• PM To Join • Self Testing

What could go wrong?

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: 278
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Self Testing

55th of Zi'da, Arc 716
Alex knocked on the door hesitantly. Something about it seemed familiar, but she counldn't put her finger on what it was.

She had followed Rey'na back to her house when they had first met, picking up supplies along the way. But when they had passed by a group of soldiers talking about a group of squatters in a merchant's house in Midtown, Alex knew who they were talking about. She didn't remember what excuse she had given, but she had taken off like a bat out of hell.

Alex had spent the morning traveling from shop to shop, subtly inquiring about different chemicals, reagents, and poisons. It was hard work finding a poison, which was slightly illegal to begin with, that applied to Yludih, who were significantly more illegal. At last she had found a long list of supplies that might be useful.

Five ounces of Barkskin, three doses of Iffloil Petals, and as much Claytona Monticola as she could get her hands on. That was going to be the important part, and of course that had been the part that had taken the longest. Most people only sold the berries, but by pestering the shop owner and sliding a few extra nel across the counter, they had begrudgingly parted with their plants. 100 Nel for five plants was an exorbitant price, but it was worth it if she could deal with her father- the fight with Fridgar had shown her how useful that would be.

Alex sighed and knocked on the door again, harder this time. Behind it she thought she heard a muffled curse and some banging around, but she wasn't sure.

"Rey'na?" She called out, and got ready to push the door open when it flew back, apparently of its own accord, leaving Alex staring up at the face of Fridgar.
word count: 323
Varthakh
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Jeger
Renown: 580
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Self Testing

Fridgar grunted once more as his knuckles met the bark of the freezing tree. He reeled back the punch to his defence, remembering to keep his guard up between swings. Once more, he threw a left jab, then another jab then a right cross into the body of the tree. This method of conditioning was certainly working, he'd made some progress in the past few trials and was slowly eased into putting more of his strength into his blows on more solid objects. He was now able to exert a lot, if not all his force on the solid chunk of wood that stood in front of him with little to no pain.

Despite not wearing a shirt or coat, he sweat profusely. Tackling training in this weather while barely dressed encouraged him to take less breaks as to keep warm. He growled as the skin on his knuckles whitened with scratches, they'd be calluses before Cylus if he kept up this training. Leaning forward, he set into overdrive - one last push to finish off his training session. He slammed punch after punch into the rough, frozen bark, disregarding the pain and fatigue completely, he set at it with sheer will of mind, and the aid of his harnessed adrenaline of course. His low growl built into a fierce roar as he mercilessly pummelled the tree, picturing the bastard old man that had beat him trials prior.

He slammed one final punch into the body of the tree, breathing heavily and sweating even more than he had been previously. While hanging his head, he raised a hand to his brow and wiped away the sweat, the salt reacted with his knuckles - leaving a horrible stinging pain in its wake. Curious, he inspected the base of his fingers, with a sigh, his suspicions were confirmed - He was bleeding. He looked up, letting the sweat run down his forehead as he faced the tree. Tiny red marks coated the area he'd been punching, perhaps he'd taken it too far? The cold started to creep in as he remained still, he stood up completely, turned back for Rey'na's house and made his way there, stretching off as he walked.

Cooling off was easy enough in the snow, maintaining a not-unpleasant odour would be the tricky part with his diet and physical activity. He brushed off the pieces of wood from his hands as he finished stretching on the move, starting to shiver as Rey'na's house came into view. He let himself in, shaking the flakes of snow and ice from his beard and mane of hair "Rey? I'm home!" He called out, tiring slightly from his intense break of training. He reached into his large bag where he'd left his first aid kit and took the vial of sterilising alcohol, a brilliant investment on his part. He poured enough of it onto a plate to cover the surface and resealed the vial with the supplied cork and put it back in his bag, readying his bandages beside the plate. Hesitantly, he cast his knuckles into the alcohol, holding back a yelp of pain as the stinging pain in his bloodied hands only grew worse. Wisps of red filled the liquid as the pain faded, sterilisation of the wounds complete.

