Searching

Vega and Ti'Niva go in search of Vega's Sev'ryn family

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Dweeb
Renown: 1379
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Searching

85th Trial of Zi'da during Arc 716
Two trials ago, she had arrived in Desnind to try and find out about herself by virtue of finding out about half of her family; the Sev'ryn half. When she arrived, she met a man who had helped her and, over the past two trials Vega had found Ti'niva to be a genuinely nice fellow. He had welcomed her into his camp and she had done her best to be a help more than a hindrance. She could light a pretty good fire, had basic but nonetheless useful survival skills and was as willing to skin and gut animals as she was to kill a fish. She didn't seem squeamish about anything, in fact.

This trial, they were going to find out about the letter which she carried with her and Vega was not quite sure how she felt about it. If she was honest, she was nervous and excited, anxious and anticipating good things all in one. It was a strange mix that was for sure but she didn't mind. Before they left though, they were eating together and Vega looked over at Ti'niva with a curious lift of her brows. Her eyes, this trial, were a bright and vivid blue and she sat, finished her food and spoke to him.

"If you asked me, I would say I am Biqaj. We are sailors, explorers. Free. That is what my father told me, we are as free as the stars in the sky and the fish in the ocean. No cities, no walls. Wide open ocean and us. But I get terribly seasick." It was not a souce of amusement, that, to Vega, but a source of embarrassment. "My father never told me anything other than my mother did, too."

It was a source of frustration, for her, there was no doubt, her father's lack of communication regarding her mother. But it was what it was. "We have a tradition, at times where we sit and share food, we share stories. Each one, a story and that is how long the meal lasts. Would you like to share stories, Ti'niva?" It was a way of passing time, learning more about each other and filling silences so, to Vega, it made sense.

Plus, two stories was just enough time before they had to head into town and speak to the people he wanted to speak to about her Sev'ryn family and it would keep her mind busy, Vega thought.
word count: 440

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Profession: Hunter
Renown: 98
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Searching

Two sleepless nights had passed since he had met Vega and welcomed her to his small camp. Two nights riddled with he same recurring nightmares about the women he had killed in Oscillus , the regret was apparently not enough, it seemed that he had to be tortured every night as well. Yet he was not going to tell his new friend about the issue, it would only make the situation strange. He kept the nightmares to himself at the moment, although he knew that it was only a matter of time until he woke screaming like he had a few times on the boat. The dreams were something that had haunted him since he found his familiar, it appeared that while he had been focused on finding her the memories and the regret for the killing had been suppressed and forgotten. However, now he had no such important task distracting him the dreams seemed to be unstoppable. He was beginning to feel the effects of the sleepless nights as he grew more weary, maybe helping Vega would be what he needed to take his mind off it.

He ate the food with a deep hunger and desire for the energy it would provide him. He only paused when she began to speak, she appeared to be eating a little slower than himself and he realised he was following no kind of manners in his eating. She was talking about being Biqaj, the freedom of the ocean, freedom was something still dear to Ti'niva and he smiled at her natural wish to have it. Then she asked about stories, he did not have many stories, or not ones that he was inclined to tell. But he thought of when he had attacked the shadow beast. That was a story he could tell.

"That is nice tradition, elders here do same thing." He said comparing her tradition with there own a little. She wished to learn about the Sev'ryn ways after all, the elders and their stories were a large part of that. The stories they told taught the people about how they should live and what was good and just, these stories were often told around fires while the listeners ate.

"I have one, it of a fight with monster." He said looking up from his food with a gleam of excitement in his eyes. "But you tell first." He said almost teasing as he decided he wished to learn more about his companion. He knew so little about her and she slept only feet away from him, surely he should learn about her he seemed to trust her enough already. He stretched back and took another bite of his food. He wondered what she would tell him about, he knew little about the Biqaj and there stories. He did want to learn though and so he listened hoping she would tell a story first.
word count: 493
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Searching

Ti'niva looked tired, Vega thought and she watched him as he ate. "Is my being here bothering you? I don't mean to interrupt your sleep and if having another person in the camp does that, I can take myself away." Vega wasn't bothered one way or another, although she had to admit that she had been surprisingly content to share the camp with Ti'niva. Most people irritated her after a few breaks, but he was easy to live alongside. Mostly.

