• Mature • Victimizing the Innocent

cont'd from How to Pick a Victim 101

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Aerlan
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Renown: 24
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Victimizing the Innocent

There was a need to bide time out of sight of any approaching guards and of the residents he had chosen as his next victims. His focus turned not just to the adobe home but to the two plots next to it. To its left stood another adobe dwelling, but no lights shined out from the windows. Either the residents were absent, asleep, or non-existent. This was a boon. Located to the right was a wooden residence. Aerlan walked by and could hear the sounds of raised voices. Slowing his pace, he listened closer and was able to discern two different voices, one male and the other female. Most likely it was a married couple fighting from what could be heard. That was beneficial as well. Those two would be too focused on each other to notice the world outside their home. Recon completed, the mage turned around and headed back down the dirt lane and passed the twins' home.

As soon as he approached the neighboring adobe dwelling, Aerlan looked around to make sure no one was looking and walked between in the twenty foot gap heading for the rear. His steps swiftly took him to the empty space between the residences and the ward ring. Deciding to put his bet on the unlit home as a safer place to wait, Aerlan moved behind the house while ducking beneath any windows from either housing unit. He lay down and wrapped his cloak tightly around his tall, slender frame. Closing his eyes, his senses reached down to the earth beneath him and with an influx of ether, the Defier called out. It didn't take long before the deep humming that was the voice of Earth echoed in his mind. A message with his Will was sent out and the earth rumbled gently beneath him. Dirt slowly piled upon itself and began to cover every inch of the Eidisi with only his face open to the air above. A thought struck him. A body sized mound of dirt was suspicious in the unlikely event he was found. Another influx of ether and Will piled more dirt around him and leveled out into a minor slope. One could only hope it just looked like part of the landscape. In such a position, Aerlan kept his eyes closed and decided to try his hand at meditating to pass the time. Breathing in and out in the same even tempo that the mage currently used to prepare his magic, he kept the repetition and cleared his mind for the next four breaks.

You know, brother... Sometimes I think you're an idiot. You could have merely tripped the woman with your magic and assisted the twins. Playing that nice guy facade you use on people, I'm sure they'd have let you in their home. From there...it would have been quick and simple. Just an idea for next time so I won't be so fekkin' bored!

The 24th Break arrived. The mage opened his eyes and reversed the magic he had cast earlier. The earth returned to its original position and Aerlan stood up, brushing off the remaining dirt stuck to himself. A quick look at the two adobe homes revealed what he had hoped. Lights were off now in the twins home. Sneaking closer, Aerlan made a slow but careful loop of the home, making sure to stop and listen at windows, to check for noise within. He could hear nothing. This didn't mean his targets were asleep, but he couldn't wait forever. The mage approached the front door, the only one the dwelling had, and knelt down. With a cursory look around to make sure there were no pedestrians about at this late hour, the aberrant held out his hand and poured Ether into the darker magic within him. Before his hand appeared a Sphere no larger than a beach ball. Deep purple in color, within its depths swirled tempest of crimson clouds. As chaotic as the nature of the magic, the crimson clouds stretched and bulged, thinned and sped around. No form was stuck to for more than a moment.

As Aerlan's hand moved, so to did his sphere. That bastard always showed me to focus via using my hands like a conductor...but I wonder... The momentary lapse in concentration had caused the Sphere to swell to twice its size, causing Aerlan to step back. Uncertainty towards the results of touching it was a worry. A bead of sweat appeared and the mage focused closer upon the sphere, returning it to the original size he had desired. With his previous thought in mind, Aerlan lowered his hand and looked from the sphere to the lock and handle of the door. Pushing with his Will, the sphere moved with his thoughts and collided with the lock.

Glaren, assist me. You know I lack practice with this magic.

I'm well aware of your inexperience. It's because you play with your elements more than me. Now. Will the very essence of what this power is: destruction. Let the Sphere do the rest.

Advised thus, Aerlan put his Will to a single thought: destroy. The metal lock slowly rusted. What would have taken months of exposure to wind & rain occurred over the next few bits. Aerlan watched the shiny metal turn dull then slowly become flecked with rust before being completely overtaken and crumbling to minute particles at his feet. The door was untouched, strangely enough. So just because it is in the Sphere does not mean it will be affected... Truly a random magic for now. I must gain better control of this. Shrugging and filing the thought away for further exploration later, Aerlan pushed on the door gently. Thankfully the hinges were in decent shape for very little sound escaped from his intrusion. Glancing carefully inside, the aberrant was only able to see a darkened interior and the shapes of what he assumed were a table with two chairs. No sound from the occupants met his ears so he slowly inched his way inside in a crouch.

