Talisa's benefit, Larksong was off.

Directions to the house were straightforward. It looked like most of the other houses in the street. Small, clean and nondescript. However, it had a small sign in the window "Seamstress" was all it said. The door was closed but, should she listen to such, from inside the house was the sound of rather raucous laughter.
word count: 246

Talisa Tawfeek
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Milestones

Miscellaneous

The Merchant’s Guild… Talisa couldn’t help but blush at Larksong’s freely given information. She had wanted to open a business of her own once she had the money- but the thing was, Talisa hadn’t known there was a Merchant’s Guild. How embarrassing would it have been, to try and open a business without knowing such a thing! Talisa felt terribly unprepared in the moment, making a mental note to learn more about this guild.

Even so, she paid close attention as Larksong spoke of the seamstress, giving an eager nod. “Franc… I see. Thank you!” The Ithecal called after Larksong as she moved away, managing not to look so disgusted this time around at the phlegm spit up.

With determination in her slither, Talisa went off in search of the local Seamstress. There had to be something she could do- some type of work- to get her hands on some good materials at a discount. Upon seeing the sign ‘Seamstress’ Talisa grinned, moving to the door.

She took a minute, fixing her hair, readjusting the skirt she wore over her waist and part of her tail, making sure she was ready to face someone she was eager to impress. In this moment, she heard a peculiar noise. Leaning closer to the door, it didn’t take but a moment to hear it again- laughter.

Talisa hesitated, unsure what she was walking (or rather, slithering) into. Would this seamstress be anything like Larksong? Would she view her as competition because Talisa was also a seamstress? Or perhaps this was simply a bad time and Talisa shouldn’t be bothering this woman?

It was too late to head back now, though. Taking a deep breath, Talisa gave a firm rap onto the door- not daring to just try and open it and walk in- and called out, “Hello? Excuse me, is this the residence of Franc the Seamstress?”

After a pause- a very short one, showing Talisa’s eagerness- the Ithecal began to knock again, rapping quickly on the door’s surface.
word count: 345
Summer Rain
CS CS CS CS CS
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

If Larksong had heard Talisa's farewell, she ignored it and got on with her work. However, she'd given the Ithecal the information she needed and so it was that Talisa found her way to Franc's. Where strange laughter bellowed out at all breaks of the trial, in truth. Franc saw the funny side of life, has to be said.

When she knocked the door, though, the laughter stopped and was immediately replaced with a friendly and welcoming-sounding (as much as one can judge by such things as a voice) "Come in!" The call belonged to a female voice and, should Talisa follow the instruction, she would find the door unlocked.

Opening the door led into a small but clean home. It was probably noticeable that the house lacked much in the way of personal details or anything which was sentimental in nature. There was, however, a lot of cloth and material some of which was very simple but some was very fine indeed, clothing and equipment in piles. The piles were neat and orderly, but there were a lot of them.

"Hello! I'm Franc!" The human woman smiled a wide smile. She was sitting on a chair in the living area with a large quilt over her lap, working on a rip in it. What had been causing her hilarity could only be one of two things, really; there was a book next to her which was open and so might have been the cause of her mirth. Or, alternatively, she was mad.

"I'm sorry, lovely, if you're bringing work. I'm up to my eyeballs if I was standing on the roof. You'd be quicker sending it to Scalvoris Town or Egilrun than coming to me. I've got all my usual and a wedding coming up and I'm making all the dresses for it. Busy, busy." Franc looked up and took stock of Talisa, almost as though noticing her for the first time. "Well, now, I don't know you. Are you new to Darbyton or to the island?" She gestured to the work on her lap. "Sorry I can't get up to greet you, by the way. What were you after?"
word count: 374

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Sorry to see you haven't posted....

Hi Hi!

Since this thread hasn't been posted to in a while, I'm unsubscribing from it. If you return, however, and want to pick it back up just drop me a pm. I'll be more than happy to either pick it up straight away, put it in my waiting list if I'm at capacity, or ask another mod. Either way, it'll be no problem but I might not notice if you just reply.

Thanks! Hope to see you posting here again!

All the best,

Peg

word count: 97

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”