He had a story? Of a fight with a monster? Vega looked at him and grinned at him. "A monster? Oh, well mine had better be good then. I can't do monsters, I've never fought one. I can tell you about the time I saw a ghost?" Vega watched him, gauging his reaction and then spoke. "We were in the middle of the ocean, it was a quiet still night and the water was like glass. When it's like that, so open and vast you can feel like you're the only people in the world. Nothing else, no one else, just the ocean and the stars." She didn't even really see the camp as she spoke, the vision of the vast ocean was so clear to her. "It's beautiful and humbling and immense all at once."

She pulled herself back to the here and now and looked at him. "I was standing and looking at the sky. I was trying to count the stars. Its something I've done since I can remember, but I've never counted them all. One of the others came up behind me and put their hand on my shoulder. Asked me what I was doing and I said, I was counting stars." Vega smiled and shrugged, just slightly, aware it was a silly habit, but she enjoyed it. "It was a woman standing behind me and she told me that I couldn't count them all because their numbers change. She stroked my hair and I thought that was odd so I turned to look at who it was"

There was no joking to Vega's tone, she looked entirely serious. "There was no one there. I was alone on deck. Had been the whole time." She smiled at Ti'niva then and took a bit out of her food. "So, that's my ghost. I always thought that maybe it was my mother, but it was probably just my imagination. Your turn." She grinned "I'm looking forward to hearing a tale of daring."
word count: 438

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Searching

He listened intently, the story was so interesting and while listening Ti even felt himself being whisked away to the boat. How fascinating that, the idea of ghosts, lingering spirits that haunted the living of the world. He felt his mouth slightly agape as he realised how unaware eh was of his surroundings right then. She was speaking of a person how was there but then disappeared. The story of ghosts was one he had never heard before, he had never seen one and nor had anyone ever told him about them. But now Vega before him was telling him that she had heard and felt one. He wondered what it was like, how it made her feel. "How it make you feel?" He asked wondering what it was like to be touched and spoken top by something passed from their realm.

A tale of daring, she made it sound so heroic. Really it had been more a failure on his part, he had only managed to wound the creature really, having it die after it fled. He had ended up with more wounds in all honesty, wounds that no longer existed thanks to Moseke. He did still have one wound though, one from many arcs before the creature had gashed him, one that made him think of his late father. He quickly shook the thoughts of his father from his mind and prepared to tell the story of the shadow beast.

"It no that good." He said putting his story down before he had even begun. He honestly thought he could do it no justice with his broken common either. Yet, here he went. "I be hunting, searching for deer or anything eat. As I search something come at me from bush, it look like wold except eye are red and body black. I see evil in it." He said as he shuddered a little remembering the torment in the creatures eyes. "I know then it want kill me. So I take bow in hand and ready fight for life." He leaned forward as the excitement grew the story moving toward it climax.

"Then it charge I shoot. We fight for bits, me missing shots and it missing charge and swipe." He felt a strange twinge in his side as he thought of what came next. "Then we trade blow, I hit with arrow, bleeding the creature black blood. But creature catch me too gashing side and weak me making." He looked at her dead in the eyes, his face straight as he came towards the end. "He almost kill me but I hit again, I shoot more arrow into creature. I know not why run but does. It run away I collapse on floor in pool of my blood. I thought I die, but Moseke save me." He said nodding towards Vega. He realised he had been acting out the situation with his hands, as if she understood what his random gestures meant.

"Thank to her I here today." He admitted with an even broader smile at the thought of his creator. He let out a quick prayer thanking her for saving him and allowing him to live and serve her further.
word count: 541
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Searching

He didn't address the question she asked and that sort of answered it for her. Vega was very aware of the nuances of conversations and of how people spoke, or not, about what made them uncomfortable. She gave a grin, though, when he asked how it felt, a cheeky grin which hid every bit of feeling she had about her belief that her mother had seen here there that trial. How did it make her feel? "Kind of spooked, I suppose. It was probably just my imagination though. Easy to lose yourself in the night on the open waters and anything seems possible." Had it been her mother? Vega had no clue and it was probably just wishful thinking.