A sudden snore erupted from within and Aerlan smirked. Good. Sleep well, my test subjects. You'll soon awake in the next world. Aerlan closed the door silently behind him.
word count: 1062
"Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world... No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it. A man is to carry himself in the presence of all opposition, as if every thing were titular and ephemeral but he. I am ashamed to think how easily we capitulate to badges and names, to large societies and dead institutions."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance"
Aerlan
Approved Character
Race: Eídisi
Renown: 24
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Victimizing the Innocent

It took several bits before his voided eyes could see more detail. His original assumption concerning the furniture was correct. With a better look around, Aerlan saw the walls decorated with flower garlands and various minor crafts. Is that a female pastime? Gender roles dictate it is her, but I'm sure males can do such things. More importantly, however, were the two beds in the opposite far corners of the small residence. Every few moments a deep snore would resound within the dwelling from the back left corner, presumably the male twin. Both figures were covered in blankets, but whereas the brother was still the sister tossed and turned causing the small bed to creak softly. Bad dreams?

A sudden pain clenched at the aberrants chest. His addiction was eating at his core and the desire creeping upon him to rush forward Flay the twins before another moment could pass. Step by step, the addiction led him forward until he stood perfectly centered between the twins. Uncontrolled. This was the ultimate consequence of addiction. If it was not fed and maintained appropriately then it would take the helm and steer the ship into the rocks. So it did and so it was. With two souls mere feet away, Aerlan could hear them whispering seductively.

Take us. Devour us. Flay us.

A part of his mind, the detached center of logic, knew the auditory hallucinations were not real. Addiction did not care. The brother snored again, drawing Aerlan's gaze and sealing the man's doom. With rapid steps and all attempts at stealth gone in a haze of pure need, the aberrant closed in on the man. His left hand shot forward to cover the man's mouth while at the same time his right was placed palm to forehead. And he pulled. Ecstasy. Pure, unadulterated pleasure tore through Aerlan's lean frame causing him to shake with the power flooding his very being. Shaking no longer in withdrawal but in hedonistic wonder, the Eidisi's gaze lit with an inner fire as the man beneath his hand died in his sleep. Moments passed as the Flaying completed its work and the twin brother shriveled to a husk. Task done, Aerlan stood up to his full height and stretched. A pleasant pop echoed in the tiny domicile. He sighed content, the power of his unholy ability pulsing just beneath his skin. It felt as if he could topple a mountain with a single Sphere, or freeze the ocean by combining this divine power with his elemental inclinations.

Or you could subdue and Flay an entire city! Yes, brother, yes! Remember to never let this feeling go. Keep Flaying. Keep feeding.

A feminine gasp.

Aerlan turned immediately to see the twin sister sitting up in bed and staring at him and the husk of her dead brother in horror. As she opened her mouth to scream, Aerlan summoned forth his Sphere with a thought and sent it rocketing forward. She threw herself sideways off the bed to land with a thud and grunt upon the ground. Voided eyes burned with energy while he followed both the trajectory of his Sphere and the woman's ungraceful plummet. The Sphere tore into the wall behind where the twin sister's head had been, punching a perfect hole in dwelling. Wood sizzled at the perfect edges, smoke rising in a small plume. Hissing in displeasure, Aerlan ripped his new dagger from the sheath and dove upon the woman. Kicking at him, she tried to crawl out of his reach but failed. His hand covered her mouth to avoid any loud noises and the knife was brought to her throat.

"Shhhhhh. Quiet, little one. Be still or you die," hissed the aberrant. "I will not kill you. Just relax."

Quivering in terror, the woman quit fighting. Aerlan smiled his best fake grin and removed his hand from her mouth. A glint of metal shot passed her throat. She began to speak but found her words came out only as gurgle. Panic lit within her eyes and she kicked out. Weakness slowly overcame her and darkness encroached at the edges of her vision while tears streamed from her eyes. The woman didn't feel the dagger plunge into her chest and belly over and over. When her eyes finally closed, the life finally left her twitching, diminutive body.

Aerlan stood up and stared down at the bloody dagger in his hand and the puddle of crimson pooling beneath the woman from the several wounds inflicted in her torso and the second smile he had given her throat. Half a break passed before the mage's senses finally returned. Addiction assuaged and with two bodies in front of him, he smiled at the glowing yellow eyes that appeared in the darkness before him.

Oh well. I wanted to test a few theories on her. Such a waste...

Indeed. Such a waste. You killed her without Flaying. Tsk tsk.

Waving off the critique, Aerlan looked down at himself and found his hand covered in as much blood as the dagger. Clean. That was what he needed to be. When one killed, you couldn't leave evidence of your involvement. As such, Aerlan searched around the small abode for a pitcher of water. Finding one, he quickly cleaned his hands and blade then dried off on a nearby towel. The entire point of this venture was completed but there had to be something of use in the room. A quick check of the bodies and dwelling followed for Aerlan to look for coin or generic essentials that could not be tied back to the couple. Task completed, Aerlan headed for the door and opened it gently. No one was outside so the murderer exited the dwelling and close the door behind him.

