• PM To Join • Bad Teacher

The illiterate six year old Mortalborn becomes a teacher.

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderator: Basilisk Snek

Limbo
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Parasite
Renown: -108
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Bad Teacher

31st of Zi’da, 716
10th Break
Paplo was nervous. It was undeniable that his decision to become a teacher would be a challenge, especially for an illiterate and rather ignorant individual like himself. If anyone was aware of his reality, they would certainly question his decision, or perhaps brand him as a fool or shake their heads in pity. However, Paplo’s decision had not been made lightly, for there was always logic backing every major decision he took in life. Teaching orphans was not only a great professional choice to warm the heart of the community towards him, but it also allowed him an actual opportunity to learn too. Learning was what he did best, for there always a new piece of knowledge that could change the way he perceived the world.

His silent mind-dwelling came to a halt once his students arrived in the improvised classroom, which was one of the Prime Sanitarium’s many hallways, at the side of which somebody had hung a small chalkboard, and placed some rags on the floor to serve as seating. The state of war and the hostilities with Rhakros had a cost on the Etzori, and the children that now gathered atop the aforementioned rags were left alone in the world for one reason and the other. Some of them still had some luck, for some of their parents still lived, yet like every refugee, they lived with nothing. Paplo himself looked like a refugee, for his tattered clothing was even in worse shape than many of his students’.
“Good morning, class,” said Paplo, standing tall and proud.
“Good morning, mister teacher,” Replied the children in unison.
“My name is Paplo Ynush, so you can call me Mister Ynush, children. Since this is my first day here, we’ll introduce ourselves really quickly so I can start remembering your names.” Was he doing this correctly? A teacher was supposed to be a sort of leader for the children, dictating what to do and what to learn… right? He should’ve visited a classroom and see how other teachers did this.

The children proceeded to introduce themselves. They were almost three dozens, and so learning their names at the first sweep was a challenge as well, yet one that Paplo could easily overcome.
“How old are you?” asked Paplo.
“Eight arcs old,” replied most of them. There were a few of them that replied nine, or even seven, which somewhat confused Paplo. How could some be seven, most of them eight, and some of them nine?
“I see,” replied Paplo, not really seeing anything. He wondered for a moment if eight was his age, or if he was supposed to teach children older than him. It was so ironic. “Well, now that we know ourselves, let’s begin with our studies. Open your books, please.”
The children obeyed. There was a single book for every four students, which spoke of the situation within Etzos.

Paplo had one, given to him by the lead surgeon, for he was the one that employed him. He couldn’t take it home, of course, but that didn’t seem like a big loss. As he opened it, his blue eyes were greeted by those strange symbols Paplo couldn’t decipher.
“Where have you left off? Which page are we on?” asked the teacher.
“This is our first class, mister teacher.”
“Ah.” Paplo’s eyes drifted off into the sanitarium’s hallway, a distant improvised classroom calling his attention. The teacher was writing something on the chalkboard, and Paplo, for the sake of being a normal teacher, tried to do the same. Turning around, he’d take a piece of chalk, and brought it to the board.

Since he didn’t know how to write or read, Paplo thought of a quick solution. Using the book’s cover as guidance, he began recreating the characters written on the cover onto the chalkboard, trying his best to make them exact copies, certain they would explain the theme of whatever subject they were about to learn. It was harder than it looked. It didn’t take him too much, and when he turned around he was met with the confused eyes of the children. Unfortunately for Paplo, they did know how to read.
“Right then,” announced Paplo, pointing towards the chalkboard. On it, the words ‘Teacher’s Book’ shined for everyone to see. Paplo hadn’t quite realized his book was different, and his confidence was nothing but confusing. “Let’s begin. Timmon, start reading.”
word count: 766
Limbo
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Bad Teacher

The school day for this class was apparently divided in three segments. The first one had been easily overcome by having the students take turns in reading, and so the history lesson was over. It had been a boring break filled with facts Paplo cared not for, but easily faked to pay attention by nodding every now and then as he walked back and forth. Now, it was time for something far less easy: mathematics.

The mere concept of mathematics scared the teacher, for no matter how much he had tried, those strange symbols still made no sense to him. Unlike reading, mathematics was based upon an entirely different concept. It was based upon strange formulas that changed results depending on every term within it, and finding the pattern had proven to be impossible. It was as if an entire world had been hidden from him, or at least that is how Paplo the teacher felt about it.
“Alright, class,” he said, as he began to turn the pages. “Let’s get into the fun stuff.”