His story sounded much more daring and adventerous than hers, she thought and she listened carefully as he described the battle. What kind of creature bled black blood, she wondered? That sounded awful and like the tales of shadows taking shape which her father and the other Biqaj told. That always happened on the water, though, not on land. Moseke saved him? Vega looked at Ti'niva and tried to gauge if he meant literally or figuratively and she came to the conclusion that he meant the latter.

"Wild. She turn up here often?" Vega wondered, glancing around as though expecting to see the Immortal pop out. She gave a cheeky grin and started to clear away, since they had both finished their food. "So, these elders that you're taking me to? Anything I should know there?" Vega was keen to get underway and, as she had the last two mornings, packed up all her things before standing, waiting for him to head out.
word count: 292

Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Searching

"I only see once in forest." He said dipping his head with a hint of disappointment. Part of him wished to meet her again, to let her know he had survived the quest on which she had sent him. Although, part of him thought she probably already new, he had no doubt she knew of everything that went on in the Makubwa Lori. This was her forest, her people, everything around them was in some kind of debt to the Earth mother. She had been the one who saved them from the plague, as for him she had saved him from almost certain death at the hands of the shadow beast. "I think she here often, just not us need see." He shrugged as he reached and grabbed his own pack.

She seemed to like his story though and that made him happy, as he stood to leave with her also ready. She seemed to always carry everything with her, he wondered if that was what all travelers did or if she was just never sure if she could be around or not. He ignored his thoughts and instead decided to answer her question. The elder he was taking her to see was a basically blind old woman named, Istin'idur. She was a woman who was quite charming if you ignored her snappiness and also how prickly she could be. Generally though she was okay as long as you didn't mention her eyes or try to help her with something she was struggling with because of her sight.

"Yes, woman called Istin'idur, she near blind." He said telling Vega who they would be seeing, he was sure that she could tell them what she needed to know. The woman was old and wise, few could tell as much as she could. For a woman who could hardly see she knew and saw a lot. "She nice, no bad, just old and stubborn. No mention eyes you is okay." He said making sure Vega new not to mention the woman's eyesight, he didn't want to have to deal with the old woman being grumpy.

Ti began to lead the way, guiding Vega through the forest and back towards the city. It was relatively chilly and he was glad for his bear coat that helped to shield him from the cold late Zi'da air. Ti walked carefully through the forest, his feet as always barely leaving a trace in the ground. Many years of walking in the forest and tutelage from his father had allowed him to traverse a woodland scene without leaving much trace of his passing by. It had been difficult be he had eventually managed to get the hang of it. "You sleep well? I know it be cold out and I know want you freezing." He worried as he had not invited her to sleep in the small lean to with him, but if she had been cold he would have happily switched with her or let her join him if it wasn't too embarrassing for the two of them.
word count: 526
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Searching

"Istin'dur?" Vega asked, as much testing her pronounciation of the name as anything else. "Nearly blind, old and cantakerous. It means, cantankerous, it means that someone is old and stubborn and takes pleasure in being and difficult. Is she cantakerous?" He had said that he wanted to learn more common words and she tried to put some in here and there, to help him. But no mention eyes? Vega looked at him and motioned to her currently violet eyes. "Hers or mine?" It was an important point to clarify, just in case this elderly woman had a thing against Biqaj; there was a Biqaj innkeeper here, after all, maybe they had some history, or the cantakerous Istin'dur was actually the mother, or grandmother. Vega smiled as she realised that she was letting her imagination run wild, as was often the way with the story-telling nature of her people.

When he asked how she slept, though, Vega glanced at Ti'niva and her eyes darkened slightly as she smiled. "I slept better than you. You didn't answer me before, are you looking so tired because I'm here? I can leave if it would help you sleep better. Or we can sleep in there together, I don't mind either option. But I don't want to be why you don't sleep." Vega watched him with a calm gaze, her expression curious as to why he seemed to be tired. "We might get attacked by a bear and you are too tired to fight it. Then, I'd have to explain to everyone why you are dead and I am not and they would think that I had trained the bear." She gave a good natured smile, teasing him but asking him a serious question too.