The urge to be cautious struck him in case his a witness saw him leave the area. Aerlan headed to the rear of the dwellings where he had hidden himself earlier. From here, he kept the heightened wall of the ward ring to his right and followed it until he was stopped by a ramp leading up into the ward itself. From here, he figured he could leave his skulking and returned to the main thoroughfare and head to his own rented home. Sleep would probably not come this night but his step was lighter and the energy flooding his system would keep the fatigue at bay.
word count: 1088
"Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world... No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it. A man is to carry himself in the presence of all opposition, as if every thing were titular and ephemeral but he. I am ashamed to think how easily we capitulate to badges and names, to large societies and dead institutions."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance"
Maltruism
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Victimizing the Innocent

MOD BOMB!!

The investigator had his assistants scouring the hovel for anything that could be of use. And of all things, a wash bucket would be the element that would hopefully allow justice to be brought to whomever had perpetrated this vile dual murder.

It was plain the killer had made an effort to wash clean his evidence. The investigator grinned at the irony that this very act would most likely provide the means of a solid conviction. There needed to be nothing directly incriminating, like a clutch of fabric in the girl's dead hand, or a lock of torn hair discarded on the floor. Alchemical processing of the water would isolate two strains of ether, one the victim's, one the murderer's. Then a simple tracking filter would eventually lead the law to the filthy bastard that had committed this heinous deed.

Grinnley Fastwell had an innate loathing of those that exploited the shortcut of magic, as a means of achieving power. And he guarded himself well against it. His was a special cell of the Black Guard, an offshoot of the SSC, or "Special Support Committee". His garb was warded against virtually every magic imaginable. Not every magic imbued into a single garment of course. He had to make an educated guess on what he was facing and don the appropriate cloak. And judging by the corroded lock, one that never would have been kept on a door at all in that condition; as well as the perfect circle burnt for no reason into the wall, he had little doubt he was up against an Aberrant.

Based out of Foster's Landing, his crew had already been alerted to the finding of a flayed member of a ship's crew that had docked some time ago, it's captain having sent one of his men up river with an eidisi passenger. The crewman had been found flayed to a husk, but the eidisi was never seen again. In consideration of the possibility that he'd simply run afoul of some different play, they'd been searching the area for a second victim. But nothing had turned up. Nothing but rumors of new flaying victims in Etzos proper. And now the rumors had been confirmed. And although none of the new victims' neighbors could confirm an eidisi in that location that very night, there had been one loitering around earlier that trial.

Grinn cocked the half smile that one would guess he'd been named for. No, there was no doubt in his mind, regardless of the fools that clung to that obstructive 'innocent until proven guilty' crap thought. There was a murderous mage in the Etzos area. And he was an eidisi. And Grinnley would see him beheaded or hung.
Come and get your loot!

(There's plenty more where that came from)

AERLAN:
Rewards:

• Story: +5
  • Collaboration: +0 (solo)
  • Structure: +5

Knowledges:

• Aberration: Harvester is Always Ready with Advice
  • Aberration: Destruction is often Selective
  • Aberration: Loss of Focus Let the Sphere Expand
  • Blade: Dagger: "Going For the Throat": The Classic Killing Stroke
  • Blade: Dagger: Losing Your Focus in an Orgy of Blood
  • Defiance: Making a Bed Within the Ground
  • Defiance: Smoothing Out the Evidence of Earth Magic
  • Detection: The Rush of Flaying Diminishes Your Awareness
  • Flaying: Addiction Syndrome: Audio Hallucinations
  • Hunting: In Close, A Dagger May be Better Than Aberration
  • Hunting: Stalk Twice, Strike Once
  • Hunting: Take Note of Peripheral Elements
  • Intimidation: The Classic "Knife to the Throat" Tactic
  • Stealth: A Nearby Argument is Good Cover
  • Stealth: Don't Move Until You Get Used to the Dark
  • Stealth: Snores Will Cover Light Footsteps

Loot:

11gn, 4sn, 8cn
His Leather Gloves
Unused Blank Journal
Compass
Standard First Aid Kit (per the price list)
A few edible odds and ends to tide you over

Loss:

Any chance of going to heaven ;)

Injuries:

Nothing to speak of

Fame: -12

Double Murder, in the victim's own home!
As you can see above, this stuff may come back to haunt you.

Devotion:

Valtharn would love it, but you probably are not aware of her.

Comments:

Delightfully savage!
I think however there's a discrepancy where you describe an adobe dwelling, but your sphere burns a hole in the wood!
It's hard to come up with truly generic items. What I have is stuff that you will have seen being commonly found in the Market, so they can't really be evidence against you.
PM me with any comments or concerns :)
word count: 759
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Etzos”