All the pages turned until letters were a minority, and instead numbers overtook the pages. If his body felt the same his mind felt, Paplo would be crying rivers of blood. How the hell was he supposed to teach this? He frowned as he noticed something that called his attention. Unaware that he had a different book, Paplo stepped forth towards one of the students.
“May I see your book, please?” he asked. Once the book was in his hand, on the same page, he realized something that brought him as calmer as a large meal. The alumni had calculations, yes, but Paplo’s book had the answers, or so it seemed. There were more symbols in his pages, and even without understanding what each of the symbols meant, he based his conclusion in the notion that more is better. If he had more symbols, then perhaps he knew more. He returned the book, and he took a hold of a chalk stick.
“Alright. Which page are we on?” he asked.
“Seventy two.”
“Is everyone on page seventy two?” Hopefully he was on it too. “Can anyone tell me what we’re seeing?”
“Additions and subtractions, mister teacher.”
“Do we all agree?”
The orphans nodded.
“That is correct,” said Paplo. “Can anyone tell the rest of the class what additions and subtractions are?”
“Addition is the operation of calculating the total of two or more numbers or amounts. Subtraction is the operation of removing objects from a collection.” Replied one of the children, which had read the definition from the book.
Paplo was very, very lost. “That is correct. Let’s see…” Turning around, he began copying the characters that appeared on his book, doing so disturbingly slowly, for his writing experience was null. On the chalkboard, a simple addition was written: 5 + 6 = 11. He then looked behind him and pointed towards the mysterious symbols. “What’s this?”
“An addition!” replied the orphans in unison.
“Very good!” He was a great teacher. Below it, he wrote another addition, copied directly from his book. 8 + 11 = 19, and turned to face the children once again. “How about this?”
“An addition!” they repeated.
“Very well. Let’s try this one.” Now, Paplo copied a different sort of operation: 6 – 5 = 1. “What is this?”
“A subtraction!”
“Correct.” Was it, though? Why did they know and he didn’t? He needed an answer. Paplo pointed to the first number, which was as crooked as the male that called himself teacher. “Can anyone tell me what this is?”
“The number six.”
“This?” he pointed towards the symbol in the middle.
“Minus.”
“And this?” he now pointed towards the third symbol.
“The number five.”
“What about this one?” He now pointed towards the fourth symbol, obviously.
“Equals.”
“And the last one?”
“The number one!”
“Very well. So number six minus number five equals number one, correct?”
The children fell silent. They had never heard anything as bizarre as what their teacher had just told them. “… Yes.”

word count: 685
Limbo
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Bad Teacher

Paplo was starting to understand bits and pieces of what all this mathematical science was all about. It was still a much distorted concept, yet the teacher was advancing in his understanding. Apparently, the patterns changed depending on the symbols written between the numbers, which expressed quantity. The additions and subtractions were determined by the symbol in the middle, and the symbol equals expressed the end of the operation. Everything after it was the result of the formula. Because of this reasoning, Paplo dared to increase the difficulty for the students, for they were supposed to be learning, not going over the same ideas over and over again. Whether he did it for the knowledge of his students or his own was not really stated.
“Let’s see how you handle this one,” announced Paplo, as his painfully slow writing began in the chalkboard. There, he wrote various additions and subtractions, yet the solution that was written in his book was not included in his scribblings. “Okay, who can tell me the solution to this one?”
“Twenty one!” said a child.
“Twenty three!” said another.
Paplo looked at his book, and saw the solution. However, being unable to count, he was also unable to correct whoever had made the mistake. Instead of voicing it, his reply came in the written form, as he copied the digits that appeared on the book.
“How much is this?” he asked the classroom.
“Thirty five.”
“Yes,” he said with a nod. However, he was just as confused as his students. It was important to note that the operation written on the chalkboard included five digits, two additions and one subtraction, which made it somewhat more complicated for the youths. Considering Paplo was younger than them all, his ignorance had an excuse. “Thirty five.”
“Teacher, I don’t understand.” Said one of the boys. Many others nodded, for they shared the confusion.
“Well…” Paplo couldn’t really explain them anything. He had to think of an excuse to divert their attention. “Next time, you should pay more attention to the class. That goes for all of you.”
In that precise moment, one of his fellow teachers walked by the classroom, and with a smile, he made a gesture with his hand before he moved on down the hall.
“It seems we’re done with mathematics for today,” announced Paplo. “What’s our last subject for the day?”
“Biology, mister teacher,”
“I see. Which page are we on?”
“Page eighty four,” announced one of the students after searching his book.
“Good,” said Paplo, closing his book and cleaning the chalkboard with a rag. He was relieved. “Start reading, anyone of you.”

The remaining break was easy to pass, for the children took turns in reading and Paplo did nothing but listen and nod. Not many questions were asked, and when they did, Paplo simply made the students re-read the same paragraph and take their own conclusions. Even if the children knew more than him, they couldn’t outsmart him. At least, not for now.
word count: 516
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Bad Teacher

Kovic

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: NA (solo thread)
Structure: 5/5
Knowledge:

Children: Answer questions
Mathematics: Has a pattern
Mathematics: Symbols and formulae
Mathematics: Number six minus number five equals number 1
Philosophy: More is better
Teaching: Rather like a dictatorship
Teaching: Writing on the board
Teaching: Asking questions

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA
Magic:
These points may NOT be used for arcana

Overview:

General comments. Oh my god I loved this thread! I was right there with you in that I laughed aloud a few times. I'm sorry, I know you asked for negative fame, but I really couldn't see any way of awarding you any ~ those children left having learnt something and had a lovely day. If you can think of anything, do drop me a pm and I'm happy to reconsider it!
Story Fun, funny, quirky and sad. I loved this thread and really enjoyed reviewing it.
Structure No issues, all good.

Please do PM me if you've got any questions
word count: 179
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Etzos”