Sighing with relief, he took his hands from the alcohol and grabbed the bandages, quickly wrapping up his hands tightly past his wrists, all for the sake that his roommate wouldn't ask what he'd been doing. Finally, he took one of the large towels from the bottom of his bag carefully, as to not break any of the equipment that rested atop them, and dried himself off any of the sweat that clung to his skin. He threw his shirt back on and kicked his boots from his feet as he walked to the table and took a chair, relaxing finally with his aching hands throbbing beneath the white fabric. He rested his head on the table, just about ready to fall asleep after a long workout in the snow.

That is until a soft knock roused him, he looked about confused for a moment before the knock sounded louder from the front door. "I'll get it!" He called out, jumping to his feet full of energy and rushing ahead, only to trip on one of his boots and fall face first onto the floor. "Ah! Shit!" he called out, grabbing hold of his nose just to make sure it hadn't shifted - once satisfied that it hadn't, he got back up and lumbered quickly to the door. The house seemed to quake with each step he took. He swung it open to be pleasantly to surprised with Valyeria's presence "Oh, hi there, Val!" He spoke casually, scratching his beard for a tril as his brain slowly fired up it's systems. His expression shifted from the pleasantly surprised look he previously wore to fear as he gasped suddenly and slammed the door shut, pressing his back against it, terror in his eyes.

'They fucking found me.' he pondered as his heart raced 'Of course they did! you told them where you live remember!' His palm collided with his forehead, duh. Considering an appropriate course of action, he stood back up from the door, opened it quickly gripped Val by the scruff of her shirt and yanked her in without warning, slamming the door behind her - he now had a hostage. "Where is he?" he asked, a dead serious look in his eyes. "That Warren prick, I want a rematch!" he roared, ferocity building as he maintained his grip on Val.

Recognition flashed in his eyes for a moment, Val wasn't the enemy - she'd helped him when Warren attacked, what was he doing? He let her go and straightened up, looking to the left with guilt and embarrassment. "Uhh, sorry Val. I uhh... Got a little carried away..." he confessed, reaching back and rubbing behind his head. "Can I get you something to drink?" He offered, ignoring his outburst completely.
OOC Note:
Deducted 22gn 3sn from ledger for:

Large Towels (2): 3sn
First Aid Kit: 22gn
word count: 1047
Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure.
-- Bertrand Russell
Rey'na
Profession: Judge, Jury and Executioner
Renown: 54
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Self Testing

Hearing Fridgar come home made Rey smile, her dagger in hand. She'd been using it like a mirror while sat on her bed. . She really should invest in a mirror, she thought. Her eyes then fell to the violin by the side of her bed. Her smile faded a little. She hadn't learnt it yet, and she swore she would for Denebah. She'd just been so wrapped up in it all. The fight at the graveyard, fighting an Aukari - and Masque. She had so m any big goals that it seemed like the violin was becoming less and less important by the day.
"Welcome back" she replied, her voice showing the same lack of emotion that it normally did. By now, most people knew it wasn't sadness or any kind of blank feeling - it was just the fact she felt nothing at that moment. She had emotions, everyone did no matter how hard they hid them, she just didn't always use them.

When Rey heard what sounded like the door, she stood herself up off the bed. Following the knock, however, was a call and a crash. Rey knew Fridgar had probably just fallen, but her heart froze for a trill. After a few more trills passed, she heard Fridgar answer the door. At least he was ok, she could carry on relaxing. She sat back down.
Her relaxation didn't seem to be possible today, however, as Fridgar was seemingly shouting at someone - something about a rematch? Rey sighed, grabbing her dagger, ready to have to clean up a mess she didn't want to make. For Fridgar, however, it was worth it. She walked out of her room and surprise filled her eyes.

