Linguistic/language learning question(s)

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Sintih
Race: Yludih
Profession: Student
Renown: 110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

I recently spent some points in the linguistics skill but I'm confused by the explanation written in the language list on how to learn/improve languages. For some reason, when I read it I feel like this system is outdated and is waiting for an update (much like what is happening to the domain magics at the moment). Or maybe I just don't understand it. It feels very much like the linguistic skill should work exactly the same as the combat skill but then there is that separate skill per language part that I can't seem to grasp.

Anyway, so Sintih has lived every night of the past 9 (almost 10) arcs in Uleuda speaking Ulehi with everyone and taking Ulehi classes like every other Yludih arriving there (I assume). With the character creation being as it is, Sintih is stuck with a broken skill in the language. Now, Linguistics allows me to add some levels to certain languages but it is restricted by the difficulty of the language. Considering that Sintih has spent so much time with the language (in his backstory) can I use these linguistic benefits to rank up his language to fluent instead of choosing two new broken languages (that haven't been mentioned in his backstory or in any of his current threads).

In the language list in the explanation of learning new languages it says you need to spend points to improve a language (when not using linguistics to do so) does this mean every language is considered to be another skill? If I have the required knowledge to level a hard language up to Fluent and I already have it at broken (through linguistics or character creation) do I need to invest only the 15 point difference between the 40 points from broken to the 55 points for Fluent or do I need to spend the total sum of 105 points to get it to conversational first (50) and then to fluent (55)?

Does knowledge in a specific language count towards knowledge for the linguistic skill or does linguistics need specific knowledge? If it's the second one, do I need to request specific linguistic skills if I ever have a language thread graded on top of the language specific ones?

It's confusing so I hope the questions are clear enough.
Kind regards
word count: 394
Lei'lira
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Farmer
Renown: 267
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

As I understand it, and I could be wrong about this, all PCs are allowed to start out with two languages of their choice, one fluent, and one broken. Using Lei'lira as an example, she started out fluent in Xanthea, with Common as her broken language. Languages are treated like skills, so by obtaining knowledges in the language you wish to upgrade, and investing skill points into it, you can increase your skill with any language you know.

The language chart tells you how difficult a language is to learn. And the info on learning languages tells you how to go about doing so. Again, using Lei'lira as an example, I decided to bring her Common up to conversational level. Common is an easy language, so I needed three knowledges about Common (the one required to buy the broken level of an easy language, and two more to bring it up to conversational level). In addition to that, I needed to spend 30 skill points. If I want to bring Lei'lira's Common up to fluent in the future, I will need to gain 3 more knowledges about the language, and spend 35 more skill points in the language. Upgrading medium and hard languages requires more knowledges, and more skill points to be invested at each level.

Linguistics comes in to determine the number of languages a PC is capable of learning. Someone without any points in linguistics is allowed to know two languages. At novice level linguistics, you are allowed to know a maximum of four languages. You are also allowed to choose two easy languages you don't currently know, and buy them at broken level without spending any skill points, or earning any knowledges to get them. But once you have them, you then mush earn knoweldges and invest skill points in them if you want to upgrade them to a higher level. Higher levels of linguistics give you a larger number of languages for your maximum total, and give you more options of what languages you want to learn.

In your case, you would need to be competent in linguistics because one of the options at that level is to take a language you have at broken level already, and upgrade it to conversational for free. Or, you could earn the 7/12 knowledges you would need to upgrade a hard language to conversational/fluent. But since you already have it as a broken language, I believe you would only need to invest 50 skill points to bring it up to conversational, or 105 to bring it up to fluent. And yes; when submitting a thread for review, you would request knowledges for the specific language you are practicing. I hope this helps. :)
word count: 460
Golem
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Events

Yep!

That's exactly it.

Unfortunately some languages are harder to learn, which costs you a lot more Skill points.
word count: 20
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”