The hunt begins

Kura really takes to her work

20th of Zi'da 716

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Council Member
Renown: 765
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The hunt begins

20th of Zi'da, 716

Kura looked down at Phelan as she walked through the Stormlands towards the farm that was her goal. "I know there's not likely to be a scent, Phelan, but we have to try. Those poor parents have been missing their child for so long." she said, gesturing in the direction of the farm she meant with her pipe before she took another puff from it.

"I agree, Kura, but do you really think we'll find that child alive?" Phelan said in her mind, his voice solemn. The great black wolf was enjoying that he was now allowed more time in physical form due to Kura's now public status as a Velduris Blessed, but he wasn't quite used to Kura's quirks yet.

"Of course she knows that Phelan." Speck's voice sounded in their minds as she flapped around above them. "It just doesn't matter to her. If nothing else though, we can give that poor family some closure, rather than leaving them in uncertainty." the owl said before she caught another thermal and soared back into the air again. "There's a farm about another half a break or so ahead, Kura. Probably our destination." she said as she continued to circle above Kura and Phelan.

Kura nodded at Speck's words. "Thank you, Speck. And she's right, Phelan. But even if your nose doesn't get us anywhere, my eyes might." she said, though they both knew the Mortalborn wasn't referring to her tracking ability but rather to her Mortalborn powers.

Phelan sneezed, but ultimately nodded at her. "Yes, you're right, of course. Besides, who knows, it could be fun to track someone who doesn't smell like beer for once." he said, his voice indignant.

Kura laughed and shrugged. "In this city, everyone probably smells like beer. But we'll hope." she said as the continued on their way to the farm.

308 words.
word count: 330
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The hunt begins

As they approached the farm, Kura put out her pipe and stowed in a pocket of her jacket before she paused to make sure her cloak was hanging properly and she was otherwise presentable. Aside from the massive wolf at her side, she looked the very model of a respectable hunter or tracker, which of course she was. Well, that and a mercenary, but that wasn't really a major issue at the moment, she figured.

Once she was ready, Kura walked up to the farmhouse and knocked on the door. There was a pause before the door opened, revealing a woman who clearly showed signs of distress. Disheveled clothes, obvious weight loss, bags under her eyes from lack of sleep, these all told of her sorry. "Yes?" she asked, her voice oddly empty.

"Mrs. Ambrose, my name is Kura Mareth, I'm a mercenary specializin' in trackin' people who have gone missin'. I'm here to see if I can help find your daughter." she said, her tone gentle. The woman looked at her a moment, then scowled slightly.

"We've had so many come up empty. I don't want to hope when there's no chance, not again. What could you do that they couldn't?" she asked, her tone harshened by grief and pain.

Kura smiled sympathetically at her and stepped aside, gesturing at Phelan. "I am Favored of Karem, the Immortal of the Hunt. My companion can speak to me, and I to him. There are other advantages of a similar nature. If there is a trail to be found in any fashion, I will find it." she said, her tone gentle, but reassuring. The grieving mother considered her words, and the wolf, for a moment before nodding and motioning for Kura to follow her.

The woman led her inside and into a small room that had evidently been Nala's, judging from the toys in the room. Kura let Phelan sniff around for a bit, but it had been long enough that the scent had started to fade and the wolf looked at her as he spoke in her mind. "Nothing, I'm afraid. Looks like it's down to you." he said, his tone regretful. Kura nodded at him and triggered Unshakable Tracker. The floor, and bed and the top of the dresser of all things, turned bright gold. Kura followed walked out of the room, followed the golden glow out of the house, and looked over the farm.

Nala's trail was all over the farm, and led to the city as well, but there was one trail that went off completely away from the city, and it was alone. "Did you ever take her to the west?" she asked the mother, who blinked in surprise and shook her head. "Then I have my trail. I will return as soon as I have proper word." she said, her tone gentle before she started off in the direction of the single trail.

Word Count: 488
word count: 502
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The hunt begins

The trail lasted for a long time, far longer than Kura had expected it to last. With Phelan at her side and Speck up in the skies above, Kura had expected to hear of any number of possible places the child had gone. Yet while Kura had heard of many places, they passed them without the trail veering towards any of them. "Whoever took that lass had a clear destination in mind." Kura said as she lit her pipe again. That fact alone had Kura on edge, since it meant she was liable to run into more trouble than she initially thought. One did not take a child unless one was prepared for possible trouble over it.