"Alex?..." Rey asked, surprised. Her eyes then fell to a glare at Fridgar, passing between the two. "Care to explain what in mothers name I just heard?" Rey said sharply to Fridgar. Had he been threatening her friend? Or perhaps she'd threatened him - she couldn't jump to conclusions.
After a few trills, Rey realized what this meant. Fridgar was here while Alex was, and Alex knew exactly what Rey'na did. She cleared her throat, thinking of a way around this predicament. Did she lie, get him out of the house? Or did she explain? How much longer could she actually lie to the person living with her, how much longer until he found the Masque outfit and questioned her? She let out a small sigh and looked up to Fridgar.

"Firstly, I want you to meet Alex. Alex, this is Fridgar - he's a friend" she explained. Then she looked back to the Lotharro. "Secondly, Fridgar. You're about to see a side of me you didn't know I have. We can discuss it properly later, but for now I need you to just trust me."
She looked back to Alex. "What can I help you with?"
word count: 491
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Self Testing

Fridgar seemed unsurprised to see her, but Alex was confused. What, by all the Immortals, was Fridgar doing here? At Rey'na's house? He seemed to realize it too, and slammed the door shut on her face.

As she looked around, realization dawned on her.

They lived together. This was where she had brought Fridgar, broken and battered, and this was where she had dropped off the note explaining his disappearance. Before Alex had a chance to think about anything else the door shot back open and she was yanked inside.

"I-who?"

Alex was beyond confused.

"Warren? By Aelig's balls, how would I know?" She yelled back, pushing herself into his fist. "In case you forgot, I threw a vat of acid on him and dragged your broken ass out of there when he tried to kill you. Hardly an appropriate father-daughter relationship. Now let go of me!" Her voice dripped acid and menace, and she had drawn her dagger, holding it low at her side. She didn't know if it would even help against Frid- it might just anger him, like a bee sting to a bear, but she was willing to try.

Her words seemed to get his attention and he shifted stances, suddenly far less threatening.

"Yeah...Just a little," she grumbled, though there was no feeling in it. If she were in his place she likely would've reacted similarly. Who knew how much he actually remembered from that fight and the escape? "Just water would be great, thanks."

Carefully, she resheathed her blade, looking up as Rey'na appeared in the doorway. "Rey'na! I... well don't worry about it. Just a misunderstanding." She shot a look at Fridgar- she didn't feel like tattling on him and hopefully he would get the message.

Alex smirked as Rey'na introduced her- her name was something she hadn't considered, though how she was supposed to know that the two lived together was beyond her. Alex it was.

"We've met before- my father hired him to help us out a while ago. You remember that note, the couple of trials that Frid was gone? That was us. And..." She paused here for a moment. "And you remember when he showed back up, in more pieces than a puzzle? That was also us."

That out of the way, Alex held up the bag of supplies, somehow still together, and gestured to it. "Well, you remember when I said that I wanted to teach you a few things? Well... I need your help."

"My father and I ended on...well not so great terms, but I need a way to neutralize him. Ideally something nonlethal, but I've got a few ideas. I figure you can give me a hand and test them on me- it's far harder to accurately record the symptoms when I'm writhing in pain or nearly dead." She gave a mirthless chuckle, and looked to Rey'na. "So, feel like experimenting?"
word count: 513
Varthakh
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Self Testing

"Yeah, I thought you were the one that saved my ass..." he confessed, reddening at the cheeks a little. "It might seem like an excuse, but I really can't remember much after pinning him to the wall. Sorry, Val." He spoke with a low growl as shame tried to creep up on him, unable to meet her eyes. "You've got it, bo-" he paused, then corrected himself "-Val". Rey'na entered the room, looking rather unimpressed "Oh, Rey! I can explain-" he paused with his mouth open, he'd just in time thought of whether it was wise to flap his gums.