She walked with him, whatever he said and she considered that it was probably only fair to point something out to him, in light of the conversation about sleeping arrangements. "Although, I glow in the dark. Not enough to make light, really, but I am Biqaj and my blood is silver. At night, you can see it." The longer she was here, and it was only a few trials now, but the longer it was the more Vega thought that she was more Biqaj than anything else, but then that morning when he had exited his small lean to, Vega was sitting, back straight and legs crossed together with her hands on her knees in a what looked for all of Idalos to be meditation. She smiled a sudden smile at him. "I thought I'd better mention that glowing thing. Just in case you're not aware that Biqaj have silver blood along with the eyes and ears."

Once they had organised that however they did, and she really didn't mind how, Vega focused on this cantakerous old woman and wondered just what it was she was going to say. "Is there anything I'm supposed to do? Can you teach me to say hello to her in your language, so it's at least polite, please?"
word count: 526

Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Searching

"Cant-ank-erous." He sounded the word out after she said it. It was a word he had never come across before, but her description made him pretty sure the word could be used to describe the elder. "Yes, she cantankerous." He said with a nod, he liked the word. When he spoke it is made him feel smarter, more educated, his common was getting better with everyday he spoke it. He decided it was true what they say, practice does make perfect. "Her eyes, no mention her eyes." Ti said clarifying what he had meant there, he knew that the woman was rather defensive about her eyes. They were in fact the most frustrating thing for the woman in her old age, they had been so important for her in her younger years. Ti thought maybe she was angry because she felt useless without them.

She had noticed how tired he looked, how the sleepless nights were draining him. Every night he was haunted by the recurring dreams of Oscillus, the place and the images would not leave him, and the guilt was overwhelming. He wondered if everyone suffered this way after taking a persons life, he could not imagine how people coped with it as a living. "It no you, I no sleep anymore, I close my eye I see..." He trailed off unable to finish his sentence. He barely new the girl could he tel her these things. But it appeared he did not have too explain further as she seemed to read his mind, she seemed to have no issues with sharing with him. "You no reason for me no sleep, I no sleep because of me." He said just to make clear that it wasn't Vega causing his insomnia and night terrors.

He was suddenly too intrigued by the idea of a glowing person to think about his nightmares. "You glow, you blood silver." He was amazed by the prospect, the idea of a person having blood that glistened like the metal coins he had seen in Ne'haer and her skin giving out faint light during the night. "That sound... bu-eaz." He said the common word for beautiful escaping him as he pictured someone glowing in the night.

"Oh yes, I forget teach you words." He said looking at her apologetically. "I teach you goodtrial and also thank you." He said smiling a little, teaching Xanthea made him think of Finn and when he had taught him all those years ago. "First Goodtrial, ibiti sarkin."He said the word slowly and clearly repeating it slightly faster after to show how it should sound normally. He gave a her a short while to practice and memorise the word before moving to the second. "ọfïïsï ke’u, thank you."He did the same as he had with the previous word.

When they were done with the words they were at the Itọju, the tunnel entrance ready for them to enter. He decided now to answer the final part of the question. "All you need do be respectful and patient. Elders no always quick they had lot to of memory to search." He said making sure the half Biqaj, half Sev'ryn new that respect was an important part of the Sev'ryn culture. Respect for ones elders and also for ones fellow person. They entered into the tunnel now soon to be within the city.
word count: 580
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Searching

Vega laughed, a deep and almost manly sound, at Ti'niva's pronounciation of the word cantakerous. "Close enough, I'd wager." It was the old woman's eyes not to be mentioned. Vega had thought so but thought it best to check, so she nodded her head and thought about it. "I'd hate to be blind. But then, I'd hate to be old. Maybe you get used to both of them." She smiled at Ti'niva as they walked. He wasn't sleeping because of dreams, then? That sounded not good and she looked at him with a vaguely sympathetic look on her face, "That sounds harsh. If you want to talk about it, you can. I can listen well, and I'll keep it quiet. But you don't need to if you don't want to either. All good." Sleep was important, eventually his body would take over, she knew. In the meantime, though.

