• Closed • Self fullfilling prophecy

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2080
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Self fullfilling prophecy

When Kura spoke about her parents, Faith's face probably told all that Kura needed to know, but she didn't say anything, just shook her head. Some things were not necessary to discuss and she had no wish to spoil what was a perfectly nice shopping trip. Unfortunately, of course, she managed it anyhow with what the disciplined young woman considered to be an entirely hysterical outburst on her part. She looked at Kura with a grateful smile as she led her to the stool and she sat on it. Kura wasn't having any of Faith's attempts at deflection, however, which Faith was not at all surprised at. Instead, she got straight to the actual heart of the matter.

"I was given to the slavers before I'd breathed a break, they told me. I don't know why, my parents weren't slaves themselves, they were free and they chose that life for me. That's all I ever got told." Not really a need to explain why they'd even bothered telling her that, it was to make it clear to her just how little she'd meant. Bottom line was exactly that and Faith looked at Kura with an immense feeling of gratitude, which showed in her face. "No one understands. I know how self pitying that sounds, and I don't mean it that way. But they started my training immediately, I've never known anything else." Trying to explain it was hard and had proved pretty much impossible to everyone.

"I don't know what family means. I say that and people nod and tell me that they understand but this or but that, and there is no bloody but, Kura, I don't know what it means. Mother, father, brother, sister, childhood. It isn't that I had bad experiences of any of those things, I have never had them. I've never seen them, experienced them or felt them and people just assume that everyone knows the words, has some shared experience. I know loyalty but is that family? I know love, but is that family? I have no clue and no one will tell me, because they can't understand my life any more than I can understand theirs." She shook her head and looked at Kura with a sad expression. "If this is what we've been told it is, then I'm about six months along but covered with an illusion. I was Tristan's bed-slave but only his, he was the first. So there's no question, really." She gave a slight and ironic smile "I wish there was. I think Padraig could be my family, we were talking about marriage and children just before we found out and we're not ready. But I think maybe one trial we would have been. Now though? Who knows." She shook her head and squeezed Kura's hand, gratefully.

"There's no fixing this right now. It will need to play out how it does, I reckon." How that might be, the young woman had truly no idea.
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 528
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Council Member
Renown: 610
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Faith, fortunately, didn't attempt any more misdirection and Kura put her hand on the other womans as she told her story. She did give a sharp exhale when Faith said that she had been given up by her parents, but otherwise stayed silent throughout the other womans explanation. Cally, though Kura couldn't see her, sat next to Faith and was attempting to hold her other hand. When Faith wound down, Kura sighed. "Mortals always try to mold other peoples experiences into something they can understand, something relatable. I think it's a defense mechanism, to help keep from having to confront just how evil the world can really be." she said, her tone annoyed. Kura was half-mortal, but hadn't been raised as such, so she had a tendency to seperate herself from Mortals, even subconsciously.

"We'll come to the child in a bit, as I think I can help with the former and that will lead to the latter naturally." she said, before letting out a sigh and laughing slightly. "When I was a child, I thought I was goin' insane. Kept hearin' a voice in my head that no one else could. A lot of people thought I was makin' it up, or that it was a gamem but my mum explained it to me. Told me it was part of bein' Mortalborn. Turned out to be my owl familiar, Speck." she said, before looking at Faith. "I don't understand growin' up without a family, and I won't pretend or claim that I do. But ever since I was little, I've been...separate from everyone else. I know how that feels." she said, before pulling Faith into a hug.

"Loyalty, love, trust, guidance. Family is all that and more. It's what you choose for it to be." she said, and when she let go of Faith, she looked her in the eyes. "Family is the people you can tell you deepest fears and darkest secrets too, its where you go when you have nowhere else you can go. It's the people you would give your life for without a moments hesitation and who would do the same for you." she said, before she let out a sharp sigh of annoyance. "Some would tell you that family is blood ties, but that's a load of wolf shite." she said, before pausing for a moment. "Cally was family to me. Family is the people leave holes that can't be filled when they die." she said, causing Cally to look at her sadly and try to reach out to her as well as Faith.