'-Explain what? That you helped her kidnap three women and experiment on them? Dude you've gotta lie!' He maintained eye contact with Rey'na before closing his mouth, Val then passed it off as a misunderstanding. He exhaled with relief, without another word he walked to the jug of water on the table. 'What the hell, man!? Way to look suspicious!' He smirked as he poured the water "Psh, Alex? Uhh, I think she gave you the wrong name, Rey - her name is Valyeria." he spoke with confidence, failing to realise that Rey already knew Val. He picked up the filled glass and thought for a moment - He put the glass back down and poured another before picking up the two glasses and giving them to Val then Rey. He stood at Rey's side as Val gave a little back story.

Val sure was good at lying but not lying. She left out the bad parts when she explained how she'd met Fridgar. He jolted suddenly "Oh, you two already know each other!" looking between the two with glee, then confusion, then with caution. How did the two know each other? Val was... shifty... And Rey so innocent that she adored puppies? Something wasn't right and he'd picked up on it prior to Rey'na speaking. 'A side of her you didn't know she had. Now if that weren't spooky, I don't know what is.' He nodded affirmatively, "I trust you." he spoke solemnly, maintaining eye contact.

He stepped back and let the smart people do the talking, picking up on a few words as he listened with intent. Val wanted to teach Rey some stuff? Okay, maybe it was shape shifting? Though her bag of gear gave him a different impression. His lips curled into a snarl at the mention of her father, he still needed to beat the prick senseless for what he pulled 20 trials ago. For now, he still needed to recover and train harder. He watched the two go about their business, maybe he'd learn a thing or two about beating warren from this?
► Show Spoiler
word count: 479
Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure.
-- Bertrand Russell
Rey'na
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Self Testing

Rey looked between the two as both explained. It made a little sense, admittedly, but she didn't like it. Fridgar had clearly done something, and Alex seemed a little unimpressed by it. But Rey decided she would leave it alone. If Alex wouldn't tell her immediately, Rey wouldn't ask.
Rey nodded back to Fridgar when he announced his trust for her, then looked to Alex. "Experiment? Sounds like a plan, and I'm guessing that bag has all we need to experiment with?" she asked. She rarely spoke informally, but when it came to poison she would. It became a game, a hobby for her. She enjoyed it like others enjoyed music. Although people normally saw it as strange, generally, there were also people who took enjoyment from fighting with swords - and that was normal.

Rey then realized what she had said. She was going to poison herself to test on her father? She was determined, that much was true. Rey looked to her and nodded. She then looked to Fridgar. "While we make the poison and test it, you'll need to write a few things out for me, if you can?" she requested, back to being polite. "Just...listen to what we say, then write it down. Excluding any cries of pain."
Rey looked in the bag, seeing the ingredients. Barkskin, that one she recognized from their last encounter in the tavern. The rest she didn't recognize, however. She trusted Alex to know what it was, and perhaps could learn a thing or two while she was here. Her eyes then looked to Alex, almost comforting.
"Is...poisoning yourself really necessary? I know you need to do this, but why not on me? Or an animal or something of the sort?" she asked curiously. She shook her head. "Not that I'm doubting you, just...concerned about you."

She then looked to the bag and back to Alex. "But if you're sure...let's get started."
word count: 333
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Self Testing

Alex snorted- it was hard to explain why she couldn't use a test subject. It was far easier to show.

With a sigh, Alex breathed deeply and shifted. Her shoulders hunched, her hands growing old and gnarled. The liver-spotted, wrinkly skin replaced the younger, flawless skin. Alex shot the pair a smirk before shifting seamlessly back. Fridgar, and probably Rey'na, would notice the speed and lack of pain that she endured. She obviously wasn't a Becomer.

"So, now that we've got that out of the way, shall we move on?"

Alex walked over to the table, dumping out the supplies. There were four small plants and one larger one, all potted.

"Do you have a kit with stuff? You know, beakers, flasks, that kind of stuff."