"Have you ever tried meditating? I get a lot of rest that way, or maybe energy rather than rest. But it might help calm your mind?" Vega shrugged, considering that she'd been pushy enough and left it there. He was far too entranced with the idea of her glowing for him to be worried about dreams or nightmares right now, anyhow. She chuckled and nodded, "all Biqaj have silver blood. Look, you can see it almost, here." She held out her hand, palm upwards so that he could look at her wrist, where the blood flow could be seen. In a spot where the trees provided cover of darkness, he was just able to make out the colour being, at the very least, very different. When it was darker, the silver was evident.

She suspected it was about to be revenge for her laughter, though as he gave her a word. "Ib.. Ibiti sorken? No, that's not right. Ibiti sarken. Ibiti sarken...." Vega looked at Ti'niva with a raised eyebrow as she said the words. Copying what he said and listening to the pronounciation carefully, she copied him again and again. Then, the next one gave her more trouble and she needed him to repeat it a few times before she got it even close to right. "So, thank you is ọfïïsï ke’u and good trial is ibiti sarken. I can do that. Thank you, Tin'niva. You've been very kind and I appreciate it." Slow and patient? That wasn't really the Biqaj way, in truth, although it also very much was. But either way, Vega was more than willing to go with the flow on this and she followed him through the tunnel into the city continuing to practice the two expressions.

When they got to where they were going, Vega looked at Ti'niva questioningly. When she spoke, she sounded nervous but she was determined to do this. "I wonder if not knowing stuff is better. Alright. Lead on then, my friend. Lets find out who I am. Or who I could have been."
word count: 519

Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Searching

As a Sev'ryn he had meditated since eh was a child, he was, in fact, very good at it. The only issue was, his method of mediation never really helped him to resolve his issues. Yes, it did calm him and yes it did help him sometimes with discovering new things. He had discovered a lot about himself through the mode of meditation. Yet, the fact that he emptied his mind and mostly shut out thought meant he did not contemplate. Instead he only listened, heard what the world around him had to say and emptied his mind for a short time giving his body relief. He would try meditation if he believed it would help, but what he really needed was to somehow truly justify the killing that had taken place in Oscillus.

A grin crossed his face in response to here failed pronunciation of the words. He couldn't help but feel a twinge of happiness at her failure, only because she had laughed at him just moments before. He smiled at her comfortingly as they reached the other end of the tunnel. "You do it, yes, you speak little my word now." He was happy to have helped her and her gratitude made it all the more worth while. He was not the greatest teacher that he knew, but he was always willing to try for someone who was patient enough to deal with his primitive style.

The question was that he did not believe he could answer, one of those questions people ask when they hope to persuade themselves not to go through with something. Ti instead glossed over it with a smile as he knocked on the door of the elder, Istin'dur's, home. "It will be fine no need worry, I am sure only good come from this." The door opened and a rather sullen looking old women opened the door. The woman seemed to be looking at them but her eyes barely traced any movement the two of them made.

She blurted some words out at them in Xanthean. "Who are you, what do you want? Speak." She commanded and Ti responded as she had asked. "It is me Ti'niva and the adventurer Vega. We are here because Vega has questions about her aunt." The Xanthea was quick and would have seemed strange to a speaker of the common tongue. "And she only speak common tongue." He added switching himself to the language. The woman smiled a little, she had not seen the now man since he was a boy. He was sure she barely truly remembered him but she seemed to know something about him because his name seemed to spark some kind of light in her old worn eyes.

However, as she ushered the two of them in wordlessly, he decided not to ask now. He was here for Vega, not himself, he did still make a small note in his mind to return and talk to her. The woman lead them to a small table and sat herself down, taking up a small apple and taking a bite. She spoke her mouth still full as Ti stayed standing next to the table gesturing for Vega to take the spare seat. "Speak girl, what you need know?" The woman was straight to the point, and quick. But that was only for now, she would soon have to think hard about the information that was in the recesses of her old mind.
word count: 590
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”