As they walked, she mulled that over for a bit, her eyes never leaving the trail. In truth, it was possible that criminals within the Eternal Empire tended to be more prepared than those in other lands, as the Empire had significantly more of Karem's Blessed than other regions did, meaning their noses could be put on the trail at almost any time. Taking a puff on her pipe, Kura considered the possibility that this criminal would be less prepared than the ones she was used to dealing with before shrugging the problem off. She would treat this child-taker as if they were the most dangerous and well-prepared of criminals. If they turned out to be less than her expectations, she would enjoy the pleasant surprise. If they met her expectations, she would be prepared for it.

The trio continued on the trail and eventually Kura signaled that there was a vineyard ahead of them. Kura considered the ramifications of that as they continued on the trail. A vineyard would make an ideal place to hide an abduction victim, as there was plenty of room to hide whatever they were imprisoned in. Fortunately, between Phelan's nose and her eyes, they would have no trouble finding the cell, if they were indeed kept on the plantation. And it seemed they were, as the trail veered towards the plantation with, going straight up to the door of the house ahead of them.

Kura paused for a moment and deactivated Unshakeable Tracker, then stepped out of sight of the vineyard windows. Wiping her eyes with her hands to try and clear the psychosomatic golden trail from her vision, Kura thought for a moment. She was fairly certain the kidnapped child was in there, and she had no moral inhibitions about breaking into the house and nailing every suspect to the wall with arrows. But she also had to consider the possible legal ramifications of her actions. She'd be trespassing, there was no doubt about that, but did she have legal reason to do so.

The more she thought about it, the more frustrated she became. Her experience as a judge came in handy here, as it allowed her to look at the legality of her actions from the viewpoint of one. So, with that in mind, Kura knew she didn't have enough evidence to acquire a warrant from the city, if they even gave them to mercenaries. She could go for probable cause, but she didn't feel she had enough evidence for that either, not unless she was able to find the child before the guards arrived.

Granted, she didn't know how long the guards would take and she was considering taking the risk when Speck spoke up. "Kura, weren't there two other children stolen from farms not too long ago." the owl asked.

Kura considered for a moment, then nodded. "Yes, Robert Ludwin and Tanya Vy'enaq. I almost went for them instead of Nala Ambrose, but I decided to take that case since I feel I had a better chance of solvin' it than most." she said in thought. "And I got where they lived." she said slowly, before looking up at Speck. "Speck, look around for a farm about a mile or two to the north of here." she said, before she looked at Phelan. "Phelan, go up to the door and get every scent you can while Speck looks about." she said as she re-lit her pipe. If the other two children all led to the same vineyard, it would be plenty of evidence for probable cause.

It wasn't long before Speck called back that she had found the farm, and Phelan returned shortly afterward. "All right, lets go." she said as they headed out according to Speck's directions. She hurried this time, as eager to continue this hunt as her familiars were. As they traveled, she sent out a silent thought. "Mother, thank you for teachin' me, trainin' me so that my strength not falter until these children are safe in their homes." It wasn't a prayer, not exactly, but rather a sincere showing of gratitude.

Word Count: 805
word count: 821
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

The hunt begins

Kura

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: NA (solo thread)
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

Endurance: Keeping focus on the trail for an extended period
Investigation: Considering all options for gathering evidence.
Investigation: Identifying the correct trail to follow
Investigation: Straight lines are meaningful trails
Investigation: Regional variations in behaviour.
Logistics: Planning to use all senses in an investigation
Logistics: Considering the consequences of actions and planning contingencies.
NPC: Mrs Ambrose
Velduris Ability: Unshakeable Tracker: Golden glow
Velduris Ability: Unshakeable Tracker: Shows you all trails, you must determine the correct one
Velduris Ability: Unshakeable Tracker: Leaves a psychosomatic trail in your eyes.

Loot:
NA
Fame:
+3 (investigating, giving the mother hope, not giving up - all good deeds!)
Magic:
These points may NOT be used for arcana
Devotion:
+1 (prayer to Karem), +5 (hunt an evil being)

Overview:

General comments. I've loved reviewing this thread! Kura is really take-charge, does what needs doing and you paint a really good visual picture with your words.
Story Great! I loved the relationship between Kura and the two animals ~ and it was always really clear who was who, too. Great pace, good cohesion. Loved it!
Structure No problems all good!

Please do PM me if you've got any questions
word count: 209
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Stormlands”