When Rey shook her head in the negative, Alex sighed and nodded. “I had assumed as much. I brought some stuff with me- I had never really realized how expensive it is.”

Alex gestured towards the supplies, beginning to explain. "I know of almost no medications or drugs that work on us. It has something to do with how we work, on the inside," she shrugged, unsure. She assumed Fridgar, or at least Rey, would realize what she was without needing it spelled out.

"Claytona, this stuff here, seems to work the most reliably. Something to do with the crystal structure of the plant. Regardless, this stuff binds the crystals together and typically provides healing. I'm going to try and make something that binds them together and prevents movement. I know its possible, but I have no idea how to..." she trailed off.

"Any ideas?" She asked Rey'na. "I've got a few, so we can try those first."

She pulled a small handful of leaves off the first plant and handed them to Rey'na. "Do you know how to make an extract?"

Meanwhile, Alex cut open several leaves, draining out the clear juice into a small beaker before throwing the remains into a mortar and pestle. She ground it up, a thick green paste forming, which she spread half of on a small metal tray.

“Fridgar, do you have a fire going somewhere around here?” She asked. “If not, could you get one going? I need this stuff dried up

She took the other half and set it an alembic. This was carefully set over a burner- she remembered all too well what had happened the last time she used an old one, and had purchased all of these supplies new. Within bits the liquid was bubbling and something odd happened.

The bubbling liquid released a gas, which collected in the smaller container, as per usual. However, the main container began to create a precipitate, a clear, random crystal shape. It rolled in the small pool of liquid, its odd shape appearing briefly above the surface before dipping back under as the boiling caused the liquid to roll.

“How’s that coming Rey? I think I might have found the right way to do it, but I’m not sure yet.”

She turned her attention away from the alembic to focus back on the woman.

“Basically I’m looking for a way to isolate and extract the part of the Claytona that is responsible for binding crystals together. If I can make that dense enough, it should be able to cause temporary paralysis of us Yludih. The Iffloil petals are to speed up the reaction, though I’m not sure what the best method of application is either- on the skin, inhalation or ingestion. We’ve got lots to test. Ideally, I’d like to find an antidote for this as well, in case something goes wrong. But I’m not sure.” Alex spoke freely, surprisingly verbose considering how little she knew Rey, but this was about her work, not socially, so she viewed it differently.

She turned to Fridgar. “You might want to write that down- I’m assuming that Rey wants to keep track of what she learns today.” There was little chance of Rey getting to use it on Alex, since they lived in different cities, and Alex was planning on learning more faces.

“So, how’s yours coming?”
word count: 714
Varthakh
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Self Testing

He'd intended to listen to the two talk and perhaps learn something, but when they’d started using big words, he couldn't help but slip into a daydream. When Rey addressed him, he looked to her and inhaled, regaining his focus. All too late, she'd already said her part - what did she say? Oh no. Déja vu struck, this had happened before with Valyeria when she'd been asking him to do things to the prisoners and he hadn't been paying attention. Thankfully, she clarified upon seeing the lost look on his face "Totally, no problem at all." he spoke with certainty. 'WHAT? She wants you to WRITE?' He asked himself, understanding that the results of whatever experiment they had planned were already lost.

With a shrug, he took a seat at the table and opened the Journal that sat there. Rey had already written quite a lot of science stuff that he didn't understand, so, he promptly skipped those pages until he found a blank page. He went to work, copying a transcript of their conversation. Val then shapeshifted into the old woman again - but he hadn't seen her use a totem, just like last time. He wrote *Val shapeshifts* in the transcript as he pondered how she'd been able to do that. Eric had told him of a race of rock-people that had been able to shapeshift, but not as good as a Becomer could - he spoke of them unfondly. It would explain how he'd hurt his knuckles so bad on warren's head a dozen trials ago - the bastard was made of rock. He put the quill back to the paper and wrote out as they spoke.