After a moment, Kura shook her head. "Sorry, Cally. I know that hurt you to hear, but it is true." she said, before looking at Faith again. "Does that help at all, lass? If it helps any further, I knew you and Padraig are a family when I saw you together. And for what its worth, I consider you family as I did Cally." she said, smiling at her.
word count: 520
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Faith smiled gratefully to Cally and put her hand where the spirit's hand was. Could the girl feel it? Faith didn't know but she knew enough to know that it mattered that she tried, so she did. Kura's explanation of why people molded their experiences, of it being a defence mechanism made perfect sense and Faith nodded. The mortalborn woman didn't ever tell her that she understood, that it was the same as hers, but she shared her own experience. Faith was more grateful than she had words to say. Thankfully, she didn't need to say them, instead returning the hug with the woman who had been kind beyond measure to her, for no reason other than she was kind, Faith thought. So, she hugged the mortalborn and felt a most genuine rush of gratitude to her.

When Kura looked her in the eye and told her what family was, what it meant, Faith's own eyes were wide as she listened. What Kura described when she spoke about family was, exactly, what Faith felt for Padraig. She could tell him anything, speak to him about her greatest fears and, more than that she had gone to him when she had nowhere else to go. She and he had both proved that they would die for each other and that was who they were for each other. That was family? Faith smiled at Kura with a sadness in her expression when the mortalborn spoke and then Cally reached for her. "She's reaching to you. Here." With a care and reverence evident in her every move, Faith took Kura's hand and placed it with Cally's.

Did it help? Faith nodded her head and would have spoken but, when Kura said that she thought of her as family the already emotional and pregnant young woman felt tears prickling at her eyes. "I don't have words for how much you've helped me, I really don't. Thank you so much." Faith leant and kissed the mortalborn woman on the cheek. "I feel the same way, I just didn't realise that was what family feels like. Thank you, Kura." She squeezed the mortalborn woman's hand and considered her words. "He's hurt, but he's frustrated at himself, too. I know him and he wants to protect me from harm, to stop anything from hurting me. He thinks he keeps failing, thinks this is another failure and he doesn't hear me when I tell him that it isn't. I'll talk to him." She looked at Kura and smiled, determined that she was going to make this alright between her and Padraig.
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 459

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

When Faith placed Kura's hand with Cally's, Kura smiled slightly. "Thank you." she said quietly, her tone gentle. When she was done, and Faith kissed her on the cheek, she smiled and patted Faith on the shoulder. When she explained what the exact problem she was having with Padraig was, Kura smiled and nodded. "It's easy to blame yourself for not protectin' the people under your care. I did when Cally died. For a time, I thought of followin' her." she said, before grimacing. "Sorry, Cally." she said, again apologizing to the spirit of her old friend.

Cally, however, had gained a shocked expression before she started to glower at Kura. "You...you...YOU WERE GOIN' TO KILL YOURSELF JUST TO FOLLOW ME!?" she exploded, yelling in rage at this revelation. "YOU WERE PART OF THE HIGH COURTS, AN ADVISOR TO THE EMPRESS HERSELF! YOU, OF ALL PEOPLE, SHOULD KNOW THAT YOUR FIRST DUTY WAS TO THE LIVIN', NOT THE DEAD!" she said as she continue in her rage induced outburst without really pausing. After all, it wasn't as if Cally had to breathe.

Ignorant of Cally's still ongoing outburst, Kura shrugged. "It'll take Padraig a bit to get to grips that it isn't a failure on his part, but it will, eventually happen. At least until the next time you get hurt." she said, before pausing in thought for a moment and looking around. "By the way, not to interrupt the conversation, but could I talk you into helpin' me pick out some clothes before we leave?" she asked, her tone slightly amused.

At this, Cally came to a halt in her rant and grinned. "We get to find her pretty clothes? Yay!" she said, literally bouncing with joy before she suddenly gave Faith a sheepish look. "Sorry. I really am. I'm...I'm not used to there bein' anyone who can hear me anymore." she said, looking depressed at that.
word count: 337
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

That Padraig blamed himself was without doubt and Faith knew it to be true, even as she knew it was a ridiculous thing to blame himself for. "I can only conclude that men are the most confusing of creatures and my man is even moreso." But he was. Hers that was and between them they would find their way through this. They had to because they had no other choice.

Faith looked at Cally with something of a raised eyebrow as she shouted. How did she manage to shout when she didn't need to breathe, Faith wondered. Best not to ask, she decided and she turned her attention back to Kura. "Yes, I'd like that. In fact, lets look at some clothes, shall we?" The pregnancy might not be showing, but Faith was tired in her bones. She smiled at Cally and shook her head. "Don't worry. I haven't forgotten my promise to try and help you, Cally. I will, I've got some books but the Rharnians aren't big on that kind of stuff." They had a whole 'celebrate life, burn the dead' thing going on for them which Faith really couldn't get on board with. Colour her a worshipper of Famula and all.

"As soon as we get back to Andaris, Padraig and I, I'll go to the library there. I'm sure it'll be more helpful." She smiled at Kura and would help her to choose clothes for as long as the Mortalborn wanted. Ironically, Faith was really rather good at that, but it was choosing her own things which gave her pause. Once they were done, though, she would make her way home where she felt like she might just sleep for a week.
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 303

~ Rharne HQ
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kura laughed as Faith concluded that men were the most ridiculous of creatures. "Clearly, you've never tried to raise a cat. Had a friend once when I was but a wee lass who had a cat. Spent the week at her house once, and the kitten was completely insane." she said, still laughing. When Faith suggested they finish clothes shopping, Kura nodded and stood up, though she fell silent as Faith reassured Cally she was still going to help the ghost out if she could. "Thank you for that, by the way. I know that helping the dead falls under your duties as a Blessed of Famula, but not many would have gone so far." she said quietly.

Over the next half a break, the two of them tried on various outfits, trying to find several that fit Kura. They eventually came away with three outfits for Kura that Faith, and judging by the occasional abstracted look on Faith's face, Cally, helped Kura pick out. The first was a bit of an oddity for her, a red dress with gold highlights. It was made of satin and had lace trim, with a chain belt that served as the only similarity between the colorful dress and her ordinarily predominately black wardrobe.

The second outfit was a dark purple blouse with a black skirt and a cape that was black on the outside and red on the inside, all made out of cotton, meant to be a more casual outfit that was still feminine, as opposed to her standard shirt and trousers she wore when traveling.

The third outfit got her some odd looks until she explained the purpose behind it. A much simpler affair than the others, the third outfit was a wool shirt and leather trousers, with a hooded leather overcoat and a leather baldric, all in pitch black. Unlike the rest of the outfits Faith and Cally helped her choose, this one was purely for work, a durable, hardy set of clothing that could take any rough treatment she needed it to while she worked as a mercenary defending the people of Rharne, or wherever she happened to land in the future.

Once she and Faith had paid for their clothes, Kura turned and grinned at Faith. "Thanks for the help. I don't usually go for so many colors. I do have one more thing I need to pick up today, but I can do that on my own if you'd rather go home." she said, smiling as she spoke.
Off Topic
100GN for the first dress.
12 GN and 18 SN for the second outfit.
80 GN and 24 SN for the third outfit.

192 GN and 42 SN in total.
word count: 463
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Faith chuckled and shook her head. "We have a cat. Came upon her as a kitten, her mother had died birthing her. She's much easier and, between you and I? She's more logical too." That was a simple truth for her there was no doubting it. In terms of helping Cally, though, Faith shook her head. "It's my duty, pleasure and privilege to try. I won't forget." Truthfully, she hoped that she'd have better luck where they had a different attitude towards death. That certainly might mean there was more in the libraries.