Awoken suddenly from his daydream, Val had said his name. She wanted a fire going? No problem. "No problem." he spoke with his thoughts, standing up and walking over to the hearth and lighting it with the contents of his tinderbox. Once satisfied with the size of the fire, he walked back over to the Journal and looked to the page in horror. Acting natural, he looked to the pot of ink and knocked it over deliberately onto the page he'd been writing on before setting it upright once more. "Crap! Oh dear, I'm such a cluts!" He called out, smudging the ink deeper into the page with his sleeve and erasing dozens of the word 'Rey'na' along with plenty of hearts from existence. He ripped the page from the book and threw it to the hearth. "Sorry guys, I'll try writing up what I remember." which was nothing at all, he'd only managed to write up to 'Do you have a kit with stuff?' before going comatose apparently.

He'd have to try and make up for it with lots of details in the present, he wrote down the actions of the two and the reactions of the liquid. From the gear she'd been using in the form of a description to the reactions of the gas that had released from the liquid. Following suit, he wrote up on Rey'na's extract too, writing in as much information as possible. He was doing good, he hadn't fallen asleep yet - by the immortals, this was a new level of attention span for the Lothar, on a roll he continued to write.

He awoke at the mention of 'Rey' in Val's voice, lifting his head from the journal and yawning. What had happened? he looked to the page, he hadn't painted the page with Rey'na's name this time, but had wrote 'Basically' followed by a line that lead to the quill in his hand, had he passed out? No way. Just as he'd hit new levels of paying attention, Val had hit new levels of boring, boring enough to put him to sleep with mere words. "Sure thing, Val." He affirmed, looking to the journal in a haze before falling alseep again.
word count: 681
-- Bertrand Russell
Rey'na
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Self Testing

"Denebah..." Rey said, watching Alex transform. She was Yludih too? Or an illusionist, maybe? Did those even exist? Rey's eyes were wide, holding back a volley of emotion. She couldn't be the same as him, could she? The thought of it made her bitter. Maybe Alex knew where Denebah had gone? But why did Rey still care? She felt the egg in her head start twisting. 'No need' she thought to herself and the egg. 'He's gone, and not coming back.'
Rey moved over to the items on the table and listened as Alex explained them all, erasing Denebah from her head. "Crystals, that makes sense" she replied. She knew a little of Yludih, but this confirmed that she was one. She only knew what Denebah had taught her. When asked for ideas, Rey paused for a moment. "If it allows access to the crystals, could we in theory combine it with any kind of poison to make the effects crossover? Joins the crystals together, yes, but put something dangerous into the mix?"

"An extract?" Rey asked. She felt bad, she'd mostly bought all of her poison - never made it. Perhaps she wasn't the best to be helping with this. Then again, it was her or Fridgar, and with all respect to him he had less chance than she did. However, what respect she had for herself was about to fade. She was working solo.
Rey copied what Alex did, draining as much of the juice as she could. She made a little mess on her hands, but she ignored it. She then put the leaves in the mortar before Alex ground them up to paste. She then looked at what she assumed was the extract, curiously - what could she do with it? She had no idea what to make of it, and where to start. This whole process was new to her, and that worried her. She saw what happened last time someone inexperienced had played with poison - and he hadn't lived to tell the tale. Lucky her.

"It's...not going" Rey confessed, realizing she had been staring at the same liquid for near enough to a Bit. "But you know better than me, if you think you're on to something then I have no doubt you are" she admitted, smiling. But she did have to ponder, how could they make an antidote without a high risk? Surely to see if the antidote worked they'd need to poison Alex, and that meant that if it didn't work then they could be in trouble.
"Let's not forget a weapon smear, if it ends up working through the extract, though that might not work out so well" she considered. "As for an antidote, do we have supplies for that? I suppose we could take the part of the plant that heals crystals and use that, surely, to prevent the poison from taking hold?"