She thought that Kura looked beautiful in the red dress, told her so and told her that the shade complimented her colouring. The outfit with the cape too was lovely and she chuckled at the work outfit wondering, and not for the first time, why it was that people felt the need to judge each other by their clothes. Faith was no more surprised by one outfit than the other, each was functional in their own way, after all. That made good sense to her, for each person played so many different roles in their life. Kura just had a wardrobe for each one, it seemed.

For herself, in the end, she bought only the rose pink dress, explaining to Kura that she wanted to 'wait and see what happened here, really' before she went overboard. It made sense to her to do that since she might be about to explode in a pregnant manner, or it might all be a lie or Famula knew what else.

When Kura said she had one more thing to get though, Faith considered saying she'd go with her, but then decided that honesty was the best policy. "I need to get back and sleep. Thank you, though, for today. Really" She kissed the mortalborn on the cheek and made her way home with a weary step.
Off Topic
Chiffon Dress: 24gn deducted from ledger
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 336

~ Rharne HQ
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kura smiled as Faith said that she was going to head home for the night, grinning slightly at the kiss on the cheek. Before Faith could leave, however, she stopped her. Reaching up, she motioned for Faith to tilt her head, the kissed on the top of her head, though she had to stand on her tiptoes to do it. "If ever you need me, do not be afraid to ask. I will come if at all possible. If it is impossible, I will come regardless." she said, her tone and voice utterly serious.

When Faith left, Kura went to the forges to pick up one last item, one she had ordered several days ago. The smith took her Nel gratefully and handed over the masterwork battle axe that would serve as Kura's weapon if ever needed to get into a close range fight. From the forge, she decided to follow Faith's example and go home, where she curled up next to Phelan, who was quite warm after the cold weather of the day, and rested until night fell, when Kura and her familiars would again hunt those who preyed on the innocents of Rharne.
Off Topic
160 GN deducted from Kura's ledger for Masterwork Battle Axe
word count: 216
Nymph
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

word count: 0
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be then me.
Nymph
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

REWARDS

FAITH

• Knowledge:
    • Psychology: Personal Style
    • Psychology: The Definition of Family is Obscure and Personal
    • Rharne: Celebrate the Living, Burn the Dead
    • Padraig: Considered Tristan as bad as Jamal
    • Kura: Understanding
    • Kura: Sees You as Family
    • Cally: Same Family History as Faith
    Loot:
    • - 24GN
    • Dress (Chiffon, Pink)
    Injuries: None
    Fame: +2 (Helping Kura), +1 (Promise to Help Cally)

Story: 5/5
    Collaboration: 5/5
    Structure: 5/5

- - - - - - -

KURA

• Knowledge:
    • Psychology: Different Mindsets
    • Animal Husbandry: Cats are Worse than Men
    • Faith: Captured the Rharne Strangler
    • Faith: Embarassed by Lingerie
    • Faith: Not Married to Padraig Yet
    • Faith: Pregnant
    • Padraig: Faith's Child is Not His
    • Padraig: Captured the Rharne Strangler
    • Unshakeable Tracker: The Tracks of a Pregnant Woman
    Loot:
    • - 192 GN 42 SN
    • - 160 GN
    • Masterwork Battle Axe
    • Red Dress (gold lace trim, satin)
    • Chain Belt
    • Black/Red Cape (cotton)
    • Purple Blouse (cotton)
    • Black Skirt (cotton)
    • Shirt (wool, black)
    • Leather Pants (black)
    • Hooded Overcoat (black, leather)
    • Baldric (leather, black)
    Injuries: None
    Fame: +2 (Helping Faith)

Story: 5/5
    Collaboration: 5/5
    Structure: 5/5

- - - - - - -

Comments: This was a fun thread to read. Poor Faith. She has to overcome a great deal when it comes to normalcy. Especially since she is having difficulty making choices on her own. Kura should have tried harder to get her to buy some lingerie.

In reference to Unshakeable Tracker: I gave a Kura a knowledge, but I'm not sure that was the correct context given the write-up in her CS. Please clarify that in future threads as I believe it should be in the tracks of 'prey' not the aura they give off.

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM. Thank you!
word count: 350
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be then me.
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”