Rey wondered how to answer how hers was going for a few trills, until turning to Fridgar. "Write something for me" she ordered. "Extract of the...Claytona" she remembered. "Perhaps mixed with the...binding agent..."
Her eyes darted to Alex. "Binding agent, that one you had before. Uh, what was it - barkskin? Surely a binding agent, with enough mass and mixed with something crystalline, could trigger the paralysis?" she asked excited. She felt smart, even if she wasn't entirely. "Paralysis is also a lot easier to undo than death, that's for sure. But we could test it, right? An antidote for that won't be too hard to come by either, just use the basic healing abilities for the crystals to hopefully free the movement."
word count: 620
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Self Testing

Frid was weird. Alex narrowed her eyes at him as he cursed dramatically- something told her he had spilled the ink on purpose, though why she couldn't imagine. He seemed to...smear the ink across the page, totally obscuring whatever notes he had managed to keep for Rey. Whatever, it wasn't for her.

Alex responded to Rey without looking at her. "No, most poisons work around internal organs and their failure. They don't work on Yludih. Similarly, diseases don't impact us at all. Something like Stain targets the nervous system of a normal humanoid. Yludih don't have a spinal column like most of you, so Stain doesn't do anything."

As she finished speaking she looked over to Rey, realizing somewhat belatedly that she hadn't explained the extract very well when she saw the woman staring at the mortar blankly. The fact that the woman didn't own any tools should have been a giveaway.

"Oh. Right."

She wasn't sure how to go forward from there. Her assumption seemed incredibly awkward to Alex, and she stood rather dumbly, staring at the woman. Oops.

"Y-yeah, I think I am. Um... For future reference, an extract is made by dropping the full leaves in a jar of alcohol, typically vodka. We...we can still use these. I have some tea bags," Alex fished around in the bottom of the bag, pulling out a handful. "Just dump that in here and stick it in a jar or bowl or something."

Alex nodded when Rey spoke of a weapon smear. She couldn't know, but in Alex's experience, the light that was inside of them meant that weapon smears didn't work too well, but her experience was extremely limited. She'd be far more comfortable testing out the other methods first.

The antidote would be fairly simple, Alex thought. Extra Claytona wouldn't be any good- it would just bung things up more, she thought. But by taking pure Iffloil Petals, it might speed up the reaction rate to a point where the Claytona Monticola just "burned" off. Alex realized she had been thinking aloud, but shrugged- it was probably good to get another mind working on this, even if the other mind didn't quite get her unique physiology.

"Actually, that's a brilliant idea. If I mixed it with something as common as glue, using the Barkskin to bind the two together, then Iffloil petals to cause the glue to bind quicker..." she trailed off. "The binder will help bind two things that otherwise would want to separate. It isn't much good by itself, but if we used a glue or something similar... You know of anything else crystalline that would bind up?"

"I don't think adding more Claytona would help, but if I ingest Iffloil Petals then it'll speed up my own body's breakdown of food. That extra energy might go and break down the bonds... I'm really not too sure. The more ideas and more variety we have, the better the chance we have of this working." Alex gave Rey a wry smile. "I've never self-tested before."

Within a few bits, Alex had the first samples ready for testing. One was a powder, the precipitate from the earlier reaction, which she would inhale. The next ones were vials of each of the two liquids- the larger bowl and the smaller bowl of the alembic, both to be ingested.

Finally, Alex had made a concentrated powder of Iffloil Petals as an antidote, as well as a small amount of the Claytona. Who knew, maybe Rey was onto something. She had reacted when Alex had shifted, but not of shock or disbelief. More out of... recognition? Loss? It was something out of place on the fairly stoic woman's face, that much was for sure.

Shrugging, Alex discarded the thought and readied herself. "Let's try these few, then we can expand if they don't work. I've been exposed to this particular paralysis before, so I know the feeling that comes with it, and I'll know if its right."

With that, Alex grabbed the powder and threw it in her own face.
word count: 717
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”